• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
SinBinHockey

Why does Detroit keep Osgood?

Rate this topic

Why does Detroit even keep Osgood? Is it just in case Hasek gets hurt? The guy could easily be a starter on another team. I kinda feel bad for a guy with 300 wins who has to sit on the bench all season. Even if Hasek retired this season Detroit still wouldn't have started him. I don't understand the point in keeping him why don't the Wings try to get something for him?

Osgood is on the Wings because he wants to be here, and because he is an excellent insurance policy in the event that Hasek's groin acts up on him.

And if Dom weren't here next season, I'd imagine Osgood would at least get a crack at the starter position.

I most definitely agree with the topic starter. He could be a starter elsewhere. Like J-Swift said, he loves it here and it's where his loyalty lies. Ozzie is one of those guys that would take much less money to stay with the Detroit and split a goaltending job, then make more money elsewhere and possibly be starter. He loves it here that much. Honestly sometimes I do wish he was on another team so he can play much more, but then again I'd go insane because Ozzie must remain a Wing forever.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

I thought the same. I was all in defensive mode before I even read the first post.

Yeah i actually had seen your name as the last post which made me think for sure it was another Osgood war!

Yeah i actually had seen your name as the last post which made me think for sure it was another Osgood war!

:lol:

So sad though that everytime Ozzie is brought up it is expected to turn into a war. This thread will be no different. It may start off with good intentions and such, but there are some on here that will turn that around.

I agree with the sentiments echoed thus far. Surprise for sure as well at the actual thread topic. Sometimes I do feel a little bad for him because he could easily start elsewhere, but it's really nice having a guy around who cares more about being part of this team than making money and getting all the glory. He knows he has a role here and he fills it admirably. I'm definitely not going to be upset should he get a chance to run with the starting slot.

I've been saying it since we brought Hasek in for the first time in '02, in all these years, goaltending hasn't really been our issue. We've won when our team consistently scores and lost when we can't catch a break scoring. Year after year sans ONE year when we were sporting a truly mediocre goalie (Legace 05/06) in the playoffs has our issue been one that can be traced to goaltending. I'm not saying Hasek didn't help in '02, but I am saying with Osgood starting, we still win the Cup in '02. Any year Osgood, Cujo or Hasek has started has been a year where we were good enough to win in net and not good enough to win in the opposing teams zone. You can have the greatest goalie in the world, but if you don't score, unless your goalie is completely giving games away like Legace did when he got his shot, you've got a solid chance to win.

...and I'd like to defend myself and others for a moment...just because we echo these sorts of sentiments doesn't necessarily make us blind Osgood lovers. I'm really not so much partial to Osgood so much as partial to the fact that we have far bigger problems than goaltending most years and it'd be nice if more people would start realizing that then pointing fingers at the obvious scapegoats.

I have allways been an Ozzie fan, glad he's been back. He did well elsewhere with s***ier teams. There will allways be the debate if we could of won our 1st cup with him playing instead of Vernon...We won the cup, and thats all that matters...

Edited by Production Line

Osgood is playing the same he's always played. Inconsistent. Sometimes he's amazing, sometimes not. But the guy paid his dues and deserves his spot with the Wings. He's an excellent fall-back guy, and could probably be a starter. He's here, from what I understand, because he genuinely loves the Wings organization and would rather sit on the bench here than start anywhere else. At least, that's what I've heard, that while on other teams, he always wanted to come back here and was never fully happy in those places.

EDIT: Someone made a good point. We never failed in the playoffs due to goaltending, not even with Cujo in net. It's just Detroit's habit to blame the goalie's. We've always failed due to lack of production, lack of physicality, and lack of desire to come back.

All we need to win the cup in any given year is for our offense, defense, and goaltending to click. We've never had a serious goalie problem, though we've liked to blame our goalies because it's easier to pin failure on one person than a whole team.

Edited by VM1138

EDIT: Someone made a good point. We never failed in the playoffs due to goaltending, not even with Cujo in net. It's just Detroit's habit to blame the goalie's. We've always failed due to lack of production, lack of physicality, and lack of desire to come back.

