• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Red Wings and Yzerman Duped

Rate this topic

wow, what a story. I used to say to myself when watching those "make-a-wish" stories on ESPN, what if someone just totally duped them to be able to meet their favorite athletes. Crazy it happened to Yzerman. However something really bothered me at the end of the article.

Yzerman- "Braxton is a nice young boy who seems to have been manipulated. I hope he can realize he did something wrong. It's not too late for him."

I think the fact that Yzerman holds fault toward the young boy is way too harsh and a bit disheartening. The kid was 11 and completely manipulated by his father. He thought he actually had cancer! The person solely responsible is the father.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I didn't think Yzerman was lashing out at the kid at all. If anything, it seems like he's acknowledging that the boy now realises what he did was wrong, and that even though he's got an idiot for a dad, he can still become a good person.

I saw no ill-will towards Braxton on Stevie's part.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I didn't think Yzerman was lashing out at the kid at all. If anything, it seems like he's acknowledging that the boy now realises what he did was wrong, and that even though he's got an idiot for a dad, he can still become a good person.

Yes, Stevie loves that kid to death! Otherwise he would have not fooled with him in the first place. The kid was just fooled to believe in a lie that just got bigger and bigger every time his tool of a father opened his yapper. The kid has to learn sometime, somewhere, and why what he did was wrong and why people should not do it. I mean how else will the kid learn from his father mistakes if he does not know what he and his father did was wrong. The kid is obviously old enough and able enough to learn WRONG from RIGHT. He will either learn from his mistakes and grow from this, or he can go on to becoming a shell of his father if he chooses to not care about this and anything.

Yes, Stevie loves that kid to death! Otherwise he would have not fooled with him in the first place. The kid was just fooled to believe in a lie that just got bigger and bigger every time his tool of a father opened his yapper. The kid has to learn sometime, somewhere, and why what he did was wrong and why people should not do it. I mean how else will the kid learn from his father mistakes if he does not know what he and his father did was wrong. The kid is obviously old enough and able enough to learn WRONG from RIGHT. He will either learn from his mistakes and grow from this, or he can go on to becoming a shell of his father if he chooses to not care about this and anything.

It looks like the Mom may be trying to rectify what happened. Maybe she can be a source of right and wrong in this situation.

man, what a story.

The good news is the kid doesn't have cancer. The bad news is his dad is an @sshole.

I don't think Yzerman was lashing out in any way. Clearly the boy went along with the lie, but it'd be hard for a kid that young to stand up against his dad in a situation like that. It sounded like Stevie just hoped the kid would recognize the mistake his father made, and the part he played in it.

Guest jaytan

That was an incredible story! I've always thought about doing things like this in order to get free stuff in life, but I can't believe how well this father and son pulled it off. How the hell did he get his kid to be such a convincing actor? The part about him calling Stevie's cell and trying to get himself invited to his family's home was a bit creepy, though. What a stalker! There's probably a great idea for a movie in this.

thats kinda how I interpreted it too.

Seemed to me like stevie was just hoping the kid will realize what he father told him to do was wrong, not lashing out at him.

man, what a story.

The good news is the kid doesn't have cancer. The bad news is his dad is an @sshole.

I don't think Yzerman was lashing out in any way. Clearly the boy went along with the lie, but it'd be hard for a kid that young to stand up against his dad in a situation like that. It sounded like Stevie just hoped the kid would recognize the mistake his father made, and the part he played in it.

It sure sounds like the kid didn't have an idea what his dad was doing until he heard him mention the word 'Cancer' in the Wings dressing room. He must have felt he was in too deep once he figured it all out.

But I was happy to read that the kid started crying when he confessed to not being sick. That tells me that he has some remorse and some heart in him.

Stevie should do the kid and his mom one last favour and pay for the legal fees needed to separate this a'hole father from his kid for good.

At least we all know that this dad won't ever ask 'why?' if he gets bad news from his doctor.

I think the fact that Yzerman holds fault toward the young boy is way too harsh and a bit disheartening. The kid was 11 and completely manipulated by his father. He thought he actually had cancer! The person solely responsible is the father.

I did not take it as, he was blaming the boy. I think he was hoping that boy understood that what happend was wrong, and hopefully the boy learned from the experience. Just because it wasn't the boys fault doesn't mean he cant learn from it...

And yes agree the person responsible is his father. He should be prosecuted and forced to do community service in a children s hospital.

Then that should be enough grounds to take away the fathers visitation rights...

I have always wondered if it was possible to pull a fast one on sick kids agencies like Make-a-Wish, but I never considered that there are people sick enough to try it. The poor kid was a victim of his own father, that is so terrible. It's sad too that the mom finally found out by reading the article. I hope the mom and Braxton can put this ugly episode and that ugly man behind them and move on. Kudos to Stevie for showing his ever-present class and compassion towards Braxton.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
This is unbelievable. I can't believe someone would actually do that.

The guy deserves a hard core ass kicking. I mean, a few teeth knocked out, maybe some stitches and a broken jaw. I hate this man and I don't even know him. But I know I hate him.

For everyone saying that Stevie is being mean when he said "Braxton is a nice young boy who seems to have been manipulated. I hope he can realize he did something wrong. It's not too late for him." Get over yourself. Please. This is what I took from the comment: Sure, the kid was manipulated into lying and do stuff that wasn't right. But what Stevie is saying he needs to understand that what he did was wrong and he can become a better person after realizing that.

Then again... Thats what I took from Stevie's comment. He could of meant something completely else.

The guy deserves a hard core ass kicking. I mean, a few teeth knocked out, maybe some stitches and a broken jaw. I hate this man and I don't even know him. But I know I hate him.

I agree. But what would really fix this guy is if he was forced to volunteer in a children's hospital. If he doesn't realise the error of his ways after only an hour, then there's no hope for him.

I think the best part of the article is where Yzerman says this won't dissuade him from doing things like that in the future, and in fact it'll probably cause him to do more.

He has a lot of commitments already and probably gets tons of requests for things like this. It'd be easy to get pissed and jaded when you've given your time and been manipulated like that.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
I think the best part of the article is where Yzerman says this won't dissuade him from doing things like that in the future, and in fact it'll probably cause him to do more.

He has a lot of commitments already and probably gets tons of requests for things like this. It'd be easy to get pissed and jaded when you've given your time and been manipulated like that.

I wonder if the Wings would hook me up with some locker room visits, some signed jerseys and other swag if I wrote my sob story to them.

Oh, you don't know my sob story. Well, i'm married. Now you know all you need to know.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Wow. I can't believe what I just read. I'd like to say some very vulgur things about his Dad, but I'll refrain. How awful.

oooohh, ooohh (raises hand) can I say the vulgar things for you crazy? pretty please

I wonder if the Wings would hook me up with some locker room visits, some signed jerseys and other swag if I wrote my sob story to them.

Oh, you don't know my sob story. Well, i'm married. Now you know all you need to know.

The probably wouldn't.

But if your wife wrote in her sob story, well...

:P