• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Was Pronger really the missing piece?

Rate this topic

I'll say no. I think he obviously helped the team and was a reason why they won the cup, but at the same time I don't think he was necessary to their success. I believe that the emergence of their young players was the main reason that they were so successful this year and Pronger was more of a luxury than anything else.

I remember watching Pronger last year and he was playing like he was the best defensemen in the world, it was incredible. This year outside of his illegal infractions I can't say that he was that outstanding that people like Jim Rome who probably don't watch the Ducks that often believed that he was their best player.

There's two ways to look at Pronger's value to the team: 1) Their team was just playing so well that it didn't matter which player (outside of Giguere) went down because of the level they were playing at or 2) On the Ducks, Pronger is their Mathieu Schneider a guy who can come up huge but also a guy who isn't completely indispensable when you have a guy like Niedermayer or Lidstrom to pick it up.

Thoughts?

Guest MrSandMan
Was Pronger really the missing piece?

The missing piece of s***? Yes. :ph34r:

There's two ways to look at Pronger's value to the team: 1) Their team was just playing so well that it didn't matter which player (outside of Giguere) went down because of the level they were playing at or 2) On the Ducks, Pronger is their Mathieu Schneider a guy who can come up huge but also a guy who isn't completely indispensable when you have a guy like Niedermayer or Lidstrom to pick it up.

The Wings seemed to miss Schneider when he was down more than the Ducks missed Pronger. The key to the Ducks this year was the young guys like McDonald, Kunitz, Perry, Getzlaf, Beauchemin who played very well, as well as vets like Selanne and Niedermayer playing at a high level.

The real question is:

Where is the missing piece between Proger's two front teeth.

The key to the Ducks this year was the young guys like McDonald, Kunitz, Perry, Getzlaf, Beauchemin who played very well, as well as vets like Selanne and Niedermayer playing at a high level.

Add Paulsson to that list. Also, they got career performances from Rob Niedermeyer, and Brad May.

I think he may have been. The Ducks came close last year, but were knocked out by Pronger and the Oil. Now Pronger comes to Anaheim, and they advance farther. Granted, Giguere was the main reason why that happened. Maybe Pronger added more confidence to the roster.

Oh well, they'll need him next year after Selanne and Neidermeyer(sp) retire and after the possible departure of Giguere.

I'll say no. I think he obviously helped the team and was a reason why they won the cup, but at the same time I don't think he was necessary to their success. I believe that the emergence of their young players was the main reason that they were so successful this year and Pronger was more of a luxury than anything else.

I remember watching Pronger last year and he was playing like he was the best defensemen in the world, it was incredible. This year outside of his illegal infractions I can't say that he was that outstanding that people like Jim Rome who probably don't watch the Ducks that often believed that he was their best player.

Thoughts?

I think he helped a lot to that team but its hard to tell if he was the "missing piece" because they were in the west finals last year. Whos to say Giggy doesn't step in and be dominant like he was and they still win? This team as a team played a lot better than last year. Different guys stepped up every night. He was a great addition no matter what though.

Pronger is a lot like Chelios, you hate him when he is on the other team, and love it when he is on yours.

I'd sure like to see him with a red/white jersey.

i would absolutely seperate myself from the red wings if that happened. pronger is a disgrace to the nhl and the fact that his name will join guys like yzerman, bossy, orr, messier, lemieux, and gretzky, just to name a few, on the most prestigious trophy in north america is one that should make every hockey fan sick to his or her stomach.

i would absolutely seperate myself from the red wings if that happened. pronger is a disgrace to the nhl and the fact that his name will join guys like yzerman, bossy, orr, messier, lemieux, and gretzky, just to name a few, on the most prestigious trophy in north america is one that should make every hockey fan sick to his or her stomach.

I would hate to see Pronger on the Wings as well, but keep in mind that plenty of people said this about Cheli and Bert.

I would hate to see Pronger on the Wings as well, but keep in mind that plenty of people said this about Cheli and Bert.

Before this playoffs, I said I wouldn't mind having Pronger on the team. I hate the guy, but as you pointed out, that's how I felt about Chelios.

He brings a lot of toughness and solid defense to the blueline. But after his cheapshots, and just his bad, his whining about the canadian media being responsible for his suspension, I've had enough of this guy.

And more on topic, no I don't think he was the missing piece. He helped for sure. But Anaheim proved they can win big games without him each time he got suspended.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest MrSandMan

The Ducks would not have won without Pronger. Period.

I agree with this... Ducks needed a big classless goon to try to end other players career, yet have the name to only get a slap on the wrist and a pat on the fanny. Who else would have been the better goon?

It's hard to debate whether they would have or would have not won without Pronger.

