• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ttbrunke

Giguere or Michelin Man you Decide

Rate this topic

This only proves Crymson's point.

But should also prove that I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to him if I like him so much. But, putting aside my like for Jiggy, I can still honestly say his pads are legal.

There definately is a limit to the length, refer to Section 3, 11.2 of the official rulebook, which states many restrictions on the size of leg guards, including restricting length to a max of 38".

Also, the longer the leg guards are, the more difficult it would be to cover the 5 hole, so I am not sure what you are getting at there.

38" is a joke. Way too long. And the longer they are the easier it is to cover it up. For larger goalies like Giggy or Luongo, when you go 5-hole the pads touch in the middle and extend to the posts. There is no room to score along the ice.

This was brought up on CBC one time and they showed how certain goalies can protect the entire lower half by doing this.

Edited by Hank

38" is a joke. Way too long. And the longer they are the easier it is to cover it up. For larger goalies like Giggy or Luongo, when you go 5-hole the pads touch in the middle and extend to the posts. There is no room to score along the ice.

This was brought up on CBC one time and they showed how certain goalies can protect the entire lower half by doing this.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't every goalie in the league that could protect the full bottom portion of the net by doing that, however, it is still much more difficult to get down and close the 5 whole with longer pads, the tops of the pads will get in the way of each other the taller they are from the knee.

All you would really need to cover the entire bottom portion is 36" pads and this ignores your skates.

I don't buy that fact that Giggy is a BIG player. Olaf Kolzig is 6'4" and 225 pounds. His leg pads look big but he has slight padding in the upper body. Giggy takes more top-shelf room because his wide upper-body padding despite Olie's height advantage. In fact, opposing players will tell you that Olie Kolzig is vulnerable over the shoulders.

Sorry Duck fans. I will keep beating the dead horse on this one. The league should measure Giggy's equipment.

IPB Image

But should also prove that I do know what I'm talking about when it comes to him if I like him so much. But, putting aside my like for Jiggy, I can still honestly say his pads are legal.

Fair enough, I personally do not think Giguere's pads are illegal. The problem the Wings had in '03 was that every shot was right into the ducks logo on his jersey. It doesn't matter how big he is, or what kind/size pads he's wearing, no one is going to score taking those kinds of shots.

I don't buy that fact that Giggy is a BIG player. Olaf Kolzig is 6'4" and 225 pounds. His leg pads look big but he has slight padding in the upper body. Giggy takes more top-shelf room because his wide upper-body padding despite Olie's height advantage. In fact, opposing players will tell you that Olie Kolzig is vulnerable over the shoulders.

Sorry Duck fans. I will keep beating the dead horse on this one. The league should measure Giggy's equipment.

Jiggy's upper body is big. He's said it all the time. He wants to catch the puck with the biggest part of his body: His tummy. I've met him several times, he's not a small dude. And they already have measured his equipment.

Giggy's success isn't all from his pads, it's from his style of play. He's probably the most technically sound goalie in the league right now. Every time a shot is taken, the guy is in position with a butterfly that has every hole closed.

Fair enough, I personally do not think Giguere's pads are illegal. The problem the Wings had in '03 was that every shot was right into the ducks logo on his jersey. It doesn't matter how big he is, or what kind/size pads he's wearing, no one is going to score taking those kinds of shots.

The fact that the shots were all hitting him in the chest had more to do with his strong positional play than it had to do with poor shot selection.

Already done.

wait...didn't selanne get caught with an illegal stick curve near the end of the regular season!?!? they're all cheaters!!!!

seriously, though. if something's wrong with his equipment (which i doubt there is) they'll catch it; if not, it's not like he CAN'T be scored on.

i would say "shut up and focus on the game," but then i realized that nothing here actually has to do with what transpires on the ice...so by all means, keep talking about his pads, even if it is a little silly and, dare i say it, childish. *shrug* even if it is true, i just don't like the idea of blaming the refs, pads, ice surface, whatever when your team doesn't win. for me, it's like wine: lord knows i've done it, but i always regret it the next day.

(now, if giggy shuts us out two games in a row, you know i'll be back here complaining about his illegal and way-too-huge padding. :rolleyes: )

Guest Tunbo Batman

look no further than....

