• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

timothy1997

2007-2008 NFL Playoff Thread

Rate this topic

2007-2008 NFL Playoffs  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PLAYOFFS?!?!?! PLAYOFFS?!?!?!

Yup. Playoffs are here sooner than people think. I love the NFL playoffs. So to me, it's never too soon to start this thread. I personally think that this is New England's playoffs to lose and the NFC will likely be decided between Dallas & Green Bay, depending on whom has the homefield advantage. I am also curious to see how some of these teams like the Giants, Bucs, and Jags, are they contenders or just pretenders? Should be an interesting year. Post your thoughts and please pick your pony as we approach the home stretch. Super Bowl XLII is Feb 3 in Arizona.

Call me crazy, but if New England has to go through Indy and Jacksonville to get to the Super Bowl, I don't think we'll see them there. I don't think New England is equipped to play in cold weather the way the Colts and Jaguars are. Both those teams play solid defense, can run the ball very effectively to control the clock and keep Brady off the field, and don't turn it over (especially Jacksonville--Garrard has just 2 picks this year).

The Pats are built to throw, throw, throw. Their run defense is suspect, and they haven't really shown the ability to really pound the rock. I actually think they'd be better off NOT having homefield this year. They'll be fine if their home games are in the 40s, but if it's really cold or there's precipitation of some sort, I actually like both those other teams.

As for the NFC, I have a hard time picking against the Pack right now. It's shaping up to be a storybook season, with Favre playing like an MVP, Grant emerging, and this team getting off to a 12-2 start that no one saw coming. The more I watch Dallas, the more I'm convinced that Green Bay can and will beat them. In that 37-27 game, the Cowboys played as well as they could play. Green Bay stunk, were missing some key players on defense, had an asinine gameplan early on, and lost Favre. And they still had the ball at their own 40, down by 3 in the fourth quarter. Since then, Dallas has stunk, TO is about to explode, Romo dinged his thumb (which will probably be an issue the rest of the year...based on watching Favre a couple times when that happened to him in 99 and 04, I believe). Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if homefield ends up going to the Packers. But if not, I'm really not scared of going back down to Dallas.

I picked the Packers to win it all 1) because I'm an unabashed homer. 2) Because they match up with New England better than any team in the league. 3) I think they're flat out better than anyone else in the AFC. 4) Because I can't think of anything more magical than closing this season with a Super Bowl win. Sometimes it just feels like the stars are lining up. At the start of the year, I would've been happy with playoffs and a win in one game. Now, I'm at the point where I'm going to be crushed if they don't win the whole thing. What an amazing season....

GO PACK!

Call me crazy, but if New England has to go through Indy and Jacksonville to get to the Super Bowl, I don't think we'll see them there. I don't think New England is equipped to play in cold weather the way the Colts and Jaguars are. Both those teams play solid defense, can run the ball very effectively to control the clock and keep Brady off the field, and don't turn it over (especially Jacksonville--Garrard has just 2 picks this year).

The Pats are built to throw, throw, throw. Their run defense is suspect, and they haven't really shown the ability to really pound the rock. I actually think they'd be better off NOT having homefield this year. They'll be fine if their home games are in the 40s, but if it's really cold or there's precipitation of some sort, I actually like both those other teams.

As for the NFC, I have a hard time picking against the Pack right now. It's shaping up to be a storybook season, with Favre playing like an MVP, Grant emerging, and this team getting off to a 12-2 start that no one saw coming. The more I watch Dallas, the more I'm convinced that Green Bay can and will beat them. In that 37-27 game, the Cowboys played as well as they could play. Green Bay stunk, were missing some key players on defense, had an asinine gameplan early on, and lost Favre. And they still had the ball at their own 40, down by 3 in the fourth quarter. Since then, Dallas has stunk, TO is about to explode, Romo dinged his thumb (which will probably be an issue the rest of the year...based on watching Favre a couple times when that happened to him in 99 and 04, I believe). Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if homefield ends up going to the Packers. But if not, I'm really not scared of going back down to Dallas.

