• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingMachine91

NHL needs to get back on espn ASAP

Rate this topic

This quote just baffles me:

"We feel like we have a great partnership with a major sport and the viewers have responded," he said. "Hockey fans are really passionate, and we're really happy with it."

Call me later when Versus is actually part of my cable package. I'm not paying an extra $5/month to watch that crappy-ass network. I paid for OLN for a few months last season. Wasn't impressed - not with their hockey programming and not with anything else they had.

Ditto on the ASG, who cares?

The NHL has heard that concern, and they are working on it. I read somewhere (trying to find link again) that the league is considering changes to the All Star Game similiar to what MLB did with the winner of the ASG holding home-field advantage in the World Series.

They need to make the Game worth something.

The NHL has heard that concern, and they are working on it. I read somewhere (trying to find link again) that the league is considering changes to the All Star Game similiar to what MLB did with the winner of the ASG holding home-field advantage in the World Series.

They need to make the Game worth something.

I sure hope not. That was a horrible decision by MLB.

As far as getting back on ESPN, overall I think it would be better for the league, but it looks like a moot point now.

Bettman is the king of denial.

And they better not choose playoff home ice by the winner of the All-Star game. That better be totally untrue.

The All-Star game would suddenly turn into a trap-fest to avoid anyone getting hurt. Gone would be the days of 12-9 scores...you'd be lucky to have 3 goals between the two teams.

I've always loved the Super Skills competition part of (what used to be) the All-Star weekend. It's fun to watch and it looks like the players are having fun too. It's the NHL equivalent of the NBA's Slam Dunk contest. The game itself, though - including the YoungStars game - is boring as hell. I can't remember a time that I've ever actually watched an entire All-Star game. And that's a shame - a die-hard hockey fan who can't bring himself to give a damn about an All-Star game.

If they got rid of the game entirely, I wouldn't be heartbroken.

I heard there was something like 470,000 people who watched the ASG. I also heard on the radio that the show Mythbusters and a interior design show on TLC each had more viewers..... that is terrible, and so sad. NHL needs ESPN like fat kid loves cake.

I heard there was something like 470,000 people who watched the ASG. I also heard on the radio that the show Mythbusters and a interior design show on TLC each had more viewers..... that is terrible, and so sad. NHL needs ESPN like fat kid loves cake.

The NHL was tanking in ratings on ESPN. While I agree it would be a better network for it, it isn't like ratings are going to improve that much.

The NHL was tanking in ratings on ESPN. While I agree it would be a better network for it, it isn't like ratings are going to improve that much.

Well, if we went by what ESPN's ratings for the NHL were vs. what Versus has now...a 200% increase sounds significant.

Of course, that's like saying that two people watching a game is a significant increase over one person watching a game. It's a 200% increase...but the math doesn't tell the tale.

Wow, I just rebutted my own argument. Time to put away the DayQuil...

I totally agree, it also drives my dad crazy when a game is on versus. I think thatwas the dumbest ever! "Let's put hockey on a channel not EVERYONE in the world can get. I mean my parents are old school, they have basic cable. I tried talking them into getting digital and my dad says why just for one channel. But you also get other channels as well. I think if it hasn't been done we need to start a petition and see if we can't get bettman out of there! He is ruining the game with these stupid descions to put hockey on a channel that isn't national like nbc.

Now if they could drop this stupid channel and get nbc to do the games during the week, that would be awesome! I'm not sure about getting back with espn, they dogged hockey so bad before. Why would they change now. We need a network that would actually care bout the game, that's what the NHL needs. They also need to maybe advertise more. Not just when a game is on but even when there isn't one!

I think if it hasn't been done we need to start a petition and see if we can't get bettman out of there! He is ruining the game with these stupid descions to put hockey on a channel that isn't national like nbc.

You start up an online petition and let me know how it goes, champ.

Or you could just go sign all of these petitions, they seem to really be having an impact.

I don't think any of us will be happy until we just have a straight-up NHL Network. And such a network wouldn't be able to sustain itself without charging extra for it due to what would undoubtedly be low ratings.

I don't think any of us will be happy until we just have a straight-up NHL Network. And such a network wouldn't be able to sustain itself without charging extra for it due to what would undoubtedly be low ratings.

What a great idea ;)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl_network/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Network

And it looks like it's coming to the US even

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Network_(U.S.)

Well then why doesn't someone take charge and send those petitions into the nhl? Whatever the case something needs to be done, but it porbably won't be done until betteman's reign is over. Whenever that may be.

Well then why doesn't someone take charge and send those petitions into the nhl? Whatever the case something needs to be done, but it porbably won't be done until betteman's reign is over. Whenever that may be.

Online petitions don't work. Especially on something like getting Bettman fired.

What the league needs is more time on Sportscenter, not just highlights but give Barry Melrose (sp?) or another hockey announcer 1-2 minutes to try to excite the sportscenter viewers about hockey and upcoming games. ESPN will not do this because it is against their best interest at this point, because they do not air the games. IF they did that I think it would really help the ratings.

Not to mention it would break up the monotony of watching slam dunk after slam dunk :zzz:

:EDIT: and another thing, get the playoffs on NBC or a major network, we all know that the playoffs are the most exciting games and getting thos seen will be key for the league's growth. Sure as hell beats spring baseball.

Edited by CrossCheck24

NHL on ESPN will never happen again. Bill Clement was on the radio last week and said the fact that ESPN got the NBA meant that the NHL would be greatly scaled back in terms of games shown, and even told the NHL there wasn't a guarantee the playoffs would be picked up. It's pretty obvious that once the lockout happened and ESPN got the NBA, the NHL was on death knell in terms of a suitor and OLN/NBC/Versus offered them the best deal.

I've always been a big supporter of the NHL talking to Spike TV about a deal. With the UFC and TNA Wrestling on, I think they could market to a younger audience who obviously likes violence (real or fake). Most people get Spike on basic cable and they get good ratings for the UFC and TNA, about 1.7-2.0, so why not carry that over to the NHL? Just a thought.

I've always been a big supporter of the NHL talking to Spike TV about a deal. With the UFC and TNA Wrestling on, I think they could market to a younger audience who obviously likes violence (real or fake). Most people get Spike on basic cable and they get good ratings for the UFC and TNA, about 1.7-2.0, so why not carry that over to the NHL? Just a thought.

I may be wrong, but I thought Spike was cosidering the NHL before Versus got it. Spike wouldn't be bad. I know they are trying to get Arena football, but ESPN/Versus got most, if not all of it.

Of course, that's like saying that two people watching a game is a significant increase over one person watching a game. It's a 200% increase...but the math doesn't tell the tale.

Ummm.....going from one person to two is only a 100% increase, but....point taken :P