• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
CAredwingsfan91

Our Favorite GM Brian Burke!

Rate this topic

Sportsnet.ca - The feud between Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe and Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke went up a notch again on Thursday, with Lowe referring to Burke as an 'egomaniac' and 'blowhard'.

haha whats with this soap opera madness, between these two, Burke needs to let it go arleady. You dont see Holland making comments about Burke how was able to sign Bert and Schiender, yeah i know free/restricted agents but still Holland isn't making comments. C'mon now. That would be sweet if they included this kind of stuff in EA 08 :P

Cry Baby article

Sportsnet.ca - The feud between Edmonton Oilers general manager Kevin Lowe and Anaheim Ducks general manager Brian Burke went up a notch again on Thursday, with Lowe referring to Burke as an 'egomaniac' and 'blowhard'.

haha whats with this soap opera madness, between these two, Burke needs to let it go arleady. You dont see Holland making comments about Burke how was able to sign Bert and Schiender, yeah i know free/restricted agents but still Holland isn't making comments. C'mon now. That would be sweet if they included this kind of stuff in EA 08 :P

Cry Baby article

LOL! I heard that on XM. I love Burke only because he's a great soap opera to follow when things get dull.

However, what I can't stand about him is how he's getting a lot of credit for Bryan Murray's work. Murray basically built that team. It's true that Burke brought in Selanne and Neidermayer but Neids basically told him he's playing for the Ducks because he wanted to be with his bro.

And will someone please tell Burke to move his mouth when he talks. It's like watching a damn mummy speak!

LOL! I heard that on XM. I love Burke only because he's a great soap opera to follow when things get dull.

However, what I can't stand about him is how he's getting a lot of credit for Bryan Murray's work. Murray basically built that team. It's true that Burke brought in Selanne and Neidermayer but Neids basically told him he's playing for the Ducks because he wanted to be with his bro.

And will someone please tell Burke to move his mouth when he talks. It's like watching a damn mummy speak!

DUDE THATS RIGHT! i ALWAYS forget Murray was there, great point man. hahahahaha he does look like a mummy :lol::lol::lol:

Im sorry but I dont see the Wings suffering from the effects of this "grenade" Burke is talking about. Hes the guy that blew nearly 6M per season on an increasingly injury-prone 38 year old guy who hasnt even made his Duck debut yet. And that was before this whole Penner scandal. The team and the league seems to be functioning quite well this season, with a lot of exciting, high scoring, and/or close games being played.

The offer sheet is tailor-made for use against teams like the Ducks, who perfer to piss away all of their cap space on the first day of free agent season while leaving promising young players unsigned. Burke is unable to deal with the fact that he didn't spend wisely and Lowe made him pay for it...egomaniac indeed.

To me Kevin Lowe comes across as a genuine/sincere guy - something Burke is not.

It's not like poaching RFA's is something new; Feds was offered a massive contract from the Hurricanes, but we matched & it cost the organization $14 mill that year. When the Blues signed RFA Shanhan - the Devils got Scott Stevens in return for compensation.

Burke is a whiney old woman.

$28M. Sergei was half a mil shy of being paid as much as the rest of the roster that year.

What comes to me as no surprise is how the Ducks used to be this kind of unoffensive team, and all of a sudden, now they're collectively one of the dirtiest teams in the league. Cheapshots and dirty play follow Burke like Pigpen's dust, and I have no respect for him because of it. Remember how the Canucks used to have guys like Bryan Allen and Marc Crawford, and always had players getting injured playing against them? Now the Ducks are the same way. Burke does that to a team.

And to think this guy used to be the league's disciplinarian. Probably has a pretty good idea of just how far his teams can push before they step over the line.

Guest jaytan

While he probably shouldn't have made his comments (and certainly not in the manner that he did, but that's Burke), they're pretty much correct.

$28M. Sergei was half a mil shy of being paid as much as the rest of the roster that year.

IIRC, it was a 7 year contract at $2 mil. per year plus 14 mil.worth of bonuses. so in the first year of that contract Fedorov made 16 mil. Not $28 mil. Not that $28 mil. isn't a whole lot of money.

