• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

A new point system for the NHL

Rate this topic

for the most part, I am kinda a purist to the game and usually think the only real changes that should happen are those to get it back closer to its original form.

With that said, unlike many purists, I LOVE the shootout, I hated when regular season games ended in ties and thought it was almost a waste of time - Keep in mind, this only applies to REGULAR SEASON - Playoffs are and should ALWAYS be sudden death, first goal wins.

Now, in contrast to that, hockey is a TEAM game and I think it should be decided as a team game - This is where my problem with the shoot-out comes in: Deciding a team game, with an individual effort. Yet... I hate ties... so my proposal: a change in the point system awarded during the regular season.

Make it based on a 4 pt per game system, with points being awarded as such:

4 pts - Regulation/Overtime win

3 pts - Shootout win

2 pts - Shootout loss

1 pt - Overtime loss

0 pts - Regulation time loss

If this point system were put into place, it would award those teams that won AS A TEAM by getting the maximum amount of points

Teams that fought through the 65 minutes of regulation and OT to still be tied - also walk away with at least 2 for the team effort.

Teams still get 1 just for making it to OT, but this is where the extra incentive to win it AS A TEAM comes in - If you win in regulation or OT as a team, you can get more pts than just waiting and settling for the shootout

I think it would make overtimes harder fought and mean more.

for the most part, I am kinda a purist to the game and usually think the only real changes that should happen are those to get it back closer to its original form.

With that said, unlike many purists, I LOVE the shootout, I hated when regular season games ended in ties and thought it was almost a waste of time - Keep in mind, this only applies to REGULAR SEASON - Playoffs are and should ALWAYS be sudden death, first goal wins.

Now, in contrast to that, hockey is a TEAM game and I think it should be decided as a team game - This is where my problem with the shoot-out comes in: Deciding a team game, with an individual effort. Yet... I hate ties... so my proposal: a change in the point system awarded during the regular season.

3 pts - Shootout win

2 pts - Shootout loss

1 pt - Overtime loss

If this point system were put into place, it would award those teams that won AS A TEAM by getting the maximum amount of points

Teams that fought through the 65 minutes of regulation and OT to still be tied - also walk away with at least 2 for the team effort.

Teams still get 1 just for making it to OT, but this is where the extra incentive to win it AS A TEAM comes in - If you win in regulation or OT as a team, you can get more pts than just waiting and settling for the shootout

I think it would make overtimes harder fought and mean more.

Actually there's rumors that it'll be simplified even further. 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss.

Bobby Holik came out a few weeks ago and said that a majority of NHL players are tired of the extra point. And so am I.

If you lose, you should get nothing.

There's also some talk going around the NHL offices that playoff OT might change as well.

Some are suggesting that they'll make it the same in the regular season and the playoffs:

- 20 minute 4-on-4 OT period followed by a shootout.

Yes, the Stanley Cup might one day be decided by a shootout. And I know a lot of NHL fans would HATE this. But nobody here can tell me that a game 7 shootout to decide the Cup wouldn't capture the attention of several fans and non-fans across the US. The attention it would recieve would be tremendous.

And to speak frankly, I think only fans of the losing team would hate it. The other millions of fans that have no emotional investment in the finals, would love to see something like that. Pure drama.

2 points for a regulation win

1 point for an OT/SO win

0 points for a loss.

done.

YES

I think OT should be increased to 10 minutes. Seems to be an idea that is gaining popularity and I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented.

YES

1 point for an OT/SO win

0 points for a loss.

done.

I especially like the bolded portion. It would nail those teams like Anaheim that deliberately force games into OT/SO.

And if the Stanley Cup is ever decided by a shootout, THAT is the day that the NHL will finally lose me.

How 'bout we actually play for a win

2 points Win

0 Lost

No more hey we got a point for a tie.

No to a 10 min ot, way to late for games. people are going to start needed points. So they might play a little harder in the 3rd and in the 5 min OT. Then the shootout will mean more. And you won't have stars trying to be fancy they will shoot to score.

It should be...

Win = 2 pts.

Shootout loss = 1 pt.

Loss (Regulation OR O/T) = ZERO.

The problem with this, if I follow, is that it doesn't solve the problem of some games being worth more than others. Instead, now some games would be worth 1 pt, and others 2.

I'll admit I hate the shootout, hate 4-on-4 OTs, and hate that I'm in the minority on both these. But regardless, it only seems logical that every game should be worth the same amount of points.

I don't think longer OTs will gain traction. The time between the end of regulation and the end of a possible shootout is already too long. It's becoming like the last two minutes of a basketball game: lots of stoppages between brief bursts of action.

Edit: I'm also ok with a tie, which again puts me in the minority. Which I again hate :P

Edited by Third Man In

1 point for an OT/SO win

0 points for a loss.

done.

I could get on board with that, I just don't think the defensive teams would go for it, which is why I thought it should be drawn out... but I'd like to see that as well

Actually there's rumors that it'll be simplified even further. 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss.

Bobby Holik came out a few weeks ago and said that a majority of NHL players are tired of the extra point. And so am I.

There's also some talk going around the NHL offices that playoff OT might change as well.

Some are suggesting that they'll make it the same in the regular season and the playoffs:

Yes, the Stanley Cup might one day be decided by a shootout. And I know a lot of NHL fans would HATE this. But nobody here can tell me that a game 7 shootout to decide the Cup wouldn't capture the attention of several fans and non-fans across the US. The attention it would recieve would be tremendous.

