• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
umredwing11

Lidstrom No Longer a Lock for the Norris?

Rate this topic

ESPN hates hockey because hockey does not sell shoe commercials.

Let's look at the stats. At the time of this post Nicky's stats are:

in 62 games: 7 Goals, 50 Helpers for a total of 57 points. His +/- is 39.

The next closest players in +/- are Pavel Datsyuk and Danny Heatley with 31. But those are fowards.

The next closest Defensemen is Duncan Keith with 65 games played with 26 +/- and 24 points.

That puts Duncan Keith performing at about 60% of Lidstrom in the plus minus department and about 40% of his points.

The next closest Dman is performing at about 50% of Keith too.

So stat wise, Lidstrom has it. The defense he puts up that the stats don't keep track of, steals, blocks, passing lanes clogged, forcing forwards to take bad shots or bad passes, Lidstrom has it. Leadership wise, Lidstrom has it.

If anything the fact that he was playing with the flu for at least a week before he was injured AND was injured, forcing him to miss games even further solidifies him as the best defensemen and Norris candidate. He's done so much more with less.

If Lidstrom doesn't win the Norris this year, it would be the upset of the decade.

The injury is obviously going to weaken his chances. But like someone already said, he is so far ahead, it wont even matter. Unless one of those other guys start racking up the points, i see nick winning it yet again.

There are some Penguin fans who believe that Sergei Gonchar will win it if he passes Lidstrom in scoring. Gonchar should never win a Norris, his defense is as bad as his slapshot is good.

I think there is a strong chance that Lidstrom will NOT be winning the Norris Trophy this year. Unfortunately, he is going to miss too much time this season and that will give the jack-holes that make the decision to give it to someone "new". More than likely it will go to Chara. He has had a great year, and is leading a mediocre, at best, Bruins team to the top of their division.

I think there is a strong chance that Lidstrom will NOT be winning the Norris Trophy this year. Unfortunately, he is going to miss too much time this season and that will give the jack-holes that make the decision to give it to someone "new". More than likely it will go to Chara. He has had a great year, and is leading a mediocre, at best, Bruins team to the top of their division.

Thats the only thing I'm worried about, is wanting to have a fresh face, if for no other reason than to better represent the 'equal teams nhl'. But if they go for who best deserves it, regardless of how prestigious said person's history is, then Lidstrom gets it by a long shot. Like I said earlier, hes in a league of his own.

What NHL are you watching?

Chara with 10 +/- and 45 points?

The Norris doesn't go to the team who's defensemen is carrying them. It goes to the best defensemen. Besides, let's get serious, Chara isn't the reason why the B's are winning games these days. Savard and Kessel deserve the credit for that if you ask me.

The big difference between Lidstrom and Chara is Lidstrom makes fowards look stupid and Chara just makes them look small.

Edited by Deke

Let's look at the stats. At the time of this post Nicky's stats are:

in 62 games: 7 Goals, 50 Helpers for a total of 57 points. His +/- is 39.

(...)

why on earth ppl justify defenseman's quality by showing his offensive numbers?

that doesn't make much logic. D-men are a different breed than forwards, ya know :)

excerpt from NHL com:

The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position

it says the receiver needs to be the best in the position. and this means

being the best defenseman.

truth being said, barring some huge larceny by the league, Mr. Nick Norris

will capture his another trophy. not because of goals he scores, but because

he's the best guy at this position

that doesn't make much logic. D-men are a different breed than forwards, ya know :)

excerpt from NHL com:

it says the receiver needs to be the best in the position. and this means

being the best defenseman.

truth being said, barring some huge larceny by the league, Mr. Nick Norris

will capture his another trophy. not because of goals he scores, but because

he's the best guy at this position

You make a good point. I don't personally look at just those two figures. However, the Norris has a precedent to go to the Defensemen with the best combination of those two stats. That's just a fact. In the past couple of decades, the defensemen with the best plus/minus and points generally wins. Is it right? Maybe not, but those two stats are a good correlation to good defensemen, even if they aren't defensive stats.

When I watch what makes a defensemen great, I don't look at those stats. I look at how a defensemen assesses a play and then what they do to stop it. How they handle 2on1s. How they clog lanes, while still keeping a stick on their man. How they steal the puck. How they keep the puck in their offensive zone to keep plays alive. How they perform on the powerplay. How they feed their forwards and make transitions.

The wings have one of the best transitions in the league thanks to great Defensemen and there are few better passers, in both technical skill and in seeing the ice than Lidstrom. His assists testify to that.

It's not that those stats make a good defensemen. But it is that a good defensemen will have those stats. But when you look at the Defensemen out there, and you consider the qualities I listed above, you will find no greater player than Lidstrom. He does it all.

If it were up to me, there would be a whole lot more stats kept in the NHL for just that reason. I'm not saying that plus/minus and points are what it takes to win the Norris. But that great defensemen will have high marks in those stats in addition to what else they do. It's a side-effect or an indicator of being a great defensemen.

He's just the best there is in all defensive categories and I can't even begin to understand how anyone else thinks so. If they do, they don't watch the same hockey that I do, or they are playing favoritism.

Edited by Deke

It personally matters very little to me if Lidstrom doesn't win the Norris this year. Would I like to see it happen? Without question. Even if he doesn't win it, I already know he's the best defenseman in the league, and my thought is more than enough for me, I don't need a trophy to confirm it. And I'd rather win a much more important TEAM TROPHY. ;)

Sidenote: It never fails to amuse me how the mention of ESPN gets so many people all up in a tirade. Quite funny as always.

If the competition had been more stiff this year, then yes he might be in jeopardy. However - noone else is even close. Gonchar is only a +3. Who cares how many points he has - he doesn't play defense and the Norris is for the best defenseman. Markov and Pronger are -3s as well. Niedermeyer was on elective vacation half the season - no way.

I'll be furious if he doesn't win it just because the competition is so not deserving. True if he misses more than thought - it might put his certain win into doubt - but last I heard he was coming back "mid-March" which is soon.....

You can thank former Wing Paul Coffey's last Norris for that.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard

in 02-03 gonchar had more points and still didn't win. gonchar is too bad defensively to win a norris.

Guest paveldatsukthenextsavard
That's disgusting and sounds like it would hurt a lot.

not much for hyperbole eh?

That article is clearly a joke.

In all seriousness though, Lidstrom is so far ahead of the pack, that if he tore his MCL tomorrow in practise and had a knee reco and didn't play again until 2010, he would STILL win next years Norris. The year after would be iffy though. He'd probably have to play 20-30 games at least.