• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Flames already talking smack

Rate this topic

I believe the wings will make a point of finishing checks against Regehr to see if his knee can hold up. I believe the Flames will likewise make a point of finishing checks against Lids, Hank, and Bert to see if they can stand up to the physical toll. It's not deliberate attempt to injure. It's not disrespect. It's exploiting an opportunity to try to gain an advantage. It happens in boxing, football, tennis, and countless other sports. The physical capacity of your opponnent is a legitimate point of contention.

Also, is it not okay to look at your opponent and point to things you hope to exploit? Do you think the Wings aren't reviewing game film, looking at trends, and watching for things to exploit? If they talk about possible weaknesses on the Flames is it talking trash? I may be wrong, but I think both teams are probably going to try to beat each other. Talking about how should be expected. Fans speculating along the same lines will probably happen too. Why are some people getting so bent out of shape about this?

Edited by BiffFromCP

Also, is it not okay to look at your opponent and point to things you hope to exploit? Do you think the Wings aren't reviewing game film, looking at trends, and watching for things to exploit? If they talk about possible weaknesses on the Flames is it talking trash? I may be wrong, but I think both teams are probably going to try to beat each other. Talking about how should be expected. Fans speculating along the same lines will probably happen too. Why are some people getting so bent out of shape about this?

viewing tapes and determining your opponent's weaknesses is one thing but when you tell your team to go out and knock a player to further his injury i believe thats wrong. You can simply state that regehr might be the weak side because of his knee, but youre not gonna tell your guys to go out and hip check him so he lands on his knee...theres a difference

I believe the wings will make a point of finishing checks against Regehr to see if his knee can hold up. I believe the Flames will likewise make a point of finishing checks against Lids, Hank, and Bert to see if they can stand up to the physical toll. It's not deliberate attempt to injure. It's not disrespect. It's exploiting an opportunity to try to gain an advantage. It happens in boxing, football, tennis, and countless other sports. The physical capacity of your opponnent is a legitimate point of contention.

possibly. but this is team's perspective. do I, as a hockey fan, have to like it? do I have to root for my team to do damage to the other in order to win?

the answer is: no, I'm not. I want to see my team beat Flames with skill, teamwork and heart rather than go with s*** like knee-hunting etc.

yes, I understand the role of such play in hockey and I sure can see the logic behind that. but I don't feel like I wanted to cheer for this. which is the difference here, I guess. I am not gonna be rooting for old-man Chelli or anyone to go for Regehr. in my definition of being a hockey fan there is 99% of place for rooting for my team, and 1% for being against the other team. simple like that

possibly because we rather prefer skillful quality hockey not crappy fouling and banging. and we are fortunate to enjoy Red Wings team actually having skill and not being a bunch of goons. and which already 3 Cups not being a gang of bashers.

that's the difference here. that Wings fans got the chance and enjoyed quality hockey with skill and want to see this rather than pure banging.

viewing tapes and determining your opponent's weaknesses is one thing but when you tell your team to go out and knock a player to further his injury i believe thats wrong. You can simply state that regehr might be the weak side because of his knee, but youre not gonna tell your guys to go out and hip check him so he lands on his knee...theres a difference

Absolutely true....and there's a fine line of distinction between the two. A line which, sometimes, even coaches and players may cross. However, I am pretty confident that 29 other NHL teams, when looking at facing the Detroit Wings as things stand today, would absolutely be talking about playing especially phsyical against Lids, Hank and especially Bert. They would be talking about trying to distract / disturb Dom. To do less would be to under-prepare and forfeit important advantages.

Someone started a very good thread on CalgaryPuck with the premise that since CP knows the Flames as well as anybody, how would we suggest the Flames can be beaten. Absolutely in the list was seeing if Regehr's knee can withstand the punishment.

I believe the wings will make a point of finishing checks against Regehr to see if his knee can hold up. I believe the Flames will likewise make a point of finishing checks against Lids, Hank, and Bert to see if they can stand up to the physical toll. It's not deliberate attempt to injure.

Yeah, but there's the big line drawn between keeping on a guy, then taking a calculated shot at a part of his anatomy. Someone doing a low hip-check on Regehr would be as disgusting as another guy cross-checking Hank in the back.

If it happens, I expect the spirit of Shanahan to infuse any seemingly random, but surely divinely pre-ordained Wing player to go seek retribution on the offending party. There ain't a place for that in this game.

Absolutely true....and there's a fine line of distinction between the two. A line which, sometimes, even coaches and players may cross. However, I am pretty confident that 29 other NHL teams, when looking at facing the Detroit Wings as things stand today, would absolutely be talking about playing especially phsyical against Lids, Hank and especially Bert. They would be talking about trying to distract / disturb Dom. To do less would be to under-prepare and forfeit important advantages.

