• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DaWingsin071

Alexei Yashin

Rate this topic

Ok for those who keep saying that Fedorov is a money ***** are pretty blind. He left for 4 million less. Detroit offered him 10 million a year and he took 6 mill from the ducks. Next I think Yashin is pretty emberrassed that his contract got bought out and I think he now has something to prove. The isles are talking a lot of bad things about him. Kind of reminds me of a player we now have (Hasek). If he wants to come here and play he will sign for hardly anything and he will prove to the nhl he can still be a premier forward. I say do it, he has the talent, he just needs to choose to use it!

Ok for those who keep saying that Fedorov is a money ***** are pretty blind. He left for 4 million less. Detroit offered him 10 million a year and he took 6 mill from the ducks. Next I think Yashin is pretty emberrassed that his contract got bought out and I think he now has something to prove. The isles are talking a lot of bad things about him. Kind of reminds me of a player we now have (Hasek). If he wants to come here and play he will sign for hardly anything and he will prove to the nhl he can still be a premier forward. I say do it, he has the talent, he just needs to choose to use it!

He didn't play for the Ducks for 6 mill. He played for 9.

Oh, Yashin has size. He's actually 6'3. Normally that'd be just what the Wings need, if not for the fact that Yashin has probably never thrown a body check in his entire life.

I have a question, were you one of the people that wanted to sign Ryan Smyth? If so, did you know that Yashin has outhit Smyth over the last two seasons 78 to 60? And Yashin played in 6 fewer games in the process, 140 to 146. Kinda funny, huh?

I have a question, were you one of the people that wanted to sign Ryan Smyth? If so, did you know that Yashin has outhit Smyth over the last two seasons 78 to 60? And Yashin played in 6 fewer games in the process, 140 to 146. Kinda funny, huh?

Yashin and Smyth pale in comparison to Fedorov's 93 hits in 140 games.

I know I know another Yashin thread, well this time these quotes are a little interesting. Granted this is from a Russian paper not sure how credible it is. But check it out for yourself. http://english.sport-express.ru/news/13_834/

Not sure if someone has posted this or not???. If this move does take place, what do you think???I for one I think Yashin may blossom in Detroit, with some of the supporting cast, he could put up some of his old numbers. I would like this move only if he comes cheap. By the way he is big for some of you who still want grit and touhgness :P

Go WINGS

I don't want to burst anyones bubble but Russian newspapers are worse than the National Enquirer. They routinely make up quotes or go out of their way to misquote people.

This could be true, or it could be the biggest peice of fiction ever written.

My main problem is that I highly doubt Yashin will sign for anything less than $4M, which doesn't seem to be in Detroits budget if it's NOT concerning a true power forward winger. Yashin is big, but he plays small and has had issues his whole career with taking too many nights off and being defensively liable. That's not exactly what this team needs.

Edited by Hank

I have no problem with Yashin's supposed "character issues". Think about it, most of the outside hockey world has said similar things about Hasek.

Yashin's offence would be a huge upgrade over Lang on the 2nd line. And he has one asset that Wings' forwards lack. A world class rocket of a shot. He scores a lot form the slot.

edit: he can play LW.

Zetterberg - Dastyuk - Homer

Yashin - Filpulla - Franzen

Samuelson - Cleary - Grigorenko

Draper - Maltby - Drake

Hudler

Kopecky

The only problem is his defensive play. I can't see him and Babcock getting along basically for this reason, and this reason only.

And he probably wants 4M/yr.

Edited by rick zombo

I have no problem with Yashin's supposed "character issues". Think about it, most of the outside hockey world has said similar things about Hasek.

The difference is that Hasek has done something in his career, Yashin has not.

I'm not opposed to him coming but I don't think it's in our budget or team makeup to add a player like him.

I'd be down with the YashBash if he was signed for cheap, with an incentive laden contract kind of like what Hasek got last year. Sounds reasonable. I believe ultimately he'd be a body, probably on par with Lang. If we had Lang for $1,000,000 per year he wouldnt have been so bad, right? So too Yashin.

1 Million per year w/ lots 'o' Incentives

Yashin and Fedorov on the same team at the same time? I don't think all the banks in the world could pay the salaries that those two alone will demand.

I think she meant to skip out on Yashin, and wait for Feds.

Yes, it's all coming together now. I said I'd rather WAIT to get Sergei then spending on Yashin now. I don't even HATE Yashin like lots do on here, but I'm not thinking that I want him to be a Red Wing.

My main problem is that I highly doubt Yashin will sign for anything less than $4M, which doesn't seem to be in Detroits budget if it's NOT concerning a true power forward winger.

If he doesn't sign for anything less than 4 mil then I guess he won't be playing this season. No team is going to take him at the price. He would of already been acquired if that was the case. My bet is someone, most likely the Wings sign him at around 2-2.5 mil.

Yes, it's all coming together now. I said I'd rather WAIT to get Sergei then spending on Yashin now. I don't even HATE Yashin like lots do on here, but I'm not thinking that I want him to be a Red Wing.

I like him, and think he'd be a good fit, but my oh my can you imagine the bashing he'd get on these boards? If that's why you don't want him here then I most definitely agree. I can already see him being the most bashed player. Even moreso than Lang, Sammy, Lilja..etc..

My main problem is that I highly doubt Yashin will sign for anything less than $4M, which doesn't seem to be in Detroits budget if it's NOT concerning a true power forward winger. Yashin is big, but he plays small and has had issues his whole career with taking too many nights off and being defensively liable. That's not exactly what this team needs.

