• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lidstromfan5

A "Fresh Take" on the cap space

Rate this topic

:lol:

Most people just read the negative posts and assume Feds must be really down hill given that and his age. Few people actually check the stats to see that he's still nearly a point-per-game player. I wish we had enough top six talent that 06-07 Feds couldn't break the squad.

Honestly- who actually believes he's going to be making more then 3 mill after this season? Or that we don't need a ~50pt player who plays mind-numbingly good D, fantastic PP and PK and all three forward positions?

Rolston's a player in Shanahan's mold, no question. And exactly the kind of player the Wings need.

Unfortunately he's also the exact kind of player 29 other teams want. He'd get a s***-ton of offers.

Rolston and Shanny have nothing in common at this or any other point in their careers. Rolston is a better all around player, but Shanny is more of a pure goal scorer and more physical. As for the Wings, I'd much rather have Shanny, because we need a right handed shot on the slot for the PP. But since it's doubtful that we'll have either one, all we're doing is just speculating about unrealistic matters.

Ya, if we had Gaborik we would win the cup, he is just that freaking good. That will just never happen though.

I have wanted Rolston for so long, and he is making just about what Draper makes and there is no reason why he is going to/should want a huge raise at his age.

Ya, if we had Gaborik we would win the cup, he is just that freaking good. That will just never happen though.

I have wanted Rolston for so long, and he is making just about what Draper makes and there is no reason why he is going to/should want a huge raise at his age.

Rolston signed with Minnesota in the summer of 2004. Since then, he has had the two best seasons of his career. He signed his contract as a 55-60 point player coming off a down year, and delivered an average of 72 points per season. A comparable two-way player who is of similar age(31-year old Chris Drury) just went for a ridiculous amount in free agency...would it be unreasonable to suggest Rolston should make close to what Drury makes, or even HALF of what Drury makes? Last season, he made a third of what Drury signed for...why should he not get a raise?

Ok, I have thought long and hard about this extra cap space. First of all, I am all for getting a top 6 forward not named Fedorov or Forsberg. Secondly I am not for signing someone in free agency, nobody out there really stands out as a gamer in my eyes, the one player I would have hoped for was Smyth and he is gone. So I have considered every option out there and this is my view on the situation. Brian Rolston is a free agent after this season. Currently he is making 2.5 million or close to somewhere in that neighborhood. First of all for those people who dont know Rolston but most of you should, he plays for the Wild, has tremendous speed, a extremely powerful shot, and is basically a beast at killing penalties. For those people out there who love big guys, Brian brings it, he is 6'2 210-215 lbs. He is basically a 30 goal scorer every year on a defense first Wild team. One thing is that he is 34 which is not old but is definantly getting up there. He is not necessarily a great passer, but if he is on a line with Filpulla or Datsyuk he wont need to be. Ok, so here is my plan, also if in a perfect world this could happen we would also have money left for a depth defenseman. I say around the time Minnesota is out of the playoff hunt which may or may not happen we do whatever possible to package a deal to get Rolston. He is basically what the wings need. A top six forward with size who can score. Now I have no idea what the Wild would want for him but I frankly would not care all that much. I mean there are obvious exceptions like Datsyuk, Zetterberg or any young player out there. But at the deadline if he is available it shouldn't take to much to get him. Now if he resigns during the season then just forget all about this, and if he goes into free agency I say give it a shot, he could do like Rafalski and take a hometown discount as he is from Flint. Ok, that is my take. I am open to all criticism but hey at least I am not saying sign Forsberg or Fedorov.

Here's why theres no way Rolston is coming here. First off, its pretty unlikely Minnesota will be so down in the standings that they have no shot at the playoffs. I think at worst, they wouldnt be more than 6-8pts out. But lets say, for sake of argument, that they are considering being sellers. Brian Rolston would immediately become one of the top sought after names available. Over the last 2 seasons, we have seen zero reason to believe Holland will get in a bidding war and trump other teams' offers. It does not matter what cap space you have unless you're willing to pony up the high draft picks and prospects. Most likely, they'll throw out a lame feeler offer, and we'll be hearing the same "Prices are too high right now" spiel. Someone else would throw up a big offer and get him.

