• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sayalaska

Sergei Fedorov boos

Rate this topic

The key word is WAS. Fedorov WAS a part of the Wings and three Cups.

Fans booing him is totally deserved. He's part of the opposition NOW.

In addition he left the Wings organization like a petulant child.

agreed... for all those who think it's classless that we boo, quit being up tight and get a sense of humor. you guys take yourselves too seriously.

in addition fedorov left because he thought he needed the spotlight, more ice time. etc. but he found out quickly that he couldnt carry a team and started losing. he started missing the playoffs and recieved less ice time.

its justified that we remind him of this everytime he comes to JLA.

Maybe when he retires.

Chelios still gets booed in Chicago, remember?

Yeah I was thinking after he retires. But I think some people, like myself, who would boooo are starting to ease up.

Booing Fedorov should be expected, just like Chicago fans booo Cheli. It's part of the game.

I'm on the side of the non-booers simply because I'm not one to boo anyway. Here's the thing, booing Fedorov because of why he left is silly imo but people are going to do it so why the hell do we have to keep covering the topic. Nothing is going to change, some will boo, some wont, let it be.

However, not booing Fedorov simply because he was a great Wing isn't right either. IMO, I don't want any other player to succeed against the Wings and in that respect I can see some people booing perhaps. I know this isn't the case for Feds but i'm just bringing it up because the fact is Fedorov plays for another team and that makes him 100% an acceptable target for booing. He isn't a WIng so people can boo him all they want IMO for whatever reasons they want, legit or not.

But this thread started with somebody saying they were glad Feds scored the winner and others were glad as well. That's ridiculous horse s*** and those are the people I think aren't true Wings fans because their loyalty should be with this team not the Feds teams of years past.

Bottom line is booing him is going to happen and you don't know all the reasons why some boo. Just because he was a former wing doesn't shield him from booing, even though that's not the real reason he gets booed. We don't have to be loyal to him any more.

I don't think any Wings fan wanted the Wings to lose. but since they did, I for one am glad it was Fedorov to send alot of those idiots who boo home with a frown. He got the last laugh this time, and since they lost anyway, I'm glad. I was smiling ear to ear, and if you (not you Gord, but anyone) think I'm not a fan because of it shove it.

From SI article:

MOSCOW (Reuters) -- Sergei Fedorov, who signed a five-year, $40 million contract as a free agent with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Saturday, says he only has fond memories of playing in Detroit.

"I can honestly say that 13 seasons with Detroit were the best years of my life," said Fedorov.

"That's why I do not have any bitterness leaving the city, but the Detroit fans ... I'm going to miss them the most."

Fedorov said he was disappointed not to re-sign with the Red Wings, blaming Detroit general manager Ken Holland for stalling the negotiations.

"I've really, really tried to sign with Detroit, but every time we got close, they would back off," he said.

"When you negotiate a deal, the two sides must be satisfied with the offer, otherwise it just doesn't work. In the end, I felt like Ken Holland didn't really care to sign me."

Detroit owner Mike Ilitch offered Fedorov a five-year, $50 million deal early last season.

"It's true that they did offer me that much money last December, but it's not true that I turned it down," he said.

"I was in really bad shape back then, I was going through both personal and professional problems.

"I was trying to get my life back together, that's why I couldn't concentrate on contract talks then and asked them to wait. But they never came back with the same offer again."

In an interview with The Hockey News earlier this year, Fedorov admitted that he was going through tough times after divorcing Russian tennis player Anna Kournikova.

Fedorov said that Anaheim general manager Bryan Murray was one of the main reasons he chose the Stanley Cup finalists.

"He was my first coach in the NHL back in 1990 when I joined the Red Wings," the Russian said. "He was the one who taught me how to play the NHL style and we've been in contact ever since."

Fedorov said. "I've never been a selfish player ever since I started my career with the Red Army. I had always put the team first, that's why in Detroit we won three Stanley Cups in six years.

Edited by bringback91

agreed... for all those who think it's classless that we boo, quit being up tight and get a sense of humor. you guys take yourselves too seriously.

in addition fedorov left because he thought he needed the spotlight, more ice time. etc. but he found out quickly that he couldnt carry a team and started losing. he started missing the playoffs and recieved less ice time.

Right, there is a reason he get's boooed. Anyone who played Center in Detroit from 1983-2006 was 2nd to Yzerman, it didn't matter who he was.

Fedorov didn't always like it, but that's what made him such a great Red Wing and a 3 time Champion, he wanted more.

:clap: Ive been saying the samething.

Booing.... cmon get over youselves.

