• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redwinger4747

10 best Russian NHLers of all time?

Rate this topic

Were would Larionov rank? I heard he was considered the Russian Wayne Gretzky in the 1980's.

Because Larionov was part of KLM line, the vote would be split three ways, so to speak. He is one of the greats, but I'd think there would be more than 10 players above him. But that's just my subjective opinion.

Mikhailov, Ragulin, Tretialk, Makarov, Ven. Aleksandrov, Loktev, Tregubov, Konovalenko come to mind before Larionov.

Because Larionov was part of KLM line, the vote would be split three ways, so to speak. He is one of the greats, but I'd think there would be more than 10 players above him. But that's just my subjective opinion.

Mikhailov, Ragulin, Tretialk, Makarov, Ven. Aleksandrov, Loktev, Tregubov, Konovalenko come to mind before Larionov.

Don't forget Yakushev

Don't forget Yakushev

I don't think Yakushev was more dominating in his time, than Larionov was in his. Yakushev played really well in the 1972 Superseries, but over a carreer, I wouldn't put him in the top 10. He is not even the best "Spartak" player of all time.

1. Fedorov

2. Bure

3. Mogilny

4. Zubov

5. Kovalev

6. Gonchar

7. Khabibulin

8. Zhitnik

9. Yashin

10. Larionov

I determined my list by achieved success. I wouldn't think it's fair to include Konstantinov, a guy that didn't even play 500 NHL games. Then there's Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, it's too early in their careers to list them amongst the top 10. Then again, I based my list by established, achieved success, so I have different viewpoints. It goes without a doubt that guys Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Afinogenov, and Semin may all very well end their careers as elite names on that list.

1. Fedorov

2. Bure

3. Mogilny

4. Zubov

5. Kovalev

6. Gonchar

7. Khabibulin

8. Zhitnik

9. Yashin

10. Larionov

I determined my list by achieved success. I wouldn't think it's fair to include Konstantinov, a guy that didn't even play 500 NHL games. Then there's Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, it's too early in their careers to list them amongst the top 10. Then again, I based my list by established, achieved success, so I have different viewpoints. It goes without a doubt that guys Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Afinogenov, and Semin may all very well end their careers as elite names on that list.

Konstantinov was better than Zhitnik every year they played in the league together. Konstantinov was the best defenseman in the world when his career was tragically ended by injury. It stands to reason he should be considered above Zhitnik, who was never better, and that he should be given the same injury provision guys like Orr, Neely, and Lemieux get. Had Vladimir not been in that limo, he would probably be in the top spot on this list.

Konstantinov was better than Zhitnik every year they played in the league together. Konstantinov was the best defenseman in the world when his career was tragically ended by injury. It stands to reason he should be considered above Zhitnik, who was never better, and that he should be given the same injury provision guys like Orr, Neely, and Lemieux get. Had Vladimir not been in that limo, he would probably be in the top spot on this list.

If Vladdy had not been in that limo, he would for sure be up there. Vladdy would probably still be in the NHL, and would probably have a couple Norrises under his belt. I just believe that Zhitnik playing close to 1000 games makes him more established in the NHL than Vladdy. If my list were determined by skill levels and strictly that, Vladdy would be there, as would Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, maybe Datsyuk.

If Vladdy had not been in that limo, he would for sure be up there. Vladdy would probably still be in the NHL, and would probably have a couple Norrises under his belt. I just believe that Zhitnik playing close to 1000 games makes him more established in the NHL than Vladdy. If my list were determined by skill levels and strictly that, Vladdy would be there, as would Ovechkin and Kovalchuk, maybe Datsyuk.

Vladdie received 2 first place Norris votes in each of his final two seasons. No other Russian defenseman has ever received even one. Vladdie is also the only Russian Norris finalist ever--a feat he accomplished in his final season. He likely would have been tha favorite for the award if he had played the next year.

1. Fedorov

2. Bure

3. Mogilny

4. Zubov

5. Kovalev

6. Gonchar

7. Khabibulin

8. Zhitnik

9. Yashin

10. Larionov

Very nice list.

:clap:

here's how we end the bure, federov debates,....

1. Federov could play Defence (extremly well)

2. Hart trophy, 3 stanley cups

Agreed. His 2 selke trophies attest to his defensive skills and you also left out his pearson trophy. i think it says more when your peers vote you as the mvp rather than the writers.