I picked the Packers to win it all 1) because I'm an unabashed homer. 2) Because they match up with New England better than any team in the league. 3) I think they're flat out better than anyone else in the AFC. 4) Because I can't think of anything more magical than closing this season with a Super Bowl win. Sometimes it just feels like the stars are lining up. At the start of the year, I would've been happy with playoffs and a win in one game. Now, I'm at the point where I'm going to be crushed if they don't win the whole thing. What an amazing season....

GO PACK!

The Colts have never beaten the Pats in the playoffs at Foxboro. You factor the weather as the reason why the Pats will lose in the playoffs but don't do the same with your Pack?? I don't get it. If the weather is crappy in Green Bay, it's not a stretch to see a Vikings team come in and run the ball all over the Pack. No one wants to play the Vikes in the NFC & the Jags in the AFC, especially if the weather limits the passing in the game. The Jags probably wont even make it to the divisonal round because they will probably play San Diego in the wild card.

The second part of your whole New England debate that you seem to be forgetting two things. Tom Brady and Bill Belichik. Since those two have been together, they have been nearly unstoppable in the playoffs (super bowls included) despite having weaknesses like a running game. The Pats will be a very tough team to knock out in the playoffs.

Edited by timothy1997

The Colts have never beaten the Pats in the playoffs at Foxboro. You factor the weather as the reason why the Pats will lose in the playoffs but don't do the same with your Pack?? I don't get it. If the weather is crappy in Green Bay, it's not a stretch to see a Vikings team come in and run the ball all over the Pack. No one wants to play the Vikes in the NFC & the Jags in the AFC, especially if the weather limits the passing in the game. The Jags probably wont even make it to the divisonal round because they will probably play San Diego in the wild card.

The second part of your whole New England debate that you seem to be forgetting two things. Tom Brady and Bill Belichik. Since those two have been together, they have been nearly unstoppable in the playoffs (super bowls included) despite having weaknesses like a running game. The Pats will be a very tough team to knock out in the playoffs.

The thing is, since Ryan Grant has taken over, he's led the NFL in rushing. The Packers have a running game now too. He only started half the season and he's still got a decent chance at a 1,000 yard season.

I'm not scared of the Vikings because 1) They haven't beaten anybody in this stretch. 2) The Packers just beat them 34-0 with Adrian Peterson in the lineup. 3) Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game. Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game. Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game.

Don't buy into the Vikings hype. The media loved the Giants when they won 6 in a row against the Weak Sisters of the Poor, and now we realize that they suck. The media loved Seattle when they won 8 in a row (or something) against nobodies, and they flopped on the road against Carolina last week. Now they're in love with Minnesota. Why? Because they blew out the Lions and Giants? C'mon. Not to say they couldn't come into Lambeau and win, but I don't see it happening. They're definitely not a team to be scared of.

And there's at least a decent chance that the Packers won't have the potential to see the Vikings until the NFC Championship (if the Vikings are the 6 seed and the Packers are the 2 seed). No way that team goes on the road and beats Seattle and Dallas first.

The Pats are going to be tough, don't get me wrong. But they've looked like ass in the bad weather games thusfar. If you've got a defense that can get pressure on Brady, a running game, and you take care of the football, you can beat the Pats. Philly and Baltimore nearly pulled it off, but they needed to play perfect games since they're not that good. And they couldn't quite do it. A team like Jacksonville (who already showed against Pittsburgh they can play in bad weather unlike typical Florida teams) or Indy can do it. Even the biggest Pats homer on the planet, Bill Simmons, has expressed fear that the Pats might be better suited to playing indoors and that they might not be built to play in a bad weather game.

If the Jags play the Chargers, I'm picking Jacksonville, but that would be a good game. Norv Turner and Phil Rivers in a playoff game though? Sounds like fun.

The thing is, since Ryan Grant has taken over, he's led the NFL in rushing. The Packers have a running game now too. He only started half the season and he's still got a decent chance at a 1,000 yard season.

I'm not scared of the Vikings because 1) They haven't beaten anybody in this stretch. 2) The Packers just beat them 34-0 with Adrian Peterson in the lineup. 3) Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game. Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game. Tarvaris Jackson on the road in a playoff game.

