• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 Hot Stove League

Rate this topic

I like the Cubs as well. I don't really consider myself a big fan, but I had to pick a NL team to cheer for, it would be the Cubs. And the Braves, but that's only because John Smoltz went to my high school.

Sadly for the Cubs, 03 was probably their best chance.

As far as Manny, I agree with Lou that it would probably cost us too much. Boston doesn't seem that desperate to deal him.

According to the Freep, the Tigers are close on an extension of Inge's contract for four years and about $6M/year. Sounds like a plus to me. Inge is a solid defender, and is the kind of bottom-of-the-order hitter that good teams have. (It really chafes me when people marvel at how he "grew" into being an infielder after being a catcher. Feh. He wasn't a catcher til after he was drafted, and only because some scouts randomly happened to watch him throw to second base from a crouch. He's a shortstop by trade.)

Also, the Orioles expressed great interest in Marcus Thames, but the Tigers wanted a lefty outfielder in return, and the O's wouldn't part with Nick Markakis nor could they come to an agreement to obtain Luke Scott from the Astros or Ryan Church from the Nats. There was a reported 3-way deal that would have brought Scott to the Tigers that fell through.

Projected 25-man roster. Because I'm bored:

Rotation:

Kenny Rogers

Jeremy Bonderman

Justin Verlander

Nate Robertson

Mike Maroth

'Pen:

Todd Jones

Joel Zumaya

Edward Campusano

Wilfredo Ledezma

Zach Miner

Jason Grilli

Roman Colon

Lineup:

C - Pudge Rodriguez

2B - Placido Polanco

SS - Carlos Guillen

DH - Gary Sheffield

RF - Magglio Ordonez

CF - Curtis Granderson

LF - Craig Monroe

1B - Sean Casey

3B - Brandon Inge

Bench -

1B - Chris Shelton

SS - Omar Infante

LF - Marcus Thames

C - Vance Wilson

I think Roman Colon will be dealt off in some insignificant trade before spring...he's not good enough for our pen and he's really just taking up space in Toledo. He does have good stuff when he's on but he'll NEVER be a starter for us...so let him go to a bad team and get a shot.

Also, Im hoping a strong spring by Miller leads to Maroth being dealt. Nothing against Mike, but after last season now im craving for the next young gun!

ESPN2's bottom line is saying the Tigers have agreed to a 1 year deal with Jose Mesa.

According to the bottom line on espn2, Jose Mesa signed a 1 year deal with the Tigers.

Don't scare me like that! At first I thought, oh no, not that flamboyant candy-armed bastard again!

Then I remembered I was thinking about Jose Lima instead.

So Joe Table will be a Tiger. Huh. I'm not sure why. I mean, Mesa isn't really washed up yet, he can still pitch and should be a valuable addition, but in what role? Does this mean Todd Jones won't close any more? We've already got two of the best right-handed setup men in the majors. It's kind of an odd pickup.

First Sheffield, now Mesa...another player signed that ive always hated!

This makes me wonder about a possible Fernando Rodney trade being in the works. Possibly for a lefty reliever? I could definitely see some teams eyeing Rodney for a closer role. I just dont see Mesa really having a role with Jones, Zumaya, and Rodney ahead of him.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

First Sheffield, now Mesa...another player signed that ive always hated!

This makes me wonder about a possible Fernando Rodney trade being in the works. Possibly for a lefty reliever? I could definitely see some teams eyeing Rodney for a closer role. I just dont see Mesa really having a role with Jones, Zumaya, and Rodney ahead of him.

Was wondering the same thing. Four right-handed one-inning/short relief guys in one bullpen is not a good mix. Something's brewing.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out the Mesa signing as well. Something has to be brewing.

Maybe the Marlins are looking to get the Rollercoaster back

Marlins prefer veteran closer

Friday, Dec 8, 2006 10:31 am EST

Getty Images

The Florida Marlins could try out some young pitchers for the closer's role in 2007, but prefer a veteran.

Among the possibilities is former Marlins' reliever Armando Benitez. A San Francisco Giants source who has spoken recently with Benitez, who posted a franchise-record 47 saves for the Marlins in 2004, said the pitcher would love to return to Florida.

Florida could try to swing a trade with the Detroit Tigers for Todd Jones, Florida's closer in 2005. Another option is Jose Mesa, 40, who made $2 million with the Colorado Rockies last season.

Source: Palm Beach Post

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/post/Ma...r?urn=mlb,17156

Jones going back to the Marlins would certainly make the Mesa signing make a ton more sense (not that im happy!) I guess it all depends whether they wanna give the closers role to Zumaya now, cause i sure as hell hope they wouldnt consider Mesa. Would they really trade Jones again though? I know its a business and all, but i have a hard time thinking they would. Unless of course they told Jones that Zumaya will be the closer and Jones asked to go somewhere where he could close...

On MLB writer Jason Beck's blog he says that there's no trade in the works, and that the signing means Grilli and Miner have to battle it out in spring trainer for the long relief spot.

This signing really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The Tigers tried to trade Colon for Mesa around deadline time last year (Rockies didnt accept)...so theyve been eyeing him for a while. I just dont really know what they're seeing in him either!