Guest Crymson

Ok, I misread this whole thing.

Regardless, better options will be available next postseason, and we don't even know how much we'll need to be paying Zetterberg or Lidstrom. It's a gray area.

Edited by Crymson

Ok, I misread this whole thing.

Regardless, better options will be available next postseason, and we don't even know how much we'll need to be paying Zetterberg or Lidstrom. It's a gray area.

Oh I think you know how much we'll be paying Z and Lidstrom... :sly:

Heatley....riiiiiight.

I'm holding out for Ovechkin and Crosby.

Dany Heatley is a free agent next summer and if he decides not to re-sign with Ottawa then we have just as much of a chance of picking him up as any other team. Maybe more considering there are only about 7 or 8 other teams with less money committed next year than us.

Now I know that everyone is going to freak out about the fact that we need to plan ahead for Hank's new contract, but be real. Dany Heatley is better at almost every facet of the game than Hank and given the choice between the two, every GM in the league would pick Heatley over Zetterberg.

Edited by Bannedforlife

Dany Heatley is a free agent next summer and if he decides not to re-sign with Ottawa then we have just as much of a chance of picking him up as any other team. Maybe more considering there are only about 7 or 8 other teams with less money committed next year than us.

Now I know that everyone is going to freak out about the fact that we need to plan ahead for Hank's new contract, but be real. Dany Heatley is better at almost every facet of the game than Hank and given the choice between the two, every GM in the league would pick Heatley over Zetterberg.

I think you need to be real. If Dany Heatley is not signed at the deadline HE WILL NOT BE TRADED. Ottawa has just as good a chance to win the cup this year as any other high-end team does. Good goaltending, good defense that will only improve over the year, and awesome offense. Muckler will risk losing Heatley for nothing if it means he has as good a shot at the cup as he did last year, which is to say at least as good a chance as Anaheim, Detroit, and NYR if you wanted to put them in that category.

As for Dany Heatley, hes never played on a line without somebody named Spezza, Alfredsson, Savard, or Kovalchuk and never played in the defense-first West. Lets see him carry Homer and Sammy and hit 80+ points. Hes never carried a line on his own and he is FAR from the two-way player Hank is. On top of that, hell cost at least 1M more than Hank will.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I think you need to be real. If Dany Heatley is not signed at the deadline HE WILL NOT BE TRADED. Ottawa has just as good a chance to win the cup this year as any other high-end team does. Good goaltending, good defense that will only improve over the year, and awesome offense. Muckler will risk losing Heatley for nothing if it means he has as good a shot at the cup as he did last year, which is to say at least as good a chance as Anaheim, Detroit, and NYR if you wanted to put them in that category.

As for Dany Heatley, hes never played on a line without somebody named Spezza, Alfredsson, Savard, or Kovalchuk and never played in the defense-first West. Lets see him carry Homer and Sammy and hit 80+ points. Hes never carried a line on his own and he is FAR from the two-way player Hank is. On top of that, hell cost at least 1M more than Hank will.

Number 1 - Please show me exactly where I said we should TRADE for Dany Heatley. You cant because I never said that. I said that he'll be a free agent next summer and that we have just as much of a chance of signing him as anyone else. (if he doesn't re-sign with Ottawa)

Number 2 - He's also never played with Pavel Datsyuk before, who is just as good if not better than all four of those guys mentioned (Marc Savard??? Please, if anyone was being carried on that line it definitely wasn't Heatley) Furthermore, why would you put Heatley on a line with Homer and Sammy anyway??? Do you even watch hockey or do you just spend all your time posting non-sense on this forum?

Number 3 - Dany Heatley is EXACTLY the kind of player this team needs according to probably 90% of the people who post here. He is a big, young, GRITTY, goal scoring beast, and he just so happens to play WING. We have too many centers on this team and in GR and not enough FINISHERS. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't you one of the people who won't shut up about this team being too small and not having enough grit??? Well, here is our opportunity and he would do alot more for our chances than signing Arron Asham.

