• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DreamsofHope

A Team To Follow

Rate this topic

I don't really like the idea of cheering for another NHL team. I mean, when I've lived in or near NHL cities in the past, I'd go to as many games as I could and half-heartedly cheer for the local squad (Wild/Canucks) when Detroit wasn't in town. But I didn't really care about the team. It's just more fun to pick sides when you're watching a game, and it seems pretty dick to pick against the home team if you don't have a good reason to.

If you're just looking to watch as much hockey as you can, why not stick to watching all the games they broadcast in your area and pick sides for a three-hour period at a time. :)

I get center ice because all they broadcast here is Avs games and I absolutely hate the avs. Secondly, I would never root against the wings, and don't plan to. But you don't have to root against the team that you love to appreciate something good about another team. I've been watching the wings for 5 years, and know a lot of facts about hockey, but the fact of the matter is I don't get to experience any other part of the game.

I've tried just picking up random games before, but when you don't completely know the team, and don't completely know the players..... you tend not to care. If I had my heart invested, at least somewhat in... say another team, or a team in the east. I feel like I would experience the game of hockey so much more. I feel like I would be able to get satisfaction out of hockey as opposed to just getting satisfaction out of one team.

Thoughts?

Guest jaytan

That's a pretty good justification.

In that case, I say watch the Ducks. For one, they're really good. For two, they play an exciting brand of hockey. For three, you'll be boning up on Detroit's most formidible opponent. And finally, you can do the reverse - instead of cheering for some other team, you can cheer against the same team every time you're not watching a Wings game. :D

It's like that old saying, "My two favorite teams are Michigan and whoever's playing Ohio State."

In that case, I say watch the Ducks. For one, they're really good. For two, they play an exciting brand of hockey. For three, you'll be boning up on Detroit's most formidible opponent. And finally, you can do the reverse - instead of cheering for some other team, you can cheer against the same team every time you're not watching a Wings game. :D

It's like that old saying, "My two favorite teams are Michigan and whoever's playing Ohio State."

Ha ha ha. I like that a lot.

I agree. I mean even if you're following the Ducks just to root against them every game, you're not going to find a more entertaining team to watch that offers everything. They have skill, they hit, they fight a ton, have great goaltending, etc.

Having Center Ice next year, I'm most looking forward to watching the Kings because of JMFJ and Cammalleri. I'm also looking forward to some Penguins games since I didn't get to see Sid The Kid enough last year--and I won't see him play against the Wings this year. :thumbdown:

But yeah, I'm liking that I'll get the Kings games...

-Tim

Having Center Ice next year, I'm most looking forward to watching the Kings because of JMFJ and Cammalleri. I'm also looking forward to some Penguins games since I didn't get to see Sid The Kid enough last year--and I won't see him play against the Wings this year. :thumbdown:

But yeah, I'm liking that I'll get the Kings games...

-Tim

You obvisouly didn't have VS last year. :lol:

I've always liked the Rangers, not sure why, they've got some history and even though they have my nemesis on the team (Sean Avery) they seem like a classy bunch of guys.

Edited by Elshupacabra

The Sharks :)

I know they aren't an eastern team, but they are classy, in my opinion, and have some excellent players like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau.

And the Sharks are just awesome :D

i watch a lot of sharks games as well because i am in the area. they are not a bad team to follow. they are young players that have talent.i wouldn't call them classy though. they are a young team filled with talent. talent that will hopefully find its way on to other teams such as the wings *cough* Vlassic *cough* ;)

Guest jaytan

Pickles?

I'm so jealous of anyone with Centre Ice. I had the week-long preview last year and took full advantage.... But it's just too expensive for me to justify.

I already pay an extra ten bucks or so a month on my satellite bill just to get Versus (and maybe one other channel I ever watch), but I can't afford the whole package. :(

Pickles?

I'm so jealous of anyone with Centre Ice. I had the week-long preview last year and took full advantage.... But it's just too expensive for me to justify.

