• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TheWestWing

Steve Moore interview

Rate this topic

Just saw an 8-10 minute interview with Steve Moore on the CBC news. I'm guessing its out there somewhere or perhaps they'll show it on the 'Saturday Night' pregame they do for HNIC.

He looks well. Says most of the physical injuries have healed. Still has memory issues and cant workout for extended periods of time - um, I actually forgot why.

Now I would never not root for a RW player - I do scream at Lagger (wifes new name for him) when he just becomes a pylon (sorry Lilja), and I do blow a gasket at the nightly Schneids turnover or two. But I want my team to win so I wish them no ill will (OK, I did say Schneids should die after Sundays game, but I didn't really mean it - well, not in the long term anyways).

And I will root for Bert again under the guise I do so want my team to win. But I honestly can't look at him w/o something niggeling at the back of my cortext wondering 'how in the f*** could you do what you did'? I am passionate about this game like most of you, and this just bothers me to no end. For no apparent reason, I think of the story of Travis Roy - a kid who played ONE game of college hockey before becoming paralyzed for life in a freak injury sliding into the boards, and how he just felt so lucky and gratified to play that one game. I just cant understand the thought process that did (or did not - pick em) go through Bert's head.

They also mentioned in the interview that ESPN was filiming the Avs for The Season and Moore was miked that night. The interviewer alleged and Moore kinda confirmed that they were gunning for him all night - not just the average game trash talk I guess. The NHL has those tapes - has anyone ever seen those floating around the net somewhere???

you cant understand what went through bert's head?

Youve never played a sport and been so angry at someone on the other team that in some way or another you try to hurt them? I know i have playing varsity soccer in high school.

Im not condoning what he did but people let emotions run wild in sports, it happens, its the past, move along

Had something gone terribly wrong we could be talking about McCarty and Lemieux in these exact same terms...

Yep...Darren suckerpunched Claude and was kneeing him in the face along the boards. I loved every second of it, but it would have been terrible if something had happened to Claude that had kept him from playing again.

Yep...Darren suckerpunched Claude and was kneeing him in the face along the boards. I loved every second of it, but it would have been terrible if something had happened to Claude that had kept him from playing again.

Exactly which is why im so sick of people making a big deal out of it. It wasnt like he went out there trying to break moore's neck. He got caught up in the moment, just like every athlete in the world. I understand it was a terrible thing, but hes not the first athlete to lose his cool. Im not trying to say it what he did is ok, im just saying every athlete has doen the same thing. Had someone purposly tried to hurt yzerman and yzerman was sidelined because of it, probert or mccarty would have done the same thing......

if any of you actually watch the video, plenty on youtube, youll notice he pushed him down from behind, but moore's neck just lands awkwardly on the ice, and you no way see berts gloves holding his neck like that to purposely paralyze him...cmon it was an accident, he payed dearly, let go

I heard they are going to post the video on CBC, or actually, they should have it up by now on their official site. I want to see it.

just go to youtube and search bertuzzi moore hit or something and itll come right up

s*** happens, its done, nobody can change it and it probably hurt Bert more then Moore in the end, because more sure as hell is not worth what 19mill. He wasn't the nicest of guys and new something was coming, its tragic but it also was an accident.

s*** happens, its done, nobody can change it and it probably hurt Bert more then Moore in the end, because more sure as hell is not worth what 19mill. He wasn't the nicest of guys and new something was coming, its tragic but it also was an accident.

I really have a problem when people say it was an accident. Sure he didn't mean to break his neck but if he wasn't assaulting Moore in the first place he'd never have tripped over his stick onto Moore. I agree that if Moore was ok and got up it would be like the McSorley incident. Something that was messed up to do but something that was over with. The fact is Bertuzzi didn't just affect Moore's career, he affected his life. Due to the extent of the injuries sustained I think this should be treated differently than other sucker punches in the past.

I really have a problem when people say it was an accident. Sure he didn't mean to break his neck but if he wasn't assaulting Moore in the first place he'd never have tripped over his stick onto Moore. I agree that if Moore was ok and got up it would be like the McSorley incident. Something that was messed up to do but something that was over with. The fact is Bertuzzi didn't just affect Moore's career, he affected his life. Due to the extent of the injuries sustained I think this should be treated differently than other sucker punches in the past.

I completely and utterly disagree, you cant pick and choose to mould the rules to your liking. There have been hits way worse than this, retaliatory hits even that have been worse. If you would so be inclined to watch the video, ill even provide you with a link, you will see that yes, bert grabs his jersey, chaces him around and hits him with a suckerpunch, then pushes him down, but how many time has this been done. So because moore falls awkwardly, bert is punished severely and serves it without question or argument.

Hockey is a rough sport, injuries occur, accidents occur, if youre going to use the argument of bert not being able to retaliate in a hit, remove hitting from hockey alltogether because its bound to cause another horrible injury.

