• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

regwinguofmfan

This is the Wing I miss most

Rate this topic

I wish we had both Bruise Bros back. Probert was always my favorite player. Remember when he went to the all-star game?

It was amazing watching Probie at the all star game. Not being able to hit or muck it up, he looked so lost out there. :P

This is not at all meant to be disrespectful toward a Wings great, but I must say I find it a little ironic that so many of you are talking about how great it would be to have Vlad the Impaler back in a topic that's related to how dirty a defenseman Chris Pronger is. I wish Vlad were still playing too, but you've got to admit that he was even dirtier than Pronger. Maybe the dirtiest player I've ever seen in a Wings uniform.

You do remember that Hatcher played here for a short while, don't you?

as did Ulf Samuelsson.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest jaytan

Hatcher, at least, was a good leader and a really tough fighter. His time with us didn't go too smoothly, but unfortunately, he was injured. Then we had the stupid lock-out.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Doubt it would happen near as much if he was still around

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3THmZ1HoMoY...ted&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcLTZ7pkd4...ted&search=

Im sure some of you feel the same.

I especially like the number done on our friend Playfair from Calgary.

A long time ago I found a sweet magazine on a rack in a magazine shop where I went to college. Anyway, it was strictly devoted to fighters in the NHL. It must've been 10 years now but i've never seen another one like it. Anyway, it ranked the top 25 fighters in the league with a bio and some ratings and then honorable mention for like 25 other guys. Anyway, I don't have the mag anymore but I remember Joey was ranked #25 at the time. Mind you this was back around 96-97 at the tail end of his career. The mag had cool ratings for things like punch power, fear, stamina, etc.... Anyway, the bio's for the 1st 25 guys were a couple sentences long but I remember Joey's was very short and succinct. This may not be verbatim but it read "Doesn't fight much anymore because he doesn't have to. Simply put, he's a legend" I'm pretty sure that's all it said. That always stuck with me because anybody who watched Joey just knew, for a guy of his size, relative to other heavyweights, he was the most fearsome guy ever. Probie prolly goes down as the best but in my mind Joey is better because he didn't have the size but he had far more KO's than just about anybody, even Probie and those mangled hands of his just showed what kind of a ferocious warrior he was.

I like how Kocur mellowed in his later years. When he KO'd a guy, he'd just skate away instead of taking one last shot at him. :D

He could change the outcome of a fight with one swing of his right hand.

Man, wtf was Eagles thinking dropping the gloves with Joey.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

as did Ulf Samuelsson.

Woah. I remember him. Ulf's knee-on-knee was basically what ended Cam Neelys career, wasn't it? He was a really dirty player.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if our current Samulesson played that way, but he probably won't. Hey, I've got to admit, I hate dirty players in the league, but when their on the Wings, they do help. I guess I'm a hypocrite then. :P

Guest jaytan

And Vladdy was a Norris caliber defenseman who threw Scott Steven's-like checks.

He definitely was, I'm not saying he was a bad defenseman. I'm just saying he was notorious for his dirty play.

This is not at all meant to be disrespectful toward a Wings great, but I must say I find it a little ironic that so many of you are talking about how great it would be to have Vlad the Impaler back in a topic that's related to how dirty a defenseman Chris Pronger is. I wish Vlad were still playing too, but you've got to admit that he was even dirtier than Pronger. Maybe the dirtiest player I've ever seen in a Wings uniform.

Vladdy played with ruthless abandon, not intent to injure. There is a big difference there.

Kocur was definately great to have on the team! There are a lot of guys I miss:

Konstantinov ...pretty obvious one there!

Federov ...loved watching him completely undress people on an end-to-end rush

Fischer ...the guy was awesome in the 2002 cup run, had all the potential in the world to become a dominant D-man

Coffey ...I remember when he was paired with Lids on the powerplay, it was lights out!

Murphy ...formed a very solid pair with Lids on D for both the '97 and '98 cups

Kozlov ...always seemed to be able to skate into a crowd of guys twice his size and skate out with the puck untouched. Also, he was clutch in the playoffs.

Dino ...maybe the only guy who was better in front of the net than Homer.

Fischer ...the guy was awesome in the 2002 cup run, had all the potential in the world to become a dominant D-man

Coffey ...I remember when he was paired with Lids on the powerplay, it was lights out!

Kozlov ...always seemed to be able to skate into a crowd of guys twice his size and skate out with the puck untouched. Also, he was clutch in the playoffs.

I was going to say Dino, but I didn't know how many of us still remembered. That settles it, this is the board I'm meant to be on!

With all respect to Dino (I have the mans #22 Home Jersey) I dont think he could do what he did in todays NHL. Homer is the perfect body type for this, thick.

Probert was a great fighter but the pure power Joey had I dont think we will ever see again. When he hit people it looked like he was a Light Heavyweight boxer. Just unreal.

With all respect to Dino (I have the mans #22 Home Jersey) I dont think he could do what he did in todays NHL. Homer is the perfect body type for this, thick.

Probert was a great fighter but the pure power Joey had I dont think we will ever see again. When he hit people it looked like he was a Light Heavyweight boxer. Just unreal.

It's hard to say. Dino was never a particularly good skater. With the speed of the post-lockout game, he (at least in the form that he was in with the Wings) would probably struggle to keep up. On the other hand, though, skating was never a big part of his game (kinda like Homer). Also, consider that Dino played many of his prime years in the 80s, when the style was very open and free-wheeling. If anything, it could be argued that Dino (as he was in his prime) might have fared better in today's NHL than in the pre-lockout trap era. As for size, you're right that Homer can deal with a level of abuse that Dino probably could not...one thing that Dino excelled at, however, was looking like he was getting mauled and drawing a penalty.

As far as comparing him to Homer:

Drawing opposition penalties: Dino>>>Homer

Scoring off rebounds: Dino>Homer

Scoring off deflections: Dino>>Homer (Dino was ridiculous at this)

Size/strength: Homer>>>Dino

Pest factor: Dino>Homer

Checking/physical play: Homer>>Dino

Skating ability: Dino=Homer=pretty lousy :lol:

Just my 2 cents...feel free to disagree :)

McCarty by far, man if he saw that hit, he would have been right out there next shift wating for pronger.

Very true...In the back of my mind I was hoping Bertuzzi or someone would go out there and take a chunk out of him the next shift he was on the ice.

I miss Stevie. I wish he could play forever. greatest captain ever.

Liddy is a great captain, too.

I liked Dino as well.

I gotta agree with you , I mean Probie , Kocur , Vladdy , Fischer and McCarty where great Red Wings. But the Red Wing that I miss most is Steve Yzerman.

:clap:Greatest Captain ever. :thumbup:

Here is a vid you may or may not enjoy. Eitherway I think it's great.

You'll just have to laugh at the homer guys

those announcers are hilarious. it's like hearing a couple grandpa's commentating on the game.

While we're reminiscing.

You gotta wait until the end to see Probie's uppercut on Nylund.

Edited by haroldsnepsts