• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ttbrunke

Fans where are you

Rate this topic

Dude, I dont know if youre aware, but COST OF LIVING =/= STATE OF ECONOMY. Thats a completely different story.

yes, i realize that cost of living and overal health of the economy are different things. but the cost of living index does play a factor in the overall big picture. keep in mind that everyone in california is affected by the higher cost of living, while only a portion (albeit one of the nations highest portion) of people in michigan are unemployed. and, according to salary.com, of those who are employed in michigan, on average they are paid higher than those in southern california. still, i'm not trying to get into a debate about economics. i just think there's much more to the poor ticket sales than just simply economics. just one outside opinion, that's all.

yes, i realize that cost of living and overal health of the economy are different things. but the cost of living index does play a factor in the overall big picture. keep in mind that everyone in california is affected by the higher cost of living, while only a portion (albeit one of the nations highest portion) of people in michigan are unemployed. and, according to salary.com, of those who are employed in michigan, on average they are paid higher than those in southern california. still, i'm not trying to get into a debate about economics. i just think there's much more to the poor ticket sales than just simply economics. just one outside opinion, that's all.

What you are saying couterdicts itself. Is it opinon or fact that economics, as you say, aren't the biggest factor in the decision not to attend games? I would suggest you do some more research, see what the average income in with in 100 miles of the Joe. It isn't going ot be nearly as high. The economy is the single biggest reason you aren't seeing as many people at the Joe as in years past. Are there other factos? Yes, no doubt.

Just what criteria were you using when you searched salary.com? I looked, I couldn't find any link to search salary by geographic location, other than first by searching by job. Even then it doesn't give me a clear answer.

i dont know if this was already posted but fsn detroit ratings for the redwings gms are up i think 8.4 or something compared from last year so its not like we arent paying attention to the wings.

Exactly... we are watching... just not caring to attend in person at the price they are requesting. I get much more enjoyment spending time with dear ol' couch and Mr. Molson... than I would dropping $200 to see the wings at the JLA w/o any such comforts.

Edited by OsGOD

What you are saying couterdicts itself. Is it opinon or fact that economics, as you say, aren't the biggest factor in the decision not to attend games? I would suggest you do some more research, see what the average income in with in 100 miles of the Joe. It isn't going ot be nearly as high. The economy is the single biggest reason you aren't seeing as many people at the Joe as in years past. Are there other factos? Yes, no doubt.

Just what criteria were you using when you searched salary.com? I looked, I couldn't find any link to search salary by geographic location, other than first by searching by job. Even then it doesn't give me a clear answer.

just my opinion, that's all.

i don't remember what criteria i was searching on. actaully i was doing some sort of cost of living index calculation between long beach and detroit, and it was just one of the stats. i believe it was a meager 1.4% difference, but detroit was higher nonetheless. but whatever...

Edited by FUUFNF

just my opinion, that's all.

i don't remember what criteria i was searching on. actaully i was doing some sort of cost of living index calculation between long beach and detroit, and it was just one of the stats. i believe it was a meager 1.4% difference, but detroit was higher nonetheless. but whatever...

That's pretty intersting to me, sorry if I came off angry or upset or whatever. I know there are some places not too far from Detroit, now that I really think about it, that are pretty well off.

I guess most people on here are getting upset, including myself, because it seems like you are questioning our dedication. I know for me, and most of my friends, it isn't about doing something else. It's about not being able to do mcu hof anything, much more the less, attend a playoff game at the Joe. I mean, for the price of one playoff ticket in the cheap seats, all of us can get together at someone's place, order a few pizzas, have a few beers, and still have some cash left over.

It's a totally different mindset out here as well. I think that has a lot to do with it. Like I said, personally, I have trouble making rent, car and insurance, cell phone, utilities, and food. To go to a playoff game, I would have had to start saving over a month ago. Instead, I've went to about 6 regular season games.

cost of living in southern california is also more than 30% higher than in michigan. but again, that's not the point i was trying to make.

This is too funny. The Wings have been sold out for years. This is the very first time we have not been sold out and now we have fans of the Ducks giving us grief. LOL. How many banners hang from your ceiling? The Wings sell out stadiums THROUGHOUT the league.

The reason there are seats is the corporate season ticket holders passed on the big bill this year. I had season tickets for 12 years. We let them go last year. I have been there, done that. Was there for a Cup win. I have plenty of choices. Pistons. Tigers. Whalers. Wings. After awhile, common sense kicks in. Is one night in the Joe worth a grand? Not to me.

