• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Packer487

Why shouldn't I dread this series vs. Anaheim?

Rate this topic

Looking around the web, it looks like Sharks fans and the odd Flames fan are Wings fans' only friends right now; everyone and his mom is picking the Ducks in 6 or 7.

Taking this series is going to be oh-so-sweet. :D

Can I use your crystal ball?

Reasons not to dread:

Our top line is getting HOT at the right time.

Bertuzzi

Hasek has been phenomenal and is getting better every game

All four lines are rolling and contributing

The Wings are TOUGH. Literally. They won't take crap from anyone and they proved it.

Ducks haven't faced any adversity at all..and imo that is not a good thing.

Babs>Carlyle *IMO* Who's the better coach.

Their building is NOT intimidating in any way to play in.

Payback for 2003.

Looking around the web, it looks like Sharks fans and the odd Flames fan are Wings fans' only friends right now; everyone and his mom is picking the Ducks in 6 or 7.

Taking this series is going to be oh-so-sweet. :D

Definitely never underestimate the power of underdog status. I smirk when I hear everyone calling it a slam dunk for the Ducks. Been there! Deja vu all over again. This series will be interesting, to say the least. :D

The reason not to dread this series... They are the Ducks.... and a simple observation:

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

Get used to this!

IPB Image

disney.com.com

and you do likewise :)

IPB Image

Here to hoping we kill the MIGHTY foul!

Edited by OsGOD

Guest GordieSid&Ted

1- Pronger has only once in his whole career gave the Wings trouble. And Niedermayer hasn't done anything against us since 1995. Very good D but c'mon, lets not make them something their not.

2- You need to recheck the stats.....there is a Detroit Goalie that is tops in numbers too. Again, very good goalie, but he is not the Dominator.

3&4 - The Wild and the Canaucks are good teams to pad your stats against. You can bet that if the Wings played those teams that our stats would look far much better then they do now. The Wings are more than ready to take on the Ducks. If you think the Ducks are a better team then the Sharks then maybe it is you that is living a dream....or trying to make up a nightmare. Anything could happen but if things keep going the way they are and have been..........Wings in 5. GO WINGS

Greetings redwingsrule07 and welcome to the planet Earth. I hope your stay here is enjoyable. Man, I so do love it when somebody takes offense to another poster pointing out some strengths of the opposition. Pointing out strong suits of your opponent doesn't mean you're knocking your own team, so maybe get a grip. And while you're getting that grip, let me give you some clues.

1. "Pronger has only once in his whole career gave the Wings trouble". Yeah, with Edmonton and how'd that work out for the Wings? The point is not what Pronger may do or what Niedermayer may do, its that they're now both on the same team....duh. "Very good D but c'mon, lets not make them something their not"????????? What exactly am I trying to make them then, oh, besides Norris Trophy winners and finalists again this year????

2. As for goalie stats, this is yet another instance where somebody thinks i'm bagging on Hasek because i'm saying that Giguere is having a great playoffs. WTF, everytime somebody wants to say something good about another team's player to we have to preface that statement by saying something good about a Wings player just so nobody gets offended?

And by the way, Giguere is 1st in goals and 1st in save percentage. Now again, not bagging on Hasek, just pointing out that Giggy is playing great hockey. Its not a comparison of the 2, get that through your little, insecure brain.

3. "The Wild and the Canucks are good teams to pad your stats against" Once again its blatantly false, idiotic comments like this that make me wonder which solar system you flew in from.

FYI- The Wild were #1 in the NHL in fewest goals allowed per game this season. Vancouver happened to be #5. Maybe you looked at the stats backwards and thought that meant Vancouver was 25 and Minnesota was 30th??? D'oh!

As for Which team is better, the Sharks or the Ducks. The teams were very close statistically all season. The only thing that really separates them is the fact that the Ducks won the season series 5 games to 3 so take that for what its worth. Sorry, but I just don't buy the Sharks being better than the Ducks when the Ducks beat them regularly. I know call me crazy.

None of what i'm saying is an indictment of the Wings by any means. I think we're playing great hockey except for Calder and Bertuzzi. Although Bert is showing signs of life. So far Quincey has done an admirable job and the D is playing very stingy but IMO, we're now facing the most potent offense and at a time when its really clicking for the Ducks. It's going to be a tough series and IMO, even if we lose it we've had a remarkable season and should hang our heads high. But its far too early for that, we can win this thing but it's not going to be easy is all i'm saying.

The reason not to dread this series... They are the Ducks.... and a simple observation:

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

I for sure think the wings can pull it out, but I don't think it is that simple... it is all about matchups.

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

Ok, the Ducks have a better goalie than the Sharks and they also beat the Sharks more often than not when playing each other...so how are the Sharks>Ducks? I don't get it.

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

Ah, the power of the transitive property. Need not apply to hockey, I'm afraid.

Especially when your base assumption, Sharks > Ducks, seems a bit off to me...

:lol: You people thought I was being serious? Come on? Duck in 5 People... Obviously!

Plus I was going by the simple fact that "IF" the NHL didn't award a stupid point for losing in OT the Ducks wouldn't have even came close to touching the sharks in the standings. 14OTL (free Points) to the Ducks...

Edited by OsGOD

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

That claim is highly debatable.

San Jose lost the season series against Anaheim.

Anaheim is a much faster team than San Jose.

Anaheim has a far more substantial presence on the blue line.

Anaheim has much better leadership than San Jose.

I wont say Anaheim has better goaltending, though I do believe they do.

Edited by Sojourn

That claim is highly debatable.

