• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Dynasty

Pick 2 Teams to eliminate

Rate this topic

Hockey needs to GROW, so eliminating any teams is a very bad idea. It is also very arrogant for a Detriot fan(s) to call for elimination of other people's teams. So my choices, just to be contrary, are Detroit and Toronto.

Hockey needs to GROW, so eliminating any teams is a very bad idea. It is also very arrogant for a Detriot fan(s) to call for elimination of other people's teams. So my choices, just to be contrary, are Detroit and Toronto.

I'm pretty sure no one here is seriously advocating dissolving an American and Canadian team, it's a just-for-fun discussion.

But hell while we're at it, why stop at two teams? Anaheim, Carolina, Colombus, Florida, Nashville, New York Islanders There, now the NHL has 4 six-team divisions. Perfect size for the league, IMO.

If I had to pick just one American and one Canadian, I would have to say Florida and...uhh...Ottawa I guess.

Nashville and Edmonton.

My reasons: Edmonton is such a small city, and the Oilers have such a hard time attracting free agents. And since MacTavish is a destroyer of talented players, they have very little room to develop talent through the draft. He'll never be fired, because him and Kevin Lowe are such good friends.

And Nashville: I just plain don't like. Too many reasons to list.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

Thats like saying "Which original six team should we ditch?" or "Which of the six Wings with retired numbers sucked the most?"

Delvecchio

No way I'd delete a Canadian team, but if I must, I'd choose Vancouver.

American ... Florida.

If I could order off the board ... Chicago and St. Louis, two worst drawing teams in the League.

You know that really kinda surprises me too, and really hacks me off.

They're two Midwestern teams, one is O6, the other O12. One has won a few Cups, the other recently held the record for most current consecutive playoff appearances of the major four sports. So yeah, I think they should be drawing much better than the last two of the whole freaking League!

Also Nashville is like one of the best teams this year, but they're only filling 88 percent capacity. That's very disturbing to me. I would imagine it is to the League as well. I'm sure Bettman has a standard, pat answer to gloss over it though. Still Nashville is at 88 percent while Chicago is at 58. OUCH!

Wirtz is a jack ass though. So I guess you could say Hawks fans are smart. Besides that UA Center is in a crap part of town too. There is absolutely NOTHING around it. No hotels, no bars. Many complain aboot JLA, but IMO UAC is much, much worse.

Also look at New Jersey's numbers. In the last 12 years they've won three Cups, similar to the Wings three in 10, but the Devils are only drawing at 73 percent, 27th in the League! That arena though is absolutely the worst, of the 10 or so arenas where I've attended games. Nothing around it except exit ramps and parking lots. The atmosphere inside is bad too. Pretty nice facilities, but sightlines are bad, and the seats in the upper level I imagine is like watching from New York! They seem really far away. I felt so disconnected from the game.

Figures from this link .... http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?s...t&year=2007

I know this is for fun, but I live near Nashville and I just think that Nashville will not have a hockey team in 5 yrs, you cannot support a hockey team on just fan base anymore, your need the corporate world and the city of Nashville and the surrounding businesses don't seem interested because they already support the Titans and the Nashville Sounds who are building a new baseball stadium in downtown, with hotels and condos and shopping malls. So my pick would be Nashville in the US, but as for Canada, this is tough, but if Ottawa does not do anything in the playoffs this year I think I would have to pick them, and I think there fans will be pissed if they bow out early. Honestly I don't see Canada losing any of their teams I see them actually adding one city and that would be Winnipeg. Bring back the Hartford Whalers!!!! I miss the Green and Blue Jerseys!!!!! :lol: Just kidding!!!

I know it said a team for the U.S. and a team from Canada., but if I had to pick, I would say Florida (because Florida doesn't need two hockey teams) and Phoenix. I couldn't choose any Canadian teams.

Edited by Wings_Rule_1010

If I could order off the board ... Chicago and St. Louis, two worst drawing teams in the League.

They're two Midwestern teams, one is O6, the other O12. One has won a few Cups, the other recently held the record for most current consecutive playoff appearances of the major four sports. So yeah, I think they should be drawing much better than the last two of the whole freaking League!

ehhhh... when you suck, people aren't going to be too intent on spending their time watching you do your thing. 'cos:

Past successes =/= present praise =( I think O6 teams likely would have an "untouchable" status though, so way to go systems of class hierarchy and discrimination! :hehe: If I could have my way though..

