• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Flip-check

'67 leafs

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=288965

http://www.1967leafsdinner.com/

This sounds pretty badass... because who doesn't like the idea of old teammates publically getting together to reminisce a little over something good? Actually, focusing on celebrating something that happened 40 years ago is pretty silly. Bringing past squadmates together and for charity, though, manages to redeem it a bit.

I'd never want to go to something like that myself, being not the type to actually look back much... but the idea of a celebratory charity dinner + current year Stanley Cup + Woodward Ave. parade? That would be killer. It'd also kill in charity fund gathering.

This, however, just reminds me all over again of why I'd like to see the Wings actually be successful again this year.

The 67 Leafs team is just getting together to discuss one thing:

"How much longer until we are not the first team you think of when they say 'Cup winning Maple Leafs?'

It may be a long time. I think part of the problem is that the GM cannot really make any of his own decisions and the team is probably more focused on profits than winning.

It may be a long time. I think part of the problem is that the GM cannot really make any of his own decisions and the team is probably more focused on profits than winning.

That will change when the new GM (said to be Colin Campbell) gets the Colangelo Clause.

That will change when the new GM (said to be Colin Campbell) gets the Colangelo Clause.

And that's what it will take. Not only do they need a much better GM, it is useless getting a top notch guy unless he is able to run with things using his rules. I suppose if the same ownership gave the control necessary to Colangelo, then it is possible for something similar to happen, but I still feel that ownership views the Leafs a little different than the Raptors and it may not be as easy having the same thing happen.

And that's what it will take. Not only do they need a much better GM, it is useless getting a top notch guy unless he is able to run with things using his rules. I suppose if the same ownership gave the control necessary to Colangelo, then it is possible for something similar to happen, but I still feel that ownership views the Leafs a little different than the Raptors and it may not be as easy having the same thing happen.

Yeah, but they aren't going to get anybody worth their salt to be GM without that kind of a clause. They'll be forced to hand it over, in the end. They won't be able to get away with hiring a nobody again.

They admitted mistake after they fired Rob Babcock, and hired a professional headhunter to pursue the best possible candidate for the job, and ended up with one of the best in Colangelo. I think you'll see much the same with the Leafs.

They control the Leafs a lot more, but they're going to dearly miss their playoff revenues for the second straight year (keep in mind the Leafs also gave over $10 million in revenue sharing) and they'll do what it takes to get a guy in there that can get them back to the show.

I would think celebrating 40 years since your last Championship would be embarrassing more than anything else. :blush:

I wouldn't have liked it if the Wings in 1995 had a big celebration for the 1954-55 Championship team. I wouldn't want the 40 years to be given more attention and remind the rest of the League how long it's been.

Leave it to the Leafs to do something like this and draw more attention to how bad the organization is run. I think if it was up to them, we'd still have 6 teams.

You still have the Ontario Teachers Union as a part owner. All they care about is money for their pension.

If the Leafs were serious about winning, they'd try and trade Sundin, Tucker, McCabe, Kaberle, etc. at the deadline and rebuild.

I have a lot of respect for Philly and what they are doing. They blew it all up, and in a few years will be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference again.

You still have the Ontario Teachers Union as a part owner. All they care about is money for their pension.

If the Leafs were serious about winning, they'd try and trade Sundin, Tucker, McCabe, Kaberle, etc. at the deadline and rebuild.

I have a lot of respect for Philly and what they are doing. They blew it all up, and in a few years will be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference again.

The teachers are getting out soon, so they say. Ted Rogers and Larry Tanenbaum are poised to buy their shares.

The Flyers didn't rebuild on purpose, they did it because their team fell apart and they had no choice. So far, they're doing a pretty poor job of rebuilding, by trading guys like Freddy Meyer for an old fart like Zhitnik.

Mats Sundin has an NTC, he is only going to be traded if he wants to be. There's no reason to think that he does.

If Tucker is healthy in two weeks (looking unlikely, as he's yet to return to even skating lightly), I think he'll be traded, but only if the Leafs are falling away from a playoff spot.

McCabe and Kaberle both have NTC's, as well.

Hey Toronto, If at first you don`t suceed, losing may just be your style. :P

Oh well, they said the same thing about the Dead Things era, and Detroit turned it around. The Leafs can do the same, they just need to make some changes at the upper level.

Oh well, they said the same thing about the Dead Things era, and Detroit turned it around. The Leafs can do the same, they just need to make some changes at the upper level.

Yeah, Toronto may still have hope. Chicago though... I don't think there's any for them. :rolleyes:

Detroit watched the Wings win the President's trophy and go to the finals when they hit the 40 year mark. Toronto will get to watch Blue Jays spring training.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&a...rticleid=288965

http://www.1967leafsdinner.com/

This sounds pretty badass... because who doesn't like the idea of old teammates publically getting together to reminisce a little over something good? Actually, focusing on celebrating something that happened 40 years ago is pretty silly. Bringing past squadmates together and for charity, though, manages to redeem it a bit.

I'd never want to go to something like that myself, being not the type to actually look back much... but the idea of a celebratory charity dinner + current year Stanley Cup + Woodward Ave. parade? That would be killer. It'd also kill in charity fund gathering.

This, however, just reminds me all over again of why I'd like to see the Wings actually be successful again this year.

Make no mistake, this is a horribly veiled attempt at giving Leaf fans something to cheer about. Afterall, since 67 what have they done? Nothing. Sure, Leaf fans will go on and on about how they upset us in 93 and how if it wasn't for Gretzky's high stick they would have won the Cup, blah, blah, blah. The point is, the Leafs organization is pathetic. For years Leaf fans would scream how we were the Yankees of hockey and we 'bought' all of our Cups. And when the Cap came in Leaf fans laughed again saying how horrible the Wings would be now that our wallet was shut tight. But that didn't happen did it? In fact, it was exposed that the Leafs were really the team that tried to buy a Cup. When the Wings won Cups in 97, 98 and 2002 our core group was all drafted and developed inhouse. Meanwhile, during that same time the Leafs posted only 2 or 3 players that were actually drafted and developed by them. The rest were all bought and paid for.

So let the Laughs reminise about a time when Dinosaurs roamed the earth and Toronto actually had a championship team. If that's what makes the happy then go ahead. Afterall, we're talking about the same city and fans that wanted to throw a parade after winning a round 1 series. (NO JOKE).

Shine on Laugh fans. Shine on.

Detroit watched the Wings win the President's trophy and go to the finals when they hit the 40 year mark.

I never said the timeline would be the same, but I believe at some point in the near future, they will turn a corner when MLSE has no choice but to hand day-to-day management over to competent people. Buying Brian Colangelo and the success he has brought the Raptors will force their hands with the Leafs.

Toronto will get to watch Blue Jays spring training.

Already have my Opening Day tickets. :)