The Ducks were under .500 without Pronger during the regular season, but were 2-0 without him in the playoffs. If they didn't pick him up last offseason, would they have ended up 2nd place in the West? Probably not. Would they have made it to the playoffs? Without a doubt. With their playoff appearance, would they have won the cup? Who knows, but Beauchemin proved that he is worthy compensation for Pronger's absence, and I firmly believe that they would have had a shot without Pronger.

Pronger was effective, but you got to wonder how effective he was. I'm wondering if he would have won Conn Smythe had he not been suspended those two games, and I'm considering that would have been the case.

Guest Crymson

Thoughts?

Pronger is certainly a better player than is Lupul. That is indisputable.

However, their true "missing piece" was playing against a Wings team which had just played two utterly bruising series and was full of walking-wounded and outright-injured players. The best team did NOT win the Cup this year, just as Carolina beat out the best-but-highly-injured Sabres team last year. Bummer. At least, however, Carolina wasn't deliberately trying to injure the opposition. I can't say the same for Pronger and the SoCal goonsquad.

Guest bullocks

Yes he was. I hate to say it, but right when they acquired him last off-season i knew they were almost a for sure lock for the Cup. I mean he got Edmonton there almost single handily. Anaheim was already a good team and Pronger but them over the top. But he could put alot of teams over the top.

He's the "missing link"***, not the missing piece.

Joking aside, it's hard to assess his impact on the team, both on the ice and in the locker room. It's probably far more of a positive than most of us are willing to give him credit for....

...dammitall anyway.

***A transitional fossil, especially one thought to be needed to explain the evolutionary gap between APES and HUMANS.

Guest Crymson

Yes he was. I hate to say it, but right when they acquired him last off-season i knew they were almost a for sure lock for the Cup. I mean he got Edmonton there almost single handily. Anaheim was already a good team and Pronger but them over the top. But he could put alot of teams over the top.

For you, everyone whom the Wings either play or have the potential to play is a "sure lock" for the cup. Yes, that meant the Sharks, the Preds and the Ducks.. I think you only said that we'd lose to the Flames, not that they'd win the Cup, actually, so excuse me a bit.

Guest bullocks

For you, everyone whom the Wings either play or have the potential to play is a "sure lock" for the cup. Yes, that meant the Sharks, the Preds and the Ducks.. I think you only said that we'd lose to the Flames, not that they'd win the Cup, actually, so excuse me a bit.

yes, although i joined this site at the start of the ducks series. but ya, i for sure made those predictions ;)

I can honestly say there are certain people I would never want to don a Wings jersey, and Pronger is one of them. Not under any cicrumstance.

i guess u don't want to win a cup that bad then

Im kinda split on this one. On one hand, the team clearly had a vacancy for a top 4 defenseman. They had Niedermayer and Beauchemin which is great, and O'donnell is pretty darn solid, but there was definitely a need there. So in that sense, yes Pronger being that guy kinda does make him the missing piece. However, on the other hand its not like the Ducks wouldve stood pat with that extra 6 mill or whatever Pronger is making and not acquired anybody. Had they signed Chara would they have won the Cup? Yes. Jovanovski? Another yes from me. Its just tough to give a definitive answer because we dont really know what wouldve happened with their defense situation.

I don't know that you could say any single player is ever the 'missing piece' on a Stanley Cup winning team. From year to year things change. Was he a huge part of their Cup run? Yes. But was his team able to win without him? Yes. If I were to consider a palyer the 'missing piece' I would have to at least say he is a very strong candidate for the CS trophy, which Pronger was not. To be honest, I was shocked when Giguere wasn't called up for that.

Lastly, I would LOVE to see Pronger in Detroit. He is exactly what we are missing on the blueline. Blah blah blah, I don't want to hear about his cheapshots. He is a great Dman. He is an imposing physcial presence, and if for no other reason, having him on our blueline would make life easier for the Eurotwins.

Lastly, I would LOVE to see Pronger in Detroit. He is exactly what we are missing on the blueline. Blah blah blah, I don't want to hear about his cheapshots. He is a great Dman. He is an imposing physcial presence, and if for no other reason, having him on our blueline would make life easier for the Eurotwins.

With all due respect... STFU. Seriously. Now. Pretty please?

(I'm j/k, I do see your point, and it's far from an ignorant one, and you may be perfectly right. It just makes me violently ill at the thought)

I've put up with Hull in the past, and have come to admire Cheli enormously after a very loooonnng period of non-acceptance as a Wing.

I've even accepted Bertuzzi, because I believe he wants, and perhaps on some level, deserves redemption (I also believe in the possibility of fairies, dragons, good men, and other mythical creaturs).

He Who Shall Not Be Named.... the day his name goes on the Cup as a Red Wing is the day I become a Leafs fan.

Edited by RedRockit