• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BlakChamber

2006 Hot Stove League

Rate this topic

Hey I can't blame Zoom for this. Guitar Hero can really kick your butt. I've went through the pain a few times :lol:

The first time I played Guitar Hero, my buddies and I played for about 10 hours. My arm was a little sore the next day, My thumb was especially sore from hitting the toggle switch.

Given that Ted Lilly signed for the same length of time and $2M more, I'd say this Bonderman deal is terrific.

I'm pretty happy that the Tigers aren't forced into the absolutely ludicrous free agent market this year. Take a look at the signings:

Miguel Batista, Seattle, $8.5M/yr, 3 yrs.

Adam Eaton, Philly, $8.16M/yr, 3 yrs.

Ted Lilly, Cubbies, $10M/yr, 4 yrs.

Jason Marquis, Cubbies, $7M/yr, 3 yrs.

Daisuke Matsuzaka, BlowSox, $8.67M/yr, 6 yrs.

Gil Meche, Kansas City, $11M/yr, 5 yrs.

Vicente Padilla, Texas, $11.25M/yr, 3 yrs.

Jason Schmidt, LA, $15.67M/yr, 3 yrs.

This doesn't even cover what Barry Zito is gonna get. Nor did I mention Randy Wolf, who's gonna be paid $8M next year on a one-year deal to suck. Wolf is a 30-year old whose ERA was closer to 6 than 5 last year, and he's somehow worth $8 million?

All those pitchers above, with the exception of Schmidt (who still isn't worth $15 million) and Matsuzaka (who nobody knows how he'll do in a major league season) are middle-rotation schmoes. The Meche and Padilla contracts are especially baffling. Eventually, the Tigers are gonna have to pay Verlander pretty handsomely too, but at least they'll be getting something worth a damn for their troubles.

The Cubbies on their own have managed to shell out almost $300 million in contracts this offseason. There's only one explanation for what they're doing: Matt Millen has secretly taken over.

The Cubbies on their own have managed to shell out almost $300 million in contracts this offseason. There's only one explanation for what they're doing: Matt Millen has secretly taken over.

No, if Millen had taken over, he'd gut the team and uses his next few first round picks to draft outfielders, and he'll draft a highly touted pitcher and sign a crappy catcher, and when the catcher lets the ball past every other at bat, the pitcher will be blamed by the fans and the team. Then he would cut loose the pitcher and an outfielder, and sign two new pitchers, one of whom would be moved to the outfield ahead of one of the first rounders.

THAT is what would happen under Millen.

SI (via Yahoo) gives the weak links on each team as spring training approaches:

Weakest links

I'll quote the AL Central teams, with a lead-in:

No matter how much offseason check-writing goes on, how much swapping and talking is done, every Major League team -- with maybe one jarring exception -- still has at least one major hole to fill. And we're only three weeks away from Spring Training, too.

• The Twins found a way to plug the left side of the infield last season. Finding power from Rondell White, or stability behind ace Johan Santana? Not so easy.

• The Tigers, top to bottom, are the most solid team around. Stronger than '06. No holes. Really. As long as Sean Casey stays healthy at first, they'll be tough.

• The White Sox had a big problem in '06 in center field. It's still a problem. Somebody -- Brian Anderson or Darin Erstad -- had better fix it, or the Sox are in trouble.

• The Indians used to think Jhonny Peralta was their shortstop of the future. Now he's got no glove, no range, a wimpy bat and a lot of doubters in Cleveland.

• The Royals always have a ton of questions. Honestly, Odalis Perez as a No. 2? But first base, where Ryan Shealy and Ross Gload will battle, is really up in the air.

I love it. The Tigers have gone from being a complete afterthought to being the best put-together team in the league.

There's only one thing putting a damper on the excitement of the upcoming season: The idea that Extra Innings will likely be available on DirecTV. That SUCKS. Selig can kiss my ass if that goes down.

Also, here's the list of non-roster invitees to spring training, as it stands now. Actually I'm only gonna list the interesting ones:

Craig Dingman

Joey Eischen (remember him??? Tigers traded Chad Curtis for him and another pitcher back in 1996)

Felix Heredia

Jair Jurrjens

Bobby Seay

Dennis Tankersley

Ryan Rayburn

Cameron Maybin (CAN'T WAIT to see how he looks against the big leaguers)

There's only one thing putting a damper on the excitement of the upcoming season: The idea that Extra Innings will likely be available on DirecTV. That SUCKS. Selig can kiss my ass if that goes down.

I can't name one person happy about this. Selig is alomst as dumb as Gary Betman.

Also, here's the list of non-roster invitees to spring training, as it stands now. Actually I'm only gonna list the interesting ones:

Craig Dingman

Joey Eischen (remember him??? Tigers traded Chad Curtis for him and another pitcher back in 1996)

Felix Heredia

Jair Jurrjens

Bobby Seay

Dennis Tankersley

Ryan Rayburn

Cameron Maybin (CAN'T WAIT to see how he looks against the big leaguers)

Yep, I remember Joey Eischen! I think the other pitcher was John Cummings, I know we got him around the same time so im pretty sure it was the same trade.

Good news, 161 of the Tigers games will be on TV.

http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2007/01...er-games-on-tv/

Only 10 as far as I'm concerned, if the DirecTV thing goes through :angry: It's not a done deal yet. MLB has been lambasted in the media for it. I'm not forking out the money for their MLB.com thing. That means I have to sit at my computer and do nothing but watch the game, assuming my computer can even handle it.