• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Legionnaire11

LGW Fit Club

Rate this topic

My left calf feels tight as hell. Damn elliptical. :lol: Weight's fluttering between 196 and 198 right now. Better than 200+.

But I'm sticking with it. Probably gonna take Thursday as my break day, since I have a dentist appointment that evening.

Considering each of the four ellipticals in my gym will give you totally different calorie counts on an identical workout, I don't really pay too much attention to the exact count. Same with the two "good" Polaris incline treadmills. They aren't calibrated the same, or something.

Anyway, time on the machine is a better indicator, to me. JMO.

Not that anything is working all that well for me at the moment. Working as hard as I can, but nothing's changing. Oh, well.

You could always try the getting sick and not eating diet. That seems to work. I so want to get back to the gym, maybe I'll sign up for a class...at least that will be a start.

I have never been one of that group of people who lose weight when I am sick. I usually gain, if anything, but I am rarely ill so perhaps I am just not doing it right. Maybe it's genetic. My mother died of catastrophic cancer (pancreatic) and her biggest complaint - aside from losing her hair to chemo - was that she was still pudgy when she died. She used to say, "I am gonna die, you'd think that at least I would be thin once in my life." Nope. Sorry, Mom. :) It's been 30 years since she passed away, so I can laugh about it now.

Starting is a good place to start, Dawn. :P I think it's good to be accountable at some level. If you join a class, you're not obligated to go -- but, there will be others there who look forward to seeing you and miss you when you do not attend. It's motivating, and something to look forward to, seeing your new friends.

Sometimes when I leave my office after battling all day with work, I drive to the gym and think "if my trainer's car isn't there, I am going to just keep going and not work out." He's usually always there. Dammit! LOL~ Knowing that he would wonder where I am on days when I don't work out (rarely) - and worry about where I am, it's a motivation to show up. Once I am there, might as well work out, right?

Today was an off day, just played a little basketball for some cardio. Tomorrow is tear up the legs day :(

Off day no more, about 10-15 miles of skating around lakes and channels and a quick little game of pond hockey and im pretty tired. My legs day is going to be rough :lol:

Edited by cjm502

Just burned 854 calories on the elliptical. Think I'm gonna go puke now. :P

jeez, Edi... I did workout with trainer today... it was warm enough to go outside and run sprints and hills, then inside to do upper body work and glut/abs.

I looked like someone had turned a hose on me when I was done. :huh:

Been going back to Curves faithfully this week. Took last week off for holiday/vacation. Depending on my work schedule next week, they are starting Zumba classes at Curves. I'll be hitting up the 2 afternoon classes if I don't wind up having to work overnights next week.

I hopped on my Gazelle tonight for the first time in forever. Did almost 4 miles. 400 calories burned. May not sound like alot to some, but I'm such a slug when it comes to exercise! :D

We're going to a Bruins game in March and I bought the cutest little shirt to wear. I am DETERMINED that it will fit and I will be gorgeous in it. :P

I'm probably hitting the gym tonight, provided I haven't slid into a ditch on the way home...stupid snow. I had actually initially intended to make yesterday my off day, but I did that with Wednesday and went yesterday after the dentist. If I go today, I'll actually have hit the gym four out of the last five days, which is pretty good for me (usually only manage to go 3 times a week). I'm determined to get some of these extra pounds gone.

Quads

Leg Extensions - 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Dumbbell Squats - 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Leg Press - 3 sets: 12, 10, 8 reps

Hamstrings

Lying Leg Curls - 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Dumbbell Lunges - 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps (works both hams and quads)

Abs

Ab Crunch Machine - 4 sets: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

Crunches with exercise ball - 100 (sets of 25)

Played pond hockey for 3 hours straight today and surprisingly felt awesome. I have been working my legs a lot at the gym and can definitely tell a difference, I felt like Helm out there :cool:

I think the closest thing would be this. What are your lower body workouts looking like?

I do combos of leg curls (like the machine you posted), leg extensions on a machine like this one. I add one-legged presses on

this type of machine - we have a couple of them.

I mix in a lot of squat exercises, like, with a bar and weight on my shoulders. Sometimes we add kettlebell squats and lunges.

I do Calf raises, on a seated calf machine or sometimes I just do standing calf-raises, body weight.

The good ol' dead lifts and suitcase lifts with dumb-bells are a standby, too. My trainer is pretty creative. He comes up with leg work using cable machines that are just killer (good).

Like most women, most of my strength is in my lower body. I can press 210 with both legs on the leg press. Can't do anything near that with bench press, needless to say.

The glut-ham machine is great if for glutes and abs. If you have a strong lower back, the front extensions are about the best thing going. They are similar, back extensions on the hyper machine are harder than on the good old back extension like this one. But you can make the extensions harder on the 45 degree machine if you hold a plate against your chest.

Are we having fun yet? :P

Edited by puckloo39

Played pond hockey for 3 hours straight today and surprisingly felt awesome. I have been working my legs a lot at the gym and can definitely tell a difference, I felt like Helm out there :cool:

Good for you! Are your hands better than Helm's.. I hope?? :P

Good for you! Are your hands better than Helm's.. I hope?? :P

Thats the sad part, Helms hands would put mine to shame :unsure:

Also, for anyone trying to put on muscle protein supplements made a huge difference for me. My recovery time is unbelievable and I have been putting on a lot of lean muscle. For anyone serious about working out, once you start using supplements you might never go back whether its a protein complex, creatine, or nitric oxide.