San Jose lost the season series against Anaheim.

Anaheim is a much faster team than San Jose.

Anaheim has a far more substantial presence on the blue line.

Anaheim has much better leadership than San Jose.

I wont say Anaheim has better goaltending, though I do believe they do.

:lol:

Once again, every who thought that was a serious breakdown... Everyone knows it's Ducks in 5...

San Jose beat us in our season series... They are golfing... We are still playing.... Regular season doesn't mean squat to the playoffs outside of seeding.

Wings are gods gift to hockey... We rule all that is my final answer and I am sticking to it.... What is why you shouldn't dread this series... The Wings are on a mission for God... The ducks are nothing more than Might Foul.

Anyways, said team is "bigger, stronger, faster, younger" heard it all before and all those saying it are now trying to decide if a wedge or 4-iron is the correct club.

GO WINGS!

Wings > Mighty Foul

Ah, the power of the transitive property. Need not apply to hockey, I'm afraid.

Especially when your base assumption, Sharks > Ducks, seems a bit off to me...

:lol: Exactly which is why reading all these replies about why my outlandish statements don't work are quite humorous. Anyways... Sharks > Ducks could be correct... if not for the NHL giving the Ducks 14 free points for losing, they would be seeded lower than the Ducks.

Ok, the Ducks have a better goalie than the Sharks and they also beat the Sharks more often than not when playing each other...so how are the Sharks>Ducks? I don't get it.

:lol:

Calgary and us tied our series 2-2 and we are here they are golfing ;)

San Jose beat us 3-1 and now they are golfing and we are here.

Regular season matchups means NOTHING in regards to the post season (other than seeding).

But still... My original post was so obviously tongue and Cheek... who would ever think that a mathematical equation could produce the winner of a series where any given team can win on any given night. However, I do appreciate the funny rebutles to my outlandish statement

Wings > Mighty foul... case closed, why? just because they are!

Edited by OsGOD

Guys:

It has been a whole 2 minutes since the wings won the series that a week ago people were writing off. Now 2 minutes after them coming through, you are already talking about being worried? I dont get the negativity...lets celebrate the win and have some confidence in the team that beat a great SJ team pretty handily tonight!!

Go wings!!!

I think this whole thread was posted as a superstition because it was posted before Round 2 and the Wings beat the Sharks.

GO WINGS!!!

Couple of problems:

1. Pronger and Niedermayer will be out there probably 80% of the time. No team has had 2 studs like that together for decades. Imagine having 2 Lidstrom's. It will be a factor and its foolish to think otherwise. Plus, they are contributing offensively, which is bad news for opponents.

2. Giguere is playing lights out hockey. Isn't he leading the league in most goalie stats? I dunno, just thought I noticed that.

He also beat us once before. That's a big boost to one's mental state of mind.

3. Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Kunitz, all their young guys are contributing. They're showing no signs of being young and timid.

4. Their D has scored 7 goals in 10 games.

#1 - definitely Anaheim's strength.

#2 - a moot point. That was 4 long years ago and doesn't hold weight today. I don't think Giguere is thinking "I beat 'em back in '03".

#3 - Youth doesn't matter here cause those guys are the ones they expect their goals from anyways. They total 22 points. Pavel, Hank & Zata's line alone has 23 points.

#4 - They have 7 goals from their defense, we have 6.

Anaheim has not faced anyone of Detroit's skill set, no-one who can outright frustrate you with their puck possesion. Watch the Minny series? The Wild never even showed up. Up and down their roster they were a complete disaster. With Vancouver, aside from Luongo, Anaheim didn't have much to worry about from that horrible anemic offense.

What I see, if anything, becoming our downfall is the injuries we are now carrying and slow starts which can snowball. Detroit has to play from the puck drop, and go hard to the net against a goalie who doesn't like that type of pressure ala Tomas Holmstrom.

Make no mistake, the previous 2 series were no cakewalk as you seem to imply. Anaheim is good but, aside from being pretty healthy, are not head and shoulders above the 2 teams we've already beaten. I like our chances.

Plus I was going by the simple fact that "IF" the NHL didn't award a stupid point for losing in OT the Ducks wouldn't have even came close to touching the sharks in the standings. 14OTL (free Points) to the Ducks...

And they talk about Detroit's inflated stats. :blink:

Sharks > Ducks

Wings > Sharks

Therefore:

Wings > Ducks

what kind of oberservation is sharks>ducks??? what facts are u reading??

what kind of oberservation is sharks>ducks??? what facts are u reading??

I differ you to Post #67... and I :lol: at your response... Why do you say other wise?

Take away your "free" points for LOSING games and the Sharks are better than you. And don't start with the we dominated the sharks in the regular season logic... 'cause going by that the Sharks are better than the Wings.... and we all know who is Teeing off in about 25mins or so.

Edited by OsGOD

I differ you to Post #67... and I :lol: at your response... Why do you say other wise?

Take away your "free" points for LOSING games and the Sharks are better than you. And don't start with the we dominated the sharks in the regular season logic... 'cause going by that the Sharks are better than the Wings.... and we all know who is Teeing off in about 25mins or so.

If your post was so tongue in cheek then why are you defending it so much?

I think that Anaheim is a better team than the Sharks. You disagree. That's fine. You are allowed to be wrong.

If your post was so tongue in cheek then why are you defending it so much?

I think that Anaheim is a better team than the Sharks. You disagree. That's fine. You are allowed to be wrong.

Because I really don't care and it's fun to defend it.

Wings >> Ducks (by a long shot) :D regardless of how you get there... that is the final outcome.