• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gniwder

Chase Pearson

Rate this topic

I feel like this kid has been completely overlooked and never talked about... but is probably going to be one of the next players to make this team.

6'2" 200lb center
2015, 5th round pick
23 years old. Turns 24 in August 2021

2019/20 season: First full year in the AHL. Scored 22 pts in 59 games (28 pt pace)
2020/21 season: Second full year in the AHL. 15 pts in 22 games (52 pt pace)

Praised for being physically mature and strong. Plays with grit and edge and goes to the dirty areas (racked up penalty minutes in the USHL and college). Used to playing in a shutdown role and can win draws. Horcoff has had him working on his offensive game which seems to be developing nicely. Son of former NHLer Scott Pearson who was a grinder for the Leafs/Sabres/Oilers. Father Scott had 38 fighting majors in just under 300 games played.

Pearson looks like he's quickly developing into a bottom 6 shutdown center for this team who likes to crash in the corners and towards the net. At 24 he's probably going to get his cup of NHL coffee next year.

Would he not have to usurp L.GD. though?  With Veleno and Rasmussen and Namestnikov already fighting for the middle six C positions.......

I guess he may get a call when injuries injure. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

13 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

I feel like this kid has been completely overlooked and never talked about... but is probably going to be one of the next players to make this team.

6'2" 200lb center
2015, 5th round pick

2019/20 season: First full year in the AHL. Scored 22 pts in 59 games (28 pt pace)

Praised for being physically mature and strong. Plays with grit and edge and goes to the dirty areas (racked up penalty minutes in the USHL and college). Used to playing in a shutdown role and can win draws. Horcoff has had him working on his offensive game which seems to be developing nicely. Son of former NHLer Scott Pearson who was a grinder for the Leafs/Sabres/Oilers. Father Scott had 38 fighting majors in just under 300 games played.

Pearson looks like he's quickly developing into a bottom 6 shutdown center for this team who likes to crash in the corners and towards the net. At 24 he's probably going to get his cup of NHL coffee next year.

Totally agree. Love this kid. He's Glendening with a little more offense. He actually scores quite well when you consider how little TOI he gets. He's also another guy I could see playing the "Tyler Bertuzzi" role on the wing if he can't stick at center. Big fan of Pearson.

17 minutes ago, Gniwder said:

6'2" 200lb center
2015, 5th round pick

Seems like a good fit to eventually take disney.com 's riole

Just watched a buncha videos of him including Blash talking about him a lil

Seems very smart and put together. Majored in finance at U of Maine. Reads and listens to podcasts instead of playing vidya and watching netflix like his teammates. Says he's focused on becoming a 200ft player who plays both sides of the puck. His biggest takeaway and lesson from his father was always playing with consistency.

Blash praises him for "knowing exactly what type of player he is and doing that".

1 hour ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Would he not have to usurp L.GD. though?  With Veleno and Rasmussen and Namestnikov already fighting for the middle six C positions.......

I guess he may get a call when injuries injure. 

The only pure centers we seem to have are Larkin and Rasmussen.

Veleno played wing in the SHL
disney.com plays RW
Namestnikov plays LW and RW

There will be a spot for Pearson if he earns it.

3 hours ago, Gniwder said:

The only pure centers we seem to have are Larkin and Rasmussen.

Veleno played wing in the SHL
disney.com plays RW
Namestnikov plays LW and RW

There will be a spot for Pearson if he earns it.

All of those guys are centers. They got moved to the wing because there's too many centers on the team, not because they can't play the position.

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

Just sayin'...

Damn, he musta read our thread.

He's now at a 56 pt pace in 76 AHL games. Tied for 3rd in goal scoring with Givani Smith, who he is outpacing in AHL scoring.

Kids looking like what we expected Dominic Turgeon should've been. I see the comparisons to Luke Glendening, but he sorta reminds me of Derek Grant or Riley Nash.

15 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Veleno might get some competition next year. 

FWIW, Pearson scored at a very similar rate to Veleno in their AHL rookie season despite playing significantly fewer (and definitely harder) minutes.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

FWIW, Pearson scored at a very similar rate to Veleno in their AHL rookie season despite playing significantly fewer (and definitely harder) minutes.

Have we finally reached the stage in the rebuild where prospects competes with other prospects for spots and not with veterans?

50 minutes ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Former captain at maine as well he’ll 100% be a redwing game 1 next season

Not sure he'll be on the opening night roster, but I do think he's lining himself up nicely to be the #1 callup next year.

I'm thinking Svechnikov and Smith will make the opening night roster. Then it will be a competition among Veleno/Pearson/Hirose/Raymond/Berggren depending on where everyone gets assigned.

Of course Svechnikov and Hirose may not be on this team next year, and Berggren and Raymond may not come over yet, so there is a possibility it's Veleno v. Pearson for the last spot.

Edited by Gniwder

5 minutes ago, Akakabuto said:

Have we finally reached the stage in the rebuild where prospects competes with other prospects for spots and not with veterans?

I'm loving the fact that we basically have a bunch of kids in the lineup right now and they're playing pretty even with some of the better teams in the league. The argument against bringing kids into the lineup too early has always been that they'll give up too many chances...and then they brought the kids into the lineup...and they didn't give up too many chances. For the first time in a long time I think there's going to be genuine competition for those bottom of the lineup spots.