And to speak frankly, I think only fans of the losing team would hate it. The other millions of fans that have no emotional investment in the finals, would love to see something like that. Pure drama.

WORST IDEA EVER

Deciding a playoff game with a shootout is a HORRIBLE idea - I don't care about national gimmick, it would be just that a gimmick, people may tune in for a few games, but that would be it and it would DESTROY the integrity of the game :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Unfortunately, this has been the Bettman model since he became commisioner--pandering to fans with no emotional investment at the expense of the die-hards who watch their game get bastardized. I think shootouts in the playoffs will only further alienate the game's core audience, which I don't think the league can really afford at this point.

I would love to be able to simply say 2 points for a win and 0 points for a loss, but I'm not sure if it is possible.

If you go to a 10 minute OT, I think most games would be decided in that 10 minutes, but if you really don't want to end in a tie and you have to go to a shootout to decide, I really struggle with not giving a single point to a team that loses in a shootout.

3 pts - Shootout win

2 pts - Shootout loss

1 pt - Overtime loss

So you read Bob McCown's book. Good for you.

So you read Bob McCown's book. Good for you.

in 100% honesty, I did not know this was already a topic of conversation - do you have a link? I'd like to read it

I definitely agree with it if this is the case... the only thing I had heard to this point was that discussing an adjustment to the pt system was on the BOG agenda this summer but had not heard any specifics as to what direction they were considering

Whomever suggested this idea should be banned from ever doing anything associated with the NHL and hockey ever again.

Playoff overtime hockey is the best, most pure hockey played. It is an emotional roller coaster, it's so exciting. I still get chills when I think about Stevie stealing the puck from Gretz, walking across the blueline, and putting the puck top titty. What a goal.

And people want to change that level of emotion? Come on, be serious. Tell me watching a game that goes into 2, 3...overtimes isn't intense.

You want pure drama?

Edited by imisssergei

One reason I'd like to change the point system is because teams seem to play for the shootout. They just want to get to the shootout. I hate that. Nothing wrong with overtime though, so I think the best is 2 points for a Regulation/OT win, 1 point for a SO win and 0 for a loss. That would make big changes to lame teams like the oilers who still probably have most of their wins via a shootout.

Shootouts in playoffs is absolutely ridiculous.

Having a 4 point system would get chaotic. records would be like 10-4-2-5-3

Edited by Z and D for the C

One reason I'd like to change the point system is because teams seem to play for the shootout. They just want to get to the shootout. I hate that. Nothing wrong with overtime though, so I think the best is 2 points for a Regulation/OT win, 1 point for a SO win and 0 for a loss. That would make big changes to lame teams like the oilers who still probably have most of their wins via a shootout.

I can definitely agree with this, it just kinda screws the teams that fought hard through the game and OT and then lost because of an individual effort, as a shootout, when in the old days, both teams would've gotten 1 for the tie, what about:

3 - Regulation/OT Win

2 - Shootout win

1 - Shootout loss

0 - Regulation/OT loss

Then the records would just be Win-Loss-SOWin-SOLoss- I don't think that's too complicated?

Now that I think about it, I actually like this a lot more... as it's a GRAND TOTAL of 3 pts awarded for a game - It's just how those 3 are given out depending on outcome

I agree...Here is how it should be, and its not all that drastic. You get two pts for winning in regulation and Overtime. You get 1 point for the shootout win, and no points for losing. This effectively makes teams want to win in regulation...win period. You can't play for the shootout, and you can't necessarily play for overtime, although if your a good skating team you might be wiling to take your chances. Ties are stupid, whoever is okay with a tie, should have their head examined. Its like kissing your sister. Its the most anti-climactic conclusion to any sporting event. Not to mention if I'm dropping 100 bucks on a game, I better have a winner and a loser. If you want a tie, then play some chess. We all want to see our team in the throws of victory and we want to see the opposition in utter disgust at losing....But a tie???

If you want some variation to that, then maybe it would be 3pts for regualtion win, 2 for OT, 1 for shootout. The other benifit is we wouldn't have certain teams hovering around a playoff spot because they lost all their games in OT or SO. I know this scenario could lead to much more trapping because coaches would be scared to death of losing in regulation.

Whomever suggested this idea should be banned from ever doing anything associated with the NHL and hockey ever again.

Playoff overtime hockey is the best, most pure hockey played. It is an emotional roller coaster, it's so exciting. I still get chills when I think about Stevie stealing the puck from Gretz, walking across the blueline, and putting the puck top titty. What a goal.

And people want to change that level of emotion? Come on, be serious. Tell me watching a game that goes into 2, 3...overtimes isn't intense.

You want pure drama?

I understand what you're saying. But your example actually exemplifies my point that people only like long OT games if THEIR team is involved.

How much of the OT game did you watch in last years Stars-Canucks game? If you said all 5 OT's, then you're in the 5% that did.

I love watching any hockey, especially playoff hockey, but too many times over the past 5 years I couldn't watch the completion of them because they lasted 7 hours.

And most OT goals look nothing like Stevie's. Most of them are off 3 pairs of legs, someone's butt and in the net. OT hockey is usually some of the worst hockey you'll see all year. That's because every team goes into a shell and doesn't chance anything.

I used to be a purist, but I've changed as I've gotten older. Sports=Money nowadays. And if we all want the NHL to get more TV exposure changes like these will be on their way.

It's been well documented how much ABC, Fox and now NBC hate how long some games will go. It hurts their ratings and kills their other programming lineups.