• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DraperFan MN

More Games in HD

Rate this topic

Hockey on television is meant to be broadcast in HD. It just doesn't get any better. As a Center Ice customer, the games in HD are limited. Unlike all the major sports, upgrading from the standard package is not an option. (I believe MLB will soon have an agreement in place with DirecTV) I say we should have a choice. Let your voice be heard! Go to the below link, and at the bottom of the page you will see another link to contact NHL Center Ice.. Send your feedback if you would like to see more games in HD through the Center Ice package.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice.html

I sent the following:

I understand not all games are available in HD through NHL Center Ice, but the NHL should be working to broadcast as many games in HD as possible. Our game in HD is a completely different television experience. The NFL Sunday Ticket through DirecTV has a an "upgrade" feature customers can pay for to view games in HD versus standard DTV. The NHL should pursue this with Sports InDemand and all cable and satellite providers, and have this in place by next season. I can tell you, I would gladly the pay the extra fee if it meant I could view the majority of games in HD. All the major sports (Major League Baseball is close to their agreement with DirecTV) will have something like this in place. This is a no brainer...get it done!

Edited by DraperFan MN

Gary Bettman believe's the fans don't want HD to watch Hockey and wants to push to make the markets of those traditional non HD viewers succeed.

Edited by Jwo

I completely agree that hockey benefits from HD more than any other sport, period. You have to admit there is A LOT more in HD this year than last year. It's pretty much standard that 80% of the VS games and 95% of the NBC games are in HD. The sport is also lucky that many (not all) local networks (like FSN Detroit) are now in HD at least for home games. I live in the Bay Area and all home Sharks games are in HD and many away games as well. Now that brings us to the topic at hand and the frustration of Wings fans who live outside the local broadcast area and are forced to watch the Wings on NHL Center Ice. It is just plain annoying when you are sitting in front of your HDTV watching Center Ice and Ken Daniels says "tonight's game is presented in crystal clear high definition" and you think "yeah thats great for people in Michigan." However, NBA fans I know have the exact same gripe with NBA League Pass. Granted NBA fans have multiple HD games weekly on ESPN, TNT, ABC, and NBATV, but League Pass subscribers get screwed just like us hockey fans. The point i'm trying to make here is that if they haven't done it for NBA League Pass then they are a long way from doing it for NHL Center Ice. The even more frustrating thing is that NHL Center Ice is in fact broadcasting a very small amount of games each month in HD pulling from the local market feeds. This is what they "claim" is being broadcast in HD in the month of March to NHL Center Ice subscribers:

http://www.indemand.com/sports/nhl/schedul...lScheduleHD.pdf

Here's what really sucks. Even if you have NHL Center Ice, you have to be lucky enough that your local cable provider pumps these games on your HD channels. I'd like to take a survery of NHL Center Ice subscribers. According to the schedule above, last week's Wings/Preds game was broadcast in HD on NHL Center Ice from the FSN Detroit feed. How many people out there with NHL Center Ice actually saw this game in HD? The same goes for this Tuesdays game which again is supposedly available to NHL CI subscribers in HD. Maybe I just have a crappy cable provider but i'd really be curious to know how many people are getting these HD Center Ice games.

Even more disturbing is that ESPNHD seems to lack the local HD feeds for SportsCenter highlights. Sure, sometimes you'll see the HD local feed in the highlight reel but it's rare at best. You can bet last night's SportsCenter didn't show the game highlights in HD, rather they pulled the highlights right off of Center Ice instead of FSN Detroit HD which apparently they don't even have access to.

Edited by SFwingsfan

Here's what really sucks. Even if you have NHL Center Ice, you have to be lucky enough that your local cable provider pumps these games on your HD channels. I'd like to take a survery of NHL Center Ice subscribers. According to the schedule above, last week's Wings/Preds game was broadcast in HD on NHL Center Ice from the FSN Detroit feed. How many people out there with NHL Center Ice actually saw this game in HD? The same goes for this Tuesdays game which again is supposedly available to NHL CI subscribers in HD. Maybe I just have a crappy cable provider but i'd really be curious to know how many people are getting these HD Center Ice games.

I have CI through Cablevision and I have yet to see a single Wings game broadcast in HD through my CI feeds. I check my HD channels regularly to see if any hockey games are being broadcast in HD and all I get is the local sports channels (MSG HD, FSNY HD, etc.). I contacted them to find out why this is, but I never received an answer.

I'd get to watch tomorrow's game in HD on NBC...except for the fact that I know I'll be getting the NY/Carolina game instead of the Detroit/Boston game. <_<

Guest Crymson

In the forseeable future, every channel will be HD-capable.

As is, Center Ice has no control over what channels are broadcasted in HD. Center Ice merely allows access to the respective channels that show the games.

Besides the HD Net games, DirecTV does have channel 95 they seem to broadcast at least a couple of HD hokcey games from local feeds each week.

I did get to see the Predators/Wings and Kings/Wings games in HD recently, and of course, the Bruins debacle. So I would agree, there is a lot more being offered this year than in past years. Believe me, if the NHL, television partners, and advertisers believe there is a market out there, we will have the option to get the CI games in HD.

I did hear a rumor about DirecTV offering a ton of new HD channels, and their ads indicate this is truth, and a big part of these new HD channels is supposed to be sports. I would venture to guess that if they already have the NFL set up, maybe hockey and basketball will be next. I am still encourage everyone who frequents this site to let your voice be heard. Its worth doing, so just take two minutes.

:clap: IT DOES!

I hate how hockey will be on and then I go to the HD channels and they have on pro BMX in HD or bowling on in HD. GRRRRRRRRR............ :angry:

Hey...it doesnt get any better than Pete Weber in HD. No, im not kidding!

IPB Image