• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mannysBETTER3434

Goalie Situation

Rate this topic

Just wondered what other Griffin fans think of next years goalie situation. There are alot of different possibilities that could happen:

Howard/Liv

Howard/McDonald

Howard/MacIntyre

Plus many more if Howard joined the Wings

My thoughts

Howard: He will obviously be on the team if he isn't on the Wings next year

Liv: Don't have a clue about the guy, but he has to play in GR or DET next year

McDonald: Sounds like he's 100% which is great news. I would love to see him back next year, but I think he may be odd man out.

MacIntyre: Played huge for us everytime the door opened up for him (including big time in the playoffs) Maybe another year with the Storm?

Thoughts?

I think Drew's chances are slim to none. My guess is, he will play in Toledo until his Wing contract is up. We have to many goalies, and he is the one that will get the "shaft".

Joey Mac is way over-rated., IMO. He gets in net, and even the SA Rampage look like a good team.

Personally, I think Howard/Liv would be the best way to go in GR, and if the wings sign another goalie, that will happen.

McDonald will never play for the wings, i feel bad for the guy. Drew MacIntyre is a great promising young player who will be the AHL backup two years from now to Liv (If they dump osgood then Liv will be the NHL backup and Drew MacIntyre will play as the AHL starter).

Howard reminds me of Legace, he runs hot and cold and you never know which is going to show up. He needs much more work and is no Cam Ward. I don't know about Joey with all the injuries, it doesn't inspire confidence he will ever last. Once you have a bad back its usually a life long issue.

I would go with Liv and Drew.

Howard reminds me of Legace, he runs hot and cold and you never know which is going to show up. He needs much more work and is no Cam Ward. I don't know about Joey with all the injuries, it doesn't inspire confidence he will ever last. Once you have a bad back its usually a life long issue.

Thats interesting...but I think you have to go with Howard for sure next year just because the Wings are high on him. I completley agree though that he was hot and cold.

i don't see drew in GR for much longer, would be surprised if he makes it through camp.

i sure won't miss joey mac, not to mention that type of injury could really lead to very little for his future.

i concur with howard/liv and hope liv sees more starts sooner than later to get used to the different angles and ice surface... and possibly land with detroit later in the season.

i look forward to seeing howard develop into a better netminder... should play a lot in GR but i'm all for him being #2 with detroit... not going to keep repeating my disdain for biron and other overpriced FA.

you get the point....

This season in Griffins net will be Jimmy Howard and Stefan Liv... nobody else. I wrote on my blog aboout Drew MacIntyre problems when to Griffins arrived Liv. Liv has very good season in Sweden, Howard and MacIntyre has good season too, but Howard is more potential player than Drew. Drew never will be play on NHL level... never ever [i like Drew very much, but he is not the NHL goalie and won't be].

Probably the first goalie in Griffis will be Howard, but Liv will be play often.

Sorry for my english :D

Drew MacIntyre is gone now, so that helps to ease the log-jam at the position just a little bit. The way I see it is like this:

DETROIT:

#1 - Hasek

#2 - Osgood

GRAND RAPIDS:

#1 - Howard. He's the future of the team, and needs as much game time as possible to develop.

#2 - Liv. He's a nice prospect who will probably beat out MacDonald for the backup job, and should be the guy that gets called up if Hasek or Osgood get injured, as Howard needs game time in Grand Rapids more than the experience of sitting on the bench with Detroit.

TOLEDO:

#1 - MacDonald. I've got nothing against the guy, but I can't see him beating out any of the four above him.

Drew MacIntyre is gone now, so that helps to ease the log-jam at the position just a little bit. The way I see it is like this:

DETROIT:

#1 - Hasek

#2 - Osgood

GRAND RAPIDS:

#1 - Howard. He's the future of the team, and needs as much game time as possible to develop.

#2 - Liv. He's a nice prospect who will probably beat out MacDonald for the backup job, and should be the guy that gets called up if Hasek or Osgood get injured, as Howard needs game time in Grand Rapids more than the experience of sitting on the bench with Detroit.

TOLEDO:

#1 - MacDonald. I've got nothing against the guy, but I can't see him beating out any of the four above him.

:clap: bravo!

i wouldn't make one change to this post. i've also said that i wouldn't miss drew or joey so i would be fine with mac finding a new outlet to showcase his abilities, for whatever they may still be worth.

I can't see McDonald going to Toledo. I think we might just end up releasing him, or trading him to another AHL team.

why? he's made the trip a number of times before. not sure what AHL club would sign him, unless it's a backup role. he's likely to find more ice time elsewhere.

I can't see McDonald going to Toledo. I think we might just end up releasing him, or trading him to another AHL team.

We very well may end up trading or releasing him. However, my post was how I see things working out if he is still on the roster.

The difference being that Howard is 22 years old and just played his first year of professional hockey. Manny had several years in the minors before he ever started an NHL game.

Howard's got to get used to playing so many games in a season and adjust to the speed and skill at this level, but this kid is Detroit's best shot at a franchise goaltender.

and Cam Wards are the exception to goalie development, not the standard. Plus he could still burn out or fall apart next season. you never know with young goaltenders.

I was at the game also, and Liv did look really good. As I said in my other post, I think he needs to work just a bit at controlling those rebounds. Fat rebounds just sitting there in a sea of skates led to quite a few tense moments.

Any idea why Jimmy was wearing a Wings cap instead of a Griffs cap?