• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Longest Game in AHL History

Rate this topic

Lehigh Valley Phantoms beat the Charlotte Checkers 2-1 in the 5th overtime last night. 146:48 (over 2.5 hours).

Alex Lyon got the win for the Phantoms, stopping 94 of 95 shots (0.989 save percentage)... That's insane!

Too bad Charlotte couldn't have thrown 6 more shots on net, so he could have (maybe) hit the 100 save plateau...

I remember watching game 1 of the Anaheim/Dallas series in 2003.  That one also ended in the 5th overtime, though I believe it was in the very first minute of the 5th overtime.  The game started at either 6:00 or 6:30 p.m. local time, and ended after 1:00 a.m.  I was rooting for the Ducks, but after a certain point, I just wanted someone to score.  You watch just to see if it will ever end.   

I can only imagine how much a game like that takes out of a team.  Especially the losing team.  94 saves is remarkable.  That goalie will be sore after the game.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Lehigh Valley Phantoms beat the Charlotte Checkers 2-1 in the 5th overtime last night. 146:48 (over 2.5 hours).

Alex Lyon got the win for the Phantoms, stopping 94 of 95 shots (0.989 save percentage)... That's insane!

Too bad Charlotte couldn't have thrown 6 more shots on net, so he could have (maybe) hit the 100 save plateau...

That has to be a record?

Nope.

Incredibly, Lyon's performance isn't even a league record. Former Albany River Rats goalie Michael Leighton made 98 saves in another five-overtime playoff game back in 2008, and it was the Phantoms who also won that game. (Best 5OT hockey team in the world!) Leighton may narrowly hold the record, but he was on the losing side of that contest.

NHL records:

• Most saves by a goaltender, in an NHL regular season game: Sam LoPresti (March 4, 1941), 80
  • Most saves by a goaltender, in an NHL playoff game: Normie Smith (March 24, 1936), 92
1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

I like that Lyon kid. Kenny?????

You want Leighton too? Lightning. Bottle.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

That has to be a record?

Nope.

Incredibly, Lyon's performance isn't even a league record. Former Albany River Rats goalie Michael Leighton made 98 saves in another five-overtime playoff game back in 2008, and it was the Phantoms who also won that game. (Best 5OT hockey team in the world!) Leighton may narrowly hold the record, but he was on the losing side of that contest.

NHL records:

• Most saves by a goaltender, in an NHL regular season game: Sam LoPresti (March 4, 1941), 80
  • Most saves by a goaltender, in an NHL playoff game: Normie Smith (March 24, 1936), 92

You want Leighton too? Lightning. Bottle.

Leighton would be good for depth. We do need warm bodies in net in the system. lol

Lyon actually has promise.

On 5/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Fixed it for ya.

Haha watch out, he will be one somewhere in the league next season. Maybe even Detroit. Holland got a third and Philly isn't re-signing him. Kenny loves re-signing former Wings, and he won't have to pay him close to 4 million anymore...

I'm joking. Kinda...

On 5/11/2018 at 2:50 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

I haven't.  I frequently joke that he should play in some Wings games, just to play behind this sorry ass defense that he's assembled over the years.  

HAHA He's worth a shot. Can't be any worse than our great Howard/Coreau tandem.

18 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Haha watch out, he will be one somewhere in the league next season. Maybe even Detroit. Holland got a third and Philly isn't re-signing him. Kenny loves re-signing former Wings, and he won't have to pay him close to 4 million anymore...

I'm joking. Kinda...

HAHA He's worth a shot. Can't be any worse than our great Howard/Coreau tandem.

Holland/Mrazek would be worse.

Have Holland sign a deal where if he doesn’t win 40 games he’s fired and can’t accept a GM job anywhere in the league for ten years. He’ll suck, we’ll be rid of him, and have the best lottery odds. Mrazek over Coreau at backup would actually win you some games though, so maybe not a good idea.

Holland/Coreau. Tank on.