• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ttbrunke

Giguere or Michelin Man you Decide

Rate this topic

Goalie pads are 11" wide but they DO have a max height of 38". Goalies "cheat" by making the toe the minimum length and putting the added height on the rise...some compensate further by putting foam blocks on top of their skate, raising the leg pad even higher. Honestly, the WIDTH change has done nothing and possibly made keepers even better than they were. The height thing has a small effect. Jiggy's still looking big, but you really can't compare him to a guy like Brodeur who wears a chest pad modeled from the early 90's and minimal padding on the arms. If you think Nabokov has a big chest pad, he wears the exact same one as Hasek so you might as well include him, too. The reason Nabby's looks a little big is he doesn't clip it at the waist so it rides up. Hasek has the waist on his cut a little shorter and tucks it in also making it a look smaller. Basically, goalies are wearing NHL approved equipment and players are going to score goals no matter what size of equipment they are wearing...there is a standard in order to regulate fairness, so there's really no way to say Giguere is being anything less than fair.

This is not a good argument...military equipment is developed with different agenda than goaltender equipment...I have a feeling the pricepoint would also be prohibitive. In addition, you have to allow a certain degree of "blocking privelege" for the goaltender, lest the scores in games be 20-18 and the defensive play gets even more furious. Also, they do limit chest pads--they have to fit the person wearing it and their are regulations that limit the layering as well as the height of the shoulder wings. People complaining have just forgotten how much bigger they USED to be.

And any goalie that believes a couple inches of equipment makes much difference has a problem that isn't his equipment.

Great post! :clap:

If anyone was wondering whether goalies should start wearing Dragon SKin as suggested, defensetech.com reports the price for a set as $5000.00 (I assume USD). I can't see goalies below millionaire level wanting to shell out this sort of money for chest and arm protection. The armor covers the chest, groin, and shoulders. It would likely cost more if it were outfitted to include arms (who knows if it could even be developed to move with the arms?). Just FYI.

Edit: Any more tinkering is just going to further ruin the game of hockey, but I have to agree that making equipment still smaller and screwing amateur goalies who now have to buy a new set of pads (pads widen as they are used) every year to conform to new NHL rules is better for the game than changing the nets, which WILL destroy the position of goaltending.

Edited by shadow47

Giguere is a very good goaltender.

Yes he's a big guy who uses gigantic equipment, but it's legal. And he's not the only one doing it.

Before the NHL considers increasing the net size by even a millimeter, they need to do a better job at restricting goaltender equipment.

Doesn't seem any more out of line than Luongo's pads, but I don't hear anyone complaining about him.

I don't remember him being that bald last time. Maybe its brought down his confidence? :blink:

Before the NHL considers increasing the net size by even a millimeter, they need to do a better job at restricting goaltender equipment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like the whole world of hockey has taken a crazy pill when it comes to this subject. You look at the goalie equipment today and tell me that's all necessary to "protect" the goalie? Come on. Al Iafrate was firing slapshots at 105 mph 15 years ago, and goalies were half the size then that they are now. It's a complete exaggeration to pretend that these guys need pads that gigantic.

Forget about the nets. Just make the equipment reasonable and goal scoring will go up. It's beyond ridiculous.

I am a goalie, so I can tell by looking at the pads, plus I've seen all of Jiggy's pads right before a game. They're all legal. 11" wide, and probably only 36"-37" tall. His chest pad is perfectly legal, as is his blocker and glove. And someone said they're 'Barely Legal.' Legal is legal. Also, take into account that Jiggy uses WHITE equipment, in comparison to 90% of other NHL goalies. He uses them because it makes him LOOK bigger. As a girl, I know that white tends to make you look larger, especially when your standing in front of a white background.

Also, you have to take into account the type of game they play. Brodeur is a stand up goalie, so he wears way less padding so that he can flail around easier. Jiggy wears more padding so that he can take up more of the net with his body, due to his butterfly style, but they're both legal. And if you're going to tell me that he doesn't need as much padding as he's wearing, even if it is legal, why don't YOU get in front of a frozen piece of vulcanized rubber flying at car speeds with little padding and tell me how it feels?

Jiggy isn't a small dude either. 6'1" 201 lbs. That's big enough. In fact, he has to be bigger than that. I have a picture with him and he makes me look pretty small, and I'm 5'8". It's all about how the pads look. Thats why they have pretty designs ;)

I don't remember him being that bald last time. Maybe its brought down his confidence? :blink:

Wearing a goalie helmet for so long and sweating underneath it that much can make you lose your hair. I just hope wearing a bandana saves mine :blink:

Guest Crymson

not this again...blame the pads for the reason he blocks shots...same thing canuck fans did...are u gonna start blaming the refs to?

I fail to see how the refs could relate to this. Try again.

Guest Crymson

I am a goalie, so I can tell by looking at the pads, plus I've seen all of Jiggy's pads right before a game. They're all legal. 11" wide, and probably only 36"-37" tall. His chest pad is perfectly legal, as is his blocker and glove. And someone said they're 'Barely Legal.' Legal is legal. Also, take into account that Jiggy uses WHITE equipment, in comparison to 90% of other NHL goalies. He uses them because it makes him LOOK bigger. As a girl, I know that white tends to make you look larger, especially when your standing in front of a white background.

Also, you have to take into account the type of game they play. Brodeur is a stand up goalie, so he wears way less padding so that he can flail around easier. Jiggy wears more padding so that he can take up more of the net with his body, due to his butterfly style, but they're both legal. And if you're going to tell me that he doesn't need as much padding as he's wearing, even if it is legal, why don't YOU get in front of a frozen piece of vulcanized rubber flying at car speeds with little padding and tell me how it feels?

