• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
T@T

Jeremy Roenick's take on the series

Rate this topic

I don't think JR was ever really criticizing Dom. He said that he was one of his favourite goalies, after all. He was simply pointing out what is true of all tenders: its a good strategy to get in their face. Especially more so with Dom: Not only is he tough to beat otherwise, but -- whether or not he did it versus Iggy before -- he would dive or do anything else he thought necessary in order to help the team.

And I don't really think that anyone here is criticizing Dom either. He is simply unpredictable and intense -- and in playoff time its already plenty unpredictable and intense.

Should be fun to watch!!

Most importantly, let's not discount anything JR said, considering his prediction of Wings in 5.

Edited by larionov_8

And whoever said Roenick signed with Philly because they have better goaltending is a lie. The Wings offered him around 8.5 million to sign here. The Flyers nearly doubled that with an 11.5 million dollar offer.

:hehe:

zaxx, I don't know how to upload or transfer the clip from my DVR, sorry. I saw what I saw. Analysts can say whatever they want. I always suspect the media, they have their own agenda. It doesn't mean they are correct, it just means they have a public forum to say whatever they want, and it becomes fact. If you wanted to go to the trouble and the articles are still online, Babs came out later on and said the media twisted what he said, and only took the comment on Dom as the reason for the loss. He apparently said other things, but all they focused on was his comment about Dom. Typical.

I am glad to know you support Dom. Thanks!

puckloo39

I understand that Babcock was upset that the media made it sound like he was placing the blame for the loss on Dom when in fact it is a team game and they made many mistakes. You win as a team and you lose as a team. However Babcock did not come out and say that he was misquoted and felt that Dom did not take a dive. His quote in reference to Dom was:

"It wasn't interference at all. Our goalie tried to draw the penalty and he dove and they shot it in the net," Babcock said. "The bottom line is embellishment is something that happens in our games, probably too much, and when you try and draw a penalty and they shoot it in our net, it's a tough one."

So it does not matter that the media stretched this into Babcock blaming Hasek for the loss, in fact the only thing that matters is that Hasek took a dive and we got scored on. If it happens in the playoffs we are in trouble. However Dom is a pro who will rise to the challenge of the playoffs and this crap will not happen.

On that note I imagine that last years playoffs were horrible for Hasek, he had to sit and watch his best time of the year from the sidelines with a groin injury. Anyone who suggests that he will not be on his game is crazy. He has had 2 long years of waiting to get back here and he knows this may be his last. He is going to go at it 100% and he will perform above even his best levels. People forget that absence makes the heart grow fonder, Dom lives for competition (has to or he would not still be in the league) and he will be on his game.

To go 2 years without playing in the post season for a guy who loves the competitive play, wow. This is going to be a Hasek domination. (you can quote me on that) The dominator will be in full force. He will get knocked around by Calgary but it will be the competitive, focused dominator that we all love who prevails.

I think its funny that the Flames are talking about this recent win so much.

1) They were playing at home

2) They were in desperate need of a win with Colorado hot on their trail

3) Detroit had a decimated lineup at this point

4) They won by ONE goal, which wouldnt have even happened had Dom stayed on his feet.

Thats not an impressive win by any means, especially considering they were very physical in that game and it didnt get them very far. In fact, I seem to recall Dom stoning them many a time in the first period of that game.

Babcock made a smart move. He called Dom out on his dive - something I doubt a head coach of DOM's has ever done, especially to the media. Since then, Dom has not been as flagrant in net and he knows hes on a short leash because of it. If ANYTHING, its advantage DETROIT that Hasek took a dive against the FLAMES and it keeps on being brought up. Way to fuel an already competitive guy's fire.

4) They won by ONE goal, which wouldnt have even happened had Dom stayed on his feet.

Thats not an impressive win by any means, especially considering they were very physical in that game and it didnt get them very far. In fact, I seem to recall Dom stoning them many a time in the first period of that game.

Babcock made a smart move. He called Dom out on his dive - something I doubt a head coach of DOM's has ever done, especially to the media. Since then, Dom has not been as flagrant in net and he knows hes on a short leash because of it. If ANYTHING, its advantage DETROIT that Hasek took a dive against the FLAMES and it keeps on being brought up. Way to fuel an already competitive guy's fire.

well said young :clap:

puckloo39

I understand that Babcock was upset that the media made it sound like he was placing the blame for the loss on Dom when in fact it is a team game and they made many mistakes. You win as a team and you lose as a team. However Babcock did not come out and say that he was misquoted and felt that Dom did not take a dive. His quote in reference to Dom was:

"It wasn't interference at all. Our goalie tried to draw the penalty and he dove and they shot it in the net," Babcock said. "The bottom line is embellishment is something that happens in our games, probably too much, and when you try and draw a penalty and they shoot it in our net, it's a tough one."

So it does not matter that the media stretched this into Babcock blaming Hasek for the loss, in fact the only thing that matters is that Hasek took a dive and we got scored on. If it happens in the playoffs we are in trouble. However Dom is a pro who will rise to the challenge of the playoffs and this crap will not happen.

On that note I imagine that last years playoffs were horrible for Hasek, he had to sit and watch his best time of the year from the sidelines with a groin injury. Anyone who suggests that he will not be on his game is crazy. He has had 2 long years of waiting to get back here and he knows this may be his last. He is going to go at it 100% and he will perform above even his best levels. People forget that absence makes the heart grow fonder, Dom lives for competition (has to or he would not still be in the league) and he will be on his game.

