• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dallas27

2006 ALDS: Tigers vs Yankees

Rate this topic

I know what you mean. My two favorite sports are Hockey and Baseball, and I'm usually dying for the NHL season to start. This year is really weird, I know the Wings have started, but they are an after thought right now with good reason.... Go Tigers!

I've been thinking the last couple days, this is a real special time to be a Detroit Sports Fan. I was born in 1976 and I've seen 7 Championships, a ton of 1st place finishes, and many playoff series victories. And with the Red Wings, Tigers, and Pistons Organization all run first class and are amoung the top teams in their sports, I know I'll see many more moments. It's a lot of fun cheering for Detroit.

try rooting for two teams in Europe and rooting for two teams in North America.

time zones are killing me.

Edited by Jwo

Guest LivingtheDream

Seeing the Tigers win yesterday was one of the best Detroit moments in sports for years and years (no offense to the Wings intended - 97 and 98 cup wins were THE best moments in the past 10).

Today I was reading the New York Times and you would not believe the arrogance. I don't have the paper here in front of me, but it said something like this:

"... but the Yankees don't exist to lift the spirit of a downtrodden city..."

Can anyone relate to the mindset that would right such arrogant crap? Like some rich spoiled brat at a fancy university, they expect a A grade just because daddy paid the sky high tuition. Well, it is more than that NY, you need to show up and win too.

This is officially last year's White Sox folks...get ready for that WS title!

Unbelievable celebration, i had to pound some brews myself on the couch wishing i was there. It was great to see, given that the home crowd had yet to have a celebration since we clinched playoffs at KC and then didnt win the division. I mean you never know what could happen, if we were to lose to Oakland, it would be a shame to not party down with the home fans at least once after this awesome season. Have to savior the moment.

Anyone else think some jackass will end up trying to sue Rogers for getting champagne on them? lol. It wont happen to anyone else BUT him!

Seeing the Tigers win yesterday was one of the best Detroit moments in sports for years and years (no offense to the Wings intended - 97 and 98 cup wins were THE best moments in the past 10).

I agree, the 1997 Stanley Cup is my favorite moment as a Detroit fan, 2nd is yesterday's victory over the Yankees. I'm not downplaying the 1998 and 2002 Cups, 1984 World Series, or the 1989, 1990, and 2004 NBA titles, because those were unreal, but it just shows how big of a moment that was beating the Yankees :cool:.

This is officially last year's White Sox folks...get ready for that WS title!

I really can't agrue with that statement. Looking at it realistically, the Tigers pitching has gone to the next level and the hitters are working the count now instead of just going up there and wacking away. We may have to start planning another Championship Parade :D.

Nothing against the Wings and Pistons, but if the Tigers win the World Series, the celebration could be the 1997, 1998, 2002, and 2004 Championships combined. We could see 2-3 million people trying to jam into the streets of downtown Detroit.

"The story of the ALDS figures to be more about the Yankees' collapse over the last three games and the struggles of Alex Rodriguez" espn.com

I love the excuses that keep pouring in for the Yankees. I mean let's totally forget that the Tigers were 40 games above .500 at one point and was in first place for how many consecutive weeks?

Whatever, keep making excuses for them, when the Tigers win the WS and return to the playoffs next year and the Yankees fail to make it we will see how all these "analysts" spew out of their mouth.

I turned on Sportscenter this morning, and of course the story isn't about Bonderman's amazing game, or the Tigers first playoff series victory since 84, it's about (what else) ARod and Torre. Figures.

What an amazing game. On Friday, I had two different people offer me a ticket to the game, since I'm back in MI right now. I had to go to a wedding though. Friend's at the game were texting me updates and every so often the DJ would announce the score, and everyone at the reception would start cheering.

I absolutely loved seeing the players celebrating with the fans. It's so nice to see them acknowledge a fanbase that has been longing for the Tigers to be good again :)

I absolutely loved seeing the players celebrating with the fans. It's so nice to see them acknowledge a fanbase that has been longing for the Tigers to be good again :)

Leyland was at Fishbones last night. He told the managers to let the fans talk to him because it was as much their win as it was his.

Guest LivingtheDream

Leyland was at Fishbones last night. He told the managers to let the fans talk to him because it was as much their win as it was his.

Now there is a class act.

Yes, the new in NY is all about how they failed and nothing about how they were out pitched and out hit and out managed. They are obsessed with their feeling entitled to win it all all the time. It is obnoxious. It is beyond obnoxious.

Tigers Mets is my wish.

Tigers Mets is my wish.

I can't decide which of the three remaining NL teams I'd prefer in the Series (although the Padres are on the brink). If it were the Mets, we'd have the chance to beat both New York teams in one year, and that would be all kinds of fun. Cardinals and Padres, however, would be rematches and among other things, it'd result in even more flashbacks to '68 and '84. Bonus: the Tigers also faced the Cardinals in the '34 Series, so Tigers-Cardinals has plenty of history.

No fair looking past the A's, though. Gotta take revenge for '72.

The Yankees also had the problem with four shortstops playing in one infield.

Four shortstops? Oh, no no no. Two shortstops (Jeter, A-Rod), plus one guy whose fielding would never cut it at short (Cano) and one guy who hasn't played in the infield since the early '90s (Sheffield). And even then he was more of a third baseman, playing short only because the Brewers had a Hall-of-Famer at third.

But your point pretty much remains. The Yankees were kind of a joke in the infield, and it showed at some of the most crucial times. They need to remake the team by trading A-Rod for an actual third baseman and some pitching, and acquiring a first baseman by trade also, someone who can actually field the position. But that's not what they'll do. They'll fire the manager and go assemble another fantasy team.

Four shortstops? Oh, no no no. Two shortstops (Jeter, A-Rod), plus one guy whose fielding would never cut it at short (Cano) and one guy who hasn't played in the infield since the early '90s (Sheffield). And even then he was more of a third baseman, playing short only because the Brewers had a Hall-of-Famer at third.

But your point pretty much remains. The Yankees were kind of a joke in the infield, and it showed at some of the most crucial times. They need to remake the team by trading A-Rod for an actual third baseman and some pitching, and acquiring a first baseman by trade also, someone who can actually field the position. But that's not what they'll do. They'll fire the manager and go assemble another fantasy team.

Sheffield began his career as a shortstop. Cano was a shortstop prospect who was converted to 2b--think Omar Infante. True, Sheffield has not played terribly much at short since his first couple of years, but that doesn't change the fact he started as one.