IIRC, it was a 7 year contract at $2 mil. per year plus 14 mil.worth of bonuses. so in the first year of that contract Fedorov made 16 mil. Not $28 mil. Not that $28 mil. isn't a whole lot of money.

You don't. It was a 6 year deal at $2M/yr plus a $14M signing bonus PLUS the controversial $12M bonus for reaching the Conference Finals which Carolina had no shot at in '98 and the Wings were expected to, and did, reach en route to the '98 Cup. Fedorov made $28M that year. The rest of the roster made $28.5M.

Kevin Lowe offered a ridiculous amout of money to penner and i heard he also did to someone else iam too lazy to read if anyone else said who anyways.. this is how the nhl gets F'ed up so i think Lowe is a piece of work thats my opinion alot of people dont like burke because his team the ducks have had a heck of alot penaties last year and with the whole pronger insident last playoffs OF COURSE he is going to defend pronger... is that all burke did? if did something else someone please send me a link or tell me... Please? :huh:

DUCKS PLAY PHYSICAL just because some teams cant compare does not make them dirty ducks get penalties to send messages to teams that if you want to move the puck YOU ARE GOING TO GET HIT same when i played in football coach always said TAKE THE PENALTY then the other team will think twice before they try something

Edited by Duck Guy

Thomas Vanek.

Al Bundy doesn't like the Ducks, he likes Polk High football, everyone knows that. :lol:

al bundy friggin rocks.... Ducks... Polk High all the same... *sorry went from burke to al bundy* :cool:

7 year, $50 million contract for Thomas Vanek huh... no comment on that.... hahha.... Thanks Izzy for info on name

Edited by Duck Guy

Kevin Lowe offered a ridiculous amout of money to penner and i heard he also did to someone else iam too lazy to read if anyone else said who anyways.. this is how the nhl gets F'ed up so i think Lowe is a piece of work thats my opinion alot of people dont like burke because his team the ducks have had a heck of alot penaties last year and with the whole pronger insident last playoffs OF COURSE he is going to defend pronger... is that all burke did? if did something else someone please send me a link or tell me... Please? :huh:

DUCKS PLAY PHYSICAL just because some teams cant compare does not make them dirty ducks get penalties to send messages to teams that if you want to move the puck YOU ARE GOING TO GET HIT same when i played in football coach always said TAKE THE PENALTY then the other team will think twice before they try something

Burke did gm a team before the ducks, you know this right? Said team was hated just as much for some of the same crap.

Burke did gm a team before the ducks, you know this right? Said team was hated just as much for some of the same crap.

I know he did... but iam sure he does not have team meetings saying that that this months goal is to give 2 players concussions... or does he?! pretty sure he likes physical hockey more then other GMs... but hey who knows.. just my thoughts

Edited by Duck Guy

Please tell me how the NHL gets screwed up by Lowe offering Penner an exorbitant salary? So that one offer sheet somehow set the market for all future ones and jacked up the salary scale for teams across the league? I got news for you (and Burke, because his bitching would indicate he doesn't get it): there's a hard salary cap in place. Which means that salaries are not suddenly going to skyrocket out of control. Pay more money to one guy, pay less to another - the cap balances it all out in the end. You guys lost Penner fair and square, and the whole league, except Burke's *****-ass, understands that.

Burke runs dirty teams. Burke was the Canucks' GM when Bryan Allen was out knee-hunting, when Bertuzzi went after Moore, and Burke hired scumbag coach Marc Crawford, whose reputation was already far less than stellar. The Ducks play physical some of the time, and step over the line other times. I will promise you that sometime this season, an Anaheim Duck will be suspended for something he does - and when it happens, Burke will probably bring the guy into his office for cigars.

Please tell me how the NHL gets screwed up by Lowe offering Penner an exorbitant salary? So that one offer sheet somehow set the market for all future ones and jacked up the salary scale for teams across the league? I got news for you (and Burke, because his bitching would indicate he doesn't get it): there's a hard salary cap in place. Which means that salaries are not suddenly going to skyrocket out of control. Pay more money to one guy, pay less to another - the cap balances it all out in the end. You guys lost Penner fair and square, and the whole league, except Burke's *****-ass, understands that.