Here's the video for the lazy people who dont wanna look it up and assume bert's hit was an attrocious act of homicidal idiocy:

Bertuzzi Hit

Watch closely as bertuzzi suckerpunched him, then grabs him to throw him down BUT his hands are on his back nowhere near his head, and the head goes first into the ice. IN NO WAY did bertuzzi force the head down into the ice, it was an illegal cheapshot hit, but in no way does bertuzzi want to paralyze him, thats idiotic. The pile that ensues probably doesn't help moore's case either.

Make up your own decision, I am just trying to show the truth, because I for one thought it was a horrible hit before i actually watched the video and made a decision for myself. <_<

EDIT: Here is a picture of it

Step 1: going for the sucker punch

Step 2: Suckerpunch lands on moore's face

Step 3: bert is pushing moore down, HANDS on back, no idea why moore has his head down, number 1 rule in hockey, heads up or youre in trouble

Step 4: Moore hits ice, bert's hands STILL on moore's back no where near neck or face

IPB Image

Edited by Viperar

I'll do you one better than a link...

IPB Image

Today being the three year anniversary, im wondering if we are going to have a troll influx on the boards? :P

As I posted on the HF boards, where the debate is raging...

-Claude Lemiuex drives Kris Draper into the boards face fisrt. Intentionally.

-Mcsorley playing samurai on brashears head. Intentionally.

-Ulf Samuelson high sticking Pierre Mondou. Ended his career.

-Ulf Samuelsson taking out Neely's knees had a significant impact on the game

-Eddie Shore skated up behind Ace Bailey and took his feet out from under him, concussion. Ended his career.

-Perezhogin playing samurai.

-Dino ciccarelli going to jail for hitting Luke Richardson in the face with his stick.

-Tony Granato pulled McSorley on Niel Wilkinson

-Same With Brad May on Steve Heinz. He instigated the Moore bounty bit as well, yet the avs signed signed him to play for them.

-Cam Jannsen. Dirty hit if ive ever seen one.

There are many more...

The point is, dirty hits and deeds have always been there and still are. There is no excuse for them, but Bertuzzi is really the only one to ever be vilified to this level.

Every team head hunts, again, not condonable, but its part of hockey.

The man meant to hit. He didnt mean to end a career. Shore is still revered, Avs and Devils fans still love Lemieux..all of the above were allowed to move on, except marty, yet Bertuzzi cant.

Again, I guess memory is selective.

Bertuzzi is vilified because his poor choice had horrible consequences. The rest of th above mentioned were revered in many cases.

Ridiculous.

yeah but the roots of hockey are assaulting each other when you have the puck. its the name of the game. It was a bad thing that happened to moore but in no way does it look any different then other sucker punches. what would you have happen to bert? you want us to bring bad public hanging? would that make you feel better?

and how do you know that moore didn't dive alittle to make it look worse then what it was just to make sure they seen it and just screwed up and dropped his head to much...heck haven't you seen players do stupid stuff and hurt themselves doing it..it happens in football all the time. you just don't know. you do know there is not a hockey player playing that would go out on the ice in front of the crowd of millions of people and say ima end this guys life/career. no one.

Edited by Lint123

Oh for the love of god, get off it already....if you think that bertuzzi wanted to hurt moore, then you're right, same as mac wanted to hurt claude....the difference is that when mac was pounding on claude who was turtled up on ice, he didn't have 5 other players fall on top of him....and sure as hell i know you were cheering when mac was unleashing on that bastard, but as soon as another player does it you start your stupid, hypocritical threads...and you're talking about injuries, the only bad injury was the concussion, the 3 fractured vertebrae were hairline fractures that are only detectable by xray, so he could have had them for a while because they don't show any symptoms....Moore had his 15 min of fame and now he's milking it for what it's worth....

No matter what your opinions are about the situation, that is one of the most disgusting comments I've seen on this board. I wish you could step back and think about the ramifications of what happened that day. I don't agree with that comment, and neither does Bertuzzi.

exactly. anyone who is "glad" about moore's injuries obviously lacks any decency

:huh: uhhh :o jesus.... :blink: really classy. <_< the part where you use the whole free speech right to make yourself out to be a pile of :thumbdown: ...see how that worked? censorship....odd little thing. Sometimes takes his friend classy out...wouldn't know much about either one though. Well thats ok, by the time you reach 18 there will be a jail room for you; of this I am sure.

You know what gets my goat about the hit on Moore is that no one mentions the Avs player jumping on Bert's back as the possible cause of the injury Moore suffered. It's all a bad circumstance but Moore's neck sure took a good second beating on the insuing hit Bert took after the original suckerpunch and push.

If someone in NASCAR is pushing for position and gets the peron in front of them loose and puts them into the wall and they die, should the driver who caused the accident be charged with a crime? NO! They're playing the game.

Bertuzzi meant to hurt Moore, not to end his career. And on a personal note, if I'm going to sucker punch someone, I don't want them to see it coming or to get back up when I do it. He meant to hurt him in that respect.

I don't know how anyone can watch that video and not be disgusted. You can try to justify it any way you want, "he didn't mean to hurt him that bad, etc, etc. But Bertuzzi made such a poor reckless choice that cost another guy his career and could've frickin killed him. I just can't respect a guy like that.