Someone started a very good thread on CalgaryPuck with the premise that since CP knows the Flames as well as anybody, how would we suggest the Flames can be beaten. Absolutely in the list was seeing if Regehr's knee can withstand the punishment.

I agree, and I think the line is even thinner in hockey because of the physicalness of the game itself. There is no question in my mind that anyone with an injury in hockey will always be put to the test due to how physical the game is compared to the likes of baseball or soccer, but that line still stands and I think for the quality and classiness of a team and its coaching staff, they should try their best to stay on the right side of that line.

Sounds like some of you are taking that quote out of the context the reporter took it. But yeh, if not, hey Huselius, that's the idea, piss Dom off, you'll most definitely throw him off his game. What is he, retarded?

Yeah, but there's the big line drawn between keeping on a guy, then taking a calculated shot at a part of his anatomy.

THAT'S playoff hockey. And the unspoken truth. It's part of the reason the spotlight is HUGE on Pavel this series. The ice shrinks, the checking gets tighter and it's take no prisoners. Us die-hards wouldn't have it any other way.

All this talk about injuries and injuring is abd , reminds me of the time Pronger tried to hit Yzerman in 02 and took himself out for the playoffs

:lol: I know. F Pronger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From the look of this, we don't have to worry too much about physicality:

IPB Image

LOL! This reminds me of the part in Indiana Jones where the guy is waving his swords all over the place and Indy just pulls out a gun and shoots him.

From the look of this, we don't have to worry too much about physicality:

IPB Image

LOL!

LOL I remember seeing that somewhere before. Who is that???!!!

LOL I remember seeing that somewhere before. Who is that???!!!

It was Ruutu from the Canucks who, like Avery, talks a big game but when confronted ALWAYS turtles. He and Dion were mixing it up a bit. When Phaneuf went to drop the gloves, Ruutu hooked him behind the knee, gave a tug and Phaneuf went down like a sack of spuds. Canuck fans delighted in this clip and many used it as their Avatar. Phaneuf went on to a Calder nomination, generational rookie Defenceman stats, and a league-wide reputation as possibly the hardest and most consistent big hitter since Scott Stevens in his prime....but it probably does show that the Flames aren't really very physical.

....but it probably does show that the Flames aren't really very physical.

I disagree. I think it shows that Ruutu was a pansy and hooked instead of dropping the gloves. No reflection on Calgary. I was insinuating this is all anyone would have to do to circumvent the physicality.

I disagree. I think it shows that Ruutu was a pansy and hooked instead of dropping the gloves. No reflection on Calgary. I was insinuating this is all anyone would have to do to circumvent the physicality.

Gotcha. It always struck me as funny how proud of this 'Nucks fans were. Since Detroit hasn't had the pleasure of meeting Canucks and their fans in a playoff context before, it's a bit like the worst parts of Edmonton, Toronto and Calgary all rolled into one. Nasty.

It was Ruutu from the Canucks who, like Avery, talks a big game but when confronted ALWAYS turtles. He and Dion were mixing it up a bit. When Phaneuf went to drop the gloves, Ruutu hooked him behind the knee, gave a tug and Phaneuf went down like a sack of spuds. Canuck fans delighted in this clip and many used it as their Avatar. Phaneuf went on to a Calder nomination, generational rookie Defenceman stats, and a league-wide reputation as possibly the hardest and most consistent big hitter since Scott Stevens in his prime....but it probably does show that the Flames aren't really very physical.

I've always found that clip funny, even though the players were a mystery to me. It's awesome!

But it never hit the laugh-o-meter as stellarly as Cheli's awe-making go-'round on the ice in Vancouver. I swear, that clilp is hilarious. And here it is again, from norrisnick:

Honestly, I don't blame them for their smack talk. We have a lot to prove this year. We got our ass' handed to us by them in '04, and didn't exactly do much against Edmonton last year.

Finally,someone who isn't wearing homer glasses.

yeah im already tired of play-off trash talk.

it just surprises me how they think the Wings record is better than the team cause the Wings beat columbus, and chicago, and st. louis etc..

somehow that's the Red Wings fault those teams arent very good..

it's okay tho,

i hope the Wings annhilate the flames, more so after seeing all the crap and disrespect the flames goons and fans are dishing out.

I wouldn't use either ST. Louis or Columbus as an example if I were a Flames fan. They were 0-3-1 against STL and 2-2 against the CBJ.

By contrast, Detroit was 5-3 against the CBJ and but only 2-5-1 against STL.

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80