• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Mission_hockey#2

Lang

Rate this topic

I like Lang I really do, just not at 3.9 mill per. That's money better spent else where, now if he wanted to come back for say 1.5-2.0 I'd be happy to have him. That being said, I don't expect him back, someone will offer him more money and although I'm sure he likes the team, he and Bab's didn't see eye to eye.

Hudler isn't that hard to catch, especially compared to Datsyuk.

Hoodlum does a lot of his best work moving without the puck.

(it didn't quote the initial post, but this response is to Eva's changing my post to read Hudler is hard to catch).

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Hudler isn't that hard to catch, especially compared to Datsyuk.

Hoodlum does a lot of his best work moving without the puck.

(it didn't quote the initial post, but this response is to Eva's changing my post to read Hudler is hard to catch).

Hudler is not Paul Kariya, but he's still much quicker than Lang.

Hudler is not Paul Kariya, but he's still much quicker than Lang.

Honestly it's hard for me to say.

I'd bet Hudler is quicker in short bursts, like moving around the offensive zone. But in terms of getting down the rink, Lang covers more ground in three long strides than Hudler probably does in 15.

It's probably time for Lang to go, but like I said before, it's disappointing to think the Wings may be even smaller than they were last season.

Well according to the season in review the guys said that he'd most likely be back. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Homer,

Said who would most likely be back? Lang? Where did you read that?

Booster313 Posted Today, 12:04 PM

(96Homer @ June 13, 2007 - 11:42AM) *

Well according to the season in review the guys said that he'd most likely be back. I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Homer,

Said who would most likely be back? Lang? Where did you read that?

Yeah, Ken and Mick said lang would most likely be back on the season in review that was on fsn last sat.

Edited by 96Homer

Lang just never did fit...

Other than this last season, i tend to disagree. Lang had very good chemistry with Yzerman, Whitney & Bertuzzi. However, he did not fit well with everyone else.

Guest Crymson

I know Lang wasn't a crasher or banger but it's a lot harder to move a 6'2" 215 lb buy off the puck than a 5'9 180 lb guy (Hudler).

Lang's tremendous numbers of giveaways--first on the team, third in the league--give lie to your statement.

Lang's size, in any event, was useless. He would not use it. I daresay Hasek checked more opposing players over the course of the season than did Lang.

i know a lot of people will disagree and i'm ok with that but... lang and hudler should both be shown the door. it's already been stated, the FA center market is deep enough to get a better return on our investment. i know hudler is cheap but he still takes up a roster spot for somebody that could do more for the wings.

How could you possibly know what Hudler can do for the Wings? Well, you DID see him score 16 goals with HIDEOUSLY low ice time..

think!

I hope we keep Lang and Huddles.

I doubt we will keep Lang, but it would not bother me, but it looks like he's wanting more ice time than he can get on this team....it's just so good. I still like that he can score goals when no one else seems to be apt to do it. Not just in the playoffs, but he did that in the regular season as well.

Hudler also seemed to have a tendancy towards being able to score goals when others weren't stepping up. His lack of ice time baffles me, because I think he puts his heart and soul into every shift. Yes, he's smaller, but size isn't everything. I think he's actually a better all around player than Flip, and has done more with his time...but that's just me.

I guess that we'll see.

Edited by Offsides

Lang's tremendous numbers of giveaways--first on the team, third in the league--give lie to your statement.

Lang's size, in any event, was useless. He would not use it. I daresay Hasek checked more opposing players over the course of the season than did Lang.

Give lie to my statement?? Not really.

I couldn't find the giveaway stats, but wasn't Jagr first or second in giveaways? Hmm, I guess he's easy to push off the puck too.

Many of Lang's giveaways are from him carrying the puck in traffic and oftentimes bad decisionmaking when trying to pass. When he's going to the net to shoot he's pretty good. When he's carrying the puck through traffic and tries to dish it, things often don't go well.

I know he's strong on the puck because I've watched him play. A giveaway stat doesn't make that untrue. Especially since as far as stats go, giveaways and takeaway stats are fairly meaningless and inconsistently recorded.

