• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Crymson

Well, we're a season past Yzerman's retirement

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

I was flipping through some of the old videos I have on my computer, and I came across a couple of Yzerman tribute videos some people had made. It struck me that it still seems like it was yesterday when we were all here a year ago wondering if Red Wings hockey would ever be the same again without Steve Yzerman. A year later, I've found myself feeling amazed at just how much this team has grown in that short time. The difference between then and now feels like the difference between night and day.

Does anyone else feel the same way--that we've grown so much since last offseason, so much that perhaps the Yzerman days seem like a distant memory already?

Yes. It's almost like management was afraid to change too much about the team with Yzerman still on the roster. That combined with the necessities of building a team in the salary cap era, and the fact that Yzerman's number is in the roof along with everyone else from the past makes this a whole new team. I expect similar successes from this team, but for entirely different reasons than, say, 2003.

Guest Yzer19

No, it seems like just yesterday that Yzerman was playing. I still wish he was on the team. I enjoyed the team much more when Yzerman was playing. The Wings were a far better team with Yzerman on it. Hasek made that team seem a whole better than really were. They would've won the cup this year if Yzerman would've played. He was the missing piece that would've put them over the top.

Guest snowman89

No, it seems like just yesterday that Yzerman was playing. I still wish he was on the team. I enjoyed the team much more when Yzerman was playing. The Wings were a far better team with Yzerman on it. Hasek made that team seem a whole better than really were. They would've won the cup this year if Yzerman would've played. He was the missing piece that would've put them over the top.

Obviously Dude! You are not a golfer. I love Yzerman just as much as anybody here, but you can't be serious? I tend to start mocking people before I let them validate there point. Please validate away.

Ignorance.

Guest LivingtheDream

I think about him a lot. For a Detroit fan of any sport he was probably the best athelete of a generation and not just in his skills or success, but the way he carried himself as a person. Top echelon of NHL in almost all categories. What could I say that hasn't been said already. Honestly, I rank him with Gordie Howe, Joe Louis, Ty Cobb and Al Kaline. Still, we have to let him go - that's life. The memories (and highlight videos) are enough for me.

I laughed.

Yzerman and Shanny leaving allowed the young players to(finally) take things into their own hands. Hasek, while an upgrade over Legace, had little to do with the more determined play we saw from the team in the playoffs this year.

I miss Stevie terribly out on the ice. Many times last season I'd catch myself looking for that all too familiar #19 out there, waiting to take a pass from someone.

But I agree with LivingtheDream...we have to let him go. He is part of the past now, at least as far as him being a player goes. But I am glad Stevie had the foresight to retire before he became one of those athletes who continue to play long after they should have left. I am also glad that Stevie is staying on with the Wings in a management position, so not only will he continue to have influence on the team, we will get to see him from time to time. :)

He gave us 22 seasons of incredible hockey, spectacular goals, championships, gold medals, All-Star games, Stanley Cups, and some pretty scary moments too. He gave his blood, sweat and tears for us. He gave us everything he had and he played until he felt he had nothing left to give, or at least not enough to make it through anymore. And I thank him for every glorious moment of his career.

eh, i wouldnt say he is a distant memory yet. It feels like yesterday i watched him walk of the ice for the last time here in Edmonton - and I miss the guy playing like crazy, but at the same time I really like were the team has gone in the last year. No post Yzerman hang over in Detroit what so ever. I am excited about the next couple years - there WILL be a cup back in Detroit soon.

And you know this how? Not knocking Steve Yzerman as we all know what he's done etc., but this team made a deep playoff run "without" Yzerman and if it weren't for two awful breaks the 2nd-to-last game before the Wings got eliminated, I think it's a safe assumption to say they would have been playing in the SCF, "without" Yzerman. He even said himself that he pretty much didn't have anything else to offer, his body couldn't take much more abuse. I don't care who you are, the body eventually wears out for everybody.

Anyways, for me Yzerman retiring is not really a distant memory, it's weird to say this, it's not much of anything to me. I'm trying not to say this in a snobby or "I don't care" kinda way, cause I do. I apologize if it comes off like that. I actually haven't thought or reflected about him retiring that much to tell you the truth. The day after the Wings got eliminated in 2006 against Edmonton, it hit me that Yzerman might not play anymore and that was a rare reflection moment for me. January 2nd of his ceremony was another one of those days as well. But honestly, that's it for me.

Again, please don't mean this to say that I am unappreciative for what Yzerman did or any of that stuff. I definitely had a blast watching Yzerman play, and a part of me wishes he was still out there on the ice. I guess it's just my attitude, when it's not a time where you get "caught up in the moment" in sports or anything else, I really don't think about those kind of things, I just go about my daily life, routine business, and the like. I try not to get too high or low on the emotional scale.

Guest Yzer19

I laughed.