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/b...00&MaxW=500

he's about 1.33 Haseks. THe league shoulg really be more severe about abusive equipment. Or widen the nets. Tired of hearing commentators yell ""WHHHAATTTA SSSAAAAAVVEEEE!!!1!1111111!!"" every time a puck hits an immobile goalie because he takes 75% of the net.

Find me somebody to tell me this who isn't a Ducks fan--with a J.S. Giguere avatar to boot--and then I might believe it.

Well, I'm not a Ducks fan. Giguere is good because he's good, not because of the size of his pads. Or at least last time I was able to get Center Ice and watch games all season, he was good because he's good. I didn't have CI this season.

That said, I hope he has a horrible WCF. :P Go Wings!

look no further than....

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/b...00&MaxW=500

he's about 1.33 Haseks. THe league shoulg really be more severe about abusive equipment. Or widen the nets. Tired of hearing commentators yell ""WHHHAATTTA SSSAAAAAVVEEEE!!!1!1111111!!"" every time a puck hits an immobile goalie because he takes 75% of the net.

Hasek doesn't have a plus to his thigh rise on his pads, and if he does, it's barely there. His pads have been the same for years along with his style of play.

Plus, Hasek is like 100 pounds. :D

In some cases, bigger pads will hinder a goalie's abilities. Luongo used to have much bigger pads back in Florida, but he cut down on the size for speed, and thus, is better. But with some other goalies, they prefer the bigger pads, ala Lundqvist (who by the by, is completely a dick for his pads. He wears about a 34" pad with a +4 to his thigh rise. Completely to shut that five hole) and Giggy.

Giggy is a soild goalie guys, he has been shaky aganist the canucks. His equipment is legal he is just a huge guyi play goalie and im 6'7 285 pounds and i look like the Michelin Man and i buy the smallest cheapest equipment!!!

he's a big guy but i find it hard to believe he's not using illegal equipment , he just looks ridiculous in nets , the large equipment and 2 norris winners in the backend are the only reason hes got like a 950 save percentage ....he's nowhere as good as his numbers show ............if i were the wings organization id ask the nhl to step in and measure the equipment a few hrs before the game ........were 4 wins away from the finals , we do what we gotta do to get there , if i was the gm id ask bettman to look into it

just to let you know the first pic is from years back and before the new rule was put into place. jiggy is a big guy leave it at that

he's not that big lol , the equipment makes him huge, your in denial

i just checked sportsnet and it say giguere is 6'1 200 pounds LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL omg , i got a friend of mine who weighs the same and he's so skinny ......just thinking of the way giggy looks in nets is ridiculous , he looks like hes 280 pds

maybe his pads are but what about his chest and shoulder pads ..his XXXXXXXXX LARGE hockey jersey lmao

IPB Image

LMAO wow man thats ridiculous ........he's 6'4 220 ..........and giggy is 6'1 200 pds and he looks bigger then kolzig

he's a big guy but i find it hard to believe he's not using illegal equipment , he just looks ridiculous in nets , the large equipment and 2 norris winners in the backend are the only reason hes got like a 950 save percentage ....he's nowhere as good as his numbers show ............if i were the wings organization id ask the nhl to step in and measure the equipment a few hrs before the game ........were 4 wins away from the finals , we do what we gotta do to get there , if i was the gm id ask bettman to look into it

he's not that big lol , the equipment makes him huge, your in denial

i see your point, but what if his pads are legal? then it makes it look like the wings think they need to look for an advantage over the ducks. giggy has a great gaa / save% for the playoffs right now, but you've got to remember, both min. and van. had much lower goals-per-game averages than the wings during the regular season. on top of that, giggy had a higher gaa and a roughly equal save percentage during the regular season in comparison with hasek. you could pretty easily make the argument that the only reason hasek has such a low gaa is because his team allows the fewest shots on goal in the league. i don't think giggy's numbers are really all that elevated all things considered. we just have to put pressure on their d-men and control the puck. big pads or no, if we're playing our game, we'll get pucks in the net.

if i were the wings, i'd let it rest.

