• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
vangvace

Latest Fix the NHL article

Rate this topic

I pretty much agree with most of what he has to say, there's a few things I didn't think of though. Increasing the net size to me is a no-brainer- I don't get why there's so many people opposed to it. Too many easy butterfly saves get made, a LARGE percentage of goals scored I saw in the playoffs were what I would consider garbage goals, where you nearly have to shove the goalie into the net to get the puck in.

Moving the season back is a dang good idea I hadn't thought of, it ties into the ice quality idea as well. Poor ice quality helps teams like the Ducks who have little scoring talent and a lot of checking line forwards, which I think makes for a boring game.

I didn't think of the composite stick issue, but I think he's got a point. Bring back the Sher-woods!

Firing Gary Buttman is a given.... please do, thank you!

I pretty much agree with most of what he has to say, there's a few things I didn't think of though. Increasing the net size to me is a no-brainer- I don't get why there's so many people opposed to it. Too many easy butterfly saves get made, a LARGE percentage of goals scored I saw in the playoffs were what I would consider garbage goals, where you nearly have to shove the goalie into the net to get the puck in.

Moving the season back is a dang good idea I hadn't thought of, it ties into the ice quality idea as well. Poor ice quality helps teams like the Ducks who have little scoring talent and a lot of checking line forwards, which I think makes for a boring game.

I didn't think of the composite stick issue, but I think he's got a point. Bring back the Sher-woods!

Firing Gary Buttman is a given.... please do, thank you!

I will never get into the "ZOIKIES OMFRICKING GOD BETTMAN IS A MENTAL MORON IDIOT" 1-liners without showing justification or reasons WHY people think he should get fired because they are just stupid to me, but after recently reading that there are plans to increase goal sizes by 8 inches wide and 6 inches high, I'm open to giving it a shot. When you think about it, the nets won't look all that much bigger to the fans, especially if they attend a game live, but the puck is small enough to where it could make some difference, and goalies would definitely have to use more lateral movement.

9) No no no no no! They better not increase the net size a millimeter before they seriously crack down on goaltender pads. Decrease the ridiculous trapper size, decrease the blocker a little bit, shave some more off the leg pads, and definitely work on preventing the Michelin men goalies like Luongo and Giguere.

I agree that the nets should not be changed at all. And the pad thing has been addressed again by the league. When purchasing my new glove I found out that leg pads, blockers and trappers have all been given new size specs for next year. Being a goalie I was kinda dissappointed that I was going to have to learn to play with new stuff, but my new smaller trapper actually made my glove hand more effective. Being a goalie, the only concern I have about smaller equipment is the protection on the fingers of the blocker hand. Already I take a lot of slapshots of my index finger of my blocker hand, if my blocker is shorter I can see this happening a lot more. Watch and I bet there will be a lot of broken fingers next year, otherwise I am all for smaller equipment, it just makes goalies faster!

I will never get into the "ZOIKIES OMFRICKING GOD BETTMAN IS A MENTAL MORON IDIOT" 1-liners without showing justification or reasons WHY people think he should get fired because they are just stupid to me, but after recently reading that there are plans to increase goal sizes by 8 inches wide and 6 inches high, I'm open to giving it a shot. When you think about it, the nets won't look all that much bigger to the fans, especially if they attend a game live, but the puck is small enough to where it could make some difference, and goalies would definitely have to use more lateral movement.

What the hell does everyone that dislikes him, which is a pretty damn big crowd have to spell it out for you every time they post???

There's nothing more negative about the guy that I could possibly say that's not been said a bazillion times before. It's as understood as the sun rising in the east. Hell for that matter really I shouldn't even need to say I don't like him anymore. Who the hell does, like him that is?

Edited by ltgator333

Because when he took over the game in 1993, it was in good shape and one of the more popular sports. Now he's turned it into a second-tier sport and his failed economic vision has cost us a season and a half.

What the hell does everyone that dislikes him, which is a pretty damn big crowd have to spell it out for you every time they post???

There's nothing more negative about the guy that I could possibly say that's not been said a bazillion times before. It's as understood as the sun rising in the east. Hell for that matter really I shouldn't even need to say I don't like him anymore. Who the hell does, like him that is?

I certainly don’t think much of Bettman, but I don’t think much of the “Bettman is the devil of the solar system†jabs either, because they are getting as old and stale and annoying as “Lang is lazy and he sucks†or “Trade Draper†or “Wings need grit and size†statements that have no substance or support to them whatsoever.

WHY is Lang lazy?

WHY do you want to trade Draper, and WHO should the Wings trade him for?

WHO should the Wings pick up that fits size and grit, and will they be able to afford him under the salary cap?

WHY is Bettman so bad?

I don’t care if the answers are obvious. Whenever it’s possible, give us some REASONS, give us some DETAIL, give us brief INSIGHT. Give us WHO/WHAT/WHEN WHERE/WHY. Show us you (not you specifically in this case, speaking more in general terms) know what you are talking about. I don’t think that is too hard of a request.

Anybody can say that Bettman stinks or that the Wings need more size, etc. without elaborating.

Because when he took over the game in 1993, it was in good shape and one of the more popular sports. Now he's turned it into a second-tier sport and his failed economic vision has cost us a season and a half.

Allthough there's much more to be said, that's the sum affect of the man's tenure right there. We are ALLOWED to take small jabs at him. It's our right.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Get over it.

EDIT-

Oh yea, we WERE talking about something of substance so let's get back to it-

About the larger goal thing.. I got in a discussion with someone about it today and they're a "no you gotta make the goalies' equipment smaller" kind of person- really I think even if they did that, they should still make the goals at least 4 inches wider. I wanna see some goals that didn't have to pinball off everything to actually get into the goal.

Edited by ltgator333

I for one miss the old names of the divisions. I am so tired of the north, west, east, central, south, south by south west division names.

The trophies have great names, think about it what other sport names there trophy for MVP. Most just call it the NL or AL or NFL MVP award.

I agree though Hockey is becoming way too americanized, IMHO!! (I am American, FYI).

Increase the net size is the only one I truly disagree with (in fact, it's just plain ridiculous). Scoring is not that far down as to what it was pre-lockout days. If you want to solve the scoring droughts, then make these mediocre goalies like Giguere wear normal sized pads. Compliment that with somehow enforcing teams not to play the trap. It's a stretch, but if given the crudentials, it can be done.