Number 4 - He would cost at least 1 million more than Hank because HE IS WORTH IT!!! I'm sorry, but if you have a chance to lock up Dany Heatley long term, you do it. You worry about your second line center when the time comes (which wouldn't be until AFTER we win the 08-09 Stanley Cup, thank you very much)

Number 1 - Please show me exactly where I said we should TRADE for Dany Heatley. You cant because I never said that. I said that he'll be a free agent next summer and that we have just as much of a chance of signing him as anyone else. (if he doesn't re-sign with Ottawa)

Number 2 - He's also never played with Pavel Datsyuk before, who is just as good if not better than all four of those guys mentioned (Marc Savard??? Please, if anyone was being carried on that line it definitely wasn't Heatley) Furthermore, why would you put Heatley on a line with Homer and Sammy anyway??? Do you even watch hockey or do you just spend all your time posting non-sense on this forum?

Number 3 - Dany Heatley is EXACTLY the kind of player this team needs according to probably 90% of the people who post here. He is a big, young, GRITTY, goal scoring beast, and he just so happens to play WING. We have too many centers on this team and in GR and not enough FINISHERS. And if I'm not mistaken, aren't you one of the people who won't shut up about this team being too small and not having enough grit??? Well, here is our opportunity and he would do alot more for our chances than signing Arron Asham.

Number 4 - He would cost at least 1 million more than Hank because HE IS WORTH IT!!! I'm sorry, but if you have a chance to lock up Dany Heatley long term, you do it. You worry about your second line center when the time comes (which wouldn't be until AFTER we win the 08-09 Stanley Cup, thank you very much)

1. We are talking about deadline acquisitions. Whetever cap space we have will be irrelevant come July 1st - Do YOU know anything about hockey, because you should know that a player can be signed up to 1 year prior to becoming a UFA. Ken Holland can sign Henrik Zetterberg to an extension on July 1st, 2008 and, per Holland himself, he is going to do exactly that. So, No. We dont have as good a chance to sign him as anyone else. Thanks for playing.

2. How often has Zetterberg played with Datsyuk?? Oh yeah, for a grand total of 30 games last year. What pace was he scoring at when he was playing with Datsyuk?? On pace for 124 points in 82 games. How many points did Zetterberg score while playing an entire season with Holmstrom and Samuelsson as his wingers? 84. Who would Heatley be playing with? Datsyuk and maybe Homer, who is nothing next to Kovalchuk or Alfredsson.

3. Yeah, Marc Savard sucks absolute ass. Thats why he moved to Boston where the next big offensive forces are a rookie Kessel who was out half the season with cancer of all things and Glen Murray, who also missed significant time. How many points did Savard put up?? 96 points. Only 1 less than his career high, which came while playing with Kovalchuk and Hossa. But, again, thanks for playing.

4. Heatley would only cost 1M more than Hank if he were to be re-signed. On the open market, Heatley will get 10M on a cap average. Thats AT LEAST 3M more than signing Zetterberg who, maybe only has 95% of Heatleys scorers touch and not the grit that Heatley has, but is MILES ahead as a two-way player, has great leadership skills, and has already professed loyalty and dedication to the Wings. SOME GMs might take Heatley over Zetterberg, but ALL GMs looking to create a balanced roster would take Zetterberg AND Rolston at 11M over Heatley at 10M.

YoungGuns,

A man can dream can't he!??!!?!?!?!?

Yeah, they can, its just that they overpaid to get Demitra in the first place. And of all the guys in the NHL Gabby wanted to play with, Demitra was it. Given that Gaborik has the potential to be the best player in the NHL if healthy, its pretty unlikely that theyll sell Demitra off.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Here's why theres no way Rolston is coming here. First off, its pretty unlikely Minnesota will be so down in the standings that they have no shot at the playoffs. I think at worst, they wouldnt be more than 6-8pts out. But lets say, for sake of argument, that they are considering being sellers. Brian Rolston would immediately become one of the top sought after names available. Over the last 2 seasons, we have seen zero reason to believe Holland will get in a bidding war and trump other teams' offers. It does not matter what cap space you have unless you're willing to pony up the high draft picks and prospects. Most likely, they'll throw out a lame feeler offer, and we'll be hearing the same "Prices are too high right now" spiel. Someone else would throw up a big offer and get him.

