• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
WingsownNHL

Bob Probert

Rate this topic

I was looking at probies wikipedia page and something shocked me. His 3rd season, 1987-88 he had 29 goals 33 assists, which was 3rd on the team in points. He went to the all star game and led the team in points during the post season..

What the hell happened after this season?? LOl :blink:

I was looking at probies wikipedia page and something shocked me. His 3rd season, 1987-88 he had 29 goals 33 assists, which was 3rd on the team in points. He went to the all star game and led the team in points during the post season..

What the hell happened after this season?? LOl :blink:

Don't forget his 398 PIM. :D

That was the greatest season ever for Probie.

I'll never forget watching him in the All Star game playing on a line with Stevie. Man did he look lost out there. The All-Star game was pretty much no-touch even back then, so Probie didn't have a lot to do. And he was way over his head in terms of talent.

I think he played most of that year on Yzerman's line. That's gonna help a lot.

*bracing myself for the inevitable joke about it being coke-related*

While his success wasn't due to coke like some speculate, I think the drop in numbers were related to all his alcohol and drug problems. If he could've stayed clean, he would've been a force to be reckoned with for most of his career, and not just due to his fists.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Don't forget his 398 PIM. :D

That was the greatest season ever for Probie.

I'll never forget watching him in the All Star game playing on a line with Stevie. Man did he look lost out there. The All-Star game was pretty much no-touch even back then, so Probie didn't have a lot to do. And he was way over his head in terms of talent.

I think he played most of that year on Yzerman's line. That's gonna help a lot.

*bracing myself for the inevitable joke about it being coke-related*

While his success wasn't due to coke like some speculate, I think the drop in numbers were related to all his alcohol and drug problems. If he could've stayed clean, he would've been a force to be reckoned with for most of his career, and not just due to his fists.

Yeah, we hated Probert in STL back in the day too. He'd just wreak hell all over us. Bertuzzi early on in VAN really reminded me of the Probert before he got into all of the off-ice issues. But then again, defenses wern't like they are now or in the trap-era and play was more wide-open so point totals then are inflated over what we are used to.

Funny thing that I remember about Probert that always sticks w/ me was a playoff series the Wings played against the Blues (opening round; but don't remember which year) when he got kicked out for brawling along with another Wings player and 10 minutes later for whatever reason, the TV feed in STL had a shot of Probert and the other player in the Detroit locker room laughing, kicking back, and tipping a couple of cold brews down watching the game on TV. Was bizarre to see; but made me laugh and realize the guy had a sense of humor. Guess you had to be there; but just floors me when I think about it the way sports are dipicted in this day and age.

All those remarks from HaroldSnepts^^ up there^^ sound right to me.

I'd just add that lotsa Wings scored LOTSA points back in those days. Was back when the NHL was fun. No Stanley Cups for detroit or anything, BUT I always found it much easier to get excited about the upcoming game. Looked forward to seeing what some of the nut-jobs on those clubs were gonna do on any given night.

Hell - Gerry Gallant was 2nd on that team in scoring? Klima netted 37 goals - 2nd highest of his career. Fun fun fun.

aloha

Didn't he end up getting suspended for a year (or go to jail - one or the other), soon after his breakout year in 87-88? I became a Wings fan during the 89 playoffs (which the Wings lost in the 1st round to Chicago), and Probert had already had his problems by then.

Probie was the man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMU6uLVppXk

Classic

I love that clip. Stevie Y standing up on the bench, then taunting Domi with the heavyweight belt.

Man, so much of Domi's success as a fighter was based on his ability to take a punch to that square head of his.

It was so sad to watch someone as successful as Probie was that one year then have so many problems. I remember he lived at the apartments right by the Joe (can't remember the name Riverfront or something like it) so he could walk to practice and the games. And he was on those meds that would make you sick as a dog if you touched a drop of alcohol.

When he was on his game, he was scary as hell. He'd beat you down and chip in some goals too.

I love that clip. Stevie Y standing up on the bench, then taunting Domi with the heavyweight belt.

Man, so much of Domi's success as a fighter was based on his ability to take a punch to that square head of his.

True dat Harold. :beerbuddy:

I barely remember Probie in a Wings jersey, the first hockey game I ever watched was when I was 8 and the Wings beat the Sharks that night but lost that series in 94.

Does anyone remember Fedorov going apes*** on somebody that series and getting suspended or something? I remember it was something really shocking and pretty dirty, at least to me at the time.

That All-Star season, Probert said that if he had scored his 30th goal, he would have immediately hit the closest guy from the other team to have a 30 goal, 400 PIM season. Good times. :)

Probert was a solid hockey player. If an in-his-prime Bob Probert played on this Detroit team, they'd be a much better hockey club. He was everything a tough guy should be. Maybe the greatest fighter ever, and he followed the code like nobody since. Always gave the up and comers a shot at the title, never cherry picked.

He was also scary as hell. He used to share an apartment in the building I lived in near downtown Detroit. His roommate? Joe Kocur! I sh** you not.

They don't make 'em like Probie anymore.

Does anyone remember Fedorov going apes*** on somebody that series and getting suspended or something? I remember it was something really shocking and pretty dirty, at least to me at the time.

I seem to remember Fedorov joining McCarty in the penalty box after that incident and McCarty visibly asking him, "Why did you do that?"

Probert was a solid hockey player. If an in-his-prime Bob Probert played on this Detroit team, they'd be a much better hockey club. He was everything a tough guy should be. Maybe the greatest fighter ever, and he followed the code like nobody since. Always gave the up and comers a shot at the title, never cherry picked.

Thats why I find Laraque to be pretty lame sometimes.

It did not hurt that everyone was afraid of him too. Pat Jablonski was playing for the Blues and they were in Detroit to play the Wings. A bunch of guys that were a bit older than me had played with him growing up and they were hanging out with them the night before the game. Apparently some of the St Louis players were playing Sega hockey and talking about Probert. They basically said that they watch him before the game and if he looks pissed they stay as far away from him as possible. I also remember having good seats for a game back in the day and everybody gave him plenty of room. It obviously gave Yzerman lotsa room too.

...once clicking on these probie links, I got to finally see the Sabres/Senators brawl, as a link to that video popped up while watcing the PRobert one. Seeing the coaches screaming at each other brought back memories of Scotty Bowman and Marc Crawford (when he was coach of the aves) at JLA. Does anyone have a link to that video? Thanks in advance!

Federov cross checked one of the Shark players in the head and ended up getting suspended the first few games of the next season. He was incredibly frustrated by the Shark's hooking and holding, and he just snapped, I guess.

Does anyone know where i can get a collection of Probert's fights?

Make sure to check out the McSorley fight (an all time classic) and the first and second rounds with Domi when he played for the Rangers. Look for Domi holding up the championship "belt" after round 1 and Yzerman mocking him after he lost round 2 to Probie. Also, Probert's KD of Scott Parker when Probie was with the Hawks.

Detroit had the best one-two punch (pun intended) in the league at that time, with Probert and Kocur. And there were other guys willing to go besides them, too. Wow, have things changed.