• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DetroitIan

The ESPY's

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitIan

Just reminding anyone who wants to watch. The ESPY Awards just started a few min ago at 9. It's on ESPN(as if that needs to be said, lol). Kimmel and Lebron should be a pretty funny combo!

Guest DetroitIan

Kimmel calling Greg Oden, "Grady" from Sanford and Son was priceless. lol!

Guest DetroitIan

Thanks for the update, but I won't be watching. espn sucks balls!!

Hockey-wise yeah. But if you're an overall sports fan. It should be a pretty good show. It has been so far. :thumbup:

This is the encore isnt it? I couldve sworn it was already on...not that i watched it the first time anyway.

No, this is the first time its been on. However, they did show several clips of the show during the past week. So I know its definitely not live.

Hockey-wise yeah. But if you're an overall sports fan. It should be a pretty good show. It has been so far. :thumbup:

No, this is the first time its been on. However, they did show several clips of the show during the past week. So I know its definitely not live.

aaaaaaaah that explains it! Yeah i had just seen the clips.

This is the encore isnt it? I couldve sworn it was already on...not that i watched it the first time anyway.

It was taped sometime last week.

Stopped watching it when ESPN did the recaps on the champion teams of the season and did not include the NHL's winning moments (like I would really care to see it but the ommission of it totally pissed me off).

Stopped watching it when ESPN did the recaps on the champion teams of the season and did not include the NHL's winning moments (like I would really care to see it but the ommission of it totally pissed me off).
Yeah, I hear ya Vladiator. At least Wayne presented the last award of the night.

Ya it sucks that ESPN doesn't pay much to hockey but they did when it was one their network. you know before everyone went on strike and bettmen decided that OLN would be a better fit for the NHL to be on. ESPN, had shows dedicated to hockey back when it was on ESPN. so its not their fault bettmen cut it.

Thanks for the update, but I won't be watching. espn sucks balls!!

I was listening to Foxsports radio on the the way into work this morning. Steve Czaben (sp?) was reading an article that slammed ESPN pretty good. It read that since ESPN has cozied up to the material that it covers, it can't be taken seriously. And the authors right. How can you take anything ESPN says to heart when it bends over backwards to kiss every athletes ass it covers? The whole concept of the ESPY's only proves this point. They created an award ceremony where their analysts can schmooze with every athlete, manager and owner and give them shiny awards telling them how great they are. For that reason, you'll very rarely see any ESPN sportscaster ask tough questions or call out athletes when they've done something absurd or broken rules.

I'm still shocked that there isn't 1 other Sports channel out there to challenge ESPN. Sports is a multi-biillion dollar industry and we only have 1 channel to turn to? There's 4938 food channels out there but only 1 sports?

I wish Fox or CNN/SI, or even VS would get in the act. We need variety. In fact, I think Fox or CNN/SI have the potential to be far more subjective in their reporting because they don't have any sports programming themselves. There's no need to kiss the NFL or NBA's ass if you're not broadcasting them.

The whole "Playmakers" debacle shows you exactly how much power leagues like the NFL have over what ESPN is allowed to show. It's about time the people got a sports show that asked questions or reported news that real people are interested in.

Edited by Hank

I was listening to Foxsports radio on the the way into work this morning. Steve Czaben (sp?) was reading an article that slammed ESPN pretty good. It read that since ESPN has cozied up to the material that it covers, it can't be taken seriously. And the authors right. How can you take anything ESPN says to heart when it bends over backwards to kiss every athletes ass it covers? The whole concept of the ESPY's only proves this point. They created an award ceremony where their analysts can schmooze with every athlete, manager and owner and give them shiny awards telling them how great they are. For that reason, you'll very rarely see any ESPN sportscaster ask tough questions or call out athletes when they've done something absurd or broken rules.

I'm still shocked that there isn't 1 other Sports channel out there to challenge ESPN. Sports is a multi-biillion dollar industry and we only have 1 channel to turn to? There's 4938 food channels out there but only 1 sports?

I wish Fox or CNN/SI, or even VS would get in the act. We need variety. In fact, I think Fox or CNN/SI have the potential to be far more subjective in their reporting because they don't have any sports programming themselves. There's no need to kiss the NFL or NBA's ass if you're not broadcasting them.

The whole "Playmakers" debacle shows you exactly how much power leagues like the NFL have over what ESPN is allowed to show. It's about time the people got a sports show that asked questions or reported news that real people are interested in.

You said it and yeah f*ck espn.... :thumbdown:

The whole "Playmakers" debacle shows you exactly how much power leagues like the NFL have over what ESPN is allowed to show.

what was the playmakers debacle?

what was the playmakers debacle?

ESPN had a great show called "Playmakers" which centered around a pro football team and all the issues the players were involved with:

- infidelity

- drug use

- *** player

- competition in the locker room

I believe when they made this show, they interviewed and worked with some former NFL players to make it authentic. A lot of guys said the show was very, very close to how things were in real life.

The NFL detested how their league was shown in a sometimes negative light so they told ESPN to either cancel the show or ABC/ESPN would not get rights to games in the future. Bye-Bye "Playmakers".

ESPN had a great show called "Playmakers" which centered around a pro football team and all the issues the players were involved with:

- infidelity

- drug use

- *** player

- competition in the locker room

I believe when they made this show, they interviewed and worked with some former NFL players to make it authentic. A lot of guys said the show was very, very close to how things were in real life.

The NFL detested how their league was shown in a sometimes negative light so they told ESPN to either cancel the show or ABC/ESPN would not get rights to games in the future. Bye-Bye "Playmakers".

i wondered whatever happened to that show i liked it. thats stupid, where would the NFL go there is no other sports cable channel

i wondered whatever happened to that show i liked it. thats stupid, where would the NFL go there is no other sports cable channel

Right now Fox has rights to show NFC games, CBS gets the AFC games while ABC/ESPN have rights for Sunday night and Monday night football games (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If they wanted to, I suppose the NFL could sell the Sunday and Monday night games to CBS.

In the end, I guess it's no different than when the major TV and newspaper outlets rarely ask the President tough questions for fear that they'll never be invited back for future news conferences or interviews.

ESPN is a ***** and slave to it's programming contracts.

Edited by Hank

Right now Fox has rights to show NFC games, CBS gets the AFC games while ABC/ESPN have rights for Sunday night and Monday night football games (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If they wanted to, I suppose the NFL could sell the Sunday and Monday night games to CBS.

In the end, I guess it's no different than when the major TV and newspaper outlets rarely ask the President tough questions for fear that they'll never be invited back for future news conferences or interviews.

ESPN is a ***** and slave to it's programming contracts.

NBC has the sunday night game espn monday night. But i heard a rumor that playmakers was going to be on HBO but i dont believe it. After they took playmakers off the air basically the only good show on espn is Pardon the Interruption, and the Bronx is Burning was pretty good on tuesday. But yankeebadabing was right until this year when did sportscenter ever show arena football highlights? The answer is never maybe 10 seconds for the championship game but now espn is shoving arena football down our throats just like the redsox vs yankees series. Espn sucks :thumbdown: