• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
EstonianWingsFan#1

Matthias - probably another wasted promising prospect..

Rate this topic

Hey guys, Shawn Matthias, who was sent to Florida's ranks in Bertuzzi trade.. guess what, I think we made another bad deal... I understand it's too early to say about his future, but we don't have Bertuzzi either anymore... To be honest, one of the things I hate about the Red Wings organization is Ken Holland and his idea to change prospects for aging stars. For example look at Avs, they've done good job in picking and developing prospects like Stastny, Budaj, Svatos, Wolski, Hlinka, Hensick, Cumiskey etc.. Haha, it's even more frustrating that it's the Avs. Ok, take a look at Blackhawks, they also have serious prospect ranks, they never give them away. Why can't the Wings concentrate on developing new guys, instead, they give them away. Thank god we have Zetterberg and Datsyuk - the main gems. Maybe I'm overreacting since Detroit has gone over 100 points during the regular season without any problems during the last decade, but still, I think collecting aging stars isn't the right way. Other than that, I still believe we luckily have got good prospects at the moment.. just that I feel we give good prospects away too easily..

Anyways, Matthias is currently OHLs top scorer, 8 points in 2 games, same as Tavares. Might be just a kickass start to a season, or good overall team helps achieving his numbers, but I think we gave away a promising prospect.

What do you think?

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/s...ype=top_scorers

Edited by EstonianWingsFan#1

Yeh I know what you mean but at the time of the trade everyone was more than satisfied with what we got and what we gave up. Matthias is a good prospect but most scouting reports have him slated as a future 3rd liner, so trading for Bertuzzi who they thought would help us go all the way and who they hoped would stay, I think it was a decent enough trade. Of course I wish we still had Matthias, but not too many regrets.

Matthias, like Flieschmann, was extremely expendable. You guys get all over Holland for not taking major risks, but when he makes a great deal and a safe move it's like 'Holland you traded our future superstar and not at all career third liner for crap!!'

I shudder to imagine the backlash we'd see if Hudler was actually traded, given the amount of damage he is going to do in the NHL.

To be honest, one of the things I hate about the Red Wings organization is Ken Holland and his idea to change prospects for aging stars. For example look at Avs, they've done good job in picking and developing prospects like Stastny, Budaj, Svatos, Wolski, Hlinka, Hensick, Cumiskey etc.. Haha, it's even more frustrating that it's the Avs. Ok, take a look at Blackhawks, they also have serious prospect ranks, they never give them away. Why can't the Wings concentrate on developing new guys, instead, they give them away. [/url]

So you're saying you envy serious prospect ranks over Stanley Cups?

I'm not sure how you can argue that a team that includes Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filpulla, Hudler, Kronwall, and Franzen fails to develop its prospects. I leave out future team members Howard and Kindl. I'm also leaving out players like Holmstrom and Lidstrom that have been brought up through our system and are still here, as well as players like Drake and Ozzy who have left and come back. I don't really think this is a team built solely through trades for vets, or that fritters away all its talented prospects.

Ok, take a look at Blackhawks, they also have serious prospect ranks, they never give them away.

Maybe they should start. Their current formula certainly hasn't brought them much success.

The other thing I'd like to know is, how is Matthias "another" wasted prospect? That is, how many prospects have the Wings traded away that ended up flourishing? THe only one I can think of that even comes close to fitting the bill is Fleischmann, and he hasn't exactly threatened to win any awards.

Guest lnvincible

"Maybe they should start. Their current formula certainly hasn't brought them much success."

I disagree with that. Detroit has much success for on going years. Just because they dont win the cup , witch we all want here :P but they have done an outstanding job during the seasons over the years. I truly believe this is the year where detroit wins it ! If not , they'll get far with the squad they have this year.

"Maybe they should start. Their current formula certainly hasn't brought them much success."

I disagree with that. Detroit has much success for on going years. Just because they dont win the cup , witch we all want here :P but they have done an outstanding job during the seasons over the years. I truly believe this is the year where detroit wins it ! If not , they'll get far with the squad they have this year.

BRTD was referring to the Hawks...

Trading for Bertuzzi was the right thing to do. He contributed more to last season's playoff run than most would give him credit for. Had Holland traded Matthias for another pure veteran scorer that would have been very different, but Bertuzzi added a key element to the lineup. No regrets!

Fleischmann, 3 years after the Lang trade, has yet to crack Washingtons lineup full-time. This is Washington we're talking about. The same team that's #1 centers last season were Kris Beech and Jiri Novotny. That lineup is so-talent depleted, and yet he still can't make it.

...and I must say, you're Chicago example is so ridiculous, it's not even funny. I can't believe you're basically willing to suffer through 10+ losing seasons just to have a few good prospects. Who even knows if these guys will even pan out. Chicago's draft history the last decade says otherwise. Look at who they've drafted in the 1st round from 1997 until now:

Dan Cleary

Ty Jones

Mark Bell

Steve McCarthy

Mikhail Yakubov

Pavel Vorobiev

Tuomo Ruutu

Adam Munro

Anton Babchuk

Brent Seabrook

Cam Barker

Jack Skille

Johnathan Toews

Patrick Kane

That list is pretty awful. At least 5 of those players (Jones, Yakubov, Vorobiev, Munro, and Babchuck) are no longer playing in the NHL. Cleary played less then a season in Chicago. Bell never put up the offensive numbers expected of him. McCarthy never was, and so far never will be, nothing more then a #6 defenseman. Ruutu is injured so much that he's not even a factor. Seabrook is the only player on that list that is not a rookie right now that has made a meaningful impact in Chicago.

Having prospects based on their numbers in juniors doesn't mean anything. Shall I bring up the ever so obvious examples of Alexandre Daigle or Pavel Brendl?

Quit whining over stupid crap. The Bertuzzi trade, all be it not really what people were hoping for, is over and done with. It at least showed Holland has the guts to take risks still. In the end, I really don't feel it will make any such difference, as it's unclear whether Matthias will even crack an NHL roster.

Guest lnvincible

Detroit tried sign bertuzzi but it seemed like he wasnt interested in joinning back. yes i do believe they lost alot on that trade but when the trade went through i thought bertuzzi would of been staying for a few more years. But as we all know hes gone and its beyond our control to change that. I dont think Holland will make any moves like that again. Although the move was jus to get some phy role on detroit. Nether or less , i think its a loss , but detroit always makes somthing big out of something small. We should jus all move on wit our lives and hope for the best :)

Guest Canadian Wings

He's from the same city i live in. Just west of Toronto.

*sigh* would have loved to see a player from my city on the wings >_<

Guest Agalloch

Kirk Maltby was a fifty-goal scorer in his junior days. Can we please stop discussing this now?