• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingschamps

Simon pulls a McSorley

Rate this topic

I really don't buy into the "bad publicity" thing. Controversy and violence attracts more viewers than it repels. In sports and in every other form of entertainment.

I don't disagree with you about the controversy & entertainment angle...Relatively speaking, I just meant that this sort of thing is exactly why the NHL has a harder time breaking into new markets on the commercial level - ironically, the very activity (dirty plays & the drama in their aftermath) that may attract new audiences and generate higher ratings are the same things that sometimes give the league a poor image in the eyes of potential business partners and television/marketing executives. Thus, making it more difficult to get a decent TV contract for the rights to the games and ultimately causing more harm than good...IMHO, anyway.

I don't care what Hollweg said to Simon or whoever else, YOU DON'T USE YOUR STICK AS A WEAPON! Period. You wanna do something about it then be a man and drop the gloves. Nuff said.

Well put :clap:

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Does the "Hollweg had it coming" remark mean that Simon was right to do what he did? Or did Hollweg had a fight coming, but not an assault with a deadly weapon?

I forgot to ask you about this and was reminded when I was rereading the posts.

HOW CAN YOU HATE DINO CICCARELLI???????

That's like saying you don't like hockey :D

Seriously, how could you not love a pipsqueak like Dino who basically invented the style of play that Holmstrom has pretty much perfected in front of the net. I believe he was undrafted, not too mention too slow and small and yet he persevered to score 600 goals.

I'll admit, i'm biased. I've worn the #22 as long as I can remember due in part because of Dino (mostly Will Clark though). To this day Dino is still probably my favorite player of all time (Shanny is up there too).

If you don't like him because of some of the off ice stuff, I can understand that but he was one hell of a hockey player.

DINO FOR THE HALL!

I don't care what Hollweg said to Simon or whoever else, YOU DON'T USE YOUR STICK AS A WEAPON! Period. You wanna do something about it then be a man and drop the gloves. Nuff said.

Good post. You are indeed correct.

Simons finished. When you look at that video, it really looks a lot harder than what McSorley did to Brashear. I think Simon should get an even longer suspension. You just can't do things like that. Even if Hollweg is ok, that makes no difference in the matter. He should get a nice lengthy suspension for that.

I forgot to ask you about this and was reminded when I was rereading the posts.

HOW CAN YOU HATE DINO CICCARELLI???????

That's like saying you don't like hockey :D

Seriously, how could you not love a pipsqueak like Dino who basically invented the style of play that Holmstrom has pretty much perfected in front of the net. I believe he was undrafted, not too mention too slow and small and yet he persevered to score 600 goals.

I'll admit, i'm biased. I've worn the #22 as long as I can remember due in part because of Dino (mostly Will Clark though). To this day Dino is still probably my favorite player of all time (Shanny is up there too).

If you don't like him because of some of the off ice stuff, I can understand that but he was one hell of a hockey player.

DINO FOR THE HALL!

:P My hatred of Dino may stem from the fact, that when I saw him first in the 1980s, he was being his usual dirty bastard self for Team Canada(edit) in the WHC or for his NHL teams vs the Russian teams that I rooted for. Same reason I hate Bobby Clarke. :)

Edited by sibiriak

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Ray Ferraro spoke about this on the Jim Rome show, where I thought he made some excellent points. I'll paraphrase:

- The initial hit Hollweg put on Simon (he boarded him) was a penalty and should have been called

- Hollweg is part of a growing number of players (he sighted Cam Jansen and a few others) who bring absolutely nothing to the game, run around like crazy, and basically have impunity from their actions since they don't have to fight (and in many cases won't)

- He believes this trend began with the implementation of the instigator rule; he also believes GMs are starting to see this trend, hense the increase in fighting this year and lessening of penalties involving the instigator rule

- With all this said, Ray still feels Simon's act was despicable and that he should be suspended for the rest of this season (including playoffs), at a minimum

Ray Ferraro a true genius. Sorry, I liked him as a player but ever since he's become a TV guy I think he blows donkey chunks. He's terrible. Every time I hear him speak he says something so baffling to me I wonder if he's high on glue or something.

I didn't see the clip you're referencing but if Ferraro said that guys like Janssen and Hollweg don't or won't fight. That'd be a typical Ferraro statement that would cause me to spit up my beer all over myself when I heard it.

1. Hollweg didn't catch him in the back. It was borderline. Could've been called, could've been let go and it was. Was it boarding? Borderline, he finished his check. Ferraro is a candy ass.

2. Janssen has had 13 fights this year (tied for 3rd most in the league) and Hollweg's had 12 (tied for 4th most). So WTF is Ray talking about.

