• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Cheli24

Ilya Kovalchuk scores 3 goals in the 3rd period tonight..

Rate this topic

...and the Thrashers still got beat by the "spezza-less" Sens. (6-4). Kovalchuk is an amazing player, but one amazing player can't take this team out of pathetic status. I kind of feel sorry for them. lol

Edited by Cheli24

i think u should feel sorry for me though. All my fantasy players played tonight and i forgot that Koval was on my bench and it was to late to put him in active position for today. So i missed out on those 3 goals. And you are right more people need to contributre for the thrashers to be good... let alone beat a team like Ottawa. Thrashers not looking that good this season so far. But that can change if people step up the plate. :cool:

I think this just goes to show how bad the Thrashers really are.. I have heard people blame just about everyone on the Thrashers roster for their slow start but when you have a player come out, step up the the plate and score 3 third period goals and you still cant get a point out of it.. I cant even think of words to descibe how bad that must be...

Teams like this make me proud to be a Red Wings fan..

Kovalchuk has really matured as a player. His work ethic has improved, and he's practically carrying that team. I feel sorry for him too. It's a shame the Atlanta organization can't build a better team around him.

Fil has higher trade value, but whatever... toss 'em both in for Ilya. Did you know he's less than a year older than either Jiri or Val? Crazy...

Flip and Huds? No way!

I just really hate the idea of trading away so many of our youngsters. Kronwall is about the only one I'd be willing to trade because we have a lot of defensemen coming through the ranks. Obviously Kovalchuk is an incredible player, and there aren’t many more I’d prefer to watch, but he’s appalling defensively, not that it really matters when he can put up the points like he can. It’s just that trading away 2 current up-and-coming NHL’ers, 2 good prospects, and a 1st round pick isn’t worth the return, even if it is Kovalchuk.

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Flip and Huds? No way!

I just really hate the idea of trading away so many of our youngsters. Kronwall is about the only one I'd be willing to trade because we have a lot of defensemen coming through the ranks. Obviously Kovalchuk is an incredible player, and there aren’t many more I’d prefer to watch, but he’s appalling defensively, not that it really matters when he can put up the points like he can. It’s just that trading away 2 current up-and-coming NHL’ers, 2 good prospects, and a 1st round pick isn’t worth the return, even if it is Kovalchuk.

For Ilya? Absolutely. And for the record he hasn't been "appalling" defensively since he was a teenager. He's gotten considerably better. He's not a two-way threat, but he won't hurt you.

And as for trading away so many of our youngsters. Ilya is a youngster. Barely older than Hudler and Filppula. 2-3 years younger than Kronwall. And he's also a true superstar. If you want to land a guy like him without putting yourself in position to draft #1 overall, you're going to have to give something of considerable (or several somethings of lesser but cummulative) value up.

Kronwall gets replaced by one of the two kids left or hell even Meech as he's been very steady. Fil and/or Hudler gets replaced by Ilya. And the other pieces haven't factored into the Wings yet so they aren't too much of a loss and they'll be replaced in future drafts.

Though realistically this is a hand full of nickels for a dollar. Very rarely do these things happen. And considering Ilya (and Enstrom) are the only things going right for Atlanta this year I doubt he moves any time soon. Hossa on the other hand....

For Ilya? Absolutely. And for the record he hasn't been "appalling" defensively since he was a teenager. He's gotten considerably better. He's not a two-way threat, but he won't hurt you.

And as for trading away so many of our youngsters. Ilya is a youngster. Barely older than Hudler and Filppula. 2-3 years younger than Kronwall. And he's also a true superstar. If you want to land a guy like him without putting yourself in position to draft #1 overall, you're going to have to give something of considerable (or several somethings of lesser but cummulative) value up.

Kronwall gets replaced by one of the two kids left or hell even Meech as he's been very steady. Fil and/or Hudler gets replaced by Ilya. And the other pieces haven't factored into the Wings yet so they aren't too much of a loss and they'll be replaced in future drafts.

Though realistically this is a hand full of nickels for a dollar. Very rarely do these things happen. And considering Ilya (and Enstrom) are the only things going right for Atlanta this year I doubt he moves any time soon. Hossa on the other hand....

Yes you're right, I guess I just dislike the idea of trading in general. You draft guys, watch them develop, then go ahead and trade them? I understand it's a big part of sports, and you have to give to get, but trading away so many future pieces of this organisation is a negative as far as I'm concerned.

Yes you're right, I guess I just dislike the idea of trading in general. You draft guys, watch them develop, then go ahead and trade them? I understand it's a big part of sports, and you have to give to get, but trading away so many future pieces of this organisation is a negative as far as I'm concerned.

We don't have room for all the guys we draft. If we can flip a handful of them for a cornerstone type player that we have no hope in hell of drafting ourselves any time soon, you do it. Yeah losing Kronwall and Filppula/Hudler/whoever would suck but there would still be guys like Kindl, Ericsson, Smith, Pyett, Mursak, Ryno, Abdelkader, Ritola, Axelsson, Andersson, etc... all still in the pipeline. And even if some of those don't pan out, it's going to be awful hard to find a spot for the ones that do with the big club. Not to mention anyone else the Wings draft between now and the time some of those are NHL ready. Pro hockey is first and foremost a business. If a prospect can help out your team by becoming a trade asset rather than a future player on the roster, so be it. You just hope that when you decide to move one prospect and keep another that you make the right choice.

We don't have room for all the guys we draft. If we can flip a handful of them for a cornerstone type player that we have no hope in hell of drafting ourselves any time soon, you do it. Yeah losing Kronwall and Filppula/Hudler/whoever would suck but there would still be guys like Kindl, Ericsson, Smith, Pyett, Mursak, Ryno, Abdelkader, Ritola, Axelsson, Andersson, etc... all still in the pipeline. And even if some of those don't pan out, it's going to be awful hard to find a spot for the ones that do with the big club. Not to mention anyone else the Wings draft between now and the time some of those are NHL ready. Pro hockey is first and foremost a business. If a prospect can help out your team by becoming a trade asset rather than a future player on the roster, so be it. You just hope that when you decide to move one prospect and keep another that you make the right choice.

The other day I tried to make a future line-up of the prospects who are developing nicely and it was awfully hard to fit them into the same team. Some won't make it, some will be traded simply because there isn't room for them all, but IMO when you've got young guys like Hudler and Filppula who can clearly play at the top level you don't trade them away. Surely you trade guys who are a surplas to your needs, Huds and Flip aren't in that category, therefore they shouldn't be traded. You're giving up a fair peice of the future and I for one aren't prepared to let that happen.

BTW, still spewin' we got rid of Tomas Fleischmann. :lol:

i think u should feel sorry for me though. All my fantasy players played tonight and i forgot that Koval was on my bench and it was to late to put him in active position for today. So i missed out on those 3 goals. And you are right more people need to contributre for the thrashers to be good... let alone beat a team like Ottawa. Thrashers not looking that good this season so far. But that can change if people step up the plate. :cool:

I didn't miss out on them :P

Two of them were PP, which actually helped me out a lot--I have a slim lead in PP points this week, and the guy I'm playing has Zherdev and Hainsey, who both collected a PPP on the Jackets' goal last night against your Ducks. Thanks Kovy!

Kovalchuk is crazy. As a matter of fact, all 1st overall picks currently playing in the NHL right now are NUTS. Scouts know man, scouts know.

...and the Thrashers still got beat by the "spezza-less" Sens. (6-4). Kovalchuk is an amazing player, but one amazing player can't take this team out of pathetic status. I kind of feel sorry for them. lol

Atlanta played Tampa Bay tonight Not the sens, and they won 6-4.

and Not all of his goals were in the 3rd one of kovalchuks goals was in the second.

:P not trying to be mean just pointing things out.

Edited by zata40

Atlanta played Tampa Bay tonight Not the sens, and they won 6-4.

and Not all of his goals were in the 3rd one of kovalchuks goals was in the second.

You are responding to a Nov. 1 quote. 2 different games....2 hat tricks for Kovalchuk.

He is really coming alive and trying to pick his team up. Even after that horrendous start they're not out of it since they play in the SouthEast Division.