The Ducks are giving us grief??? Good Lord. Now we have to listen to quacking.

After awhile, common sense kicks in. Is one night in the Joe worth a grand? Not to me.

Especially not when come October you can buy 20 tickets for that price. :thumbup:

I am SOOOOOOO sick of this topic!

If you are concerned...fine...

If you are bitching about attendance...piss off...

You know what perfect attendance gets you? Raised ticket prices whether your team does good or bad...ask the Leafs fans. I don't care if the Wings win the next 3 consecutive Cups...people have gotta step up and say enough...which I know wouldn't happen if the economy was better.

Red Wing fan-ness should not be based on shelling out money akin to a car payment for 3 hours of entertainment. If you can, fine, if you can't...you shouldn't have to feel ashamed about it or *a bad fan*.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

im spending around 500 bucks to fly to anahiem! another 701 for 2 weeks for the hotel! and im going to prolly have to dish out another 500 bucks for seats! and im missing work which is 460 bucks a day

It's kind of getting off topic, but the Michigan economy hits home with a lot of us.

The situation in Michigan with the economy is something you have to experience to understand. And for those of you who haven't experienced it, I'm happy for you, and I hope you never do.

It goes beyond disposable income. There's no comparison between living in Michigan and living somewhere where the cost of living is high but you've actually got job security. The situation here makes people spend their money differently. I have family who have had to leave the state because they couldn't find work. The jobs are disappearing. The industries that sustained people in this region are stumbling. If you have a job, you're not sure how much longer you're going to have it. You have to prepare for the worst, and save/spend accordingly.

Even health care costs are rising because of the stress people are under, wondering what's going to happen to them. So even people who haven't been forced to leave yet, are considering doing it now, before they have no choice. Of course, that makes everything worse, because the confidence of consumers continues to be driven down. Where I work, we went through a brutal wave of layoffs over the past year. It takes its toll, wondering when the hammer is going to hit next. You worry about supporting your own family, but you also worry about your family and friends. You can't sell a house. Nobody is willing to invest in something like that, with the economy so shaky.

As far as attending games, I can only share my perspective. I've been to a playoff game this year and it's not like I couldn't come up with the money to go to another. But with the uncertainty right now, it's just not the same dropping that kind of money on tickets. It feels less like plain old entertainment and more like an excessive splurge during times like these. You never know when you might need that money for more essential things if times get even worse. So, it makes me a little more reluctant.

By the way, the Wings sold out regular season games all year once again, despite this economy, at still-pretty-high ticket prices. They also still lead the playoffs in attendance, last I checked. Build small arenas and sell cheap tickets in a U.S. city, you're going to be able to sell out a lot easier. Doesn't mean much though, eh?

That's pretty intersting to me, sorry if I came off angry or upset or whatever. I know there are some places not too far from Detroit, now that I really think about it, that are pretty well off.

I guess most people on here are getting upset, including myself, because it seems like you are questioning our dedication. I know for me, and most of my friends, it isn't about doing something else. It's about not being able to do mcu hof anything, much more the less, attend a playoff game at the Joe. I mean, for the price of one playoff ticket in the cheap seats, all of us can get together at someone's place, order a few pizzas, have a few beers, and still have some cash left over.

It's a totally different mindset out here as well. I think that has a lot to do with it. Like I said, personally, I have trouble making rent, car and insurance, cell phone, utilities, and food. To go to a playoff game, I would have had to start saving over a month ago. Instead, I've went to about 6 regular season games.

no worries. i realize that it's a sensitive subject. i can't emphasize enough that i was never questioning the dedication of true red wing fans and i'm sure there are a lot of fans that would love to go, but simply can't afford it anymore. but i do think the red wing fan base has eroded a bit within the past 4 years. those who left are most likely bandwaggoners or casual fans anyway. we've seen the number of red wing fans out here dwindle as well.

believe me, ticket prices are just as high out here as they are anywhere else and i struggle to pay my bills too. not because i'm not working or anything like that, but the cost of living here is just crazy. housing prices are through the roof. gas is nearing $4 per gallon, car insurance is close to $2,000 per year. but i'm willing to skimp on a few things to get my hockey fix. does that make me a bigger fan than anyone else? definitely not, but i don't get to see the red wings out here in the playoffs very often so i will take every opportunity i get. so much for that xbox i was saving up for... :(

This is too funny. The Wings have been sold out for years. This is the very first time we have not been sold out and now we have fans of the Ducks giving us grief. LOL. How many banners hang from your ceiling? The Wings sell out stadiums THROUGHOUT the league.