I'm glad Fedorov scored to win the game for Columbus. Its a joke that everytime he touched the puck he was booed by the fans tonight. He was such a HUGE part of the Stanley Cup teams here back in the 90's. I understand that he left for more money...so did Shanny....you gonna boo him too?

yeah that was the 90'3 get over it baby. stop crying

Glad Fedorov got the game winning goal.

glad he got the winning goal??? and you are a wings fan??? i wish he would have fell and broke his coccyx(Napoleon Dynamite)

Booing Fedorov is stupid.

I'm glad if anyone got the goal it was him, as it was poetic justice.

I don't care if it's for grins or because you have a severe dislike for him, it's just wrong to boo a former Red Wing...especially one who did so much for the team.

Now, it's just DUMB and embarassing, but it was REALLY MEAN spirited in the past. People were really mean and rude and classless when Sergei was first traded, so I don't feel like it's 'okay' to do it at all.

Even though it's just an echo of its former self...it needs to stop...it's so embarassing. For every other shootout shooter people were chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy' but then they boo'ed for Sergei...ew.

:rolleyes:

"I'm glad if anyone got the goal it was him, as it was poetic justice." wow you really are a whiner. again broke coccyx

I'm sick of the boos too....feds is still one of the reasons I fell in love with the red wings to begin with

its hockey!!!!!!! not the OC

wow i can't eve believe we have a thread like this...its hockey for god's sake. why don't we just sit there drinking our cup of earl gray with our pinky's in the air. damn!!!

Edited by Lint123

:clap: Ive been saying the samething.

Booing.... cmon get over youselves.

Yeah what to people want? Should he have got a huge ovation while getting ready for the shoot out, and cheered again when he scored?

Fedorov is with the opposition and is a treat to beat us, there's no way he should be cheered and encouraged at The Joe. He'll get his ovation in due time after he retires. I for one would like to see him be thanked by the fans for what he did in Detroit one day, however, now is not the right time.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I don't think any Wings fan wanted the Wings to lose. but since they did, I for one am glad it was Fedorov to send alot of those idiots who boo home with a frown. He got the last laugh this time, and since they lost anyway, I'm glad. I was smiling ear to ear, and if you (not you Gord, but anyone) think I'm not a fan because of it shove it.

From SI article:

MOSCOW (Reuters) -- Sergei Fedorov, who signed a five-year, $40 million contract as a free agent with the Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Saturday, says he only has fond memories of playing in Detroit.

"I can honestly say that 13 seasons with Detroit were the best years of my life," said Fedorov.

"That's why I do not have any bitterness leaving the city, but the Detroit fans ... I'm going to miss them the most."

Fedorov said he was disappointed not to re-sign with the Red Wings, blaming Detroit general manager Ken Holland for stalling the negotiations.

"I've really, really tried to sign with Detroit, but every time we got close, they would back off," he said.

"When you negotiate a deal, the two sides must be satisfied with the offer, otherwise it just doesn't work. In the end, I felt like Ken Holland didn't really care to sign me."

Detroit owner Mike Ilitch offered Fedorov a five-year, $50 million deal early last season.

"It's true that they did offer me that much money last December, but it's not true that I turned it down," he said.

"I was in really bad shape back then, I was going through both personal and professional problems.

"I was trying to get my life back together, that's why I couldn't concentrate on contract talks then and asked them to wait. But they never came back with the same offer again."

In an interview with The Hockey News earlier this year, Fedorov admitted that he was going through tough times after divorcing Russian tennis player Anna Kournikova.

Fedorov said that Anaheim general manager Bryan Murray was one of the main reasons he chose the Stanley Cup finalists.

"He was my first coach in the NHL back in 1990 when I joined the Red Wings," the Russian said. "He was the one who taught me how to play the NHL style and we've been in contact ever since."

Fedorov said. "I've never been a selfish player ever since I started my career with the Red Army. I had always put the team first, that's why in Detroit we won three Stanley Cups in six years.

Yeah, the only problem though is that most of the people who boo him for non-legit reasons, all he did by scoring the game winner was silence them for the night. By him scoring the winner and pissing those folks off they're only going to boo him more and see him more as a villain for beating us in front of the home crowd. IMO, it will actually have an adverse effect because those folks are just gonna boo even more next time.

Booing is fun. Booing is part of the game. Booing a former player when he plays your team is part of the fun. Feel free to cheer Feds when he scores game-winners against any of the other 28 teams in the league, no problem.

Fedorov is a legitimate threat to score against any team, especially Osgood, since he knows Ozzie so well.

I really don't understand the whole "look what he did for us in the 90's" attitude. He's not here now. He plays for a division rival. He deserves to be booed.