Don't buy into the Vikings hype. The media loved the Giants when they won 6 in a row against the Weak Sisters of the Poor, and now we realize that they suck. The media loved Seattle when they won 8 in a row (or something) against nobodies, and they flopped on the road against Carolina last week. Now they're in love with Minnesota. Why? Because they blew out the Lions and Giants? C'mon. Not to say they couldn't come into Lambeau and win, but I don't see it happening. They're definitely not a team to be scared of.

And there's at least a decent chance that the Packers won't have the potential to see the Vikings until the NFC Championship (if the Vikings are the 6 seed and the Packers are the 2 seed). No way that team goes on the road and beats Seattle and Dallas first.

The Pats are going to be tough, don't get me wrong. But they've looked like ass in the bad weather games thusfar. If you've got a defense that can get pressure on Brady, a running game, and you take care of the football, you can beat the Pats. Philly and Baltimore nearly pulled it off, but they needed to play perfect games since they're not that good. And they couldn't quite do it. A team like Jacksonville (who already showed against Pittsburgh they can play in bad weather unlike typical Florida teams) or Indy can do it. Even the biggest Pats homer on the planet, Bill Simmons, has expressed fear that the Pats might be better suited to playing indoors and that they might not be built to play in a bad weather game.

If the Jags play the Chargers, I'm picking Jacksonville, but that would be a good game. Norv Turner and Phil Rivers in a playoff game though? Sounds like fun.

Peterson was injured in that game against the Pack. The weather was perfect that day. Green Bay passed for over 350 yards at home. There was no one the Vikes could even keep up with the Pack that day. Same thing will happen if the weather is great. If its terrible tho, the game could be a low scoring slugfest like NE-Jets, Pitt-Miami. Bottom line is weather can limit passing attack more than a cover 2 defense. Green Bay benefits more from good weather than Minnesota.

While the Pats were not at the best against the Eagles and Ravens, they still found a way to win those games. That is the mark of a truly great team and will be needed upon come playoff time. Bill Belichik hands downs has more playoff success than any coach in the NFL today and that is unmeasurable come playoff time. Until Manning can prove to me that he can win in Foxboro, I am taking the Pats. Indy isn't even the same team since Harrison has been injuried and the Colts need him back badly.

As far as the Chargers-Jags game, LT has been one of the hottest running backs in the NFL in the past month. LT will be the difference maker in that game and I am going with the Chargers running away with it. Jags have a better shot against Pittsburgh if they want to advance to the divisonal round.

I think the Hawks will end up playing the Giants.. The Vikings would hold the tie breaker.. And from my point of view, as Iam a Hawks fan and Vikings fan.. The Hawks would want to play the Giants rather than the Vikings.. The Hawks have a Ok at best run defence, and the Vikings would just bully them on the run with AP and Taylor.. WIth Eli not playing well for the Giants at all the past 5 games, and Shockey out I think the hawks could beat them at Quest

Peterson was injured in that game against the Pack. The weather was perfect that day. Green Bay passed for over 350 yards at home. There was no one the Vikes could even keep up with the Pack that day. Same thing will happen if the weather is great. If its terrible tho, the game could be a low scoring slugfest like NE-Jets, Pitt-Miami. Bottom line is weather can limit passing attack more than a cover 2 defense. Green Bay benefits more from good weather than Minnesota.

While the Pats were not at the best against the Eagles and Ravens, they still found a way to win those games. That is the mark of a truly great team and will be needed upon come playoff time. Bill Belichik hands downs has more playoff success than any coach in the NFL today and that is unmeasurable come playoff time. Until Manning can prove to me that he can win in Foxboro, I am taking the Pats. Indy isn't even the same team since Harrison has been injuried and the Colts need him back badly.

As far as the Chargers-Jags game, LT has been one of the hottest running backs in the NFL in the past month. LT will be the difference maker in that game and I am going with the Chargers running away with it. Jags have a better shot against Pittsburgh if they want to advance to the divisonal round.

Yeah Peterson was injured with a minute left in the third quarter when it was already 27-0. At the time he had 11 carries for 45 yards (And for the record, even against Minnesota's vaunted run defense, Grant had 119 yards and a TD). Green Bay had the ball for over 40 minutes in that game. It was a complete ass kicking and Peterson's injury made no difference in the game.

