• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Heaton

Red Wings and Yzerman Duped

Rate this topic

"I'm not going to stop reaching out," Yzerman says. "Actually, I think I might do it more often."

Keep reaching out Stevie. In the meantime, if I ever meet this ******-nozzle of an earth-organism, all bets are off and there are no holds barred.

And again, to think I need to obtain a license to drive a car, but to go ahead and have kids..........yeah whatever, go ahead.

On a lighter note though:

A few months after that conversation with Hahn my phone rings. The caller ID reads "BLOCKED." It's Yzerman.

This is further proof that I really gotta stop screening my calls during the intermissions. I had this feeling back in the late 90's that Bowman used to try to get ahold of me for some gametime incite - this just confirms it. That whole team has my number and I shall now just pick up. T.V. will be on mute and I'll have the phone right next to me from now on.

aloha

Guest jaytan

I can't understand why some of you are getting so worked up about this. Up until the point where Stevie learned the truth, this father was doing everyone a favor. He was making his son's dreams come true by getting him close to the team and one of the best guys to play in the league. He made Yzerman feel good by making him feel like he was doing a good deed. He made the team look good by getting this story a lot of publicity and making the organization look caring. He made a lot of fans feel good by giving them a heartwarming story.

The only bad thing was letting everyone know that it was a scam. It's not like Steve Yzerman is strapped for cash. Maybe if tickets didn't cost so much people wouldn't have to resort to such outrageous measures in order to take their son to games and spend quality time with them.

For all of you badmouthing this caring father, consider how much risk he exposed himself to just to give his son such a marvelous gift. I doubt that his seemingly uncaring mother (she pays such little attention to his life that she couldn't see this?) would ever go to such lengths to make her child happy.

I can't understand why some of you are getting so worked up about this. Up until the point where Stevie learned the truth, this father was doing everyone a favor. He was making his son's dreams come true by getting him close to the team and one of the best guys to play in the league. He made Yzerman feel good by making him feel like he was doing a good deed. He made the team look good by getting this story a lot of publicity and making the organization look caring. He made a lot of fans feel good by giving them a heartwarming story.

The only bad thing was letting everyone know that it was a scam. It's not like Steve Yzerman is strapped for cash. Maybe if tickets didn't cost so much people wouldn't have to resort to such outrageous measures in order to take their son to games and spend quality time with them.

For all of you badmouthing this caring father, consider how much risk he exposed himself to just to give his son such a marvelous gift. I doubt that his seemingly uncaring mother (she pays such little attention to his life that she couldn't see this?) would ever go to such lengths to make her child happy.

Oh would you stop already?

So the time that Yzerman could have spent giving to a kid with actual problems, which is now lost forever, is of no bearing to you.

Are you related to Chris Pronger?

man, what a story.

The good news is the kid doesn't have cancer. The bad news is his dad is an @sshole.

I don't think Yzerman was lashing out in any way. Clearly the boy went along with the lie, but it'd be hard for a kid that young to stand up against his dad in a situation like that. It sounded like Stevie just hoped the kid would recognize the mistake his father made, and the part he played in it.

I'm sorry, but thats funny.

The kid has a real life George Costanza for a father. Funny as hell on Sienfeld, not so funny in real life. :thumbdown: Loser.

Guest jaytan
So the time that Yzerman could have spent giving to a kid with actual problems, which is now lost forever, is of no bearing to you.

Now really, how much different would it have been if Steve Yzerman had been spending this time with a real cancer kid as long as nobody knew? To be perfectly logical, exposing a healthy child to a positive influence like Yzerman does more good for society than having him lend the same time to someone who is terminally ill. If the kid dies the day after being inspired by Yzerman, the time goes to waste and everyone who loved the feel-good story will be depressed instead.

I've never understood why these Make a Wish programs are so valuable anyway. Maybe if Stevie were a great healer instead of a great hockey player it would make sense.

Now really, how much different would it have been if Steve Yzerman had been spending this time with a real cancer kid as long as nobody knew? To be perfectly logical, exposing a healthy child to a positive influence like Yzerman does more good for society than having him lend the same time to someone who is terminally ill. If the kid dies the day after being inspired by Yzerman, the time goes to waste and everyone who loved the feel-good story will be depressed instead.

I've never understood why these Make a Wish programs are so valuable anyway. Maybe if Stevie were a great healer instead of a great hockey player it would make sense.

You can't possibly be so hard hearted and imbecilic in real life. Ergo, I exempt you. I think you just want attention.

Who ever mentioned the Chris Pronger thing was hiliarious!! I about spit my pepsi every where!! Actually Chris is just as great a Stevie is, if you watched the opening to the Hockey season on Versus, you would have seen what kind of guy Chris is, but I know what you meant, I personally don't like Pronger on the ice, but he is a class act off.

As for this tool (dad), I don't know what to say, Thank Goodness God created Steve Yzerman!! This reminds me of the parents that went after the Hannan Montana Tickets here in Nashville, saying her daughter had cancer and wanted to go to the show, well I'm sure you know the rest of the story. Yes community service for 10 yrs at a Childrens Hospital is probably not enough, but its a start.

THANKS STEVIE!!! for being a class act, at least the kid learnt that!!

This is further proof that I really gotta stop screening my calls during the intermissions. I had this feeling back in the late 90's that Bowman used to try to get ahold of me for some gametime incite - this just confirms it. That whole team has my number and I shall now just pick up. T.V. will be on mute and I'll have the phone right next to me from now on.

