• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Red Wings and Yzerman Duped

Rate this topic

I can't understand why some of you are getting so worked up about this. Up until the point where Stevie learned the truth, this father was doing everyone a favor. He was making his son's dreams come true by getting him close to the team and one of the best guys to play in the league. He made Yzerman feel good by making him feel like he was doing a good deed. He made the team look good by getting this story a lot of publicity and making the organization look caring. He made a lot of fans feel good by giving them a heartwarming story.

The only bad thing was letting everyone know that it was a scam. It's not like Steve Yzerman is strapped for cash. Maybe if tickets didn't cost so much people wouldn't have to resort to such outrageous measures in order to take their son to games and spend quality time with them.

For all of you badmouthing this caring father, consider how much risk he exposed himself to just to give his son such a marvelous gift. I doubt that his seemingly uncaring mother (she pays such little attention to his life that she couldn't see this?) would ever go to such lengths to make her child happy.

Do you honestly believe the father was doing any of this for his son rather than himself?

So for those of you responding to Jaytan,

If I throw a worm with nice shiny hook in front of you will you bite on that too!

This is disgusting and this is manipulating a person for personal gain, this should be a crime punishable by law.

6 months served, 2 years probation, 1000 hours community service in a children's cancer ward (preferably cleaning bed pans!)!

Guest jaytan
Do you honestly believe the father was doing any of this for his son rather than himself?

To be quite frank, everything anyone ever does is done for themselves. If the father did all of this simply because he wanted to give his son a great experience, you could say he did it for himself because he'd feel like a better father and be proud to have given his son a nice memory. If he did it because he wanted free tickets to Wings games for himself and he wanted a chance to meet Steve Yzerman, he also did it for himself. Either way, though, the son benefited so I don't see any reason the man should feel guilt as a father.

But since he got caught, I wouldn't find fault with Yzerman or the Red Wings organization if they chose to sue.

Guest LivingtheDream

Man, to think how confused this kid had/has to be with all this? Most people have issues with their parents no matter what they do, but imagine this kid dealing with this the rest of his life? Props to Yzerman for handling it all like a class act.

Now really, how much different would it have been if Steve Yzerman had been spending this time with a real cancer kid as long as nobody knew? To be perfectly logical, exposing a healthy child to a positive influence like Yzerman does more good for society than having him lend the same time to someone who is terminally ill. If the kid dies the day after being inspired by Yzerman, the time goes to waste and everyone who loved the feel-good story will be depressed instead.

I've never understood why these Make a Wish programs are so valuable anyway. Maybe if Stevie were a great healer instead of a great hockey player it would make sense.

Wow, I dont even know where to start. I have to say if the article itself didnt do enough to make my blood boil, you finished the job. I realize that may have been your objective in the 1st place. I have 1 question, are you a parent? Your comments lead me to believe the answer is no, but I dont want to jump to conclusions.

I know first hand the heartache and heartbreak that goes along with a child battling cancer and fighting for their life. Until you are in those shoes, some don't and won't get it. If one did get it, they would never question, let alone lie about such a thing as this so called father did. The fear of losing a child, having absolutely no control and watch them slowly go through hell. Watching the daily battles against the pain, the weakness, the illness that treatments and disease cause. Not having the strength to even lift their head off their pillow. Dealing with the possibilty of losing the dreams a parent has for their children to grow up, to strive to achieve their dreams, to have a full, long life ahead of them.

I'm a huge hockey fan, Wings first of course. Any hockey fan looks forward to a game 7. Back in 02, the day the Wings got ready to battle the AVS in game 7, I remember being totally detached, not caring about the game nor the outcome. It shocked some who knew me but didnt know the circumstances my family was in. My cousins 1.5 yr old son at the time, had flat lined and there was strong question whether he was going to make it through the night. Some here may know of who I am talking about. A big part of Blake's story was told in a 2 part segment on Red Wings live through the holidays. We are one of the lucky families because Blake is living life today. He is playing out his dreams that the drs told the family were never going to happen. He is afterall alive, walking, and actually playing hockey for the moment. The Wings have been a intergal part of his life, and for that, myself and my family will be forever grateful. The trips they make to childrens hospital help the kids and their families get their mind off things, if only for 5 minutes. Something that is not easily done if you are the one in those shoes. For them, its not "time wasted".

You dont understand why make a wish is valuable??! Plain and simple, it gives a sick child a chance to experience one of their dreams because there is a strong chance they wont have the time to experience it later. Beyond that, it also gives the family good memories to hold on to. Many arent as lucky as my family. Make a Wish can leave those families with good, fun memories to counter act the nightmares that go along with dealing with cancer, treatments, etc. If you question it, to me, it says you don't get it, just as this father doesn't. IF he got it, he would never, ever lie about such a thing in regards to his child.

Your comments about "wasted time" is heartless and cruel. I would be willing to bet that Shanny would argue on that point as well. Shanny became a very important part of a lil boys life, lil Brendan. He mailed him the puck after he scored his 400th goal in Colorado (it may have been his 500th). He showed time and time again that he cared with the time and love he gave lil Brendan. Sadly lil Brendan lost his life, after going into remission for awhile. Shanny was a pallbearer at his funeral. I seriously doubt that after he was buried, he thought to himself, man that was wasted time.

As for those questioning Stevies comment, get over it. He has given up time, money, and feelings to many who have this battle. Props to him for not letting it affect him doing more in the future.

As to this poster, I hope you, nor your family never have to experience what mine has to make you understand.

anyone have a mirror of the original story or still have it in cache so you can post the story in the forums here? ESPN pulled or moved the story and I cannot find it.

So for those of you responding to Jaytan,

If I throw a worm with nice shiny hook in front of you will you bite on that too!

This is disgusting and this is manipulating a person for personal gain, this should be a crime punishable by law.

6 months served, 2 years probation, 1000 hours community service in a children's cancer ward (preferably cleaning bed pans!)!

Unfortunately community service in a children's cancer ward would just provide him with access to things like wheel chairs, crutches, and other resources to make a better lie in the future.....No? Probably better he stay away from influencing other children to tell his lies for him.....

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't heard about this story before, but just reading it make me feel sick. I can't believe anyone would abuse the compassion of a guy like Stevie and the whole organisation like that. If karma exists, then this guy has some s*** coming his way.