[ edit : clarity ]

Edited by stormboy

i see your point, but what if his pads are legal? then it makes it look like the wings think they need to look for an advantage over the ducks. giggy has a great gaa / save% for the playoffs right now, but you've got to remember, both min. and van. had much lower goals-per-game averages than the wings during the regular season. on top of that, giggy had a higher gaa and a roughly equal save percentage during the regular season in comparison with hasek. you could pretty easily make the argument that the only reason hasek has such a low gaa is because his team allows the fewest shots on goal in the league. i don't think giggy's numbers are really all that elevated all things considered. we just have to put pressure on their d-men and control the puck. big pads or no, if we're playing our game, we'll get pucks in the net.

if i were the wings, i'd let it rest.

[ edit : clarity ]

i dont really care about his pads that much , its more from the waist up , theres no way his chest and shoulder pads are legal , he weighs 200 pounds but he looks like he weighs close to 300

i dont really care about his pads that much , its more from the waist up , theres no way his chest and shoulder pads are legal , he weighs 200 pounds but he looks like he weighs close to 300

There are rules regarding size of upper gear on goalies as well as sweater size and these amounts are checked by the league on a regular basis. His equipment is legal, live with it.

There are rules regarding size of upper gear on goalies as well as sweater size and these amounts are checked by the league on a regular basis. His equipment is legal, live with it.

Wow, this is crazy. It follows city to city. Minnesota thought of Gigueres pads, Anaheims ice, Teemu's stick, the refs, the cheering/non cheering. Vancouver came up with Gigueres pads, Teemu's stick, the ice, the cheering. I thought maybe in "hockeytown USA" things would be different? Guess not. Gigueres pads and Teemu's stick have already been mentioned, maybe after tonight the refs will come into play and after Tuesday Anaheims Ice will be popped in. So far, the Ducks are 8-2 in the playoffs and has nothing to do with pads, a stick, the refs, or ice. Good luck tonight and in the series, may the best team win.

Giguere is a very good goaltender.

Yes he's a big guy who uses gigantic equipment, but it's legal. And he's not the only one doing it.

Before the NHL considers increasing the net size by even a millimeter, they need to do a better job at restricting goaltender equipment.

Doesn't seem any more out of line than Luongo's pads, but I don't hear anyone complaining about him.

that's a poor comparison, they're not at the same angle, you can't see Giggy from the front and Giggy is wearing a black sweater which hides the size of his actual pads. because Luongo is wearing white you can see his pad much better plus he's at an angle that make them look big.

IPB Image

okay look at patrick roy from his cup winning poise in the early 90's. That's what a goalie looks like. Look at Giggy from 2003.

IPB Image

this isn't even a fair debate

IPB Image

now for that matter look at Fuhr from the 80's Sheesh!

Edited by theman19

Guest bullocks

in the intermission on CBC, they were talking about how kelly hrudey last year said giguerre isnt a good athlete in net, but he is good with his angles. and how giguerre agreed with him lol how he moves slow side to side. they also said during the 1st ppl were wondering if his chest protector was legal, and it is...but he has these things that make his protector stand upwards more thats why the padding goes so high.

in the intermission on CBC, they were talking about how kelly hrudey last year said giguerre isnt a good athlete in net, but he is good with his angles. and how giguerre agreed with him lol how he moves slow side to side. they also said during the 1st ppl were wondering if his chest protector was legal, and it is...but he has these things that make his protector stand upwards more thats why the padding goes so high.

Right, I was just going to say this. He has things under his shoulder pads which extend them upwards. I find this a little odd. Why is that legal then? Thats just like adding padding under his shoulders. If you are going to make something illegal it should be enforced better, especially at the NHL level.

I don't mean to gripe about it too much, because it doesn't seem like he is getting much of an advantage anyways, its just the principal of it all that worries me.

I thought that it was illegal for shoulder pads to do that, so I looked it up. I see a loop-hole though.

From rule 11.3

No insert is allowed between the shoulder clavicle protector and the chest pad that would elevate the shoulder clavicle protector.

If when the goalkeeper assumes his normal crouch position, the shoulder and/or shoulder cap protection is pushed above the contour of the shoulder, the chest pad will be considered illegal.

Goalies are like NASCAR crew chiefs, reading the rulebook not for what is in there, but what isn't.

Edited by vangvace