To go 2 years without playing in the post season for a guy who loves the competitive play, wow. This is going to be a Hasek domination. (you can quote me on that) The dominator will be in full force. He will get knocked around by Calgary but it will be the competitive, focused dominator that we all love who prevails.

OK, zaxx, you win. I officially love you for what you just said. You do understand my goalie, don't you? Sorry. :blush:

Go, WIngs!!!

And whoever said Roenick signed with Philly because they have better goaltending is a lie. The Wings offered him around 8.5 million to sign here. The Flyers nearly doubled that with an 11.5 million dollar offer. Now, if you were a hockey player, which offer would you have taken? Yeah, I thought so.

You are incorrect, at least in terms of the contract Roenick signed with Philadelphia.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/10/19/roenick011019.html

He signed a 5 year contract with the Flyers for 37.5 million dollars. That averages out to roughly 7 million each season, NOT 11.5 million dollars a season.

Also, here is an article regarding Roenick and the Wings goaltending back in 2001 (days before the Wings traded for Hasek):

http://web.archive.org/web/20020616040446/...k4_20011004.htm

"Later in the summer, Osgood was, according to a team source, the reason coveted free agent Jeremy Roenick turned down the Wings' offer".

I wasn't using this as an excuse to bash Osgood either, I was simply stating what I rememberd hearing about Roenick at the time.

Edited by DVDplayer

OK, zaxx, you win. I officially love you for what you just said. You do understand my goalie, don't you? Sorry. :blush:

Go, WIngs!!!

Hey thanks, this little back and forth was fun! I enjoyed it. :)

I will see you on here all through the playoffs and when Hasek raises the cup we can take solice in the fact that we predicted his success.

Go, Wings!!

You are incorrect, at least in terms of the contract Roenick signed with Philadelphia.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/10/19/roenick011019.html

He signed a 5 year contract with the Flyers for 37.5 million dollars. That averages out to roughly 7 million each season, NOT 11.5 million dollars a season.

Sorry about that then. I could have swore I seen that he signed for 11 million somewhere.

:hehe:

You bastard! Remove that from your sig! jk :P

Guest tangstoiggy

:clap: Good One

I really question how anyone can be concerned that Hasek won't rise to the occasion, and play well when it counts the most.

:clap: This should be all that needs to be said about it. Anyone remember the last time we brought Dom to the playoffs with us?

And like Roenick has any room to talk about someone getting thrown off their game. Dude's taken more than a few dumb retaliation penalties in his time.

Meh... who cares if Hasek was touched or not in that game. Even if it was just a slight embellishment; it was timed badly enough to give the Flames the win. We don't have Niemenen to run goaltenders anymore so I doubt we'll see him get run over but I'd be shocked if we didn't see Hasek try to draw at least a penalty or two this series. We may not like it, but it's part of the game. Watch Huselius, he'll do the same.

I gotta disagree with JR about how easy it is to knock Hasek off his game. I think it can be done but Hasek isn't as easily rattled as he was early in his career. I'll be interested to see how he handles Moss in his face on the PP.

Meh... who cares if Hasek was touched or not in that game. Even if it was just a slight embellishment; it was timed badly enough to give the Flames the win. We don't have Niemenen to run goaltenders anymore so I doubt we'll see him get run over but I'd be shocked if we didn't see Hasek try to draw at least a penalty or two this series. We may not like it, but it's part of the game. Watch Huselius, he'll do the same.

I gotta disagree with JR about how easy it is to knock Hasek off his game. I think it can be done but Hasek isn't as easily rattled as he was early in his career. I'll be interested to see how he handles Moss in his face on the PP.

Who is Moss? :huh: Never heard of him. Minor leaguer? Must not score many goals if he hasn't been mentioned on this board.

Anyway... He'll probably handle him with Lidstrom. :sly:

As for a game plan, I hope the Wings ... don't spend their entire time slinging soft perimeter shots at him

Ugh! The memories of all those shots from the side boards the last 3 years. I lost my voice a few times screaming "GO TO THE F'N NET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :crazy::crazy: It better not be a repeat this year. Edited by motorcitykid

Who is Moss? :huh: Never heard of him. Minor leaguer? Must not score many goals if he hasn't been mentioned on this board.

Anyway... He'll probably handle him with Lidstrom. :sly:

Dave Moss will be the guy Hasek is constantly trying to see past.

And if Lidstrom is spending his time worrying about Moss then this will be a very short series ;)

And if Lidstrom is spending his time worrying about Moss then this will be a very short series ;)

Yes, I see your point. Let Markov do it. :P

Anyway, I'm sure Dom doesn't really care who is in front of him. Never has bothered him before. He is typically very good at stopping screened shots. Deflected shots and rebounds are his problem.

Good luck to Kipper trying to see anything around Homer's big red butt, or Franzen's, or Calder's... :lol:

Dom has handled far worse in his career than whoever Moss is. No goalie can see past a good screen, so it's up to the Wings to keep the lanes and sight lines clear for the goalie.

Does this moss have large calves or huge feet? because after Hasek goes down his vision is ice level... those with upper body masses don't phase him ;)

I have no doubt in my mind that Dom will step up for the playoffs. As Puckloo said earilier, we need to worry more about the offense. The 2003 playoffs was a disaster, it wasn't because out goalie at the time Curtis Joseph didn't show up, its because nobody else did. The wings didn't score any goals, Cujo was great though.

Also, I don't think I would bash Roenick. I don't think that he was putting Hasek down at all, he was just making a statement. Thats just how he is, don't get your panties in a bunch. It doesn't really matter what anyone thinks, lets just watch the playoffs and hope for a win.