Cujo was a great signing gone wrong due to the goalie-go-round.

His performance in the 2004 playoffs was FANTASTIC. He absolutely stood on his head each and every game. I remember the Wings couldn't score for the life of them. Cujo gave them every chance possible, and till this day I feel so awful for the way he got ran outta town. Especially since he was such a class act.

Cujo was a great signing gone wrong due to the goalie-go-round.

His performance in the 2004 playoffs was FANTASTIC. He absolutely stood on his head each and every game. I remember the Wings couldn't score for the life of them. Cujo gave them every chance possible, and till this day I feel so awful for the way he got ran outta town. Especially since he was such a class act.

Yep...a class act all the way through who got screwed over on so many levels. I'll never get over how he came in to clean up Manny's disaster in '04 and played so well given how things went that year. Clearly our best player at the time and the only reason we had a prayer to win. Again, why didn't we win? Everything BUT goaltending. Then the fans want Legace starting again so he can crumble and throw playoff games away. Good plan. There's only one goalie I've knocked as a starter since Bob Essensa/Tim Cheveladae and that's Manny Legace. He's a backup at best. I won't soon get over that because it proves once again how fickle and ignorant even the more serious fans are in this city.

He's a great back-up for Dom. And if Dom were to go down (God forbid) for a lengthy amount of time, Ozzie could handle all the games he missed and the team and fans would be confident in his abilities. Plus, fans love him and so do his teammates.

That is why he is a Red Wing.

Guest DetroitIan

Im definitely not trying to start anything. But IMO Osgood is a very solid backup. But I honestly don't think he could ever start in Detroit again. Although I could definitely see him starting elsewhere. Just not ever here.

Yep...a class act all the way through who got screwed over on so many levels. I'll never get over how he came in to clean up Manny's disaster in '04 and played so well given how things went that year. Clearly our best player at the time and the only reason we had a prayer to win. Again, why didn't we win? Everything BUT goaltending. Then the fans want Legace starting again so he can crumble and throw playoff games away. Good plan. There's only one goalie I've knocked as a starter since Bob Essensa/Tim Cheveladae and that's Manny Legace. He's a backup at best. I won't soon get over that because it proves once again how fickle and ignorant even the more serious fans are in this city.

Oh man. I remember Cujo was having ankle problems which is why he didn't start Round 1. He had to take cortisone shots to numb the pain. Anywho, I recall the Wings winning Games 1 & 2 and then lost 3 & 4. Manny started Game 5 and midway through Cujo replaced him due to not playing well. He comes in and within the first 5 minutes stops a breakaway and turns the game around. Wings go on to win that game and win the series in 6. Then against the Flames..man was he amazing. It's really sad thinking about it because of how good he was playing with all the drama that happened, and with having ankle problems. And that Game 6 elminitation against the Flames is one I will never forget. Wings lost, but I still think of it as one of the best goaltending performances I've seen since I became a fan. He had some 50 or so saves, and majority of them were high quality scoring chances..and then he made a few amazing saves in the OT. If only they had scored one freaking goal!

This is making me mad thinking back to it now. LOL

Poor Curtis. I still hope he gets to win the Cup. He deserves it.

I'm not saying Hasek didn't help in '02, but I am saying with Osgood starting, we still win the Cup in '02. Any year Osgood, Cujo or Hasek has started has been a year where we were good enough to win in net and not good enough to win in the opposing teams zone. You can have the greatest goalie in the world, but if you don't score, unless your goalie is completely giving games away like Legace did when he got his shot, you've got a solid chance to win.

Have to disagree with you on that. We got bounced in '99, 00, and '01 with Ozzie in net and we needed a big change in '02. Hasek wanted to win a Cup badly - he started off slow in the playoffs (I remember the heart attacks) but ended up strong - outplaying Roy in what was essentially the Cup finals....I'm not saying Osgood was why the Wings were losing, but we needed that change in goal.