There's no way that you can convince me that Minnesota has gotten 34 points better. They beat Oakland, the Giants, Detroit, SF and Chicago. Anytime you can win 5 in a row in the NFL, that's something to be proud of, but it doesn't warrant the BJer that they've been getting, particularly when right before that streak they were completely outclassed by Green Bay.

Plus, a big reason Peterson is as good as he is is because he's so goddamn fast. If it's bad weather, it slows him down. Grant has been compared to Edgar Bennett and Dorsey Levens all season--two great backs in the muck.

And I'll say it again: Tarvaris Jackson. On the road. In a playoff game.

As for the Pats, you shouldn't need to "find a way to win" against AJ Feeley and Kyle Boller. You can view those games as proof positive that the Pats are a great team if you want to. I look at it as if either of those teams had had their starting QB, they probably win. As it was, the Ravens gifted that game to New England and they're one of the worst teams in the NFL. Gifted might even be a bit of an understatement.

The Jags have a great run defense. I think a SD/Jacksonville matchup would probably be the best playoff game opening weekend, but I like that Jacksonville team. Their QB is really good and he doesn't turn the ball over. They've got 2 really solid RBs and a really darn good defense.

I wouldn't like San Diego's chances as much because Rivers is pretty mediocre, they haven't showed that they can win in the cold, and Norv Turner is their coach....but they've got a defensive line that can get to Brady and they can run the ball. I'm not sold on the Chargers though. They seem like a team that's more likely to choke in the first round than put together 3 good games in a row.

New England is still the favorite, I'm just saying that I see two teams that are better suited for the cold weather who have the capability of taking them out. If you don't buy it, that's fine. But NE has looked really human against the Jets, Eagles and Ravens....and Jacksonville & Indy are head and shoulders better than those teams. You want to be playing your best football heading into the playoffs, and it's pretty hard to say the Pats are doing that at the moment.

New England is still the favorite, I'm just saying that I see two teams that are better suited for the cold weather who have the capability of taking them out. If you don't buy it, that's fine. But NE has looked really human against the Jets, Eagles and Ravens....and Jacksonville & Indy are head and shoulders better than those teams. You want to be playing your best football heading into the playoffs, and it's pretty hard to say the Pats are doing that at the moment.

That is why I said that Vikes and Chargers can make some noise in these playoffs. They are a hot team and can win a wild card game and then contest with a divisonal game. No way would I take the Vikes agianst the Pack regardless of weather, but all I am saying is it could happen. Jags are a very dangerous team in the AFC but their defense has been better and if you force them to pass, you gotta get shot against them.

Ultimately like I said originally it will come down to New England's to lose in the AFC. No one is going to defeat the Pats but themselves. They have at least played the tougher teams in the NFL and came away with Ws. One can argue that Green Bay hasnt played anyone this year, aside from the Dallas game in which the Cowboys dominated the Pack with Favre in the game. Sure the Packers dominated the game with Rodgers, but thats because the Cowboys were not expecting or gameplanning for Rodgers to play in the game. They did the worst thing they could have done in that game and injury Favre. I would be shocked if Favre were to get yanked in favor of Rodgers in the possible NFC Championship game. Only way you could get Favre outta that game would be to literally kill him.

One can argue that Green Bay hasnt played anyone this year, aside from the Dallas game in which the Cowboys dominated the Pack with Favre in the game.

You could argue that. And if the Packers had gotten their asses kicked twice by the Vikings, I'd be inclined to say that maybe Minnesota shouldn't be scared of Green Bay.

Sure the Packers dominated the game with Rodgers, but thats because the Cowboys were not expecting or gameplanning for Rodgers to play in the game.

Or it's because the Packers got back to doing what's gotten them to a 12-2 record. Throwing the short passes and letting their receivers run after the catch, rather than just chucking it deep and hoping it worked.

