• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

11/15 Let's Get This Bread GDT - Red Wings @ Senators - 7:30 PM ET

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I get it, someone's gotta keep the board afloat.

You're the hero LGW deserves, but not the one it needs. So we'll hunt you, because you can take it. Because you're not our hero, but a silent guardian, a watchful protector.

Feel free to quote me, I definitely just made that up. 

To be perfectly honest I hate the whole "he's too young we can't talk about him yet" trope. I think we should be able to speak frankly, and critically, about any player regardless of age. 

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

To be perfectly honest I hate the whole "he's too young we can't talk about him yet" trope. I think we should be able to speak frankly, and critically, about any player regardless of age. 

Uh. We can talk for sure. Hell we talk about them before they are drafted. What we can't do is seal their fate using small sample sizes. I would have shipped Mantha off to Montreal for a smoked meat sandwich at the start of this season. Thankfully, 9 games (or 16) doth not a player maketh. 

57 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

I get it, someone's gotta keep the board afloat.

You're the hero LGW deserves, but not the one it needs. So we'll hunt you, because you can take it. Because you're not our hero, but a silent guardian, a watchful protector.

Feel free to quote me, I definitely just made that up. 

What is The Dark Knight Rises? What do I win Alex?

46 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

One of my favorite things to do is talk about prospects, they're definitely not off limits. It just needs to be taken into consideration that they're simply not the person they're going to be yet, mentally or physically. Everything you've critiqued about him I think we agree on for the most part, I just don't think we can use it to determine the player he's going to be years from now with any accuracy yet. With that in mind I tend to just fall back on skill set, drive, etc. At least until there's a reasonable sample size, and I did say previously I'd reevaluate my feelings on Zadina later in the season.

9 hours ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Uh. We can talk for sure. Hell we talk about them before they are drafted. What we can't do is seal their fate using small sample sizes. I would have shipped Mantha off to Montreal for a smoked meat sandwich at the start of this season. Thankfully, 9 games (or 16) doth not a player maketh. 

9 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

One of my favorite things to do is talk about prospects, they're definitely not off limits. It just needs to be taken into consideration that they're simply not the person they're going to be yet, mentally or physically. Everything you've critiqued about him I think we agree on for the most part, I just don't think we can use it to determine the player he's going to be years from now with any accuracy yet. With that in mind I tend to just fall back on skill set, drive, etc. At least until there's a reasonable sample size, and I did say previously I'd reevaluate my feelings on Zadina later in the season.

Going off what Zombo said: "Hell we talk about them before they are drafted"

This is kinda my issue. We go all in dissecting these kids prior to the draft, then they get drafted and suddenly its "you can't judge them yet, they haven't had time to reach their potential!"

From my POV, if you can dissect them before the draft, you should be able to at any time throughout their career, including passing judgement about their cieling or comparing them to well known NHLers.

I think a bias exists, that once they become Red Wings (and I'm sure this is true of any franchise) suddenly we go tribal and defend our boy at all costs. I'm certainly guilty of this behavior myself at most drafts...