I think Osgood could still be a starter - but only on a pretty mediocre to bad team. So essentially it's back-up Hasek on a great team - one he likes and is comfortable with - or start somewhere abyssmal. I certainly fine with him as the b/u but I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting in the playoffs. I'm actually hoping prospects like Howard can get in a fair number of games. Our division sucks so bad it will be worth testing them out even if it means losing a few games...

Have to disagree with you on that. We got bounced in '99, 00, and '01 with Ozzie in net and we needed a big change in '02. Hasek wanted to win a Cup badly - he started off slow in the playoffs (I remember the heart attacks) but ended up strong - outplaying Roy in what was essentially the Cup finals....I'm not saying Osgood was why the Wings were losing, but we needed that change in goal.

I think Osgood could still be a starter - but only on a pretty mediocre to bad team. So essentially it's back-up Hasek on a great team - one he likes and is comfortable with - or start somewhere abyssmal. I certainly fine with him as the b/u but I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting in the playoffs. I'm actually hoping prospects like Howard can get in a fair number of games. Our division sucks so bad it will be worth testing them out even if it means losing a few games...

We got bounced those years because we couldn't score. There's one specific thing that always rings true about Ozzie. He *always* plays very, very well in the post season. I can't think of a single time where the Wings, Isles, or Blues lost due to him. He turns it on big time the second the playoffs start. *I'm not saying you're blaming him or anything..* I'm just throwing it out there.

And I disagree in that he can only be a starter on a mediocre or bad team. Ozzie is a very capable starter. The guy is up there with the best of them career, performance, and state wise. And no I'm not talking about the past. I feel he'd be just as good now.

We got bounced those years because we couldn't score. There's one specific thing that always rings true about Ozzie. He *always* plays very, very well in the post season. I can't think of a single time where the Wings, Isles, or Blues lost due to him. He turns it on big time the second the playoffs start. *I'm not saying you're blaming him or anything..* I'm just throwing it out there.

And I disagree in that he can only be a starter on a mediocre or bad team. Ozzie is a very capable starter. The guy is up there with the best of them career, performance, and state wise. And no I'm not talking about the past. I feel he'd be just as good now.

My point is that with guys like Kiprusoff, Giguere, Luongo, Nabokov, etc starting on the elite teams, Ozzie would have to start on a , what should I call it, a second tier team(?). I think he could start - it's just my opinion it would be somewhere like Chicago (Kabibulin fell off the map) or St Louis, etc.

I like him as a goaltender - I'm not sure he can carry a team in the playoffs anymore though - we just differ on that. Although since he's bound to be the backup here- we'll never know. I think a guy like Hasek, on the other hand, can carry a team. Although, his age and health worry the crap out of me....

Edited by RockyMountainWingGal

Wait a minute...this thread is completely the opposite of what i thought it was gonna be going by its title. Go figure.

I thought the same thing. Probably half the board did too. :P

Ozzie has said he wants to be a starting goalie again, which leaves me to think he might leave when he's a free agent again. I have no problem with him as a backup. Ozzie as a starter though? Not too big on the idea. Mainly because he hasn't done it in quite a while now.

The Adam Berkhoel signing doesn't make me think anything is up, since he's primaraly an AHL goalie or #3 NHL goalie. Now, if the Wings had gone out and signed someone like Jocelyn Thibault or Patrick Lalime, who are both former starters and now reliable veteren backups, then I might think something is up with Ozzie. Guys like I mentioned aren't starting goalies anymore, but are solid backups. If they were signed, then I might think Ozzie is on his way out.

Nevertheless, I don't see him going anywhere. He's under contract as it is, and the Wings should (hopefully) get Hasek under contract and go with the same tandem as last season.

Guest Crymson

Why does Detroit even keep Osgood? Is it just in case Hasek gets hurt? The guy could easily be a starter on another team. I kinda feel bad for a guy with 300 wins who has to sit on the bench all season. Even if Hasek retired this season Detroit still wouldn't have started him. I don't understand the point in keeping him why don't the Wings try to get something for him?

Osgood chose to stay here. He is also, with the departure of Toskala from San Jose, the best backup in the league. Why NOT keep him?