• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zion

Do you play hockey?

Rate this topic

I started playing rollerhockey back in 1998 and have been playing ice hockey as well since 2000. So, I have almost 9 years under my belt in the sport. I never had interest in the sport until I went to college and then I wanted to play it but I didn't know how to skate. It wasn't until I graduated in 1997 when I could afford to play. Took me a while to save up for the equipment. What position did I choose? Goaltender. I am double jointed in my knees and have a great butterfly. I thought I could excel at the position.

My first year was the hardest. I couldn't skate, so I had that to contend with. At the same time, I was playing rollerhockey to start so I couldn't slide. After I learned to skate, it was a lot easier. I had success playing rollerhockey, and started playing ice hockey where I found that to be a lot easier. The ice times though were harder for me since I had to be up at 6am and the games were 10pm or 11:15pm in the fall, winter, and spring. I need at least 6-7 hours of sleep to be productive, so if I don't get home and into bed until midnight or 1am you do the math.

Today I still play both. I play ice hockey 2 times a week and roller 2 times a week. I play year round and even sub in when I can. My wife is very supportive of me and I appreciate that a lot cause I love the sport. Since I didn't get started until I was 26, I feel like I am running against the clock in terms of how good I will be. Now I am 35 and while my body is holding up well with all the exercise, there is part of me that wonders how long I will be able to keep up this pace. Eventually, I might have to take more days off a week than 2-3. :)

In my short 9 year career, I have captured 18 hockey season championships and I hope I have a few more left in me before I hit 40. I have been very fortunate to play on some good teams, and also to have more than a few bounces go my way at times. Its been a great time playing!

I blog almost all of my experiences and I have had some great photos taken of my games that I have posted online. I look back at these and just reminisce at times. To me, the memories I have made are important. Almost every memory I have of hockey is positive. The friendships, winning, and that great save I made in the regular season or playoffs. A couple bad memories linger around like the shot that went in off my back from behind the net that proved to be the game winner in the finals last season. I just can't forget those, but those memories remind me to stick tight against the post so its more of a learning experience.

Some people asked why I started playing in the first place. It was a simple decision actually. I loved hockey, but I didn't want to be that fan that ******* at the team, player, referee, penalty, goaltender, or a play that is run without knowing the game from the inside. You all know what kind of fans these people are. When you play the game, you have a whole new level of expectations. You can see plays develop right in front of your eyes and there are times I can tell if a goal is going to be scored or not. Playing the sport just helps you appreciate it even more when you are a spectator.

My hockey and life journal

My photo gallery

To the OP, I hope you get into the game. Its a blast to play and you will have a great time doing it. :)

I've been playing hockey since I was about about 5 or 6. I still play it from time-to-time. I was never able to join an iced hockey team which is something that I have always wanted to do, but I've been on roller hockey teams which was fun and I usually got some big roller hockey games going up at this church with some friends of mine.

For a while all I would play is goalie, but I usually play any position now. I think my strongest position is when I play left wing.

I am still hoping to get on an iced hockey team soon.

I play once or twice a week in the winter. My regular team plays Fridays or Wednesdays in Hazel Park and I sometimes sub in an Over-30 league in Southfield. I also coach a travel team, the Southfield Warriors Bantam A.

Guest REDWINGS4LYFE

i live in canada i can't skate :( i play football though im awsome at that, i am awsome at baseball 2 even though its a boring game,

When I was younger, I always had a fascination with hockey, but there was no way we could afford to play. When I got into Junior High, me and a large group of my friends got together and played street hockey for hours after school for about three days a week. When I was 14, a roller/dekhockey rink opened up. It was a tough start... I was on a team with a bunch of kids who had never played together and had minimal skills. I felt lke District 5 on the Mighty Ducks... we even lost a game 35-0. Through the years I played on good teams and some of the laughing stocks and put togeter a 50+ point season (11 game) season which was easily a personal best. I've played roller hockey on and off for the last 15 years. The local roller hockey rink closed down last year so my only option was to get on the ice.

I've recently got "hockey fever," so I started researching some of the local leagues around here. I found a developmental program here called World League. Basically, it's like a drop in session that you play with the same group of people each week. At the start of the week, the manager randomly divides the teams up to white/dark so you play with the same group but on a different team each week. Some of the players are better than others, but everyone is pretty patient with each others skill level. I've only been into it for a couple weeks now, but I'm enjoying it. Once I get more comfortable of the ice I want to find a lower adult league to get into. It's something that I feel I want to stick with... and hell, I'd be stupid not to, I work for Easton so I'm the best dressed person out there... it's unfortunate that my skill level doesn't match what my equipment leads on :blush:

It's good to hear about everyones experiences and stories.

Hey Mannysbetter, who do you play for in the ACHA? My good ol community college is having our inaugural year for a team and we're in the ACHA.

In regards to my history in hockey, I started out playing roller hockey at 6 and played till I was 10, then came the ice. I've played on the ice for 10 years now, going through house, high school, and Midget Major AA and now some decent D3 college hockey. I've been in contact with a few ECHL scouts and AHL scouts, but regardless I need to get into a bit better shape before they'll take me in.

This is the greatest sport in the world, no other sport requires you to learn another base skill like skating, everything else involves running, but not OUR game.

Ive been playing since I was ab out 7, Im currently down In Virginia playing D1 Club for the Liberty Flames in the Acha where we compete pretty well. Im heading in too my junior year and still looking for a national title.... haha hopefully I have one coming... I saw someone else plays in the ACHA who ever that was who you play for... and what level...???

Division 2, Ferris State.

Hey Mannysbetter, who do you play for in the ACHA? My good ol community college is having our inaugural year for a team and we're in the ACHA.

Look right above. What school are you playing for, and is it ACHA D1, 2, or 3?

I haven't played organized puck in years but I got a message out of the blue yesterday. The UW men's coach wants to lure me onto the team. :crazy: I'm hellishly busy as a grad student and think I'm going to have to decline because I don't have the time to be an effective player, but I dunno, I'm still young enough (26) to kick some ass.