• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ttbrunke

Fans where are you

Rate this topic

Just a quick FYI, tickets that were $20 face value during the regular season are now $99, that is %500 mark up. These are the seats that I usually get. I can't afford much else.

tickets are marked up that much here too.

:rolleyes:

ok, you got me. i have no idea what the f*** i'm talking about. i'm a ducks fan and i think the red wings suck. you know me better than my mother does.

:lol:

I don't agree with him that you have no idea what you're talking about, but reading your posts I really don't think you get how bad the economy in Michigan is right now.

And its not just a bad economic environment. It's a combination of a bad economic environment coupled with high ticket prices. If tickets were 20-30-40 bucks, people in shaky financial situations might go to a game just as a treat and a way to forgot about what's happening for a couple hours. But with ticket prices what they are, no one is going to blow that kind of money if they can't afford it.

They should be!!! remember the cost of living is much higher in Cal. You can afford them, and it doesnt put much of a dent in your 6 figure salary!!!

Do season ticket holders get price breaks in Anaheim?

Also, aside from the economy and competition from other sports teams, it's important to note that the JLA seats almost 3,000 more people than the Honda Center.

Edited by FearTheSnarf

That may be so. But you are forgetting how awful the economy is here. Like I said before, it's a choice between basic needs and a hockey game, what are you going to pick?

You said before you pay a $3,500/mo mortgage. That alone says you make at least $3,500/mo, yeah cost of living is significantly higher, but understand this. Here, people aren't worried about making minimum payments on their crdit cards, or having the mortgage in on time. We are worring about how we are going to find the money to get our next meal, how much longer the electric company will leave our elecrticy on because it hasn't been paid in months. We don't wonder where our kids are going to go to college, we wonder if they can find a job after high school to help us stay afloat.

I really don't think you have a grasp on how bad things are here. Going to a Wings game is a great way to get away from it all, but not when it's going to a Wings game or having food.

I don't agree with him that you have no idea what you're talking about, but reading your posts I really don't think you get how bad the economy in Michigan is right now.

And its not just a bad economic environment. It's a combination of a bad economic environment coupled with high ticket prices. If tickets were 20-30-40 bucks, people in shaky financial situations might go to a game just as a treat and a way to forgot about what's happening for a couple hours. But with ticket prices what they are, no one is going to blow that kind of money if they can't afford it.

you're probably right, and i don't truly understand just how bad the michigan economy is. but i didn't really plan on getting into a full-blown economic discussion about why the michigan economy is how it is. basically what i'm saying is that it's easy to blame the poor economy for the lack of ticket sales at the joe. and although it is a reason, i don't think it's the main reason. i do think there is an erroding interest in red wing hockey, and considering our past 3 playoff performaces, it's understandably so. but does that mean that people in the detroit area are not "true" fans because they can't afford to go to games? definitely not.

I don't think the local economy has as much to do with it as the $$$ they charge for the playoff tickets. My wife gives me enough grief about the cost of going to regular season games!

Truer words cannot be (typed in this case). Even at $99 a seat it's pretty darn expensive. Most of those seats go first so then your looking at spending even more. I was lucky enought to see game 1 of the conference finals in 2002. They didn't seem that expensive back then.

Do season ticket holders get price breaks in Anaheim?

i'm not a ducks season ticket holder, so i wouldn't know with certainty. but, from what i heard, no, definitely not.

and you have 2.3% more people with steady work and steady salaries to fill those seats. Its all relative.

Like I said... got to any local watering hole on game night and try to get a walk in seat. People are still supporting the wings... only they aren't rapping their wallets to do so.

Edited by OsGOD

I would go in a HEARTBEAT...but there is one big thing stopping me.

I kinda live about 900 Miles from Detroit in the town of Seligman, MO.

Here is an interesting item of note I just found...

The Arrowhead Pond seats 17,174 for NHL games. if that was the capacity of the JLA it too would be selling out every game so far this playoffs.

In 1993, the Arrowhead Pond opened as the Anaheim Arena; later that year Arrowhead Water became the title sponsor of the building.

On October 3, 2006 the name of the building changed to Honda Center when Honda Motor Company became the title sponsor of the building. This is the first name change in the 14 year history of the building.

So it looks like only the name changed.. I couldn't find any info as to more seats being put in.

Truer words cannot be (typed in this case). Even at $99 a seat it's pretty darn expensive. Most of those seats go first so then your looking at spending even more. I was lucky enought to see game 1 of the conference finals in 2002. They didn't seem that expensive back then.

A year ago I wouldn't have blinked at spending $100 or more on a playoff ticket. But after my recent layoff, I'm so far in th red it just isn't feasiable.

There are plenty of people going. Just because it isn't a sellout doesn't mean there are rows upon rows of empty seats. There are a few, but not that many.

This whole seat thing is so overblown. Everytime I read the postgame report on TSN, I see they throw some stupid attendance crap in there. I don't get what the big deal. Ticket prices are expensive. That said, there is still a decent amount of people going.

You want empty seats? Look at the highlights from the New Jersey Devils first round series against Tampa. Now that is an attendance problem.

There are plenty of people going. Just because it isn't a sellout doesn't mean there are rows upon rows of empty seats. There are a few, but not that many.

This whole seat thing is so overblown. Everytime I read the postgame report on TSN, I see they throw some stupid attendance crap in there. I don't get what the big deal. Ticket prices are expensive. That said, there is still a decent amount of people going.

You want empty seats? Look at the highlights from the New Jersey Devils first round series against Tampa. Now that is an attendance problem.