How come everyone claimed we could afford Ryan Smyth at 6m then? He's no more a power forward than Yashin. Yashin is just as big, strong, and physical as Smyth, and has generally been a better offensive player over their careers. Had Yashin played the same kind of ice Smyth did last season, he'd have had around 27 goals and 75 points. Is Smyth's defensive advantage worth more than the 2m difference between the 6m people wanted to pay him and the 4m people don't want to pay Yashin?

How come everyone claimed we could afford Ryan Smyth at 6m then? He's no more a power forward than Yashin. Yashin is just as big, strong, and physical as Smyth, and has generally been a better offensive player over their careers. Had Yashin played the same kind of ice Smyth did last season, he'd have had around 27 goals and 75 points. Is Smyth's defensive advantage worth more than the 2m difference between the 6m people wanted to pay him and the 4m people don't want to pay Yashin?

Statistically you can maybe compare the two.

edit:

But I think the general the feeling is Smyth brings more intangibles: he plays a griititer style of hockey, and plays with more passion. Stuff that doesn't show up as a number on a stat sheet. I think it's safe to say this. Correct?

But I support aquiring Yashin. Many people seem to overlook the fact that he carried that Islanders team on his back for the first half of last season before he got hurt. Hello? Jason Blake? 40 goals? How do you think that happened?

He would help the Wings. The rest of the team is defensively responsible enough to pick up his slack. (he can't be any worse than Lang for turnovers, and he'll score more).

Do it Kenny!!!!!

Edited by rick zombo

This wouldn't be so bad. Hey, at least we don't need to add so much grit now with having Drake around. Resign Markov and we'll have all the tools of a very successful team.

we'd have to pick him up cheap for me to like the signing. incentive based contracts have been mentioned a number of times. i think that's the only fair way we get a good return on our investment. the guarantee shouldn't be anything to write home about 1.5-2M, with bonuses being available if he actually amounts to anything.

for that cheap, i'd take a risk on a lot of guys.

Statistically you can maybe compare the two.

But I think the general the feeling is Smyth brings more intangibles: he plays a griititer style of hockey, and plays with more passion. Stuff that doesn't show up as a number on a stat sheet. I think it's safe to say this. Correct?

Define grittier. Because it's not about strength or about physical play..Yashin matches Smyth in those areas. Their playoff per-game numbers are similar, so neither is a more effective postseason player than the other. As far as passion, that's difficult to judge unless you are going by birthplace, in which case let's trade Datsyuk for Mike Comrie. Please xplain to me what makes Smyth so much grittier and more passionate when Yashin is more physical and they have comparable playoff numbers.

Define grittier. Because it's not about strength or about physical play..Yashin matches Smyth in those areas. Their playoff per-game numbers are similar, so neither is a more effective postseason player than the other. As far as passion, that's difficult to judge unless you are going by birthplace, in which case let's trade Datsyuk for Mike Comrie. Please xplain to me what makes Smyth so much grittier and more passionate when Yashin is more physical and they have comparable playoff numbers.

C'mon Eva!

You know what I'm talking about. I'm not a Don Cherry type, and I would support and defend signing Yashin. He does have a bad rep that is unwarranted.

And I was never a big Smyth supporter.

I would rather have Yashin on this team for one year at 3M than Smyth for multiple years at 6 or even 5M.

But if both players were offered similar contracts I'd take Smyth over Yashin. He's a "proven" leader (world championships, world cup, olympics, and was a big part of Edmonton's cup final appearence)

Not saying Yashin is incappable of accomplishing some of these things (he's only 33) but so far he hasn't, so that's all you can go by. Right?

I like him, and think he'd be a good fit, but my oh my can you imagine the bashing he'd get on these boards? If that's why you don't want him here then I most definitely agree. I can already see him being the most bashed player. Even moreso than Lang, Sammy, Lilja..etc..

I don't think he'd be BAD for the team, but he definitely frustrated me at times when I watched him on the Islanders... but he's definitely a good player. My thing is that just because I like a player doesn't mean I necessarily want him to come here...especially him...he'll be bashed more than Lang Sammy and Lilja put together I think.

If we could get him, okay....but if it means not having a shot at Sergei, I'd pass. Sergei's a much better all around player.

Oh and for those mentioning incentive-based contracts, I thought I read on another board that you have to be over 35 for performance bonuses. So it is not possible to do for Yashin.

Here it is:

"Players 35 and older as of June 30 in the League Year that they sign a contract may earn performance bonuses, as well as players with 400 or more games played and who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract; however, in these two cases, performance bonuses are only allowed for 1-year contracts. If players in these two categories sign a multi-year contract, they cannot earn performance bonuses."

http://www.nhlscap.com/cap_faq.htm#bonuses

Sadly for some people alot of it has to do with birthplace as silly as that sounds. If cheap enough sure I don't mind, but I'm with Offsides on this one, not at the cost of a shot at Sergei.

Sadly for some people alot of it has to do with birthplace as silly as that sounds. If cheap enough sure I don't mind, but I'm with Offsides on this one, not at the cost of a shot at Sergei.

What's silly is when people like you and Eva assume that some knowlegeable hockey fans view Smyth as being grittier and more hard-nosed than Yashin, simply because he's Canadian and Yashin is Russian.

Guest DetroitIan

Honestly, I dont think we can afford Yashin anyway. Although, It would be nice to have another reliable forward. I never argue with having depth. But like I said. I just dont think we have the scratch to pull Yashin into the winged wheel.

It would be a big mistake to pay over 4 mill for this guy. If he lowers his asking price, then maybe something could come out of it. Otherwise, I dont think this deal is ever going down.

What's silly is when people like you and Eva assume that some knowlegeable hockey fans view Smyth as being grittier and more hard-nosed than Yashin, simply because he's Canadian and Yashin is Russian.

Why's that silly when it's the truth and you know it is.