Do you guys mean to tell me that if somehow Fedorov, Shanny, Mac, Lapointe, and Aaron Ward all started playing for the same team, you'd be glad everytime they beat us, because of what they did in the past?

*edit..forgot a punctuation mark

Edited by drwscc

The really entertaining part here is that if Sergei had the opportunity to come back to the Wings, he would. He still has a home here and spends a lot of time here in the off-season. Not to mention that his numbers have been really (for lack of a better term) crappy since leaving Det.

I would enjoy having him back simply because, when he plays hard, he's nearly unstoppable.

Seriously. Why are defending the guy who beat us? Who cares what he did for us in the 90's? Who cares why we boo him? This is 2007 and he is not a Wing. If you cheered for him when he scored go post in the I only pretend to be a wings fan forum. Get your class and red wine drinking kicks in there. Ya'll are probably the reason why the "season" ticket seats are always empty cuase it conflicts with your wine tasting seminars to attend a game. Holmstrom could've left for more money, Yzerman could've left for money. They did not though becuase they are loyal to Detroit. He was not. He is loyal to pink and green. So unless Fedirov becomes a wing again, I will boo him. Detroit fans don't have class, we love our team and support Red and White. So go be happy that the wings lost, I boo you! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't vouch for why 100% of the booers boo Fedorov, but the guy did manage to build up a decent amount of ill will toward the end of his time in DET.

The thing that does it for me is the sheer number of times the guy used to miss an open net. He'd miss it from 5 feet away and put it wide right or over the crossbar. Maybe he was just snakebitten, maybe he got lazy, I don't know. But that's why I was actually glad to see Fedorov go and why I don't care for him still.

Yes he had some great years in DET. Yes he did things for the team. But he was also a distraction (one big reason why regardless of what Hasek does for the WIngs I'll never care for him), and he seemed to be an offensive liability at times when the WIngs really needed him (which I now find ironic that Datsyuk at his age gets criticized for the same thing).

The smugness, the attiutude, the disappointments... it just all adds up to a lot of WIngs fans hating the guy. And I guess I understand it entirely.

-- Primis.

One of the main reasons Shanahan left was because he felt it was time for the young guns of the team to get the ice time they deserved. And due to the fact Yzerman retired, he felt it was the changing of the guard. Shanahan deserves nothing but respect and I believe his situation is different to that of Fedorov’s.

In other words, Shanahan and his agents are much better in spinning it for the media. His speechwriter should get a nice bonus for the " It's time for new blood" angle. Bottom line: both left for less money to play in a bigger media market.

But Shanahan spun it so much better. ;)

I can't vouch for why 100% of the booers boo Fedorov, but the guy did manage to build up a decent amount of ill will toward the end of his time in DET.

The thing that does it for me is the sheer number of times the guy used to miss an open net. He'd miss it from 5 feet away and put it wide right or over the crossbar. Maybe he was just snakebitten, maybe he got lazy, I don't know. But that's why I was actually glad to see Fedorov go and why I don't care for him still.

Yes he had some great years in DET. Yes he did things for the team. But he was also a distraction (one big reason why regardless of what Hasek does for the WIngs I'll never care for him), and he seemed to be an offensive liability at times when the WIngs really needed him (which I now find ironic that Datsyuk at his age gets criticized for the same thing).

The smugness, the attiutude, the disappointments... it just all adds up to a lot of WIngs fans hating the guy. And I guess I understand it entirely.

-- Primis.

Career Playoff Production

#91 13 seasons 162 gp. 163 pts. +38 11 gwg's.

#19 20 seasons 196 gp. 185 pts. -11 12 gwg's.

I'd say he was anything but a offensive liability. Maybe it takes a bit of smugness, attitude, and a few disappointments to make a champion? I don't know, but I'd have to say the formula worked well for him and the Wings. I don't really get the open net thing, I'm willing to bet he won a hell of alot more games than he lost for the Wings. Don't kid yourself, alot of Wings "fans" only love a winner, they wouldn't be around if times were tough. Fact is if not for Fedorov (who was the missing piece of a championship (finally) puzzle, they wouldn't have cared about the Wings, cause they wouldn't have won any Cups. That's my main problem, sure he plays for a different team, but like it or not he was absoulutly HUGE for the Wings and he deserves some respect. At least not being boo'd every time he touches the puck, they don't even do that to Forsberg. Looking at the numbers, I'd say he was every bit as important as Stevie, something he must agree on if you've heard his speech from his jersey retirement.