:clap::clap::clap:

Well said.

you're probably right, and i don't truly understand just how bad the michigan economy is. but i didn't really plan on getting into a full-blown economic discussion about why the michigan economy is how it is. basically what i'm saying is that it's easy to blame the poor economy for the lack of ticket sales at the joe. and although it is a reason, i don't think it's the main reason. i do think there is an erroding interest in red wing hockey, and considering our past 3 playoff performaces, it's understandably so. but does that mean that people in the detroit area are not "true" fans because they can't afford to go to games? definitely not.

Dude, I think you are on to something, but if you are living in MI (and a Wings Fan), you don't want to hear it. We moved to Ohio (not much better economy, but more stable) last Summer. We are still sitting on a house in the Metro Detroit area that has lost ten of thousands in value and is now in foreclosure. Things are really bad there and the ticket prices really do keep the everyday man (or woman) away from the games.

Someone mentioned some of this earlier, the NHL has done nothing to solidify it's base even in cities where hockey is popular. The lockout, especially in Detroit (combined with playoff flops), left people jumping into new sports and entertainment.

The Pistons won a championship just as the Wings were headed into a lockout. In 2005 - 2006 the Wings crapped out in the 1st round... that same year the Tigers go to the World Series. Add to that the new stadium for the Lions Downtown and you have several factors that make the Wings the pro team on the outside looking in.

Detroit is really a football town (if the Lions won, Detroit would go crazy!), not too far behind a baseball town (look at what happened last year in Detroit). Hockey will always be big, but people have better options... Illitch continues to raise Wings ticket prices and until he sees the err in his ways, attendance will go down.

All that being said, 17 - 18,000 fans at the games is nothing to scoff at!

All that being said, 17 - 18,000 fans at the games is nothing to scoff at!

It would defintely sell out the 17,174 hockey seat Honda Center on a nightly basis... You want playoff sell outs with high ticket prices.... Build a smaller venue... then you will continue to sell out.

The Mighty Foul continue to sell out becuase their venue seats less than the joe. Unless someone can find more updated info that is the number i got right from the Ducks website talking about the Arrowhead pond (only a name change they said when it went to Honda center)

I am taking the money I am saving by not going to one more game (an I do mean just a single game ~ savings of over $100.00 now) and buying a season pass to Cedar Point! That to me is money better spent than for 2-1/2 hours of playoff hockey.

My family has already dropped a grand on the playoffs this season, so all of those out of state bitching about selling out then by all means, take your $1,000.00 and get your ass to the Joe one or more times... then AND ONLY then can you ***** about the attendance. 'Cause if you aren't doing your part to fill the Joe... I don't even want to hear it!

Edited by OsGOD

Here is an interesting item of note I just found...

The Arrowhead Pond seats 17,174 for NHL games. if that was the capacity of the JLA it too would be selling out every game so far this playoffs.

So it looks like only the name changed.. I couldn't find any info as to more seats being put in.

if the ducks were not playing the wings or if the lakers were still in the nba playoffs, there's a good chance that quite a few of these WCF games at the honda center would not sell out. these games are especially hot ticket items because of these factors. believe me, i'm not touting the ducks fan base. actually, i find them to be quite fickle. in my opinion the kings have a more solid fan base (even though they suck year in and year out). would i like to see the joe sell out every game, sure. what red blooded red wing fan wouldn't? but in the end it's not really a big deal to me. i'd still be a fan regardless.

I have several thoughts to throw in the mix....not that anyone cares (or should care for that matter):

A lot of the empty seats are from season ticket holders not opting to buy Playoff tix. Why? For one thing, one has to buy round 1 AND 2 at once. Can you say $5000.00 up front in advance? If the Wings got knocked out in the 1st round, the tix holder would get thier money for round 2 back in say....August/ September. Nice huh? With the last couple of 1st round exits, who can blame them?

I buy into the media thing completely. It doesn't matter how much fan intrest there is (or is not) in hockey, the Detroit media has ignored the Wings since the lockout. I have no respect for that. I need no input from the evil media dogs that expect us to believe in thier lies and storybook myths about what we like. Who needs them. We have LGW...better coverage in a more than timely manner. A room full of geeks, freaks, fans, bandwaggoners, trolls, moosefarts, etc.

I say again, who needs the media?

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

the nose-bleeder seats at the honda center also go for around $100, and they've been sold out even before the wings qualified for round 3. i'll probably be paying about $150-$200 per ticket within the next few days. the economy out here is probably doing better than in the detroit area, but the cost of living is a lot higher as well. that being said, i don't really buy into the high ticket prices and bad economy excuses i've been hearing.

Wow. You have absolutely no idea what the economy is like. Lets see, Michigans economy is 49th out of 50 states. Hmm, yeah, it might just be a little bit worse than California.

Wow. You have absolutely no idea what the economy is like. Lets see, Michigans economy is 49th out of 50 states. Hmm, yeah, it might just be a little bit worse than California.

cost of living in southern california is also more than 30% higher than in michigan. but again, that's not the point i was trying to make.

Really? Ticketmaster says differently. I didnt know that $71 for the cheapest ticket in Anaheim was the same as $99 being the cheapest ticket in Detroit.

As for the Ducks fans bitching about attendance, not you FUUFNF, they can kiss my ass. The Ducks had a non-sell out or two in the 1st round of the playoffs last year.

cost of living in southern california is also more than 30% higher than in michigan. but again, that's not the point i was trying to make.

Dude, I dont know if youre aware, but COST OF LIVING =/= STATE OF ECONOMY. Thats a completely different story.

Really? Ticketmaster says differently. I didnt know that $71 for the cheapest ticket in Anaheim was the same as $99 being the cheapest ticket in Detroit.

i don't know anything about a $71 ticket at the honda center. every nosebleeder ticket i've seen has had a $99 face value.

i just bought two tickets to game 3 for $225 for the pair.