Guest DetroitIan

I picked Green Bay to win the NFC. But in all honesty, it doesn't even matter. Cause the New England Patriots will not be stopped. They're gonna finish undefeated, and ride it all the way to another Championship. I wish I could say the Superbowl will be a good game. But the Pats are just so damn good that I don't see any team giving them fits. And that includes the AFC championship game against the Colts(I assume the Colts will make it pretty far). As for the NFC, there isn't one team that can contend with the Pats. But if anyone can come close, it's Brett Favre.

I'm picking NE vs GB. In the NFC anyone can make it. The thing is I really can't see NE going 19-0.....

so do the Patriots lose to Miami, NY Giants, or Green Bay??

I picked Green Bay to win the NFC. But in all honesty, it doesn't even matter. Cause the New England Patriots will not be stopped. They're gonna finish undefeated, and ride it all the way to another Championship. I wish I could say the Superbowl will be a good game. But the Pats are just so damn good that I don't see any team giving them fits. And that includes the AFC championship game against the Colts(I assume the Colts will make it pretty far). As for the NFC, there isn't one team that can contend with the Pats. But if anyone can come close, it's Brett Favre.

Brett Favre does not win in Dallas, regular season or playoff. 0-9 I believe is his record.

It is between Dallas and GB in the NFC and THATS IT. Minny, Seattle, the Giants, etc...are crap or mediocre at best. If the Vikings had any decent QB i'd say MAYBE they'd have a chance, but they dont. Tarvaris Jackson winning a playoff game? Hell no. The guy makes Trent Dilfer look like a stud! I was thinking Dallas for a while, but you know what, im switching to GB. Something about Dallas, and in particular Romo's mindset, is telling me they wont get it done in the big game. Even though Favre is bad at Dallas, i expect this game to be there and the Pack take it.

In the AFC, i'd like to be different and pick someone else....but how can you go against the Pats. I dont think the Colts have it this year, really the only potential threat is the Jaguars. But i really can not see them going into Foxboro and winning. Nah...no way.

Who am i rooting for though? The Browns baby!

The Browns and TB could cause some first round damage, but they don't have enough on both sides of the ball to go much farther.

I'm not huge on the Jags, but to be honest I only can name two players on thier roster and have a meh feel about them.

Well, should be interesting to see how everything plays out for the rest of the season... oh wait, I can't because I'm in Puerto Rico until wildcard sunday :P

I think it would be in New Englands best interest to lose one of their last two games to get the extra pressure off.

Brett Favre does not win in Dallas, regular season or playoff. 0-9 I believe is his record.

That's correct. Well I guess Dallas better win these next two games, since their franchise has never won in Green Bay.

Wouldn't shock me if Dallas has been a clear favorite in all 9 of those losses. Most of them were during Dallas's run with Aikman, Irvin and Smith.

Can't wait for the playoffs. This is gonna be awesome!

I'm getting more and more convinced the Cowboys will not be representing the NFC. They've been awful since that win over Green Bay and now TO has a high ankle sprain--anyone who watched Mike Hart this year knows how tough those can be.

If they come out with that kind of effort next week against Washington, they'll lose, 100%. That was a 7 point win over a bad Carolina team, who is on their 4th string QB. And they still needed two VERY generous calls (the non-PI which would've given Carolina the ball at midfield and instead forced them to punt and Dallas got it as the Carolina 40, as well as the overtuned bomb that Steve Smith caught...he was going to the ground himself? Really? Those two DBs had nothing to do with it?) to seal the deal. That's 3 straight weeks they've been playing bad football. They're pretty lucky to be 2-1 in those games.

Washington is all around better than Carolina, and the Redskins would be in a "win and they're in" scenario if they beat Minnesota tomorrow.

If the Packers take care of business against Chicago and Detroit, I can still easily seem them ending up with homefield.

Yeah that sucked. Like I said in the Packers thread, when you essentially have 4 turnovers on punts (2 blocked, one dropped, one 9 yard kick), you're not winning a football game.

Luckily we probably won't see wind like that in Lambeau. Cold and snow aren't bad. 40 mph wind? You can't even really run your offense. It's cool.

can someone tell me why Seattle cannot bust in and crash this "Green Bay-Dallas" party. Seattle has been one of the hottest teams of late and has loads of playoff experience. Seahawks have been a much better team than they were when they lost 21-0 to the Steelers. They had injuries and werent able to run the ball, but now it looks like they are firing on all cylinders.