3. The only thing Ray got right is that Simon ought to be suspended for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

Just read that he was suspended indefinitelty for hit on Fox Sports.com. The story was pulled dirtectly from the AP. AP says Holloweg drove Simon into the boards right before the ensuing incident. Maybe they should actually watch the play before they decide to write about it.

Just read that he was suspended indefinitelty for hit on Fox Sports.com. The story was pulled dirtectly from the AP. AP says Holloweg drove Simon into the boards right before the ensuing incident. Maybe they should actually watch the play before they decide to write about it.

Ummmm, maybe you should actually watch the play before deciding to write about it. Holloweg did drive Simon into the boards right before the slash. Unless you trying to suggest it happened 10 seconds before and saying right before isn't accurage, in which case, I do not understand your point.

Edited by toby91_ca

Guest Don Corleone

Heat of the moment.........

Weak argument for Simon. Players without a history like Simon's I could MAYBE understand but not him.

Chris Simon, A.K.A. Greasy Mullet, is a punk, he is way beyond his horrible excuse for prime, and should be kicked out of the NHL. You want to get revenge in hockey, you do it by dropping the gloves. This isn't basketball or baseball or even football. This is a sport that was known for fighting until recently. Even if you don't want to fight, just take his number and check him back. This happens frequently. You could even go as far as saying "Hey ref. that wasnt boarding?" But the last thing on earth you should do is two-hand someone in the face!! Things like that make me amazed at how the instigator rule is still in the NHL. How many more players have to be needlessly injured for the the GMs to get rid of this idiotic rule?

Oh, I know he was given a 10 minute penalty, but im confused. Were the Isles short handed for 10 minutes? His PIM for the game showed 12, but he got a minor in the first. I know he was ejected. Did anyone watch it? Was it a 10 minute powerplay?

IPB Image

I was even more disappointed that Simon didn't even apologize in the post game interviews. I think the closest he came was saying he was sorry he let his teammates down.

Yeah, what about the guy whose head you tried to chop off?

I really don't buy into the "bad publicity" thing. Controversy and violence attracts more viewers than it repels. In sports and in every other form of entertainment.

This was uncalled for by Simon and warrants a suspension, obviously. You can't swing a stick at a guy's head. Just drop the gloves and beat the crap out of him.

In general I agree with you about the no bad publicity thing.

But I think incidents like this allow a lot of people to write hockey off as a marginal sport like ultimate fighting, instead of it being considered one of the big four. It makes it seem like an illegitimate sport because of the perception that it's just a bunch of guys skating around trying to brain one another.

I was even more disappointed that Simon didn't even apologize in the post game interviews. I think the closest he came was saying he was sorry he let his teammates down.

Yeah, what about the guy whose head you tried to chop off?

In general I agree with you about the no bad publicity thing.

But I think incidents like this allow a lot of people to write hockey off as a marginal sport like ultimate fighting, instead of it being considered one of the big four. It makes it seem like an illegitimate sport because of the perception that it's just a bunch of guys skating around trying to brain one another.

yeah that's not really making sense. You'd think you would say your sorry to the guy you hit

And people wanted Simon on the Wings, i know i saw people wanting him :unsure:

I unfortunately was one of those people. I wanted him due to toughness/sticking up for his teammates. I am now glad the Wings never thought of acquiring him.

Chris Simon, A.K.A. Greasy Mullet, is a punk, he is way beyond his horrible excuse for prime, and should be kicked out of the NHL. You want to get revenge in hockey, you do it by dropping the gloves. This isn't basketball or baseball or even football. This is a sport that was known for fighting until recently. Even if you don't want to fight, just take his number and check him back. This happens frequently. You could even go as far as saying "Hey ref. that wasnt boarding?" But the last thing on earth you should do is two-hand someone in the face!! Things like that make me amazed at how the instigator rule is still in the NHL. How many more players have to be needlessly injured for the the GMs to get rid of this idiotic rule?

Oh, I know he was given a 10 minute penalty, but im confused. Were the Isles short handed for 10 minutes? His PIM for the game showed 12, but he got a minor in the first. I know he was ejected. Did anyone watch it? Was it a 10 minute powerplay?

IPB Image

No, 10 minute misconducts do not result in a short-handed situation. The player is merely in the box for 10 minutes. This is kind of a fundamental rule of hockey. Usually they are assessed in conjunction with 2 for unsportsmanlike or with a game misconduct. Unlike most penalties, goaltenders DO have to serve their own 10-minute misconducts.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Wasent defending him, hes a doushebag but you guys are focusing on the negative. We should be reminsings on how Hollweg is ok.

And people wanted Simon on the Wings, i know i saw people wanting him :unsure:

I was one of them. I thought he would bring a sense of toughness that the Wings surely needed, but after seeing that, I definitly don't want him now. What a jerk.