• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

I will sign if I can keep my number!

Rate this topic

Holmstrom did wear #15 for a little while, but as for Datsyuk and Fischer, those cards seem to have pictures from pre-season games- the names are in that block print font and stitched straight across the jersey. It's possible that once the regular season started, they began wearing the numbers we're used to.

Don't forget that Kopecky gave up 28 for Rafalski and switched to 82.

kopecky is a nobody; rafalski is an established player. it really depends on a who the player is in the team that is aquiring the new guy. Dats, Malts and Cheli are all vets and established wings. they would not be asked to give up there numbers nor should they be.

In the case of #16, Hull used to wear 16, and he took 17 when he came here, i.e. 16 is off limits.

Also, i recall reading in the book that came out about the wings 97 cup run, that when shanny came here they made the guy who was wearing 14 give up his number for shanny. though seeing as i don;t recall the name of the guy who used to where 14, he likely was not a big player.

so i guess it all depends on the situation

I'd imagine Quincey would offer Blake #4 but aside from that no, you don't come in and take a number away from Maltby, Datsyuk, or Chelios.

I had a conversation with a Leafs fan about #13 if Sundin was traded here. He said Sundin should get #13 since he's Sundin. Obviously I said, "no way, #13 is Datsyuk's, he's had it since 2001-02". The debate went back and forth a bit, but I finally convinced him Datsyuk would keep #13, and Sundin could take something else. Sundin's an easy going guy, I'm sure he wouldn't even think of taking #13 away from Dats anyway.

Also, I don't think Maltby or Chelios should give up their number's either. That's pretty ignorant for someone to ask Datsyuk, Maltby, or Chelios for their numbers, especailly with all the successes the 3 of them have brought to the franchise.

didnt homer give up 15 for dmitri Mirionov that famous trade

Yup.

And those Fischer and Datsyuk cards, as someone said, were preseason pictures.

There are no written rules about players and numbers, but there's a code that they follow, like when Rafalski and Hasek got "their" numbers from the young guys. Of course, the young guys don't always have to give up their number, maybe they wear it for some personal reason. And some guys could care less what number they wear.

Edited by joshy207

In New York, Drury and Gomez both wore 23, so they flipped a coin to see who would get it. Drury won it and Gomez took 19.

I can't imagine many players would refuse to play for a team without having their number. I've also read a lot of stories from vets coming to a team and they don't even ask for their number, saying the player who was wearing it could keep it, but usually the younger player shows the respect and offers up his number anyway, a la Kopecky, Franzen, et all.

Holmstrom did wear #15 for a little while, but as for Datsyuk and Fischer, those cards seem to have pictures from pre-season games- the names are in that block print font and stitched straight across the jersey. It's possible that once the regular season started, they began wearing the numbers we're used to.

Yeah I remember Holmers number 15, because I went to that Redwings rally after we won the cup in 1997. I waited in line for 2 hours just to get a Wings autograph. It happened to be a young rookie from Sweden name Holmstrom, He signed my mini Stanley Cup with his name and the number 15, I still have it in my Entertainment center. I still say that ever since he signed my Stanley Cup it made him the player he is today!!!

Like Mark Messier? Oh but I forgot...hes the greatest captain in the world...

I have never heard of Messier "demanding" someone give him number 11. The way it would actually work is whoever was wearing that number would likely offer to give the number up.

In any event, Messier has gone from Edm to NYR to Van and back to NYR. In each case, I don't think anyone on the team he was going to wore number 11, so when would he have had to demand it?

Um, Feds wouldn't be acquired to score 40 goals and 120 points. I don't think anyone - at least on LGW - expects or requires him to do that. We want him because he's a definite upgrade to the guys we have on the 2nd line, he's very sound defensively and we finally get rid of Sammy on the point on the PP. Don't really dislike Sammy all that much but I'd be extremely happy with him gone from there. And yeah, I won't deny it, the sentimental value is extremely high too and I can't see him performing worse in Detroit than he has been doing in Anaheim or Columbus.

Then why bother signing him then? Detroit's problem right now is scoring and the Wings need a guy who can still consistantly score goals.

Help Sammy?? Maybe for a game or two then it would be back to no production.

Sound defenisvely? EVERYONE on the Wings plays pretty good defence that isn't wants wrong with the team. You don't lose 2 out of 3 games 1-0 and have a problem with defence.