• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I really think it is as simple as this, like you say.

I've been saying since the exposure that Holland probably knew there was a very slim chance Mrazek would get claimed after shopping him. So he used the opportunity to send a message to his team. Guys who work hard will be rewarded, guys who act like little dick birds will not.

In the end, for all we know if McPhee did want to choose Mrazek, Holland then may have worked out a deal to avoid that. But McPhee wanted Nosek, so no big deal. 

I have no doubt McPhee gave each and every GM a chance to make an offer based on the player they had an interest in. Highly doubt any GM came out of that draft surprised. 

Edited by marcaractac

25 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

In the end, for all we know if McPhee did want to choose Mrazek, Holland then may have worked out a deal to avoid that. But McPhee wanted Nosek, so no big deal. 

I have no doubt McPhee gave each and every GM a chance to make an offer based on the player they had an interest in. Highly doubt any GM came out of that draft surprised. 

I'm not following.... How can McPhee want to choose Mrazek and Nosek at the same time? We know who he wanted, cause that's who he took. 

5 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Try re-reading

No need to be short. I have several times, and I'm honestly still not following....

Are you suggesting that Holland had a deal in place to protect Mrazek, but McPhee just said screw it and took Nosek at the last minute?

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No need to be short. I have several times, and I'm honestly still not following....

Are you suggesting that Holland had a deal in place to protect Mrazek, but McPhee just said screw it and took Nosek at the last minute?

Nope

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

...uhhh do you mind explaining then?

What happened in real life: McPhee wanted Nosek. McPhee drafted Nosek. Crisis averted.

A 'what if' scenario: McPhee has interest in Mrazek. Much like he likely did with each and every team, informed Holland of this interest in the event a deal can be worked out. If Mrazek was the guy McPhee wanted, we do not know, IN THIS SPECIFIC CASE, if Holland would have worked out a deal to protect him or not. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. We will never know the answer to that. Maybe Holland is done with Mrazek, maybe not protecting him was all a facade to send him a message. The fact is, we do not, nor will ever know the answer to that.                 

4 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

What happened in real life: McPhee wanted Nosek. McPhee drafted Nosek. Crisis averted.

A 'what if' scenario: McPhee has interest in Mrazek. Much like he likely did with each and every team, informed Holland of this interest in the event a deal can be worked out. If Mrazek was the guy McPhee wanted, we do not know, IN THIS SPECIFIC CASE, if Holland would have worked out a deal to protect him or not. Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't. We will never know the answer to that. Maybe Holland is done with Mrazek, maybe not protecting him was all a facade to send him a message. The fact is, we do not, nor will ever know the answer to that.                 

Thanks, sorry for the confusion...

I mean, Holland said straight up he would NOT make any deals to protect his players. Who goes goes. Unless you think he was lying....

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Thanks, sorry for the confusion...

I mean, Holland said straight up he would NOT make any deals to protect his players. Who goes goes. Unless you think he was lying....

A GM is always gonna say something like that if they don't need to make a deal though. But like I said, none of us know what could have happened if McPhee wanted Mrazek. I'm just glad he is still a Wing, and hope it remains that way come October. 

1 minute ago, marcaractac said:

A GM is always gonna say something like that if they don't need to make a deal though. But like I said, none of us know what could have happened if McPhee wanted Mrazek. I'm just glad he is still a Wing, and hope it remains that way come October. 

I don't think he would've made a deal, I think he would've changed who he exposed :ninja:

OK, but you're on record saying they shouldn't have given Howard as many starts and Coreau shouldn't have gotten as many as he did so they could play Mrazek even though he was playing like a dumpster fire all year.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Coreau was a worse "dumpster fire" than Mrazek, yet got more starts and the WC. That made a lot of sense every time he was face down on the ice trying in vain to stop a shot looking helpless. And Howard, well not much you can say about that. Injured 2/3 of the season. , Mrazek was the "starter" going into last season. Of course you give him some leeway. All starters get some leeway. But the obvious railroading that went on when his attitude issues began? The Coreau thing was what settled that for me. Two goalies playing bad, let's give the callup with no prior NHL experience a bunch of starts instead of the guy who's seen a lot more NHL action that you want to take the top job and keep it. Great strategy Jeff. Why not talk to the kid and tell him to change it up and work harder, that they want him to play like he's capable of, instead of just leaving tensions to fester? Maybe they did try, but with all the "insider" info out there about anything and everything, there's no mention of any of that.

