• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Addition by subtraction

Rate this topic

Obviously, the main difference between the 06/07 team and the 07/08 team is the superb play of Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. But is it possible that we are better because we lost Robert Lang, Kyle Calder/Jason Williams, and Danny Markov? All of those players received a decent amount of ice time and were basically dead weight. Without them, guys like Jiri Hudler, Valterri Filpulla, Johan Franzen, and Dan Cleary have received more ice time and have thrived.

Obviously, the main difference between the 06/07 team and the 07/08 team is the superb play of Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. But is it possible that we are better because we lost Robert Lang, Kyle Calder/Jason Williams, and Danny Markov? All of those players received a decent amount of ice time and were basically dead weight. Without them, guys like Jiri Hudler, Valterri Filpulla, Johan Franzen, and Dan Cleary have received more ice time and have thrived.

Yes.

Yes AND no. Calder was injured during the playoffs and should've recieved another chance to show his worth, but not at the price he got to go to LA. Detroit should've locked him up earlier, in my opinion, and hoped for a Cleary-like transformation. Calder does have talent, don't let anyone fool you. He'd have been very useful on the 3rd line because it'd free Cleary up to move onto the top two lines where he belongs.

Jason Williams was dead weight after the concussion (sad, but true- I think the change of scenery has done him good though, so that's a plus). Lang was a turn-over machine and that caused havoc for this team. Honestly- we needed his points, not his sloppiness. Moreover, his propensity to "float" and apparent lack of hustle did not contribute to a positive atmosphere.

Markov, however, is a real loss. His hits and solid D were very important to Detroit's sucess last year. That being said- Detroit is far too deep in terms of defensive prospects to warrent a big fat long-term contract for Markov.

I'd like to see Holland to sign Markov as late as possible to bring him in for the playoffs while keeping the cap-hit low.

I agree that losing Lang, who's floating style and inability to dig along the boards, and Williams/Calders streaky, play decent then play completely horrible styles has the Wings much better off. This year they are faster, hungrier, and work harder, and it shows night in, night out. I don't agree that Markov fits into that category however. I liked Markov on the backend and was disappointed they didn't resign him. He was a great stay-at-home defenseman with a physical edge, the kind of player some people say is the missing piece on the Wings blueline this season.

Better off without Lang, Williams, or Calder. Could definately use Markov.

Either way, the Detroit Red Wings are dominant this season and hopefully can keep pace, of course, not breaking stride as they move into the post season. Hate to say it this early, but could you imagine a regular season record like '95-'96 only this time with a Stanley Cup?! shh shh... its too early....

I agree that losing Lang, who's floating style and inability to dig along the boards, and Williams/Calders streaky, play decent then play completely horrible styles has the Wings much better off. This year they are faster, hungrier, and work harder, and it shows night in, night out. I don't agree that Markov fits into that category however. I liked Markov on the backend and was disappointed they didn't resign him. He was a great stay-at-home defenseman with a physical edge, the kind of player some people say is the missing piece on the Wings blueline this season.

Better off without Lang, Williams, or Calder. Could definately use Markov.

Either way, the Detroit Red Wings are dominant this season and hopefully can keep pace, of course, not breaking stride as they move into the post season. Hate to say it this early, but could you imagine a regular season record like '95-'96 only this time with a Stanley Cup?! shh shh... its too early....

Pretty much spot on.

Lang has 10 goals already for Chicago, which is great for him obviously. As ridiculous as the ripping on him was, a change of scenery for him was defninitely needed, and him and Babcock rarely saw things eye to eye it seems.

While our defense is far from struggling, I wouldn't mind having another guy bring a respectable physical game right now. Markov wasn't overly dominating by any stretch of the imagination, but he fits this mold.

I would have liked to see Calder and Markov return. Lang put up points but was an albatross around the neck of the team.

I do wish Cleary could play on the top two lines, I don't think we need a 2nd line scorer (though that'd be nice), but maybe someone to fill in the bottom, just so the players that need more playing time can get it.

Guest Crymson

Care to elaborate on how losing Markov's physical presence and unmatched passion for the game was "dead weight."

Oh, F***. Not the 'Markov was physical!" line again, please. Markov was hardly physical. Aside from his hit on Stoll, where did you see him hitting anyone hard? Most of the time, I'd see him AVOIDING making hits.

No, in short, the Wings haven't replaced Lang's point production. Neither Flip nor Rex are going to equal Lang's 52 points of last season. As horrible as Lang was believed to be, he was a +12.

With Williams, you can insert either Flip or Rex as his replacement.

Markov' spot is still very vacant, and needs to be addressed.

As for flourishing with those other guys gone, Franzen is actually behind his ppg average from last season. Rex and Flip's production has more to do with maturation than it does Lang and co. being gone. And Cleary is right on pace to match last seasons output.

No, in short, the Wings haven't replaced Lang's point production. Neither Flip nor Rex are going to equal Lang's 52 points of last season.

I don't know dude- Huddles has 22pts in 35 games. That projects to 52 points. Yeah- that's a projection, but it also includes the ~15 game cold streak he started the year with. Hudler seems to warm up as a player, not cool down.

Schneider is definitely being missed...especailly on the PP.

I had thought that part of the reason that the Wings didn't resign Schneider was because they diidn't think they could afford both him and Markov......

Instead, they signed Rafalski for more than Schneider accepted from the Ducks and didn't sign Markov at all.

I have no idea what they were thinking there. Rafalski's a good player but he can't take the place of both Markov and Schneider. :(

I had thought that part of the reason that the Wings didn't resign Schneider was because they diidn't think they could afford both him and Markov......

Instead, they signed Rafalski for more than Schneider accepted from the Ducks and didn't sign Markov at all.

I have no idea what they were thinking there. Rafalski's a good player but he can't take the place of both Markov and Schneider. :(

The Wings are #1 n the league on the PP without Schneider.

Rafalski wasn't brought in to replace Markov as the two play different styles/games. He was brought in to replace Schneider. Rafalski has 28 points in 35 games, which is a pretty slick rate for a defenseman when we're not in the high-flying scoring days of the 80's/early 90's.

While I definitely liked Schneider when he was with the Wings, I don't think they are missing him all that much because Rafalski is doing pretty solid.

The Wings' powerplay has improved without Schneider. Rafalski is younger and better defensively.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

A late season signing of Markov would be great. Does he have an out clause in russia?

Yeah, Markov is the only one I'd like to maybe have back.

I sure wouldn't mind subtracting Sammy too.....he just doesn't fit in and his style of play (shooting from anywhere on the ice as soon as he touches the puck) just doesn't work well with the current team IMO.