Edited by bringback91

Fedorov deserves to be booed and I'll tell you why. He should have been a much, much better NHL player than he currently is. He should not be playing on the blueline for the freaking Columbus Blue Jackets. He should have hit 500 goals a long time ago as well. His heart is not as big as his talent and it shows. Maybe you can blame a certain pretend female tennis player for that. Or maybe it was just his disappointment in playing under Yzerman's shadow. His numbers would be great for tons of other NHL players, but for him they are disappointing. Let the fans boo if they choose. They paid good money for those tickets and they can do what they want. Besides, I'm sure they would welcome him back with open arms.

Booing is fun. Booing is part of the game. Booing a former player when he plays your team is part of the fun. Feel free to cheer Feds when he scores game-winners against any of the other 28 teams in the league, no problem.

Fedorov is a legitimate threat to score against any team, especially Osgood, since he knows Ozzie so well.

I really don't understand the whole "look what he did for us in the 90's" attitude. He's not here now. He plays for a division rival. He deserves to be booed.

Do you guys mean to tell me that if somehow Fedorov, Shanny, Mac, Lapointe, and Aaron Ward all started playing for the same team, you'd be glad everytime they beat us, because of what they did in the past?

*edit..forgot a punctuation mark

You are right, the booing is a part of the game. Booing the opposition as a a whole, or particular players for what they did in the game, or in recent memory. Booing a blown call by the refs.

Except yesterday, there was none of that at the Joe. The only booing was against one player, near every time he touched the puck, years after he left Detroit. That is what I'd expect Nashville fans to do, since so many of them don't know enough to boo or chant "you suck" for a hockey related reason, rather than because someome else is doing that.

It's annoying, when the fans boo Fedorov, and only him for a reason half of them probably don't really understand, because if they were real hockey fans, wouldn't they have found at least one other occasion to boo, other then Fedorov touching the puck?

EDIT I mean by all means boo when Fedorov's name is announced, or when he first steps on the ice. But to boo him every time he touches the puck, and to do that to NO other player, makes Fedorov the public enemy number one in Detroit. Does he really deserve that distinction? Was even Claude booed EVERY time he touched the puck? I don't believe he was.

Edited by sibiriak

Career Playoff Production

#91 13 seasons 162 gp. 163 pts. +38 11 gwg's.

#19 20 seasons 196 gp. 185 pts. -11 12 gwg's.

I'd say he was anything but a offensive liability. Maybe it takes a bit of smugness, attitude, and a few disappointments to make a champion? I don't know, but I'd have to say the formula worked well for him and the Wings. I don't really get the open net thing, I'm willing to bet he won a hell of alot more games than he lost for the Wings. Don't kid yourself, alot of Wings "fans" only love a winner, they wouldn't be around if times were tough. Fact is if not for Fedorov (who was the missing piece of a championship (finally) puzzle, they wouldn't have cared about the Wings, cause they wouldn't have won any Cups. That's my main problem, sure he plays for a different team, but like it or not he was absoulutly HUGE for the Wings and he deserves some respect. At least not being boo'd every time he touches the puck, they don't even do that to Forsberg. Looking at the numbers, I'd say he was every bit as important as Stevie, something he must agree on if you've heard his speech from his jersey retirement.

so just to comment about one of your points....if we didn;'t have feds we wouldn't have won any cups??? is that what im reading?? wow if you think that then you are putting way to much into feds..i mean come on..look at our line for those cup wins...i seen alot more talent then just feds on those lines.

I decided not to post this one because it was a little harsh...

Point is Feds isnt the same guy he was when he left, he sorted out a lot of personal things. If the fans truly appreciate hockey, they would see his talent and appreciate what he did for this team...Its rare for players to stay with one team their whole career now a days...we were spoiled with Yzerman and Lidstrom...Should we then boo any player to ever leave this team because we were sad he left hell no...I was really sad he left, he was my favorite player my whole life. He was part of why I became a Wings fan at the age of 4 and I am still both a Wings fan and a Feds fan

Christ the guy deserves some respect

Edited by russianswede919293

so just to comment about one of your points....if we didn;'t have feds we wouldn't have won any cups??? is that what im reading?? wow if you think that then you are putting way to much into feds..i mean come on..look at our line for those cup wins...i seen alot more talent then just feds on those lines.

Nope. Name one player on any of those teams more talented than him. Name one more important at both ends of the ice. Him Stevie and Lids were as important as it got. Take any 1 of them away, and it probably wouldn't have gotten done. Fedorov could control a game himself. I think your discounting him too much.

Fedorov was our best and most clutch playoff scorer for pretty much his entire Detroit career. It is far and away no stretch to say we would not have ended the Cup drought without him in the line up.

I mean, you're talking about subtracting one of the best players in the world, at the time. It would be no different than taking Steve out of the equation. Everyone did their part to win those championships, and Sergei did a HUGE part.