• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cruiser008

Detroit Pistons (and NBA) Playoff Thread

Rate this topic

HI DERE MY NAME IS SAN ANTONIO AND I AM SCARED s***LESS

Serisouly though, where is Rampage now?  Gowings go should be here posting if he appreciates a good game of basketball, or is he so embarassed after kissing S.A.s ass that he doesn't want to show up?  I'm not trying to talk smack or say that the Pistons are gonna beat the s**t out of them next game (which they most likely will though) I'm just wondering why they can dish it out but they can't take it....

I will admit to being a huge puss after the losses. I am a very meek individual.

Game 6 is gon' be a doozy.

Edited by Rampage_Winger

You know, this is probably the first time ever in my history of watching home town playoff games that I marveled at a player on the other team single handedly destroying MY team. Robert Horry, as much as it sucks, was a treat to watch, I'd rather us have won, I'd rather see a sweep and a boring series than see Horry go off, but to be honest, that type of performance doesn't happen a lot anymore. McGrady did it in the season, Horry does it off the bench. I'm still confident, but to be honest, when a guy like Horry is hot, there's not much you can do.

In my defense, I was grieving and coming into this hornets nest would be an act of masochism.

This was what I had wanted Game 4 to look like. Two teams with equal intensity keeping it close the whole 48 (or in this instance, 53). Eh, better late then never?

Thought I had made a post about this before. I'm thinking I made this comment to my brother who is a die hard Pistons fan.

Detroit, meet the DAGGER, Robert Horry.

The man wins at least 1 game for every playoff series he is involved in. I almost want to say he hits more clutch shots than Jordan did, but he isn't the star of his team like 23 was. When he hit the 3 in OT I told my wife the ball almost always goes back to the inbounding player for the shot.

Detroit played great ball in games 3 & 4. San Antonio had to answer the call or risk getting the 2-4 sweep again. If memory serves me right San Antonio lost 2 games at home in the regular season, once to Denver in the playoffs and I think once to the Suns as well.

The game last night was a good battle but should have never went to overtime if Duncan could hit a free throw. Memo to Tim Duncan, bend your knees and let your LEGS do the shooting for you so we don't have to watch an extra 20 minutes worth of ball. If I'm Pop I'm having Timmy shoot an extra 200 free throws after their shoot-around today and Tuesday.

Any bets Rampage and Gowingsgo will be back now?

*EDIT* I don't think Detroit is going to win two in a row at S.A.  To stand a chance they are going to have to play their best game ever in game 6 and then play even better in game 7...

I win.

"The game last night was a good battle but should have never went to overtime if Duncan could hit a free throw."

I can just counter with if Detroit would have played better it would not have gone into overtime, that first half was pretty sad for Detroit but the second was a little better. At the end of the first half nearly everyone said that S.A. played a perfect half yet they where still tied to a Detroit team that was turning the ball over, getting pounded on the boards, and just not playing good. And if Chauncey hits all his free throws it wouldn't have went into overtime, he missed a few. Detroit had a 4 point lead in overtime and blew it, didn't take care of the ball, took stupid shots, etc so they shoulda won that game. We can sit here and say coulda, woulda, and shouldas all day long but it really doesn't matter, S.A. won and that is the bottom line.

Does f'n Manu ever miss when he drives to the lane? I mean....damn...he drives and it's like an automatic bucket. If the Pistons foul him when he does that next game they better foul him hard, knock him on his ass, if you are gonna foul him get your fouls worth. I really think they are gonna have to beat up the Spurs physically to win game 6. I know the Pistons like it when their back is against the wall but they can't be happy going into S.A. down 3-2. The Pistons can do it, they are good enough, but it will be very, very tough.

*EDIT* In regards to Horry, he beats you in the fourth quarter, he just goes off. The first three quarters are almost non-existent and then the fourth rolls along and boom he comes out of nowhere. The Pistons have to be smarter with him next time, when you don't want to give up a three you do not leave Horry all alone...

Edited by dallas27

Also it was good to see Tayshaun actually start to do something as well, I was getting pretty sick of him just sitting there the whole game. Post him up next game, get Sheed hitting 3's, Chauncey drivin' and Rip jumpin'...

The game last night was a good battle but should have never went to overtime if Duncan could hit a free throw.
I don't agree, the ONLY reason the Spurs went to overtime is because of Robert Horry, the ONLY reason the Spurs won was because of Robert Horry. Robert Horry had to come up with the game of his LIFE to be able for the Spurs to win by ONE POINT. I honestly don't see that ever happening again.

It's so funny how some of you guys jump off the bandwagon and forget what type of team we have here. It's like we've never come back from adversity. I mean s**t, did you guys watch the game last night? It was OUR game from the begining, we lost because Horry went mega-clutch and had the best game of his career. I honestly don't think we're in that bad of shape. If they can win in our building we can win twice in theirs.

btw gowingsgo, are you acting like we didn't know what horry was capable of? horry doesn't "win 1 game a series for his team" where was he against the sonics? where was he against dallas? He's made more clutch shots from 3 land than any other person, but come on man, come back to earth. that was his one great game of the series, reminds me of the game the 76'ers one when Webber went off. I'm not worried, never have been. We've won 2 games in a row before, the Spurs aren't invincible.

Horry helped but that wasn't the only reason there was overtime. The Pistons didn't play their kind of basketball, they were playing sloppy and getting beat on the boards. From the start of the game you could tell they weren't the same team that they were in games 3 and 4, they had no jump from the start. They picked it up a little but the Spurs in a way shaped the game. Detroit had to adjust and didn't adjust to their game.