I am not saying they are going to win in Lambeau, but you cant be surprised if the game is a tight battle. What do to the Pack fans in here think about Seattle? Contender or Pretender??

Cant speak for the Pack fans, but Seattle is just a mediocre team to me, so that makes them a pretender. That team has always been about one man...Shaun Alexander. Hasselbeck has been good dont get me wrong, but Alexander is what determines the ultimate success of that team. Unfortunately for them, the past 2 seasons he's become a shadow of what he once was because of all his injury problems. He's been averaging a pretty pathetic 3 and a half yards per carry the last 2 years. So even when he plays he's not doing anything. That team, without a great Alexander, is no threat to win anywhere but at home. At Lambeau i believe they take a healthy 20 pt pounding.

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Cant speak for the Pack fans, but Seattle is just a mediocre team to me, so that makes them a pretender. That team has always been about one man...Shaun Alexander. Hasselbeck has been good dont get me wrong, but Alexander is what determines the ultimate success of that team. Unfortunately for them, the past 2 seasons he's become a shadow of what he once was because of all his injury problems. He's been averaging a pretty pathetic 3 and a half yards per carry the last 2 years. So even when he plays he's not doing anything. That team, without a great Alexander, is no threat to win anywhere but at home. At Lambeau i believe they take a healthy 20 pt pounding.

Sorry to say Lou but i don't agree. Im a Hawks fan and watch every game. Alexander was injured as usualy when they first got on this win streak and it wasn't the running game at all. Hasselback finally started to throw the ball and it worked big time. there back up RB Morris is very good and better than Alexander.. there D is very good except for there run defence is aweful and usually get bullyed by teams who run the ball on them.. But I think they could make a game of it if they play the Packers

Weird, I could swear that I responded to this post already, but it's not there.

Anyway, about Seattle...I kind of view them as "Green Bay lite". Everything they do, Green Bay is just a little bit better at it. Hass is good, Favre is better. Their receivers are pretty good, the Big Five are better. Alexander hasn't been that great this year, and Ryan Grant is probably the better back at this point. Green Bay's defense is better.

That's not to say I don't think Seattle could come in and beat Green Bay. It could definitely happen. But I wouldn't call them a team that particularly scares me--though they are good--and I'd be more worried about them than any team in the NFC playoffs not named Dallas (so NYG, TB, Washington/OMG Minnesota).

They're 3-4 on the road this year and the wins were against SF (by 20), St. Louis (by 5), and Philly without McNabb (by 4). Hasselbeck has thrown 18 TDs and 7 picks at home but only 9/5 on the road and his rating is 13 points lower. If it was in Seattle, I'd be really worried about this game (if it happens) but the fact that it would be in Green Bay would have me feeling a lot more confident.

Weird, I could swear that I responded to this post already, but it's not there.

Anyway, about Seattle...I kind of view them as "Green Bay lite". Everything they do, Green Bay is just a little bit better at it. Hass is good, Favre is better. Their receivers are pretty good, the Big Five are better. Alexander hasn't been that great this year, and Ryan Grant is probably the better back at this point. Green Bay's defense is better.

That's not to say I don't think Seattle could come in and beat Green Bay. It could definitely happen. But I wouldn't call them a team that particularly scares me--though they are good--and I'd be more worried about them than any team in the NFC playoffs not named Dallas (so NYG, TB, Washington/OMG Minnesota).

They're 3-4 on the road this year and the wins were against SF (by 20), St. Louis (by 5), and Philly without McNabb (by 4). Hasselbeck has thrown 18 TDs and 7 picks at home but only 9/5 on the road and his rating is 13 points lower. If it was in Seattle, I'd be really worried about this game (if it happens) but the fact that it would be in Green Bay would have me feeling a lot more confident.

Yeah I will agree with that, except for the D part.. I think the Hawks D is really good, exspecially the pass rush. But I would love to have the expericence in Favre at QB... ANd like you said, if it was in Seattle at Quest, I think it would be a bit closer. That 12th man is crazy loud there