The reason there are seats is the corporate season ticket holders passed on the big bill this year. I had season tickets for 12 years. We let them go last year. I have been there, done that. Was there for a Cup win. I have plenty of choices. Pistons. Tigers. Whalers. Wings. After awhile, common sense kicks in. Is one night in the Joe worth a grand? Not to me.

The Ducks are giving us grief??? Good Lord. Now we have to listen to quacking.

since you quoted me, i'm assuming that your post was directed to me.

well the last time i checked, my team has 10 cup banners hanging from the rafters. hopefully we'll be raising the 11th after this season.

perhaps you should read some of my posts before chiming in next time sport. ;)

$99 will get you Row 26 in the upper bowl (normally $22), the last row of the arena.... Thats so not a steal ;)

I am done going to games this post season... Out of state people bitching about our lack of attendance will have to pony up the money and attend a game before i dish out any more money to go!

NY shouldn't stop you from going (western new york moreso, you are even closer to us)... what is it a 2 hour flight? Tickets are available and waiting for you.

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh $96.00 wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

If I could get the tix I owuld be there...I getto about 8 games a year from Pittsburgh..tuff enuf getting the reg season tix unless I spend 75 for upper bowl through Redmond tours. U get me a ticket and I will buy yours. :siren:

If I could get the tix I owuld be there...I getto about 8 games a year from Pittsburgh..tuff enuf getting the reg season tix unless I spend 75 for upper bowl through Redmond tours. U get me a ticket and I will buy yours. :siren:

It's $99 actually.... and what is stopping you from getting a ticket? Tickets are available... You can buy your own and I already have bought my own. You go during the regular season CONVIENTLY when ticket prices are 250% lower... Come and get 'em.... good seats still available.

I've gone to 15+ games a season plus playoffs... Your point? I have been to 3 post season games already... you gotta catch up or shut up :sly:

Edited by OsGOD

im spending around 500 bucks to fly to anahiem! another 701 for 2 weeks for the hotel! and im going to prolly have to dish out another 500 bucks for seats! and im missing work which is 460 bucks a day

If you make $460 a day then honestly, you have no room in this conversation...you are not living in the same reality as the rest of us...

Tix are available..put your money where your mouth is and go to a game.

AS A SIDENOTE: The nosebleed seats are selling out...it's the uppers right before the nosebleeds that aren't. Because who wants to spend nearly $200 a seat to sit in obstructed view...and you might go to a game (ala game 1 round 2) and the team might LOSE...not even score a goal. Buy, buy $500....

Edited by Offsides

It goes beyond disposable income. There's no comparison between living in Michigan and living somewhere where the cost of living is high but you've actually got job security. The situation here makes people spend their money differently. I have family who have had to leave the state because they couldn't find work. The jobs are disappearing. The industries that sustained people in this region are stumbling. If you have a job, you're not sure how much longer you're going to have it. You have to prepare for the worst, and save/spend accordingly.

well, i work in the information technology industry in california so i wouldn't exactly say that my job security is rock solid, but i get what you're saying. we all have choices in life on where, when, and how we spend our precious resources. and again, it's not like i have very many chances to see red wing playoff hockey without actually having to travel out of state, so i'm taking my opportunity while it's here.

I think that's what no one's getting...in regards to your post FUUFNF....is that you would jumpt at a chance to go to a game. So you get a seat in the lowers for the finals with your husband/wife/friend....

Now that you've exhausted that $1000 can you go to game 2??

That's the problem.

I think that's what no one's getting...in regards to your post FUUFNF....is that you would jumpt at a chance to go to a game. So you get a seat in the lowers for the finals with your husband/wife/friend....

Now that you've exhausted that $1000 can you go to game 2??

That's the problem.

lower seats for all 3 games? ha! i wish i could afford to go sit in the lowers. i'll take 2-3 games in the nose-bleeders over 1 game in the lowers any day. believe me, i can't afford to drop a grand on hockey tickets. do i wish the ticket prices were lower? of course. but i have no control over that so i'm just going with it the best i can.

well, i work in the information technology industry in california so i wouldn't exactly say that my job security is rock solid, but i get what you're saying. we all have choices in life on where, when, and how we spend our precious resources. and again, it's not like i have very many chances to see red wing playoff hockey without actually having to travel out of state, so i'm taking my opportunity while it's here.