I agree that the Wild will probably be in the playoffs, but I think the chance of getting Rolston in the off-season could happen if Zetterberg is locked up on July 1st, which is most likely, and Lidstrom is locked up prior to July 1st. We could argue all day about whether or not both those guys would be signed by then or whether theyd take less than expected, but the bottom line is that Rolston is definitely a Babcock/Holland guy. Hes not a cheapshotter or a fighter but he does have a ton of speed - sure to please Holland. And hes a hard-working, defense-oriented, complete player, the kind that Babs loves.

1. We are talking about deadline acquisitions. Whetever cap space we have will be irrelevant come July 1st - Do YOU know anything about hockey, because you should know that a player can be signed up to 1 year prior to becoming a UFA. Ken Holland can sign Henrik Zetterberg to an extension on July 1st, 2008 and, per Holland himself, he is going to do exactly that. So, No. We dont have as good a chance to sign him as anyone else. Thanks for playing.

2. How often has Zetterberg played with Datsyuk?? Oh yeah, for a grand total of 30 games last year. What pace was he scoring at when he was playing with Datsyuk?? On pace for 124 points in 82 games. How many points did Zetterberg score while playing an entire season with Holmstrom and Samuelsson as his wingers? 84. Who would Heatley be playing with? Datsyuk and maybe Homer, who is nothing next to Kovalchuk or Alfredsson.

3. Yeah, Marc Savard sucks absolute ass. Thats why he moved to Boston where the next big offensive forces are a rookie Kessel who was out half the season with cancer of all things and Glen Murray, who also missed significant time. How many points did Savard put up?? 96 points. Only 1 less than his career high, which came while playing with Kovalchuk and Hossa. But, again, thanks for playing.

4. Heatley would only cost 1M more than Hank if he were to be re-signed. On the open market, Heatley will get 10M on a cap average. Thats AT LEAST 3M more than signing Zetterberg who, maybe only has 95% of Heatleys scorers touch and not the grit that Heatley has, but is MILES ahead as a two-way player, has great leadership skills, and has already professed loyalty and dedication to the Wings. SOME GMs might take Heatley over Zetterberg, but ALL GMs looking to create a balanced roster would take Zetterberg AND Rolston at 11M over Heatley at 10M.

1) If Ken Holland's first order of business when he wakes up on July 1st 2008 is to call up Hank's agent and work out an extension, HE WILL BE FIRED. I guarantee you that Zetterberg won't be re-signed until at least January 2009, to do so before that makes no sense and is poor business management. Also, this whole philosophy of saving cap space in order to re-sign a player over 2 years from now is completely ridiculous and is frankly getting pretty annoying. If we have extra money right now we should use it in order to address one of our weaknesses right now.

2) I don't know what your point is with this one, except maybe to exhibit your ability to perform simple arithmetic. Good job. You could put Dany Heatley and Pavel Datsyuk on a line with a monkey on skates and they'd all put up 100 points. Yes, they're that good.

3) Again, what's your point? I hope you're not trying to imply out of Savard, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Datsyuk, Spezza and Alfredsson, that Marc Savard is the big swinging dick. Because I'd hate for you to look silly.

4) On July 1st, 2008 one of two things are going to happen for Dany Heatley. He is either going to sign with a perennial cellar dweller for 10 million or he is going to sign with a REAL cup contender for 8-8.5 million (which is exactly what Sidney Crosby just signed his extension for). How is Heatley and Rolston at 12 million any more unbalanced than Zetterberg and Rolston at 11 million?

The more that I think about it, the more I'd really like to see something like this happen. First of all, Hank's already starting to have problems with his back, which we all know can have devastating effects on your career (Eric Daze anyone?) I don't see the point in committing to a long term contract with someone who is already starting to have problems at such an early age. Secondly, signing Heatley and Rolston would finally shut up everybody who go on and on about us being too small, too soft, too whatever. I don't understand the logic when you talk about being too small and weak and then you freak out whenever someone suggests getting rid of one of our small, weak forwards.

Rolston next to Thornton was Boston's biggest mistake. He was a fan favorite and a very talented player.

He would be a great top 6 forward for this team. Put him with Dats or Zata that is nice.