That said, this season is different. There's obvious issues with him, I'm sure he's well aware if he doesn't deliver he's gone. Doesn't seem to be a set starter in mind yet. If he is given the job and sucks again, don't resign him. But don't use last seasons issues influence how you treat him when this new season starts. If he can put it behind him, management and coaches should too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was likely a mixture of all things. Rewarding Howard, sending Mrazek a message, and knowing that Vegas wouldn't likely claim Mrazek

Rewarding Howard for what?? Playing good but not playing much at all to be of any use? Why does 25 games in which he mostly didn't screw up so huge to you guys? I just don't get it. It's about time he got his s*** somewhat together after the heart attacks he gave fans on every shot for quite awhile. Too bad he wasn't around to help the team.

You'd think by the Howard love around here he totally turned s*** around and put up Vezina numbers through 60 games.

18 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Rewarding Howard for what?? Playing good but not playing much at all to be of any use? Why does 25 games in which he mostly didn't screw up so huge to you guys? I just don't get it. It's about time he got his s*** somewhat together after the heart attacks he gave fans on every shot for quite awhile. Too bad he wasn't around to help the team.

You'd think by the Howard love around here he totally turned s*** around and put up Vezina numbers through 60 games.

By the sounds of it Howard really worked hard to improve his game in the offseason after having a down year the year before. And the numbers reflect that. It makes sense that the team would want to reward the guy who works hard, it promotes meritocracy and work ethic on the team as a whole. It's too bad he received the injury he did, It would have saved us from the atrocious season Mrazek had. Despite what you would imply, Howard has never had a season as bad as Mraz did this year.

Howard love around here? After 3,297 posts I would think you have been around here long enough to know this place as been Mrazek love fest since he entered the league. Only now is everyone coming back down to earth... but that doesn't mean people love Howard around here lol.  

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

The bottom line is Mrazek was horrible. One of the worst in the league. That's not just kind of bad, or slumping. It was garbage. He's young. So what. That doesn't mean​ he's due to a bounce back just because his first few months in the NHL were good. Teams figured out his flaws and how to beat him and he never adjusted. Happens often.

35 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Coreau was a worse "dumpster fire" than Mrazek, yet got more starts and the WC. That made a lot of sense every time he was face down on the ice trying in vain to stop a shot looking helpless. And Howard, well not much you can say about that. Injured 2/3 of the season. , Mrazek was the "starter" going into last season. Of course you give him some leeway. All starters get some leeway. But the obvious railroading that went on when his attitude issues began? The Coreau thing was what settled that for me. Two goalies playing bad, let's give the callup with no prior NHL experience a bunch of starts instead of the guy who's seen a lot more NHL action that you want to take the top job and keep it. Great strategy Jeff. Why not talk to the kid and tell him to change it up and work harder, that they want him to play like he's capable of, instead of just leaving tensions to fester? Maybe they did try, but with all the "insider" info out there about anything and everything, there's no mention of any of that.

That said, this season is different. There's obvious issues with him, I'm sure he's well aware if he doesn't deliver he's gone. Doesn't seem to be a set starter in mind yet. If he is given the job and sucks again, don't resign him. But don't use last seasons issues influence how you treat him when this new season starts. If he can put it behind him, management and coaches should too.

Lol you're an endless carousel of the same narrative my friend. Here we go around again!

When you're playing as awful as Mrazek plus pissing off the team, coaches, and management, they start looking for other options. Coreau was that option. The option didn't work out, but I don't blame them for wanting to try something new. Mrazek didn't do anything but shoot himself in the foot.

The bottom line is Mrazek was horrible. One of the worst in the league. That's not just kind of bad, or slumping. It was garbage. He's young. So what. That doesn't mean​ he's due to a bounce back just because his first few months in the NHL were good. Teams figured out his flaws and how to beat him and he never adjusted. Happens often.

Well hopefully he works hard this summer and gets to camp with his head in the right place, and listens to any advice about changing that over aggressive style that has become known to opposing shooters. Any goalie can change. Just because he hasn't faced much adversity in his career, and has probably had his ego pumped quite a bit, doesn't mean he should have an entitled or "I'm better than everyone " attitude. It is the NHL, and if he wants to stay and have a starting job, he'll have to put in the time to get there. If he doesn't, it's a waste of talent. But I'll wait until the end of next season before I consider him a bust. I think the major thing is his ego. I've said before he never looks rattled or concerned after giving up a few goals, which is good, but at the same time he can't just shrug it off. Won't get far like that. We'll all see this season what becomes of him.

I'm interested to hear how/if teams view another team's protected list and use that as negotiations for possible trades. Obviously seeing who is protected and who isn't should tip the hands of GMs and how they value some of their players. Wondering if some GMs out there are smart enough to leverage that.