I already pay an extra ten bucks or so a month on my satellite bill just to get Versus (and maybe one other channel I ever watch), but I can't afford the whole package. :(

of course pickles! that kid is going to be a top d-man in years. i would love to see him in a wings jersey. he already said that the red wings were his favorite team growing up.

Guest DetroitIan

Pickles?

It's really not too shabby if you get the early-bird special. It's like $129. And you get the whole season and the first two rounds of the playoffs. Its so worth it. The only problem is, it makes you never wanna leave the house at night. :lol:

Guest jaytan

Hmmmm.... If I drop down to the lower tier of channels and get rid of Versus, that saves me $120 a year. And if I add Center Ice, I'll only be nine bucks in the red....

The only thing I lose is a 12-pack of beer and History International. Not bad!

Guest DetroitIan

Hmmmm.... If I drop down to the lower tier of channels and get rid of Versus, that saves me $120 a year. And if I add Center Ice, I'll only be nine bucks in the red....

The only thing I lose is a 12-pack of beer and History International. Not bad!

Amen! :lol:

Sorry I couldn't add more, but there is not an ounce in my body that could ever root for any team besides the Red Wings. I do enjoy watching the Senators though, mainly because I am a huge Jason Spezza fan. For pure hockey enjoyment, it's hard not to watch the Penguins if they are on.

Guest DetroitIan

Sorry I couldn't add more, but there is not an ounce in my body that could ever root for any team besides the Red Wings. I do enjoy watching the Senators though, mainly because I am a huge Jason Spezza fan. For pure hockey enjoyment, it's hard not to watch the Penguins if they are on.

See for me Its not even about rooting on other teams(cause I truly only root for the Red Wings). But even without rooting, its still a total blast to watch almost any NHL game. Its just fun watching a high level of hockey, even if it isnt the Wings. And you can always root against teams that you hate. Center Ice is great for fans of the Red Wings and hockey in general. :thumbup:

Probably the Penguins. everyone has already listed them. Young and super talented, they'll be awesome for many years.

But you might want to check out the Flyers too. They've made some great moves since the deadline last season. Added a bunch of great young defensemen (Kukkonen, Coburn, Parent) traded for a couple of veteran d-men (Timonen and Smith). Up front they brought in youth (Upshall, Hartnell) and star power (Briere). Plus they upgraded in Net with Biron.

ultimately, the best choice is to get the Center Ice package. When the Preds aren't playing I can watch center ice to keep up with rivals (Wings, Blues, Jackets, Hawks) and check out what other teams in the league are doing. Usually I just root for a good game and watch with more of an objective eye, kind of scouting the league. It's entertainment and I don't have to get emotionally attached to another team.

See for me Its not even about rooting on other teams(cause I truly only root for the Red Wings). But even without rooting, its still a total blast to watch almost any NHL game. Its just fun watching a high level of hockey, even if it isnt the Wings. And you can always root against teams that you hate. Center Ice is great for fans of the Red Wings and hockey in general. :thumbup:

Good point. I enjoy watching hockey regardless of the teams playing, but I truly only get excited when the Red Wings are on. Just me personally, but if the Pistons or college football is on, I will watch that over two random hockey teams playing. I like your point though about rooting against teams that you hate. Always a good time. :)

The Sharks :)

I know they aren't an eastern team, but they are classy, in my opinion, and have some excellent players like Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau.

And the Sharks are just awesome :D

I'll give you that much- I really did enjoy the Sharks series this year- it was tough as hell.

Usually I just root for a good game and watch with more of an objective eye, kind of scouting the league. It's entertainment and I don't have to get emotionally attached to another team.

True enough. I agree that hockey has a different feel when you're not emotionally connected.

I like to watch teams that employ former Wings. :lol: I like Atlanta because of Kozy :D

I support Buffalo myself, since I really respect the fans there and how much they love their team.

:clap: I've been getting into them a little more and more in the past couple seasons. I really doubt this year will be as good as the last 2 though.