1) If Ken Holland's first order of business when he wakes up on July 1st 2008 is to call up Hank's agent and work out an extension, HE WILL BE FIRED. I guarantee you that Zetterberg won't be re-signed until at least January 2009, to do so before that makes no sense and is poor business management. Also, this whole philosophy of saving cap space in order to re-sign a player over 2 years from now is completely ridiculous and is frankly getting pretty annoying. If we have extra money right now we should use it in order to address one of our weaknesses right now.

2) I don't know what your point is with this one, except maybe to exhibit your ability to perform simple arithmetic. Good job. You could put Dany Heatley and Pavel Datsyuk on a line with a monkey on skates and they'd all put up 100 points. Yes, they're that good.

3) Again, what's your point? I hope you're not trying to imply out of Savard, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Hossa, Datsyuk, Spezza and Alfredsson, that Marc Savard is the big swinging dick. Because I'd hate for you to look silly.

4) On July 1st, 2008 one of two things are going to happen for Dany Heatley. He is either going to sign with a perennial cellar dweller for 10 million or he is going to sign with a REAL cup contender for 8-8.5 million (which is exactly what Sidney Crosby just signed his extension for). How is Heatley and Rolston at 12 million any more unbalanced than Zetterberg and Rolston at 11 million?

The more that I think about it, the more I'd really like to see something like this happen. First of all, Hank's already starting to have problems with his back, which we all know can have devastating effects on your career (Eric Daze anyone?) I don't see the point in committing to a long term contract with someone who is already starting to have problems at such an early age. Secondly, signing Heatley and Rolston would finally shut up everybody who go on and on about us being too small, too soft, too whatever. I don't understand the logic when you talk about being too small and weak and then you freak out whenever someone suggests getting rid of one of our small, weak forwards.

Why the hell would Holland be fired?? Are you REALLY that stupid??? Do you KNOW that Zetterberg can be signed on July 1st, 2008, and that his contract wont take effect until his old contract is expired???

Youre whole point is that we should sign Heatley. Im countering that moronic logic by saying Zetterberg is just as good a player as Heatley, will cost us less, and that the only reason you have a boner for Heatley is because hes a double 50 goal scorer. Hank is a near double 40 goal scorer. With Alfie/Spezza and Kovalchuk/Savard playing in the East, Zetterberg could be a back to back 50 goal scorer too.

Finally, the only person Heatley will sign for 8M with is Ottawa. 10M anywhere else, whoevers got the money. And it doesnt have to be a bottom-dweller considering that the cap will go up a little and that NYR just signed 14M worth of elite guys and wasnt a bottom-dweller to begin with.

Why the hell would Holland be fired?? Are you REALLY that stupid??? Do you KNOW that Zetterberg can be signed on July 1st, 2008, and that his contract wont take effect until his old contract is expired???

Youre whole point is that we should sign Heatley. Im countering that moronic logic by saying Zetterberg is just as good a player as Heatley, will cost us less, and that the only reason you have a boner for Heatley is because hes a double 50 goal scorer. Hank is a near double 40 goal scorer. With Alfie/Spezza and Kovalchuk/Savard playing in the East, Zetterberg could be a back to back 50 goal scorer too.

Finally, the only person Heatley will sign for 8M with is Ottawa. 10M anywhere else, whoevers got the money. And it doesnt have to be a bottom-dweller considering that the cap will go up a little and that NYR just signed 14M worth of elite guys and wasnt a bottom-dweller to begin with.

Oh crap! I can't believe it took me this long to realize that you're an idiot! This whole time I thought I was having a discussion a normal person. Boy, is my face red! Anyway, have a nice day retreading tires Corky.

Edited by Bannedforlife

Guest Crymson

Do me a favor, please: call up the Sharks` GM, and tell him that he's fired for signing Thornton to an extension on this last July 1st. Then, please go to the local emergency room to get all the crack flushed out of your body.

Regardless of this, it should be considered that FACTORS DO EXIST BESIDES TOTAL POINTS PUT UP. Zetterberg has played here his entire career, and he has professed his willingness to play here for the rest of it as well. He is a fan favorite, he is on the fast-track to being captain of the team, he has great leadership skills, he's an amazing two-way player, he's got incredible chemistry with Pavel and the rest of those who have been here for awhile, and this is his home. Consider that the Wings` success comes from picking up players and keeping them for a long, long time.