Yzerman and Shanny leaving allowed the young players to(finally) take things into their own hands. Hasek, while an upgrade over Legace, had little to do with the more determined play we saw from the team in the playoffs this year.

I completely disagree. I would take Yzerman over any of those young players. His leadership, scoring abilities, and faceoff abilities would've been huge in the playoffs. He always turned it up a notch in the playoffs. Having Hasek instilled confidence in the team. Nobody had any confidence in Legace and rightfully for so. Hasek was a huge upgrade over Legace. Imagine if everyone played the same way with Yzerman in the lineup. There would've been no stopping the Wings.

I know everyone things the reason the Wings did so much better in the playoffs was because the Wings finally got rid of Yzerman, but I don't agree with that logic. It was the huge upgrade in goaltending that made the difference. How do you guys know we wouldn't have went even farther with Yzerman? Because some stupid article in ESPN said the team was better off without Yzerman? That was article was complete BS. Yzerman was one of our best players in the playoffs in his last season. He probably would've been one of our top players in the playoffs again this year too. Think about it. The guys number is hanging in the rafters. Why do you guys think that is? It's not because the team is better off without him. Yzerman says it's up there because of his teammates and the great teams he played on. If the team is/would've been so much better without him like everyone here seems to think then should it even be up there?

Edited by Yzer19

I know everyone things the reason the Wings did so much better in the playoffs was because the Wings finally got rid of Yzerman, but I don't agree with that logic.

That isn't THE MAIN REASON, and nobody is slighting or insulting Yzerman in any way, shape, or form. I think it's a safe bet to say the fan in every one of us wishes he was still out on the ice. We would have all been happy I think if he played another year. But you have to ask yourself, and be serious. What more did Yzerman have left to prove? He won 3 Cups. His body must have gone through hell and back his last few seasons, pain that none of us are even going to come close to having a clue about in our lifetime. Again, Yzerman himself said he had little else to offer the team at the end of his career. It sucks that pretty much any good thing has to come to an end, but it was time to hang up the skates, in HIS opinion, not just some of our opinions.

Guest Yzer19

Ignorance.

Well if thinking that Yzerman was a great player and that he would've helped the team makes me ignorant, then just go right ahead and call me igornant. I'm sorry but I remember all too well how great Yzerman was in the playoffs and how he always stepped it up even with his injuries. I just happen to think that having a great player like Yzerman there would've really helped the team.

BTW SouthernWingsFan, what does Chelios or Lidstrom or Hasek have left to prove? Nothing at all, but yet they are still playing. Those guys have more awards and have accomplished a lot more than Yzerman. Apparently Yzerman had a lot to prove.

Edited by Yzer19

ow do you guys know we wouldn't have went even farther with Yzerman? Because some stupid article in ESPN said the team was better off without Yzerman? That was article was complete BS.

No, because I watched the team play and players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg finally started stepping up. Younger players like Franzen and Filpulla made contributions whereas before they would of had little ice time. There was no longer any expectation on the bench that Steve or Shanny would save the day out there, so players got off their asses and did something about it.

Yzerman retired partly because he realized this. That, plus he saw the decline in his play unlike so many other players who end up staying in the league way too long. In several interviews where the questions is brought up Yzerman says that his presence may have unintentionally been stifling the performance of younger players in his last couple of years on the team.

Retiring was the best thing Stevie could do to help the team at the end of the 05/06 season, and he knew it.

Guest Yzer19

No, because I watched the team play and players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg finally started stepping up. Younger players like Franzen and Filpulla made contributions whereas before they would of had little ice time. There was no longer any expectation on the bench that Steve or Shanny would save the day out there, so players got off their asses and did something about it.

Yzerman retired partly because he realized this. That, plus he saw the decline in his play unlike so many other players who end up staying in the league way too long. In several interviews where the questions is brought up Yzerman says that his presence may have unintentionally been stifling the performance of younger players in his last couple of years on the team.

Retiring was the best thing Stevie could do to help the team at the end of the 05/06 season, and he knew it.

Yzerman would've contributed even more than Franzen and Filppula did. Yzerman had very little ice-time in his last season. He really didn't take any away from the young players. Shanny did, but not Yzerman. Zetterberg stepped up in the 2006 playoffs when Yzerman was still on the team. Zetterberg and Yzerman were the Wings top 2 players. I always take Yzerman's comments about himself with a grain of a salt. He's very humble. I still think Yzerman should've played one more year.

if only yzermans knees didnt get messed up...he coulda played a few more years

If Yzerman's knees didn't get messed up, he'd be the Wings' all-time leading scorer and would be second all-time in scoring. But that's not what happened, and we can't say 'Yzerman should have bionic legs installed so he can play ten more years!'

Or perhaps you'd have rather had Yzerman go out like Messier and Coffey went out...as players who could contribute very little to a team, and were only hanging on for individual glory.