I'd nix Nash, wipe out Atlanta, fix a team in Seattle, and then add one back to the Canadian market. In an ideal world where that could financially balance itself, however.

Suddenly I just realized a new contender...

The New Jersey Devils

Really now, there is already a team in Manhattan and Long Island. Jersey is so friggin' close to both of these places, so do they really need a team? They have a very small fan base, and the team is perhaps the most snooze worthy team you could ever imagine. Seriously, I have to keep an alarm clock out when I watch them because they almost put me to sleep. Without Broduer, they would suck ass anyways. They just don't have hardly anything that pleases myself or many other hockey fans. This probably explains why they have hardly any fans.

Suddenly I just realized a new contender...

The New Jersey Devils

If we were pressed into icing any of the New York region squads, I think the Isles would have to bite it though. Sure, the Rangers and Devils are close by, and so are the Flyers... but I'd have to ask Mike Bossy to forgive me for killing his homeboys.

And also, teams are more than their temporal roster or contention-status: so I mean, a team sucking right now isn't enough. The Blackhawks could be nixed by that standard, but it'd be a really bad idea for their location and history. Jersey seems to fit.

Detroit and Toronto.

Truly, this is what the league needs.

HoH, you got the inside track down! Toronto hasn't won a Cup in eons: Detroit just sucked hard tonight and obviously is going to flop, as LGW prophets have proclaimed. They are perfect for the road of the dinosaur!

It is the secondary hash from your buddy's room, isn't it. I knew Bob sacrificed physical quality for religious visions.

FLA. There ain't enough market for TWO hockey teams in FLORIDA. Who made that retarded call, I will never know.

As for Canadian teams? Ottawa. They may play well sometimes, but they're completely faceless and emotionless to me. I'd rather watch golf than Ottawa playing.

There shold not be hockey teams where there is no ice in winter. All southern teams gone. Montreal. What have they done in the last 20 years, anyway? Give a team to Windsor. there's your International rivalry....right across the river for Gawd's sake.

I would 'eliminate' Nashville and Florida, and replace them with Houston, Kansas City, Portland/Seattle, and Milwaukee/Madison. Detroit and Columbus would move to the East, and we'd have four eight-team divisions.

Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

Atlantic: Atlanta, Carolina, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland/Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver

Central: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee/Madison, Minnesota, St. Louis

I would 'eliminate' Nashville and Florida, and replace them with Houston, Kansas City, Portland/Seattle, and Milwaukee/Madison. Detroit and Columbus would move to the East, and we'd have four eight-team divisions.

Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto

Atlantic: Atlanta, Carolina, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington

Pacific: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Portland/Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver

Central: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Milwaukee/Madison, Minnesota, St. Louis

I'm diggin' it. :thumbup:

That is one of the first reorginization ideas that I have seen that I really like.

Guest Tunbo Batman

scrap the preds, duh. 1 billion in public funds later, still unhappy? bye bye.

canadian teams? would anyone miss edmonton? really? outside that town i mean.

Ouch, no way jose. We already have a tough enough time catching a good game, we don't need the league watered down with another approval of "expansion". Where by expansion, I mean 'craptaculating the NHL'.

It does sound pretty cool on paper, and having D-town and Columbus in the East is stellar. But I'd be happy if we didn't see expansion for another fifteen years--let everything catch up, if it's even possible, and all. Reg. season games can be incredible sleepers.

Northeast: Boston, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Montreal, Ottawa,[/font] Pittsburgh, Toronto

I like this idea too as long as Milwaukee gets the team. I don't think Madison could support it.

My only minor complaint is that Chicago and Detroit wouldn't be in the same division.

I like this idea too as long as Milwaukee gets the team. I don't think Madison could support it.

My only minor complaint is that Chicago and Detroit wouldn't be in the same division.

I can think of one thing that would make hockey in Madison HUUUUUGE.

If the Madison team acquired former Badger Dany Heatley.

Plus, Madison has no other pro sports teams, while Milwaukee has two. It's like Columbus vs Cleveland, or San Jose vs Oakland.

You get the fan base of the city with existing teams (Madison is not terribly far from Milwaukee) while having a dedicated home city fan base that likely would much rather see an NHL game in town than drive an hour or so to catch the NBA.

As for Chicago...it's a sacrifice I'd be willing to make to lessen travel and get rivalry games back with the Leafs, Habs, etc.