An interesting analysis of giveaways/takeaway stats

And you seriously can't think Lang was brought here to be a checker. There's an asset to being a big guy with long reach, even if you're not crushing your opponent into the boards.

He's still a big body and was good for the Wings the last few seasons and especially in the playoffs. As I said, this year was a disappointment.

I realize it's kind of pointless to argue any point with you regarding Lang, because for whatever reason he does not fall under your umbrella of optimism you have with the rest of the Wings.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Since you asked...

Arrr, ah, but i am guessin' it is not too much jibberish if you be able t' comprehend and post a response with corrections. ;)IPB Image

Go Langer, Go Sergei, Go Kozzie.

Edited by OsGOD

I couldn't find the giveaway stats, but wasn't Jagr first or second in giveaways? Hmm, I guess he's easy to push off the puck too.

You're not really comparing Lang to Jagr, are you?

Put it this way: Jagr may (I think) have more givaways then Lang, but his point production blows Lang completely out of the water. Their both pretty much even with their lazy defensive play, but since Jagr can produce decent numbers on a consistant basis, there should be no comparison.

Again, like I said before, I would only take Lang if it came down to him or Alexei Yashin. Hopefully it never has to come to that!

You're not really comparing Lang to Jagr, are you?

Put it this way: Jagr may (I think) have more givaways then Lang, but his point production blows Lang completely out of the water. Their both pretty much even with their lazy defensive play, but since Jagr can produce decent numbers on a consistant basis, there should be no comparison.

Again, like I said before, I would only take Lang if it came down to him or Alexei Yashin. Hopefully it never has to come to that!

Not at all.

My main point was that having a lot of giveaways (according to the questionable stats) does not necessarily mean you are easy to move off the puck. Jagr is incredibly strong on the puck, yet he has a massive number of giveaways.

Hey Guys!!! Eklund here. I am going to point all your speculating to rest with my speculating. Lang will stay with the Wings do to his ability to do something. Just take a look at my rumor chart.

Lang Det: 2% Flo 98%

Pay $20 and you can see how my chart will keep you posted way before your friends. As long as your friends don't read the paper or go on the internet for 2 weeks!

Seriously though, I am not sure why we would keep Lang. A couple of clutch goals? I also think Huds is a bit overrated. Just a bit though. He has talent but he is not the coming....

Guest jaytan

He's probably going to end up in Philadelphia.

That was completely random, by the way.

Hudler was 6th on the team in goals, despite playing minimal time all season on the fourth line. Holmstrom and Zetterberg were the only players to score more goals per minute than Hudler.

Hudler's first game with 14 or more minutes played was Feb 27th.

From Feb 27th until the end of the regular season, Hudler played 14 or more minutes 12 times in 19 games. In those 12 games, he posted 5-4-9, +9. Adding in the seven games where he played less than 14 minutes, and he was 6-7-13, +9 in 19 games. Adjust those totals to his 76 games played, and you have 24-28-52, +36 for the full season. .

am i supposed to be offended? the fact that you took as long as you did to refute my comment is more entertaining.

everyone knows you love hudler. let him play an entire season and get pushed off the puck like he did all last year in grand rapids, you'll see what i'm talking about. if not, i'll gladly take a heaping spoonful of humble pie.

this isn't a hudler thread but for lack of keeping on topic already, he's certainly not the answer to size/grit that everyone seems to want.

it's time for lang to move on... open up room for us to play the FA market.

The deal with Lang, despite his size, is is declining hands and speed. The two most important skills for an NHL hockey player are the ability to skate and handle the puck (passing, stickhandling etc.), and Lang's skills in those areas have eroded pretty badly (hence the high # of giveaways). The Wings have plenty of players with better puckhandling and/or skating, so where does that leave Lang? If the Wings *have* to make room to get younger/faster/grittier, as a lot of people are saying, then doesn't it logically follow that the Wings must get rid of the older/slower/softer players? Lang has provided the Wings with some solid, if unexceptional, play, but keeping him around won't improve the Wings any.

Guest Crymson

The season in review from other sources said "he won't be back." Unequivocally.