Jiggy isn't a small dude either. 6'1" 201 lbs. That's big enough. In fact, he has to be bigger than that. I have a picture with him and he makes me look pretty small, and I'm 5'8". It's all about how the pads look. Thats why they have pretty designs ;)

Wearing a goalie helmet for so long and sweating underneath it that much can make you lose your hair. I just hope wearing a bandana saves mine :blink:

Find me somebody to tell me this who isn't a Ducks fan--with a J.S. Giguere avatar to boot--and then I might believe it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like the whole world of hockey has taken a crazy pill when it comes to this subject. You look at the goalie equipment today and tell me that's all necessary to "protect" the goalie? Come on. Al Iafrate was firing slapshots at 105 mph 15 years ago, and goalies were half the size then that they are now. It's a complete exaggeration to pretend that these guys need pads that gigantic.

Forget about the nets. Just make the equipment reasonable and goal scoring will go up. It's beyond ridiculous.

exactly.

they should make them wear old leather equipment with no water repellent covering. See how big they want those pads when they soak up 20 pounds of water.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

Giggy is a soild goalie guys, he has been shaky aganist the canucks. His equipment is legal he is just a huge guyi play goalie and im 6'7 285 pounds and i look like the Michelin Man and i buy the smallest cheapest equipment!!!

I always ask about the HUGE rash of incidents involving goalkeeps dropping like flies, and missing games and seasons, and breaking bones due to getting the same 100yrold puck shot at them. When did this happen? I missed that point in NHL history - because it never happened.

Yet somehow now, guys like Giguere need to show up to the games 3 hrs early to begin inflating themselves. (Ilitch would spring for a compressor I'm sure - Wings run a class organization.)

your point? maybe he feels more comfortable in bigger pads...

My point is how good was he then and how "good" is he now?

The pads have added to some of his success, although very little in my opinion. But he is still a very good goalie, one which I would love to have on my team any time.

Guest Crymson

im just saying canucks were saying the same thing on their boards about giggy and i was saying whats next gonna blame the refs to?

No. Only this. Stop trying to deflect attention.

your point? maybe he feels more comfortable in bigger pads...

That's pretty funny. Could you possibly be any more homerish?

Find me somebody to tell me this who isn't a Ducks fan--with a J.S. Giguere avatar to boot--and then I might believe it.

Jiggy is my hero and the reason why I play hockey. The fact that I'm a Ducks fan and have a Giguere avatar shouldn't have that much of an effect.

Were his pads in '03 big? Yes. Illegal? No. Because the rules were different. His pads aren't illegal. I've seen them myself. I'm not a homer, especially when it comes to these types of things. While I will defend Jiggy, I wont make stupid comments. It's called color schemes and the designs on the pads are meant to distract players when they come down on the goalie. I could show you pictures of me in my gear and it looks illegal, but I've measured them and they are within NHL parameters.

My point is how good was he then and how "good" is he now?

The pads have added to some of his success, although very little in my opinion. But he is still a very good goalie, one which I would love to have on my team any time.

His .914 save percentage then would suggest he was pretty good. Giggy has been very good, for a very long time. He has improved over the years, but not becuase his equipment has been getting bigger, but because he has gained experience.

I have yet to see anyone actually demonstrate that his equipment is any bigger than most goalies in the NHL. What are the actual measurments on his pads, blocker, trapper, shoulder pads compared to the rest?

If anyone was wondering whether goalies should start wearing Dragon SKin as suggested, defensetech.com reports the price for a set as $5000.00 (I assume USD). I can't see goalies below millionaire level wanting to shell out this sort of money for chest and arm protection. The armor covers the chest, groin, and shoulders. It would likely cost more if it were outfitted to include arms (who knows if it could even be developed to move with the arms?). Just FYI.

Edit: Any more tinkering is just going to further ruin the game of hockey, but I have to agree that making equipment still smaller and screwing amateur goalies who now have to buy a new set of pads (pads widen as they are used) every year to conform to new NHL rules is better for the game than changing the nets, which WILL destroy the position of goaltending.

The teams all pay for the equipment and most goalies get sponsered so it doesn't cost the player or the club a dime.

Also, in most junior systems (Junior C, B, Tier II, Major Junior) the clubs again all buy the players eqiupment.

For the other leagues, most of those kids can keep their current equipment as it isn't as much of a problem in younger age groups.

The problem in the NHL is that there is so little time to do anything with the puck in high traffic areas. Most of the time, the player will snap off a blind shot hoping to get it on net. But with the size of equipment these days, if the goalies even in half decent position his pads will make the save for him. The fact that leg pads have no limit in length is rediculous. The 5-hole is all but gone. In fact, most players have even commented that the new 5-hole is over the blocker when the goalie goes into the butterfly position.

I am a red wings fan, so please no undue flack, but isnt this what Colorado thought when Hasek was getting all those Playoff shutouts in 02. They even tried to get a powerplay by asking that Doms stick be meassured. My point is if we are going to accuse the ducks of cheating better have a better excuse then 'he looks fatter in this picture'.

The fact that leg pads have no limit in length is rediculous. The 5-hole is all but gone.

There definately is a limit to the length, refer to Section 3, 11.2 of the official rulebook, which states many restrictions on the size of leg guards, including restricting length to a max of 38".

Also, the longer the leg guards are, the more difficult it would be to cover the 5 hole, so I am not sure what you are getting at there.