Burke runs dirty teams. Burke was the Canucks' GM when Bryan Allen was out knee-hunting, when Bertuzzi went after Moore, and Burke hired scumbag coach Marc Crawford, whose reputation was already far less than stellar. The Ducks play physical some of the time, and step over the line other times. I will promise you that sometime this season, an Anaheim Duck will be suspended for something he does - and when it happens, Burke will probably bring the guy into his office for cigars.

just telling ya what the people on the other side of the fence see how it is and Burke won us our first Cup so some fans are going to believe he is doing SOMETHING right so they support what he says and does with no question... maybe not the best but again did give us the cup so not alot of hate for the man

What Lowe did with Penner is no worse than what Burke is doing now with Niedermayer. Actually, I think Lowe's move was infinitely more tolerable than the crap Burke is doing now to "suspend" the former captain just to make a salary cap grab. I'll laugh if the Ducks tumble down the standings so far that even Niedermayer can't pull them out of the tailspin when he inevitably returns after the All-Star Break.

What Lowe did with Penner is no worse than what Burke is doing now with Niedermayer. Actually, I think Lowe's move was infinitely more tolerable than the crap Burke is doing now to "suspend" the former captain just to make a salary cap grab. I'll laugh if the Ducks tumble down the standings so far that even Niedermayer can't pull them out of the tailspin when he inevitably returns after the All-Star Break.

How is Burke doing anything wrong with Niedermayer? If theres a not a comeback during the year scheme between the two (which in all likelihood there is), then all the blame is on Scott for not making up his mind.

Periods are a useful tool when people are trying to read your post. First Lowe did not offer an obscene amount for Penner, not when you compare it to him paying Bertuzzi more then what he could have kept Penner for. To say that coming to the defense of Pronger for his multiple suspensions in one playoff year would be what I expect of Burke. To down-play what Pronger did as an "incedent" is just plain dumb as a hockey fan. Pronger got over, hard, and all fans of the ducks should be ashamed of that.

As far as DUCKS PLAY PHYSICAL, well, there is a differance in playing physical hockey and just being brutes becuase the offensive gae lacks severely. I know it is early in the season but it looks like the league has adjusted to the lack of skill and excessive "physical" play very nicely. The teams that are playing the ducks are holding there own physically and absolutely smoking them offensively. It is nice to see that.

Periods are a useful tool when people are trying to read your post. First Lowe did not offer an obscene amount for Penner, not when you compare it to him paying Bertuzzi more then what he could have kept Penner for. To say that coming to the defense of Pronger for his multiple suspensions in one playoff year would be what I expect of Burke. To down-play what Pronger did as an "incedent" is just plain dumb as a hockey fan. Pronger got over, hard, and all fans of the ducks should be ashamed of that.

As far as DUCKS PLAY PHYSICAL, well, there is a differance in playing physical hockey and just being brutes becuase the offensive gae lacks severely. I know it is early in the season but it looks like the league has adjusted to the lack of skill and excessive "physical" play very nicely. The teams that are playing the ducks are holding there own physically and absolutely smoking them offensively. It is nice to see that.

periods are evil :sly: ... the only person that knows if that was a accident is pronger so OF COURSE all the duck fans and burke (unless he talked to him in the back before games started and told him elbow someone in the face which iam pretty sure you think) believe that it was a accident... if one of the red wings does the exact same thing as pronger all the fans will be saying OH NO he did not do that on purpose it was CLEARLY an accident dont tell me otherwise and the ducks are getting shut down offensivly and their opponents ARE holding there own but like u said only beggining of season and we are missing 3 people.. and have jet lag (hate to use the jet lag as an excuse but everyone has to figure that CAN be a factor)

Edited by Duck Guy

I know its been said before, and argued when the situation came about. But Lowe was in a tough spot. His franchise player left, his job and career woulda been on the line. He had to do something, and it is No secret that Edmonton for multiple reasons is having trouble landing big talent. So Lowe used a legal option. Whether its a low-blow or not, it was an option he had to try. Sure I woulda bin chocked if he went after Z, but a guy has to do what he has to do, right?

I respected Burke for a looong time. He helped to bring Vancouver out of the NHL basement, he added the pieces to make the Ducks champs, BUT ... his non-stop whinning (ie. 02' playoff round against us, and the above situation) just go to show what a ****** ass-clown he is.