Guest Yzer19

If Yzerman's knees didn't get messed up, he'd be the Wings' all-time leading scorer and would be second all-time in scoring. But that's not what happened, and we can't say 'Yzerman should have bionic legs installed so he can play ten more years!'

Or perhaps you'd have rather had Yzerman go out like Messier and Coffey went out...as players who could contribute very little to a team, and were only hanging on for individual glory.

I would've loved to see Yzerman go out like Messier did. You do realize that Messier went out as tbe #2 scorer of all-time behind only Gretzky. He also is considered one of the top 15 greatest hockey players of all-time and most consider him the best captain of all-time. I would've preferred Yzerman to go out like that then the way he did. Yzerman is #6 in all-time points, he's barely in the top 40 players of all-time, and now everyone is saying the team is better off without Yzerman. That definitely was not a good way for Yzerman to go out.

Edited by Yzer19

I would've loved to see Yzerman go out like Messier did. You do realize that Messier went out as tbe #2 scorer of all-time behind only Gretzky. He also is considered one of the top 15 greatest hockey players of all-time and most consider him the best captain of all-time. I would've preferred Yzerman to go out like that then the way he did. Yzerman is #6 in all-time points, he's barely in the top 40 players of all-time, and now everyone is saying the team is better off without Yzerman. That definitely was not a good way for Yzerman to go out.

Messier hung on way too long. His last few years was still playing on the Rangers' first or second line, even though he hadn't contributed much defensively in a decade and he was scoring barely a point every two games. Messier was also making 4m at the time. He signed this as a 2-year deal worth 8m after scoring 23 points in 43 games in 01-02. WTF?

As far as all-time ranking...Yzerman was better than Messier. He doesn't get credit for it because Messier always gets the 'he's a great leader and a great player, he won six Cups!' without having to have the negative qualifiers of 'he won four Cups on the second line behind Gretzky' and 'He scored 50 once and 40 three other times, and the two best years came on Gretzky's wing'

Messier isn't second in scoring because he was an amazing offensive player. He's second in scoring because he played his best years in the most wide-open, weakest defensive and goaltending era the league has ever seen, and he played well past his effectiveness. Messier's average stat line over the 24.57 seasons he played (94-95 counts as .57) was as follows:

71GP, 28g-49a-77pts

Yzerman's average stat line for his 21.57 is:

70 GP, 32g-49a-79pts

So offensively, they had pretty similar careers, the major difference being Yzerman played his best years with third liners while Messier played his best years with Gretzky, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey, etc.

As far as defense, though, one of them was a Selke contender for most of their career. The other is Mark Messier.

After having just finished reading "The Captain" I am pretty sure Stevie would have been an impeding factor on this team. He as much as said so in the book (well in the Detroit Free Press articles written that were in the book), and in the fact that he retired. He has been saying since the 02 cup run that he did not want to be a 6 minute a game guy. He wanted to be a top player out there and be productive, or he would retire. He felt like he couldn't be the player he wanted to be. Not saying he couldn't have helped, but he was not living up to his expectations and felt it was time to walk away. With his health and his age he wasn't the same player and he did not want to take the ice unless he could be the best. That is why he stayed so humble and why we all love him, he had great expectations for himself and everything he did, all the hard work, was all about reaching those goals. He can no longer play that way and stepped aside.

Yzerman walking away allowed the following:

Lids to show he is a great leader as well as player.

Zetterberg to show he is a great player and leader.

Datsyuk to step up and show he can play in the clutch.

Franzen to get more ice time.

Shanny to NY, which allowed more ice time for the youngsters.

Babcock to make changes to his lineups without fear of upsetting a Detroit Icon and his fans.

I miss the guy too, but he wasn't playing until he was 75, especially with those knees.

Guest Yzer19

After having just finished reading "The Captain" I am pretty sure Stevie would have been an impeding factor on this team. He as much as said so in the book (well in the Detroit Free Press articles written that were in the book), and in the fact that he retired. He has been saying since the 02 cup run that he did not want to be a 6 minute a game guy. He wanted to be a top player out there and be productive, or he would retire. He felt like he couldn't be the player he wanted to be. Not saying he couldn't have helped, but he was not living up to his expectations and felt it was time to walk away. With his health and his age he wasn't the same player and he did not want to take the ice unless he could be the best. That is why he stayed so humble and why we all love him, he had great expectations for himself and everything he did, all the hard work, was all about reaching those goals. He can no longer play that way and stepped aside.

Yzerman walking away allowed the following:

Lids to show he is a great leader as well as player.

Zetterberg to show he is a great player and leader.

Datsyuk to step up and show he can play in the clutch.

Franzen to get more ice time.

Shanny to NY, which allowed more ice time for the youngsters.

Babcock to make changes to his lineups without fear of upsetting a Detroit Icon and his fans.

