Sign in to follow this  
Guest GordieSid&Ted

How concerned are you with the #1 Line?

Rate this topic

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Extremely

Mildly

Not concerned at all

I'm mildly concerned myself. Dats looked fantastic. Whereas almost everyone looks skinnier now in those new uni's, Dats looked beefier and stronger. His stickhandling was top notch already and his head is still 2 steps ahead of everyone else.

However, I can't help but notice how many times he couldn't connect with Franzen and Homer versus when he and Z were together.

What would this team look like with a pure sniper on Dats wing? Heatley for example.

Homer and Franz looked pretty good imo but I still look at Franz as a 2nd/3rd line banger type with some scoring. He doesn't strike me as a current version of Shanny, able to be strong yet have magical hands and a scoring knack. Part of me thinks Dats is going to have to be picture perfect in his setups for these guys and that could lead into Dats trying to do to much.

Will it matter if there's 8 powerplays per game and Z and Dats are together? Probably not. But how did that line do even strength. I don't recall them being very dominant or getting a great amount of chances at even strength. Mostly it looked like Dats doing all the dangling, waiting for those 2 to get into an open area or scoring position. It'd be nice if we had a sniper to whom that stuff came naturally.

It's one game yes, but I wasn't real big on this line for weeks now.

Opinions?

Mildly concerned. It takes time to build up chemistry with linemates. Nothing happens overnight. If thing aren't working there is bound to be some line shuffling. As long as the wings get off to a reasonably decent start, they can afford to find what works. Playing in a weak division will take some of the pressure off of immeadiately finding the best combo. We still have a good amount of cap room. I anticipate Holland finding a top six sniper with some physical upside before the deadline. We would have kept Bert, but the price was too high for someone that is essentially a gamble. There will very likely be a deal done at some point if the wings have a glaring need. In the mean time, I am mildly concerned, but far from panic button.

Aa I was watching, I started to notice (after the first 10 minutes which were akward) that quite a few passes were JUST off (namely Kronwall, Rafalski, Lidstrom all had near break aways). I think that this probably has to do more with timing, both game speed and the mix of new faces, than players not having the skills to make everthing work.

What I was really impressed with was Datsyuk finally looking to take the shot as opposed to waiting to make that perfect setup pass. I think he's finally de-programmed from being Hull's setup man.

I think they will need to make a big splash in trade market this year if they wont to win. This team really looked average against a team the had some jet lag. I know they will make the playoffs but i thing they will struggle. By no means is it panic time but hope the click at some point.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Well... the shots were 42 to 15 in the Wings favor... I think we did great so I'm somwhere between mildly conerned and not conerned at all

The shots are more of a reflection of the team as a whole, the PP's helped as well. I'm talking about the 1st lines' opportunities at even strength. Dats-Homer-Franz line only, not other combinations.

Mildy.

I believe (forgive me, i taped the game last night and stayed up til 3am watching it, so my mind isn't all there) that Hank was centering both Sammy and Huds.

Id like to see one of them with Datsyuk.

Judging from last nights game, our "#1 line" looks to be Hanks line.

Ideally, with Sammy being somewhat small and more finesse and Hudler being small and skilled, the top two lines in my eyes would ideally be... in no particular order,

Homer - Pavel - Hudler

Franzen - Hank - Sammy

That way we have a tumbler on both lines, and some hands to go with pavel and hank.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

Mildly concerned. It takes time to build up chemistry with linemates. Nothing happens overnight. If thing aren't working there is bound to be some line shuffling. As long as the wings get off to a reasonably decent start, they can afford to find what works. Playing in a weak division will take some of the pressure off of immeadiately finding the best combo. We still have a good amount of cap room. I anticipate Holland finding a top six sniper with some physical upside before the deadline. We would have kept Bert, but the price was too high for someone that is essentially a gamble. There will very likely be a deal done at some point if the wings have a glaring need. In the mean time, I am mildly concerned, but far from panic button.

Definitely the chemistry will take time. Even if he had Jagr and Heatley on his wings it would take time. The difference being a spade is a spade and Franzen and Homer are not Jagr and Heatley. I guess i'm just not convinced they can be a big time scoring duo for Dats and lets face it, with a sniper, Dats could make that guy a lock for 40+ goals and 100+ points for himself.

Not the tiniest bit concerned at all. People, always, always overreact to line combos and put way too much thought into them. Babcock has shown that he likes to juggle them almost as much as Scotty did. As FnuLaird pointed out, the shots were 42-15 in the Wings favor, so there isn't really much to complain about.

Right now I'm only midly concerned. As the thread starter stated, I wasn't crazy about the top two lines heading into the season, but at the same time, I realize it takes time to build chemistry.