A friend of mine in the late 90's got a wrong number call from Steve Yzerman --

"Hi, this is Steve Yzerman, is so-and-so there?"

"I'm sorry, you have the wrong number."

Yes, it was that exciting.

Who ever mentioned the Chris Pronger thing was hiliarious!! I about spit my pepsi every where!! Actually Chris is just as great a Stevie is, if you watched the opening to the Hockey season on Versus, you would have seen what kind of guy Chris is, but I know what you meant, I personally don't like Pronger on the ice, but he is a class act off.

As for this tool (dad), I don't know what to say, Thank Goodness God created Steve Yzerman!! This reminds me of the parents that went after the Hannan Montana Tickets here in Nashville, saying her daughter had cancer and wanted to go to the show, well I'm sure you know the rest of the story. Yes community service for 10 yrs at a Childrens Hospital is probably not enough, but its a start.

THANKS STEVIE!!! for being a class act, at least the kid learnt that!!

That happened here in Detroit, too. Some woman lied and said her little girl's dad was overseas fighting in Iraq. Pretty sad...

Are you kidding me? I'm no perfect gentleman and I think we've all told a few fibs/lies in our lifetime, but pretending your kid has cancer?

That is just downright low.

And any responses you might give me will not convince me otherwise.

I hope the father will eventually learn his lesson from this.

I hope that the kid will grow up to be wiser as he goes into his teenager/early adult years. Fortunately, he has more time to learn.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

There are many emotions you may feel when you read this article: anger, sadness, frustration, etc. etc.

But there is just one so called emotion that i feel and that is disrespect. I feel disrespected as a human being, and i feel deep pain cause I know personally how it feels to have someone close to you have cancer. In my case 2 of my family members have fallen from this horrible and terrible medical nightmare. My uncle due to brain cancer, and my grandfather from stomach cancer. You have no idea how the pain feels. It makes you become such a helpless an hopeless person. It really hits the heart deep and the soul forever when your doctor comes into that room and doesn't really know how to say anything but:" I'm sorry but you have cancer." After that all you can do is hope and pray for their pain to end quickly, or a miracle to cure them from it.

Now I don't wish anyone to have cancer because that is such a terrible curse to put on any human, because it is just unbearable to literally sit and watch your family just lay down and waste away from you, and they don't have a fightings chance to overcome the illness because there is no cure for brain/stomach cancer yet:But in this case I hope God chooses a punishment for that individual, and I don't care what happens to him in his future life but I hope he becomes hollow, empty, and scarred from it for the rest of his miserable so called life. I want him to feel the pain I felt and the pain EVERY SINGLE Cancer patients and survivors feel each and every year. This is why I am torn about reading this article, it brought back alot of bad memories for me. Once you lose someone there is no bringing them back, you have to deal and coupe with the pain every day, for the rest of your life. :( I am glad that Steve Yzerman is still going to continue to check up on the kid. Classy stand up guy. :clap:

Wow, just read it and I’m in shock. That is one of, if not the most disgusting acts I’ve ever read. How anyone could do such a thing; it just goes to show what a sick and twisted world we live in. :thumbdown:

What a legend Yzerman is though. What sickens me though is that a portion of Yzerman’s life has been a complete lie, he must feel so used.

Oh no, surely you didn't?

Edited by Aussie_Wing

Wait, what? Did you actually just say that?

Alright, I'm not sure if you just enjoy playing Devil's Advocate, which is fine and I encourage that, but there comes a point where in doing so you cross a line of logic and compassion.

Your current arguement appears to be this: If a person is terminally ill, not only should they not recieve special/attention gifts, but they actually should be passed over in favor of a healthy person for these gifts/attention.

Apparently, the joy that is brought to that ill child's life (let's say from your example he dies the next day) is worth nothing because the child dies. I tend to believe that any bit of happiness you can bring to a child who will not get to live his life and experience what other children and people get to is worth EVERYTHING. That ill child gets to spend a moment with a sports hero instead of getting to have a first kiss, playing sports, driving his/her first car, graduating, enjoying the rest of their lives with friends and family, having children of his/her own, etc. That ill child has had thier LIFE taken away from them and you think it is worthless to give them any special bit of joy in the small amount of time that they have here?

Seriously. I wish I could teach you empathy but it's not something that can be taught. The only thing I can suggest is that you imagine that is your sick brother, your sick child, your sick friend and see if you can tell me that you would not want that sick person to experience any special joys because their just going to die anyways.

Wow, what kind of a man, i don't even consider him a man, would do such a thing? That is one of the most horrible things that i have ever heard of. I can't wait for him to get what is owed to him.

He should be forced to fight Downey with his hands tied behind his back.

Yes, Stevie loves that kid to death! Otherwise he would have not fooled with him in the first place. The kid was just fooled to believe in a lie that just got bigger and bigger every time his tool of a father opened his yapper. The kid has to learn sometime, somewhere, and why what he did was wrong and why people should not do it. I mean how else will the kid learn from his father mistakes if he does not know what he and his father did was wrong. The kid is obviously old enough and able enough to learn WRONG from RIGHT. He will either learn from his mistakes and grow from this, or he can go on to becoming a shell of his father if he chooses to not care about this and anything.

Right on. Like it or not, it was wrong, and there should be no wiggle room in terms of that kid understanding it was wrong. It's easy to apologize to yourself and excuse things you do that might seem like they're not such a big deal. I think that's the point Yzerman's getting at if the quote is indeed his. This type of behavior is simply not acceptable. It's a completely reasonable answer and suggestion and it's not antagonistic whatsoever.