• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

How long will Jimmy Howard stay up?

Rate this topic

So now that I have moved my depressed ass from the tv to the pc, after watching yet another loss. Even though we lost I thought Jimmy Howard looked really good. The one goal hurt us, but I think he did well. I think he deserves a shot in Colorado. I expect him to be sent back down GR when Hasek recovers. But I am thinking Hasek retires at the ned of the season, Cup or not. I think Howard and Ozzie battle it out next year, or something similar type of sharing the responsibility.

So what does everyone else think of Howards future this year and next?

Yeah, I was thoroughly impressed with what I seen out of him today. He sure didn't look like a guy that just had his 4th or 5th start of his career. I hope he continues to improve and develop in GR over this season and become our #2 goaltender next season behind Ozzy.

Guest Jeremy88

I say we keep Howard up here and send Osgood to GR. Seriously...Ozzie needs to wake the f*** up

I say we keep Howard up here and send Osgood to GR. Seriously...Ozzie needs to wake the f*** up

:withstupid:

Overreact much? The entire team needs to wake up is what you should be saying...

Anywho miller you've pretty much answered you're own question. Hasek and Osgood make a solid goaltending combo overall, even despite this 6-game losing streak which they'll snap out of. I'd love to see Howard excel at the highest level, but he has to wait his turn. And he's going to do no good rotting on the bench as a #2 or #3. He needs to play as much as possible, and Grand Rapids is the place to do that.

Osgood is signed on for the next few years, so I think it's safe to assume he'll be starting or playing, at the very very least, 50-60% of a season's worth games starting next year, assuming Hasek retires.

Now, call me crazy, and I am definitely a pretty big idiot, but I'd welcome a Hasek-Osgood combination again next year. They get along well, no friction between the two, and so forth.

However, unless Hasek plays until he is 53 somehow (:lol:), Howard still has a future with Detroit I think. Not in a majority role over the next year or two, but his time is slowly approaching.

Yah because all of Ozzies goals didnt involve defensive breakdowns. that left him vulnerable.

correct me if i am wrong, but say the wings actually did that roster move. Wouldn't Ozzie be allowed to be picked up by ANY NHL team then?

Yah because all of Ozzies goals didnt involve defensive breakdowns. that left him vulnerable.

Some, not all. Watch the Feb. 5th WIngs/Wild game and see what the goalie does who stops the second shot and third. Or watch Howie today, he did the same. It's too simplistic to say every goal was not Ozzie's fault, although you're not the only one, so I am not picking on you.

SWF, you're not an idiot and you know it, you idiot. :lol: I won't be one bit surprised to see Dom back next season, but would also welcome Howie/Ozzie tandem. As you say, with the contract extension for Ozzie, he's not going anywhere. Certainly not GR, although there were ridiculous posters who suggested that for the current GAA leader in the NHL, earlier this season.

What can you do??

Guest octopusdank
He looked solid. I hope Ozzy goes back in.

definitely, im anticipating doms return more though, i think hes gonna be badass

Guest Canadian Wings

ditto

but he'd get claimed on re-entry waivers.

not that i would care.

After seeing J-Ho* play today, I am in a Happy Place with the future of the Wings' goaltending. I will be pleased whether it is Dom/Oz or Oz/J-Ho next year. One reason I would prefer to see Oz/J-Ho is that I believe that if Dom retires after this year it will be because he is holding the Cup.

*jumping on the nickname bandwagon

Guest Jeremy88
How long will Jimmy Howard stay up?

I figure his bed time isn't too late...I'd say anywhere's from 10 o'clock to midnight.

We should honestly just trade him. Howard would be a better backup to Hasek in the playoffs in cause he gets injured and when then get someone solid in return.

He's here to stay - start a nickname thread. I recommend 'J Ho'

He was fine.....square to the shooter, 1 goal game? Scooping up the rebound. He's fine.

I've called him J Ho since 05

I am pretty sure it has been J-ho for a long time.

I think I heard Greg Moore refer to him as J-ho back when he went on that tear through the Frozen four where he faced something like 40-50 SA a game, and Moore said something like with J-ho back there we have all of the confidence in the world. And then the promptly lost in the frozen finals by a 1-0 score to Denver!

Edited by Opie

We should honestly just trade him. Howard would be a better backup to Hasek in the playoffs in cause he gets injured and when then get someone solid in return.

this is hysterical. Beginning of the year, everyone said Ozzie was the best thing since sliced bread. He has one bad month and now you want him disguarded like rotten lettuce. Wings are just going thru a funk right now. Better to have it now than in the playoffs IMO. Get hasek back, ozzie back on track, some of the d-men back and the wings will be in good shape entering the playoffs. Howard belongs in GR this year.

this is hysterical. Beginning of the year, everyone said Ozzie was the best thing since sliced bread. He has one bad month and now you want him disguarded like rotten lettuce. Wings are just going thru a funk right now. Better to have it now than in the playoffs IMO. Get hasek back, ozzie back on track, some of the d-men back and the wings will be in good shape entering the playoffs. Howard belongs in GR this year.

Welcome to Detroit !

Jimmy Howard is El Salvador right now... but believe you me: If he has two or three mediocre games or let's in a stoppable goal he'll be stoned to death by everyone.

That how nice we are with to goaltenders.

Whether his name is Cheveldae, Essensa, Ing, Jospeh, Hasek, Osgood, Stefan, Vernon, Howard or Legace.

Nothing less than a Vezina-worthy and Stanley Cup winning season is good enough.

I was definitely not one of those people who over-inflated how good he was. It was Detroit's best first half of a season all-time and Ozzie only playing every second game that gave him those numbers, along with always completely out shooting and out chancing the opposing teams. Once we have an average team, like Detroit since the All-Star break, Ozzie is exposed for the Average goalie he is.

The point that Ozzie has sucked since the All-Star break and isn't able to rebound is something to worry about because in the playoffs you need to rebound the next game or your toast.

Howard's shown over the last few games he's very capable of being Detroit's backup. Look at Cam Ward, no one would have thought he was ready, but won the cup for the canes with his Stellar Goaltending!

Welcome to Detroit !

Jimmy Howard is El Salvador right now... but believe you me: If he has two or three mediocre games or let's in a stoppable goal he'll be stoned to death by everyone.

That how nice we are with to goaltenders.

Whether his name is Cheveldae, Essensa, Ing, Jospeh, Hasek, Osgood, Stefan, Vernon, Howard or Legace.

Nothing less than a Vezina-worthy and Stanley Cup winning season is good enough.

Whatever buddy, no one is saying Howard is El Salvador and should be our starter. We're simply saying at this point, Howard is equal to if not going to be more reliable then Ozzie.

As result, since Ozzie to the general NHL is worth more, trade him for some more skill and him backing up Hasek will suffice in the playoffs.

Of all the goalies you mentioned above aside from Joseph, Hasek, and Vernon I wouldn't consider any to be Elite. And of these three, we had none of them starting in their prime for us. This is why we haven't had a Vezina winning goalie in Detroit since Terry Sawchuck. We've never had an Top Notch Goalie in his prime with the Wings in a long, long time. As result, we've often fond ourselves bombing in the playoffs and early after having a stellar season.

And I don't want us being the Pats of the NHL.