Hell yeah... If I was a ducks fan in Michigan (Lord knows why that would EVER happen) then you better beleive I would jump at the chance to get tickets to the game.... Since they are limited engagements..... Doing that over and over up to 16 games over the 4 rounds, with each round getting vastly over priced.... Yeah right.... Money just isn't there.

I might mix up the arenas with the ticket price, but they were talking about the costs of seats in various arenas on WXYT during the first round. I heard that some teams, I think Dallas was one, were offering cheap seats for some incredibly low price like $13. Man, I'd do standing room only (which I've had to pay $40 for during the regular season at JLA) for every single home game for that kind of price.

It's $99 actually.... and what is stopping you from getting a ticket? Tickets are available... You can buy your own and I already have bought my own. You go during the regular season CONVIENTLY when ticket prices are 250% lower... Come and get 'em.... good seats still available.

I've gone to 15+ games a season plus playoffs... Your point? I have been to 3 post season games already... you gotta catch up or shut up :sly:

Ticketmaster says "no seats found, please search again"

I am not driving 5 hours from Pittsburgh and getting a seat in 212 and one in 226..I would love to catch up, not livi ng in detroit and being able to go all the time makes me hate the whining...playoff tickets cost more because it's the playoffs!!

I saw them win it in 1997-1998- and against the Canes...shelling out the cash is fine...just need two together. :siren:

$460 a day huh? Must be nice, I struggle to to pay bills that total to less than $1000 a month, less than half your work week. Don't talk to people like me, on this thread about having it rough in Michigan.

lower seats for all 3 games? ha! i wish i could afford to go sit in the lowers. i'll take 2-3 games in the nose-bleeders over 1 game in the lowers any day. believe me, i can't afford to drop a grand on hockey tickets. do i wish the ticket prices were lower? of course. but i have no control over that so i'm just going with it the best i can.

Nosebleeds will probably sell out, but next best will be around $500-$600 a pair.

Not including parking and stuff. But a $9 beer is a drop in the bucket at that point :P

My point was really that you can do that like once, maybe twice, but then it starts getting really costly. We've dropped money in the first 2 rounds, but now that it's getting really exciting we can't afford it anymore...I'm sad :(

People who are NOT at the games (for WHATEVER reason) who whine about other people who are not at the games are totally dead to me.

Ticketmaster says "no seats found, please search again"

I am not driving 5 hours from Pittsburgh and getting a seat in 212 and one in 226..I would love to catch up, not livi ng in detroit and being able to go all the time makes me hate the whining...playoff tickets cost more because it's the playoffs!!

I saw them win it in 1997-1998- and against the Canes...shelling out the cash is fine...just need two together. :siren:

Really??? sold out, down front... yeah nice try... here ya go as of 9:40pm EST

IPB Image

Two great seats for you to enjoy the game from.

If you rounded up all the people, guests included, on this website and forced them to answer a survey about whether they would go see the Wings if they could...the numbers of yes's would be enough to fill up what the JLA is lacking from night to night. I think that fact alone shuts down the debate. It's obviously not that people don't want to go. We've had a constant stream of replies about how people want to go but can't. For cripes sake, can't this be put to rest at some point?

Edited by good morning

I back the people with this basic concern. The Detroit area is largely blue collar, the ticket prices are just to expensive to attend a lot of games. Making a $3500 house payment in CA is like making a $1500 house note in the Detroit burbs. People in CA make more, things are more expensive, it all washes out really. If you are making enough to float a $3500 house note around here you probably live in Birmingham and ticket prices aren't your major concern. A house that costs $450k in CA would go for $160K here, comparing the two is apples and oranges. People who give Detroit fans a hard time about empty seats obviously just don't know what it's like here. The only reason I have any idea about what life is like in CA is I have a sister there. Bottom line, times are tough here, most of the working class fans here just don't have enough to go. Living here though, you know the spirit is alive, the fans are out supporting the team however they can, the energy is still amazing. I live near 14 and John R, 1 mile from the Troy Sports Center and Hockeytown Authentics, I can tell you people here are as excited as ever. The fact that people around Detroit get angry when someone who has no idea what it's like here says "hockey fans here are lame" is understandable. When stupid SH*T like that leaves your mouth it's obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.