About Prince, I don't like seeing him on Manu, he gets beat a lot and he teammates cover for him. Manu didn't get a lot of points in the three games in Detroit but of the times that he did shoot the ball how many of the times was it Prince on him and not a different Detroit player?

Horry helped but that wasn't the only reason there was overtime.

uh, yes he was the only reason why there was an overtime, did you see his stats in the 4th quarter? if horry doesn't go off, we're up 3-2 going to SA.

I still don't believe it.. You could also say that even if Horry went off if the Pistons played *their kind of game then there would be no overtime either. Horry was the reason the Spurs won overtime.. but he didn't put them there, he just helped them.

Edited by shortt1604

I still don't believe it.. You could also say that even if Horry went off if the Pistons played *their kind of game then there would be no overtime either. Horry was the reason the Spurs won overtime.. but he didn't put them there, he just helped them.

He had TWENTY ONE points in the FOURTH QUARTER, he made 5 of 6 3 pointers, he's clutch, he's the ONLY reason it was close in the 4th, period.

We could play the 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' game all night... If Chauncy hits his driving layup with the Pistons up by two late in OT then Horry's shot doesn't give them the lead. Spurs would've been reduced to a quick two and fouling (which is what Miami went through in Game 7.)

That said, it was a great game and a tough loss. And I *will not* count this team out. I thought they were done after dropping the first two in this series and they proved me wrong. They've proved me wrong too many times in the past for me to question their resiliency.

Hey, all it takes is a close win in Game 6 and all bets are off for Thursday night....

He had TWENTY ONE points in the FOURTH QUARTER, he made 5 of 6 3 pointers, he's clutch, he's the ONLY reason it was close in the 4th, period.

Yeah it's almost impossible to defend against someone that's having that kind of streak - they could have obscured his shot all they wanted and who knows, it still might have gone in... tough one --really thought in OT the Pistons were going to win. Duncan fizzled out - Ginobli was *reasonably* contained -- Spurs were indeed a one-man show there at the end. sad.gif

We could play the 'shoulda, woulda, coulda' game all night... If Chauncy hits his driving layup with the Pistons up by two late in OT then Horry's shot doesn't give them the lead. Spurs would've been reduced to a quick two and fouling (which is what Miami went through in Game 7.)

Chauncey didn't hit his driving layup(s) because he was fouled...but i can't complain. It was a fairly reffed game. Rip actully fouled Bowen at the end and they let him take the shot....So , all and all it was a tough loss. Detroit didn't have the energy they did in games 3 and 4...Oh Well.

...but i can't complain. It was a fairly reffed game.

Exactly. And judging by the replays Chauncey just plain missed it more than he was fouled.

(And Rip elbowed Parker, not Bowen at the end. Popovich had switched Bowen out on Billups near the end of OT.)

Here's a quote from ESPN.com's Bill Simmons that pretty much sums up how I feel about the game 5 loss.

My favorite thing about Sunday night's game: When Horry drained that go-ahead three at the end of the third quarter, it was like sitting at a poker table with a good player who plays possum for an hour, then suddenly pushes a stack of chips into the middle. Uh-oh. He's making his move. You could just see it coming. The rest of the game played out like that – the Spurs always one mistake from blowing the game, Horry bailing them out again and again. By the time he jammed home that astounding lefty dunk in overtime, everyone knew the game would somehow end up in Horry's hands.

Well, everyone but Rasheed Wallace.

(That reminds me. We're always too quick to demolish athletes who make dumb plays or screw up at the worst possible times, from Byner's fumble to C-Webb's timeout to poor Bill Buckner … but at the same time, I feel like 'Sheed's brainfart will somehow get swept under the rug in the afterglow of such an electric game. Let the record show that Wallace's decision to leave a scorching-hot Horry to double-team Ginobili was the single dumbest play in the history of the NBA Finals. For sweeping significance and staggering inexplicability, it cannot be topped. I'm telling you.)

Link

Bill Simmons is usually a damn good read.

Game 6 goes one of two ways.

San Antonio blows Detroit out.....not likely...maybe at the end of the 4th.

Close game to the wire like Game 5....very likely....watch out for that Dagger wearing #5.

Detroit has a lot to hold its head up for after its come from behind wins the past few seasons. This could be the same, but San Antonio is NOT an easy place to go and win a basketball game.

Sheed is taking a LOT of criticism today and most of it is DESERVED. I mean trying to call a TO when there was none left, knowing seen C-Webb do it time after time on the news and with UNC..... WTF R U kidding me??

I suppose losing in OT isn't as bad as if we had lost in regulation on either 1) A game-winning tip-in by Duncan, or 2) A technical foul.... at least we still know that Timmy is UN-CLUTCH.

For game 6 (assuming we can't win running away, 'cause the Spurs are freakin' amazing at home. P.S. I do hope Detroit can prove me wrong on this assumption) all Detroit can do is play scrappy, keep the game close and force the ball into Duncan's hands during crunch time.

Edited by Cruiser008

The TO was called after the time had expired to Sheed's credit. Although had another tenth or two been on the clock a T would have had to been called. Bottom line, if Tim Duncan could hit his free throws the game doesnt come down to that situation. But thats basketball and when the big man gets tired late he doesnt use his legs like he would in the first quarter

I hope the game is as competitive as the last was.