Wow, interesting question, surprised I never considered it before:

1. Bure - One of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history. Sure his career was cut short by injuries, but he still managed five 50 goal seasons, earned the Rookie of the year award, and led the league in goals on three occasions (he placed in the top 5 on two other occasions as well). His playoff performance in '94 was unbelievable nearly carrying the Canucks to their first cup.

2. Fedorov - Probably the best all around player out of all the Russians. Had a breakout year in 93-94 becoming the only Russian to ever win the Hart trophy as league MVP, and he also won the Selke trophy for best defensive forward. Has consistently played well in the playoffs. Only knock against him is that he has a tendency to underachieve.

3. Ovechkin - Too soon to really judge him, but if his first two years are any indication, he could be one of the all-time greats. His rookie year was among the best in NHL history with the likes of Selanne, Stastny, and Bossy. Plus, he hits.

4. Mogilny - Another prolific Russian goal scorer. He's not quite on the same level as Bure, and doesn't have the all-around game of Fedorov.

5. Kovalchuk - He's basically a slightly smaller version of Ovechkin without the hitting. He can score with the best of them.

6. Makarov - A lot like Larionov in that he would rate near the top if we could consider non-NHL experience. He won the Calder trophy as NHL rookie of the year at the age of 32 (it was actually kind of ridiculous that a player with his experience won it).

7. Gonchar - Scored more goals than any Russian defensemen in NHL history. His ability to control the power-play ranks among the league's best.

8. Zubov - A lot like Gonchar but not as fast, better defensively though. The highest point scoring Russian defenseman in NHL history (thus far).

9. Konstantinov - It sucks balls that his career ended so soon. He was a tough, rugged, hard-hitting defensemen that was among the league's best before tragedy struck.

10. Larionov - Again, if we were judging based upon non-NHL play, he'd be near the top. But regretably, we only got to see him in the NHL on the downside of his career. Still, he was an incredible playmaker with Gretzky-like vision.

A couple of notes:

-Bondra would've easily made the list, except he's Ukrainian, not Russian.

-Fetisov would've made the list as well but he again suffers from the fact that he broke into the NHL so late in his career.

-Kovalev probably should be on there, but it was either him or Kovalchuk, and I think Kovalchuk has already accomplished more individually than Kovalev.

-Bondra would've easily made the list, except he's Ukrainian, not Russian.

Bondra was born in what is now Ukraine, but his parents were Slovakians working in the USSR on a temporary basis, and they went back to Czechoslovakia when he was still quite young. So heis neither Russian, nor Ukranian, but Slovakian, and played for their national team for years.

Kovalev won a Cup, an Olympic gold, and may have won the Calder (I'm not sure on that.) What did Kovalchuk win?

Half a Richard? :)

Kovalev won a Cup, an Olympic gold, and may have won the Calder (I'm not sure on that.) What did Kovalchuk win?

Half a Richard? :)

I thought we were talking NHL experience, so Kovalev's Olympic gold is nice but irrelevant, and Kovalev didn't win the Calder, a guy by the name of Teemu did. Kovalchuk already has one 50 goal season under his belt along with a separate 40+ goal season that was tied for the league best, making him a Richard winner. Kovalev only broke the 40 barrier once.

I view Cups as more of a team thing. Unless the player in question stood out in the playoffs it shouldn't matter.

Edit:

Also Kovalchuk didn't win a "Half a Richard"....he won a third of a Richard, along with Nash and Iginla :P

Edited by TheUltimateWingsFan

Larionov should be higher, took the Sharks past the Wings in '94, was a part of the cup winning Wings teams and scored some pretty huge goals even at ancient age (2002). Kovalchuk and Gonchar are nice and all, but neither are even close to those accomplishments.

I'd also like to add Brylin, who's managed to remain on a very demanding Devils teams, albeit in a smaller role than the big russian names.

Fetisov is a write-in. Cup winner as a player, cup winner as staff member.

Vladdie received 2 first place Norris votes in each of his final two seasons. No other Russian defenseman has ever received even one. Vladdie is also the only Russian Norris finalist ever--a feat he accomplished in his final season. He likely would have been tha favorite for the award if he had played the next year.

Apart from Zubov last season.

This has been a great thread, one I actually read all the way through.

My pick for best Russian player ever (not limiting to NHL) would have to be Vlad Tretiak. He was the best goalie all an era, definately one of the top 5 in the world to ever play the game. Man, I wish he had played in the NHL, even if it was just for a season.