I miss the guy too, but he wasn't playing until he was 75, especially with those knees.

If all those things couldn't have happend with Yzerman on the team then maybe those players and the coach just aren't all that great. A great player, leader, and a great coach is great no matter who they have on the team. Those guys were all very selfish for not stepping up while Yzerman was here and waiting until he left. Their failure to step with Yzerman on the team, forcing Yzerman to walk away last summer, cost us a Stanley Cup.

It is not that the players were selfish and couldn't do those things with Yzerman here, it is the fact that with such a large shadow it is hard to step out of.

Yzerman was/is a legend in Detroit. Remember the fan petition to remove the cup and put the mural of Yzerman up, remember the ovations he got just for stepping on the ice, etc... I can go on forever but we all know the Yzerman lore.

I am willing to bet that these guys out of respect didn't want to show up Yzerman, show up is a bad term but you get the point I hope.

No one forced Yzerman to walk away last summer, he walked on his own, and he has said that from the start. I guarantee you if Yzerman had walked up to Holland and said I have another cup run in me, he would have worn the winged wheel again. However he couldn't he wasn't the same player and he told Mitch Albom that much. I would quote it for you but the book is at home and I am at work.

If all those things couldn't have happend with Yzerman on the team then maybe those players and the coach just aren't all that great. A great player, leader, and a great coach is great no matter who they have on the team. Those guys were all very selfish for not stepping up while Yzerman was here and waiting until he left. Their failure to step with Yzerman on the team, forcing Yzerman to walk away last summer, cost us a Stanley Cup.

Ignorance. Lidstrom was clearly a leader while Yzerman was still around. Zetterberg in his first couple seasons wasn't going to be a leader on a roster with guys like Yzerman and Shanahan who have been viewed as great leaders much of their careers.

Franzen wasn't going to get more ice time with Yzerman and Shanahan around.

So ultimately, the only one you can realistically rag on is Datsyuk for not stepping up. And guess what? Until he proved this season he could play in the clutch, Datsyuk was ripped on mercilessly.

Yzerman retiring did not cost the Wings a Stanley Cup. Yzerman's presence on the team would not have changed the result against Anaheim...the problem was that with Schneider and Kronwall out, our PP point men consisted of Lidstrom, Samuelsson, Chelios, and Lebda. That's a Norris winner, an unspectacular 2-way winger who makes bad shot decisions, a stay at home defenseman who has scored 62 points in 287 games the past four seasons, and our #6 defenseman who has scored 30 in 120 in his career.

And I will remind you: Yzerman was not pushed out the door like some players have been. The Wings were trying to convince Yzerman to return for the 06-07 season.

Guest Yzer19

It is not that the players were selfish and couldn't do those things with Yzerman here, it is the fact that with such a large shadow it is hard to step out of.

Yzerman was/is a legend in Detroit. Remember the fan petition to remove the cup and put the mural of Yzerman up, remember the ovations he got just for stepping on the ice, etc... I can go on forever but we all know the Yzerman lore.

I am willing to bet that these guys out of respect didn't want to show up Yzerman, show up is a bad term but you get the point I hope.

No one forced Yzerman to walk away last summer, he walked on his own, and he has said that from the start. I guarantee you if Yzerman had walked up to Holland and said I have another cup run in me, he would have worn the winged wheel again. However he couldn't he wasn't the same player and he told Mitch Albom that much. I would quote it for you but the book is at home and I am at work.

Yzerman's teammates basically forced him to retire by not stepping up while he was on the team.

Ignorance. Lidstrom was clearly a leader while Yzerman was still around. Zetterberg in his first couple seasons wasn't going to be a leader on a roster with guys like Yzerman and Shanahan who have been viewed as great leaders much of their careers.

Franzen wasn't going to get more ice time with Yzerman and Shanahan around.

So ultimately, the only one you can realistically rag on is Datsyuk for not stepping up. And guess what? Until he proved this season he could play in the clutch, Datsyuk was ripped on mercilessly.

Yzerman retiring did not cost the Wings a Stanley Cup. Yzerman's presence on the team would not have changed the result against Anaheim...the problem was that with Schneider and Kronwall out, our PP point men consisted of Lidstrom, Samuelsson, Chelios, and Lebda. That's a Norris winner, an unspectacular 2-way winger who makes bad shot decisions, a stay at home defenseman who has scored 62 points in 287 games the past four seasons, and our #6 defenseman who has scored 30 in 120 in his career.

And I will remind you: Yzerman was not pushed out the door like some players have been. The Wings were trying to convince Yzerman to return for the 06-07 season.

Where was Lidstrom in the 05-06 playoffs? He was terrible. He was on ice for just about every single Edmonton goal. Zetterberg and Yzerman were really the only two players that showed up for the 05-06 playoffs.