Now that being said, I still think its important to sign a guy like Forsberg or Selanne seeing as that they are natural scorers and will require no draft pick compensations (compared to the trade deadline) to get them in the Winged Wheel. Selanne may be hard to get, because if he comes back, it'll likely be to the Ducks. Him signing with the Wings would add a lot of parity to the West (so I don't see him coming our way).

Unfortunately, I'm starting to warm up more to the idea of Forsberg coming our way. If he joined our team, just think what that would do to our top two lines. Talk about options.

Edit: Spelling

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

I'm not concerned for three reasons.

First, the only question mark on that line is Franzen, but if I had to pick one guy from the roster to replace Hank, it'd be him. He's big, strong, fast, likes to bang, and he continues to impress me with his surprisingly soft hands. And he's still getting better. In my opinion, that package is a great complement to what Datsyuk and Homer bring to the line. We saw evidence of it a few times last night -- Dats uses his vision to set up a play, Homer distracts in front of the net, Mule has room to drive to the net, Mule drives to the net. Homer and Mule operating around the crease = goalie nightmare.

Second: options. Or, more specifically, option: swapping in Hank. Then maybe swapping back again. Then maybe swapping again (and so on as is appropriate). This has the potential to drive teams crazy, especially when we're at home and we can exercise the late change. Granted, that's not an perfect scenario; ideally you want the first line to gel definitively. But it is nice to have that flexibility.

Third: management is still eying a top-6 scoring winger. So even if the top-6 somehow goes down the s***ter in the regular season (injuries being the most realistic culprit), there'll still be that ace in the hole. Assuming Kenny can put something together, that is.

Edited by Dabura

I think it'll be a cold day in hell before Selanne signs here. I also think Forsberg will stick with his guns; I'll be shocked if he doesn't go for Philly or the Avs.

Some juicy options should crop up as the season progresses. It'll be interesting....

Not concerned after 1 game.

I thought Franzen had a couple of good chances. Give the chemistry a few more games.

Agreed, give them a few games at least. I thought they looked pretty good for the first game. Glad to see Drake show Perry how a man plays hockey.

I think they will need to make a big splash in trade market this year if they wont to win. This team really looked average against a team the had some jet lag. I know they will make the playoffs but i thing they will struggle. By no means is it panic time but hope the click at some point.

Looked average? We you watching the same game I was? If it wasnt for Bryzgalov the score would have been 6 or 7 to 2. The number 1 line combined for 12 of 45 shots and 2 points. Im no more concerned with the top line than I am about any of the other lines. With that being said one more top 6 forward certainly wouldnt hurt but thats true of almost every team in the league.

The number 1 line combined for 12 of 45 shots and 2 points.

I don't think that'll hold too much water, considering the PP unit is not the first line.

Edit: In reference to the 2 points.

Edited by GoCryWolfe

...with Sammy being somewhat small ...

:blink:

I was on Samuelsson's case all year last season, so I am by no means a big supporter of his, but that is just an ill-informed statement right there. The guy is 6'2 and 210lbs. Hardly "small" on even the biggest of teams. I thought he played pretty fiesty last night and showed a nice gritty edge to his game for the first time since we signed him.

Not concerned at all. Honestly, I thought the whole team looked pretty good for the 1st game of the season. As far as just Dats line goes, they had a few plays where they got some chances and looked good and on D they were solid. I do agree that replacing Franzen with a legit scorer would be the best bet though. If they were going to do it from within I'd replace him with Sammy, who's not afraid to shoot. If were talking trade kovalchuk is a guy I'd love to see on Dats wing. he's not small got a bit of an edge to him and he's all about scoring goals. Atlanta is fast becoming known for making stupid personal decisions, so maybe Kenny could make a shrewd move to pick him up. Although Gordo, you know who I'd love to see come back on that wing! hahhahh But I'd stick with it for now, and when Grigs gets back give him a legit shot with Dats.

:blink:

I was on Samuelsson's case all year last season, so I am by no means a big supporter of his, but that is just an ill-informed statement right there. The guy is 6'2 and 210lbs. Hardly "small" on even the biggest of teams. I thought he played pretty fiesty last night and showed a nice gritty edge to his game for the first time since we signed him.

He did use his body last night, mostly his forearm.

I've never really seen him lay a clean dead on body check, he does play the body a bit. I'm not trying to bash him at all, I like him (and was actually pleasantly surprised to not see him on the PP unit last night) and thought he played well.

Regardless, I think my earlier line combos wouldn't hurt.

Atlanta is fast becoming known for making stupid personal decisions, so maybe Kenny could make a shrewd move to pick him up.

Examples? Aside from Kozzie?