Edited by Crymson

Over the last 2 seasons, we have seen zero reason to believe Holland will get in a bidding war and trump other teams' offers. It does not matter what cap space you have unless you're willing to pony up the high draft picks and prospects. Most likely, they'll throw out a lame feeler offer, and we'll be hearing the same "Prices are too high right now" spiel. Someone else would throw up a big offer and get him.

Um, so you'd rather he had wasted a s***-ton of picks to get those great pick-ups Atlanta, Nashville, and the Islanders made? :huh: He knew he couldn't sign these guys to the kind of longterm contracts they want with next year's signings ahead. Doesn't anyone remember how insane rental prices were?!?! Atlanta sold the farm for nothing. The Sharks got Guerin who played like s***.

I'm glad Kenny didn't get stupid this UFA season OR at the trade deadline.

Rolston and Shanny have nothing in common at this or any other point in their careers. Rolston is a better all around player, but Shanny is more of a pure goal scorer and more physical. As for the Wings, I'd much rather have Shanny, because we need a right handed shot on the slot for the PP. But since it's doubtful that we'll have either one, all we're doing is just speculating about unrealistic matters.

With the exception that they're both big, gritty forwards that have a sniper's cannon and know how to finish, yeah I guess you're right. I mean one does play wing and the other centre. Oh and one of them used to fight before coming to Detroit. So yeah, there's a world of difference. Really too much to be able to compare them in passing.

I agree that the Wild will probably be in the playoffs, but I think the chance of getting Rolston in the off-season could happen if Zetterberg is locked up on July 1st, which is most likely, and Lidstrom is locked up prior to July 1st. We could argue all day about whether or not both those guys would be signed by then or whether theyd take less than expected, but the bottom line is that Rolston is definitely a Babcock/Holland guy. Hes not a cheapshotter or a fighter but he does have a ton of speed - sure to please Holland. And hes a hard-working, defense-oriented, complete player, the kind that Babs loves.

Sure, i could see him coming here in the offseason. I definitely could see that. But as for the deadline, its been my contention and will continue to be so, that we will land none of the coveted names when guys start being made available. Rolston, if availaible, would be one of those guys. We'll be looking more at the overpriced veterans who are having a so so year (or injured) group. Guys that will have very few suitors and can be had for a middle of the road offer.

Um, so you'd rather he had wasted a s***-ton of picks to get those great pick-ups Atlanta, Nashville, and the Islanders made? :huh: He knew he couldn't sign these guys to the kind of longterm contracts they want with next year's signings ahead. Doesn't anyone remember how insane rental prices were?!?! Atlanta sold the farm for nothing. The Sharks got Guerin who played like s***.

I'm glad Kenny didn't get stupid this UFA season OR at the trade deadline.

Nothing i said in there was insulting to Holland Drake, it was just the truth. I didnt even say we SHOULD have made those moves. Im just making a point to people who maybe are getting their hopes up that we'll trade for someone real good at the deadline because we have alot of cap room.

What a heated discussion this has become! :P

You know, this whole Heatley talk is just really becoming ridiculous. How realistic is it for the Wings to have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Heatley all under contract at once? Well, it is possible, but then we'd have to make the rest of the team suck ass, kinda like Tampa does with their big 3.

Not saying I wouldn't want Heatley, because I certainly do. But it's just not very possible.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Sure, i could see him coming here in the offseason. I definitely could see that. But as for the deadline, its been my contention and will continue to be so, that we will land none of the coveted names when guys start being made available. Rolston, if availaible, would be one of those guys. We'll be looking more at the overpriced veterans who are having a so so year (or injured) group. Guys that will have very few suitors and can be had for a middle of the road offer.

Ahh, sorry. I thought you meant its unlikely hed be coming here in the off-season.

Do me a favor, please: call up the Sharks` GM, and tell him that he's fired for signing Thornton to an extension on this last July 1st. Then, please go to the local emergency room to get all the crack flushed out of your body.

And whoevers idea it was to sign Crosby as soon as possible - OFF WITH THEIR HEAD :scared: